Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"This is an absolute car crash for the government's reputation."

Why do they still have a loving reputation? After killing over 150,000 sick and disabled people through benefit sanctions? After mangling the brexit negotiations and reigniting the troubles in Northern Ireland? After killing a further 120,000 people through the botched covid response while they dumped the response money into their mates bank accounts? While they used their majority to asset strip the NHS, remove protest rights, and allow the police to break the law with impunity? I wonder if there's anyone who could have maybe stopped that from happening by not constantly laundering their reputation? You absolute loving weapon!

AAAAAAAAAGGGHHH

E: this country does not deserve s picture of my dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

stev posted:

What really boils my piss is that this would have been so much more damaging last January when the outrage was fresh but the usual suspects just decided not to tell anyone about it for a year.

This should be the real scandal. There's absolutely no way that senior journalists only just found out about this video now. They've sat on it all year, and decided that now is the moment to try and force change of government.

The public's main take away from this should be the realisation of how much influence and control the media has in deciding who runs the country.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually the only change is that downing street must not have christmas parties, and nothing else at all.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Actually the only change is that downing street must not have christmas parties, and nothing else at all.

I think it's going to simply be "Don't get caught next time"

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

xtothez posted:

This should be the real scandal. There's absolutely no way that senior journalists only just found out about this video now. They've sat on it all year, and decided that now is the moment to try and force change of government.

The public's main take away from this should be the realisation of how much influence and control the media has in deciding who runs the country.

Yeah. The main takeaway I have from all this is that ITV are pissed they weren't invited

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

xtothez posted:

there's a considerable section of the public who will want to know what carrie was wearing and what kind of nibbles they were having and where they can buy them too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I said this a week or so ago about scandals every 6 hours. I read through 100 UKMT posts and in horror what do I see? Like scandals every 6 hours I just want to say loving hell. HOW ARE THEY STILL IN GOVERNMENT

The virgin Kenny labour literally won't say a word other than 'love me Tory voters!

Your second paragraph in part answers the first. But we have literally no way to get the Tories out of government. Even if every Tory MP faced a recall, they'd still be in charge until the by-elections, and they'd probably win most of those if not all regardless. And that's assuming they didn't just use the intervening six weeks to change the law allowing them to retroactively dismiss petitions for recall.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

All we can know for sure is there aint no party like an s-club party

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

edit. its still crap, you need to be over 40 or special. try anyway i guess.

Have you considered simply being over 40? :smuggo:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, the FTPA plus absolutely zero shame or accountability is a pretty powerful combo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
your take a break readers on the other hand could very well be the bulwark of the revolution, they've been reading the tips section for decades and can make half a dozen kinds of party snack - with smiley faces on - with just some out of date condiments and the contents of the toaster's crumb tray

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, said Johnson had not been truthful: “To lie and to laugh about those lies is shameful. The prime minister now needs to come clean and apologise.”
wet fart in a paper bag

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

But then you start being old :v:.

I'd rather keep the remnants of my youth thanks.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 8, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

wet fart in a paper bag

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible that the line from Labour is still just that they want Boris to say sorry and be honest like a good little boy

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1468474563814039552

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They announced that over 40's can get the jab now after 3 months just now but still haven't updated their website.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Even Tory peers are calling for everyone involved to go, Labour leadership just want the silly schoolboy to say sorry and carry on ruining people's lives in power

https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1468500832693981189

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Makes you wonder whether Kieth had his own little secret shindig where he downed a few cheeky pints. Of Brandy

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Zalakwe posted:

If there is a smoking gun on this I reckon Boris is done, possibly even without one if the by-elections go badly.

Fingers crossed despite the no doubt worst possible timeline that will emerge afterwards.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Labour can't be forceful about this because you know for sure they had parties as well during that time and those will be released as soon as they say something that's worded any stronger than "pease choke me harder, tory daddy"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

your take a break readers on the other hand could very well be the bulwark of the revolution, they've been reading the tips section for decades and can make half a dozen kinds of party snack - with smiley faces on - with just some out of date condiments and the contents of the toaster's crumb tray

Also they're well accustomed to horrific and arbitrary life-changing events, which is a prerequisite for surviving conservative rule

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Take a break is like the grapist wkuk sketch, I think it's too much.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the lady who did the cleaning in a place i worked at used to read stories from them out to me, i always knew it was going to be a goodun when she went "gaaaaasp"

the tips sections in them are sometimes comedy gold and sometimes a tragic window into the lives of some very lonely people

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/marcusbarnett_/status/1468505434353016835

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty good likeness imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would that the real keir came with reinforced seams.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

No but my own strategy of "having a heart defect" is paying off in spades.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This is what govt was giving out as advice the day before the party, btw:

https://twitter.com/GOVUK/status/1339594604522270721

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

From a strategic point of view surely calling for a police investigation would be more damaging that calling for an apology or an inquiry, if the cops don’t want to do it point out that they have been doing for ordinary people holding parties to highlight the ‘one rule for them, another for the rest of us’ divide

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look you can't expect a director of public prosecutions to demand the police investigate the government.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They should have a couple of drinks. Chill out a bit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There comes a point where the couple of drinks in the morning just get you back to baseline and ward off the DTs, but you carry on feeling awful all the time. Lmao

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In this one instance I can understand why Starmer is probably nervous of going in two-footed, because the moment he does it will 100% come out that someone in Labour also had a Christmas party. Better to ask open-ended questions and let Boris hang himself.

lol at The Sun pretending this story doesn't exist
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1468354530278613002

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he were worth anything he would also want the labour fuckers doing it to eat poo poo. But of course that's not the point, the point is still one rule for them and one rule for us, just he can't make it in the big boy leagues.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
The point is to break people on the altar of their own compassion, or to saturate them with outrage into a defeated stupor. The point is to keep people arguing for team red, or team blue, or gently caress it team yellow, all the while knowing they're running out of the larder with their mouths full and the kitchen on fire. The complicit are bribed - either directly, or indirectly; or just with the idea that their pile of bricks will continue to be worth just as much as another pile of bricks, or the vile little notion that somebody is slightly more hosed than they are.

Think the only sane thing to do is check out and look after those you love. None of this circus is accidental no matter who expresses what. Turn the tap off. The poison will bulge in the pipes whether or not you're drinking it. There'll come a time to do something, and it will be a few minutes after the last suit earnestly claims that nothing could have been done.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

Labour can't be forceful about this because you know for sure they had parties as well during that time and those will be released as soon as they say something that's worded any stronger than "pease choke me harder, tory daddy"
Labour’s Christmas party:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
My work Christmas party is tomorrow, fingers crossed the government can come up big for me on the day
https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1468527923548332033

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It still blows my mind that Cummings had a reputation as this ultra smart big brain thinker

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope this omicron isn't serious, will be hard to get the public to comply with restrictions after a fortnight of being told that it's mild and everything is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

If he were worth anything he would also want the labour fuckers doing it to eat poo poo. But of course that's not the point, the point is still one rule for them and one rule for us, just he can't make it in the big boy leagues.

Yeah, Labor losing a few MP's to make an example doesn't hurt, they are already the opposition, but it makes more pressure on the Tories.

The sad thing is, even twenty years ago this would have brought down the government and we'd be talking about a general election now. We're post shame sadly.