Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah I enjoy DRK a lot due to aesthetic, but I really do feel like it needs a solid QoL pass/buff.

I really wish they'd change Living Dead so it isn't a meme, for example. The Blackest Night used to set them apart but now WAR basically gets it too on top of having wild self-sustain and an actual burst cooldown in the thing that gives them 100% crit chance for a few seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

i bought this game after running out of steam on new world not realizing it was expansion release day whoops

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

just got into heavensward. i hate pretty much all of these VA changes but i'll get used to them I know

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Fuligin posted:

just got into heavensward. i hate pretty much all of these VA changes but i'll get used to them I know

I do miss Sam Rigel and I have to admit that the first spoken words in ARR being from Mary Elizabeth McGlynn got me jazzed.

But if you go back and do Coils of Bahamut after being with the new cast for a while, you'll be like "oh wow that's rough" for one of the old VAs

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Heads up, game is going down tonight at 10 PM PST for some hotfixes, will be back at 2 AM

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_NEWS_EN/status/1468412839581077504?s=20

RIP to the late night post-prime time crew

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Heads up, game is going down tonight at 10 PM PST for some hotfixes, will be back at 2 AM

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_NEWS_EN/status/1468412839581077504?s=20

RIP to the late night post-prime time crew

poo poo, lately I've been getting on at around 9pm, since that's when east coast people start going to bed. Oh well, hopefully with the 2002 errors, I saw they were talking about bringing dev servers online to help with the load.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The one other thing I'll say is if a job really isn't doing it for you, it is totally fine to swap and try something else. It costs you nothing and leveling alternative jobs is easy.

To use the examples on this page; Bard has some nice options early on but in practice it's a job where the feel of it is divisive and a lot of the flavor of the job comes later. Warrior is fantastic late game where you are cleaving everything that moves and regenerating your health at an alarming rate (it got treated extremely well this expansion) but early on berserk is meh and Overpower is a finicky conal AOE move. A common one is folks start as Lancer because hell yeah Dragoons and just get ground down by how slow it starts.

If you try a job that looks cool but it isn't quite working for you, look around and see what else you think is cool - or ask other players if something that is bothering you about the job is just inherent or maybe it tapers off with later skills and upgrades.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Looking at the chart someone posted, the ages are actually significantly more reasonable than I expected. The only one that feels weirdly young to me is Y'shtola at 23 (I'd assume late 20s). Also I guess Cid, who looks way older than 34.

The only two that really stand out as probably too young are Cid and F'lhaminn. Biggs/Wedge should probably be a touch older (since they fled the Empire pre-Cataclysm which would have meant both were teenagers) but that's not far enough off to matter.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
A friend suggested I do the Omega raid series before starting Endwalker. What’s the best way to get them done?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

A friend suggested I do the Omega raid series before starting Endwalker. What’s the best way to get them done?

They're all in normal raid roulette, just queue as you unlock each one and have fun. It's a great time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

wdarkk posted:

The raids you'll be doing are normal difficulty raids, which are generally fairly easy and usually pretty quick to get done since they're a part of a daily roulette. Just queue up for them in the Duty Finder and you probably won't be waiting too long.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
god drat Omega raids are good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Your friend is wise

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Do every optional dungeon, Trial, normal raid and alliance raid in each expansion before moving onto the next one.

They're all interesting in some way and wrap up stories on characters or continue them.

Also do each Hildibrand.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
People are saying that endwalker is the best expansion for FF14.

Given all the hype, should I just skip the previous expansions straight into it?

I'm still just beginning Heavenward and it will probably take me half a year before I reach endwalker, which by then the hype would have faded away...

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Even if EW ends up being better than ShB - and it might - ShB is still extremely good. Like, HW and SB are good MMORPG expansions and FF games. But ShB is transcendent. I definitely wouldn't skip that one.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

acumen posted:

Even if EW ends up being better than ShB - and it might - ShB is still extremely good. Like, HW and SB are good MMORPG expansions and FF games. But ShB is transcendent. I definitely wouldn't skip that one.

I see, so the best plan is to buy a story skip for Heavenward and Stormblood andnfo straight to Shadowbringers?

At least that way, it would probably take me about 2 months to reach endwalker and the hype will still be somewhat around.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The hype for Shadowbringers reached its peak this summer, two full years after the expansion released, so I wouldn't worry about missing out if you don't get to it ASAP.

What are you worried about missing out on? Everything is still going to be there six months from now.

edit: looks like maintenance is over and the game is up for anyone who has as messed up of a sleep schedule as I do

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endwalker builds on a lot of stuff that was established in prior expansions, including Heavensward and Stormblood, so if you did skip them to get to Endwalker faster you might just not get what the hype was about when you get there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

shoc77 posted:

I see, so the best plan is to buy a story skip for Heavenward and Stormblood andnfo straight to Shadowbringers?

At least that way, it would probably take me about 2 months to reach endwalker and the hype will still be somewhat around.

There is no reason to worry about keeping up with the hype, play at a pace you consider comfortable if the game has managed to keep your attention.

Literally all the stuff people are hyped about is the story and not only is it not time-limited, if you skipped the earlier parts of the story to get to the ending of the story, you'll probably just be left wondering why anybody cares. Consider ARR and each expansion like they were seasons of a TV show or a series of novels, one with an overarching plot and characters that get built up over time. If you managed to get through the notoriously rough ARR then the best thing I can recommend is to just keep playing.

The only thing to worry about is being spoiled imo

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

shoc77 posted:

If you want to skip then that's obviously your choice, but I personally don't see why "the hype" is at all a necessary reason for it. I assume that if someone uses a skip through the expansions then they probably don't care that much about the story, but at the same it is primarily the story that people praise Shadowbringers (and Endwalker) for, so these priorities seem kind of conflicting.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Also it is the current expansion that they haven't grinded for 2 years, so people feel overhyped for it.

I'd say it is good expansion so far, not the greatest in any way of form.
Probably the worst expansion, if you play it without context from earlier expansions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like, you can definitely buy a skip and get access to a lot of raids and content, and have fun with that, but remember that FF14 is not WoW. What got fans hyped up about a WoW expac was pretty different from what gets people hyped up about a FF14 expac.

And the content is always going to be populated, you've seen that yourself thanks to the roulette system. All content is relevant, and will remain so.

If you want to engage with EW because of the hype and are here because of the hype, well, don't worry. You don't need to buy a skip to be a part of FF14's big moment. Just by being here you already are.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

soscannonballs posted:

Ok it sounds like Warrior will be the best for me. I am used to playing melee/tanks in WoW and the class I want to play, Dark Knight, is a tank.
Tanking is quite relaxing in XIV, run through 1 or 2 mob packs (or all of them is the healer is ok and you're confident), have them face you and not the party, mash AOE and a damage mitigator once in a while, boom done.
One thing to keep in mind, most melee DPS have positional skills (better damage when done from the rear or flanks) so avoid moving bosses a lot like I've seen tank sprouts doing, thinking it's WoW pvp and they can somehow avoid damage this way. It's super frustrating because some bosses do rear/flank cone AOE so we might get hit by those.

Enjoy tanking, DRK is not the most fun tank tho, you might enjoy WAR more. Check GNB later if you want a dps rotation feel on top of looking cool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

shoc77 posted:

Given all the hype, should I just skip the previous expansions straight into it?

I'm still just beginning Heavenward and it will probably take me half a year before I reach endwalker, which by then the hype would have faded away...

MMOs have broken people's brains

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zanael posted:

Tanking is quite relaxing in XIV, run through 1 or 2 mob packs (or all of them is the healer is ok and you're confident), have them face you and not the party, mash AOE and a damage mitigator once in a while, boom done.
One thing to keep in mind, most melee DPS have positional skills (better damage when done from the rear or flanks) so avoid moving bosses a lot like I've seen tank sprouts doing, thinking it's WoW pvp and they can somehow avoid damage this way. It's super frustrating because some bosses do rear/flank cone AOE so we might get hit by those.

Enjoy tanking, DRK is not the most fun tank tho, you might enjoy WAR more. Check GNB later if you want a dps rotation feel on top of looking cool.

They removed positionals in 6.0

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

shoc77 posted:

Your point of view should be "this is amazing, I have half a year or more of a great game ahead of me and it will keep getting better the further I go".

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Vikar Jerome posted:

No they didn't.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mainwaring posted:

No they didn't.

They sure did, check out pug/monk

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Your point of view should be "this is amazing, I have half a year or more of a great game ahead of me and it will keep getting better the further I go".

Sakaguchi got through it all in a month which tells me ff14s infamous length is probably a meme based on mmo type poo poo or something

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

They sure did, check out pug/monk

MNK still has 2 positionals.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

They only removed 1 then? I was reading alot about what they were removing in the run up, my monk is 37

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

MMOs have broken people's brains

I think people have trouble understanding that FFXIV isn't an MMO as much as it's a story-driven single player RPG that happens to have an MMO bolted on the side.

Fuligin posted:

I was the same way. The actual performances/deliveries are much better but characters lose a lot of individuality in favor of "generic RP rear end in a top hat." (Or generic northern/Scottish rear end in a top hat for Ala Mhigans)

You eventually spend so much more time with the new voices than the ARR voices - and the xpacs have a lot more voiced scenes than ARR - you'll definitely get used to them no problem.

And as someone else suggested: if you want to genuinely appreciate the changes beyond just getting used to them, play deep enough into Stormblood that you've spent a lot of time with a character who shows up towards the end of Heavansward, then go back and play through Binding Coils of Bahamut. (minor late Heavansward into Stormblood spoiler, I guess)

Edit: DRG still has all (three) of its positionals.

Edit 2: they did remove the requirement to hit the last positional of a combo to proc Raiden Thrust.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 8, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Skipping straight to Endwalker would be like hearing about a TV show or book series people love and watching the last 6 episodes. or the last few chapters. You won't understand basically any of the context surrounding why people are so hype. If you don't care about the story at all, skip away but like. That is why everyone is hyped, there's nothing to do besides the story right now lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shoc77 posted:

why do you need to 'skip straight into it?' it's a story, it's not going anywhere. and the expansion cycles last two years and people run all the current endgame content even the earlier trials/raids, so even at a slow pace you'll be able to see all that stuff if thats what you care about.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

They only removed 1 then? I was reading alot about what they were removing in the run up, my monk is 37

They removed 4, every single target attack used to have one, now its only the combo 'finishers'

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Some day I'll be able to edit a post more than once in the Awful app without hitting quote instead, but not today.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Vikar Jerome posted:

NIN positionals are still there, RPR also has two, not sure about DRG

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All melees have positionals. Monk lost a few more than people expected and Dragoon no longer loses their raiden thrust proc if they botch theirs, but positional hits are a core mechanic of the melee role. They come later for some jobs (ex. Reaper and Samurai) than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

The only two that really stand out as probably too young are Cid and F'lhaminn. Biggs/Wedge should probably be a touch older (since they fled the Empire pre-Cataclysm which would have meant both were teenagers) but that's not far enough off to matter.

I'm also highly skeptical that the Senna kids are as old as they're shown on the chart.

Anyway, I don't understand the need for story skips myself (although of course you should play the game the way that's fun for you). I'm still pootling along toward the end of Heavensward, and I don't expect to get to Endwalker for months yet. If anything, the fact that the hype will have died down by the time I get there is a plus for me -- I hate having to elbow my way through crowds to get to every new questgiver.

Anyway, I just picked up the Wondrous Tails book, and it's left me curious -- how hard are Extreme trials actually? I am far from a hardcore raider, so I was a bit surprised to find that allegedly Hard trials weren't all that tough if I did a bit of reading beforehand. How much of a difficulty jump is Extreme?