Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Morbus posted:

Denmark and the UK are the places to watch (for now) to see if the virus behaves much differently in a highly vaccinated population (as opposed to South Africa, where the great majority of the population has had prior exposure to SARS-CoV2 but not vaccines). As I posted earlier, we have good data on how reduced neutralization by antibodies affects outcomes in vaccinated populations, and that is the most reasonable starting point for assumptions we make about how omicron may behave in those populations.

Realistically, the majority of people in western countries, even "highly vaccinated" ones, haven't been boosted, and will be riding out this winter with whatever antibodies they've got from shot #2 however many months ago. Anywhere that was going into a rough winter from delta, certainly isn't going to have an easier time due to omicron. This really shouldn't be a controversial statement, and is (part of) why the "mild mutant" or other minimizing/optimistic narratives are really irresponsible, imo.

Israel also seems like a good once to watch, as they have a highly-vaccinated+boosted population, already have omicron cases and generally have been good with tracking spread given their small size. IIRC they were also one of the first to drop the dirt on delta so I would expect a similar pattern for this variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark is probably going to announce more restrictions shortly - I believe Mette Frederiksen is holding a press conference tonight.

A coworker his wife and 3 kids are all home with COVID since late last week, another reported symptoms and a positive test last night. He has a newborn at home. :/

Off to check the daily stats for DK.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

TheSlutPit posted:

Israel also seems like a good once to watch, as they have a highly-vaccinated+boosted population, already have omicron cases and generally have been good with tracking spread given their small size. IIRC they were also one of the first to drop the dirt on delta so I would expect a similar pattern for this variant.

Once it takes off there, it will definitely be the place to watch as far as boosters go. But (known) cases there are still pretty low and not taking off like e.g the UK (yet).

Back when it was first reported that convalescent+vaccinated sera was able to neutralize mutant spike that vaccinated sera had problems with, everyone wondered whether repeated boosting would achieve something similar, or if there was something qualitatively different about antibodies from an actual infection that then get boosted. Guess we're about to find out, the dumb way.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Platystemon posted:

I should preemptively provided a citation for that one, but come on, man. It’s not an “underlying error” to say “the population of the United States is three hundred and thirty million” because you failed to cite “U.S. Census 2020”.

From each vaccine maker’s presentation to ACIP:

This is a poo poo job of science communication and something you routinely do. Instead of actually responding to other posters, you make vague or cryptic allusions and paste a bunch of graphics or tweets as if they support whatever claim you didn't make.

It is much more helpful if you make claims or interpretations to accompany the data and graphics you link. It is not my job to do the interpretation for you. I can't/won't engage with much of what you post because there are no accompanying claims and you don't do any analysis. Then you often complain about how people won't engage you in civil debate/discussion when you've made no claims or analysis to debate/discuss.

The burden is on you to present an analysis, not on the reader to reach the same conclusion you have (but don't state). Your post I quote above contains zero analysis or commentary of your own, and I will cannot and will not engage with it.

Contrast with something I can respond to:

Morbus posted:

I think you're misrepresenting the antibody binding data a bit. The visualization tool from Bloom's lab ("calculator) isn't based on in silico simulations. They used modified yeast to express CoV2 spike (with whatever mutations they wanted), put those proteins against actual antibodies in vitro, and measured their effectiveness. The calculator tool is just a convenient way to aggregate and visualize all that data.

Similarly Bieniasz's polymutant spike and other work was mostly based on a chimeric VSV/SARS-CoV2 pseudo virus, that let them express CoV2 spike with whatever mutations, put them up against antibodies, but also do evolutionary studies since the virus was replication competent.

Really the majority of information we have on antibody binding and spike mutations comes from work like this, not in silico studies. And these studies aren't new, either, most of the heavy hitter antibody escape mutations have been known for almost a year now, and predictions based on this kind of work have been broadly successful at estimating the effectiveness of antibodies against other VOCs.

As far as population-level epidemiological data, it's gonna be longer than a couple weeks before we have really solid data on things like virulence or vaccine effectiveness. As far as transmissibility goes, the outbreak in Gauteng has been going on long enough for us to be reasonably confident that omicron is enjoying a large (2-4x) reproductive advantage over delta. You can use that information to at least set boundaries on likely values of R0 and immune escape, none of which look good.

Denmark and the UK are the places to watch (for now) to see if the virus behaves much differently in a highly vaccinated population (as opposed to South Africa, where the great majority of the population has had prior exposure to SARS-CoV2 but not vaccines). As I posted earlier, we have good data on how reduced neutralization by antibodies affects outcomes in vaccinated populations, and that is the most reasonable starting point for assumptions we make about how omicron may behave in those populations.

Realistically, the majority of people in western countries, even "highly vaccinated" ones, haven't been boosted, and will be riding out this winter with whatever antibodies they've got from shot #2 however many months ago. Anywhere that was going into a rough winter from delta, certainly isn't going to have an easier time due to omicron. This really shouldn't be a controversial statement, and is (part of) why the "mild mutant" or other minimizing/optimistic narratives are really irresponsible, imo.

You're right, the Bloom lab tweets involve both simulation/calculator stuff and in vitro lab experiments. It's been a long day and that's on me, it was not my intent to misrepresent the Bloom data in my post. My broader point stands, I think--we have some lab and computer simulation data to strongly suggest limited antibody neutralization by 2-shot vaccines for Omicron. We're still lacking in epidemiological population-level data which will tell us for sure what the transmissibility, disease severity, vaccine evasion etc is. I wanna restate here that I am not nor have I ever advocated for relaxing precautions, we should all maintain the same level of vigilance we (should) have for Delta: get vaccinated/boosted, wear appropriate masks, avoid indoor close contact etc. IMO what we know of Omicron doesn't really change our behavior, it just reinforces that we shouldn't relax from the precautions we should have been taking for the last ~2 years.

I don't disagree with anything you've stated. I agree that data from the UK, Denmark, Israel etc in the coming weeks will be very informative.

As we enter the holidays, about all we can do (speaking from a US perspective) is encourage people we know to get vaccinated/boosted, wear appropriate masks, and limit our indoor close exposure. I'm seriously reconsidering plans to drive to Texas and see extended family after Christmas, personally.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

Your post I quote above contains zero analysis or commentary of your own, and I will cannot and will not engage with it.

It’s not supposed to have any analysis or commentary. It is nothing more and nothing less than belated references for where that graph’s numbers came from.

You didn’t have to engage with, but you did anyway just to be mean.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mawarannahr posted:

Can you remember what the first rule is? Have you read it? It ends with “disengage gracefully and report them.” I’ve seen you barge into many threads demanding the rules be enforced how you want them to be, but you don’t seem to give them any heed yourself. Why should people take you seriously?

Because, as I also quote in that set of posts, we have also been told explicitly that we are expected to call out "obvious fake or insane poo poo". So posters are continuously obligated to engage with and "call out" all these things that the IK is refusing to address.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I don't think that is true: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00306-2/fulltext

Most breakthrough infections are described as "mild or moderate", making them indeed similar to a bad cold. I also wasn't able to find anything that suggests a higher likelihood of lingering symptoms in breakthrough cases.
I think you might have a different idea of the clinical significance of being hospitalised for 10 days, or of being ventilated at all. For reference as a young, generally healthy man I had a severe bacterial pneumonia and I was hospitalised for about 1 week (so three days less than the mean for breakthrough infections that you quoted), and thankfully I was never ventilated. To be ventilated for even a few days is a major trial for a human being.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Platystemon posted:

It’s not supposed to have any analysis or commentary. It is nothing more and nothing less than belated references for where that graph’s numbers came from.

thanks, you've reinforced why I and other readers of this thread should not take you seriously:

Fritz the Horse posted:

It is much more helpful if you make claims or interpretations to accompany the data and graphics you link. It is not my job to do the interpretation for you. I can't/won't engage with much of what you post because there are no accompanying claims and you don't do any analysis. Then you often complain about how people won't engage you in civil debate/discussion when you've made no claims or analysis to debate/discuss.

The burden is on you to present an analysis, not on the reader to reach the same conclusion you have (but don't state). Your post I quote above contains zero analysis or commentary of your own, and I will cannot and will not engage with it.

edit: I am perfectly happy to admit I was wrong or hosed up, see above.

Morbus posted specific claims and analysis I can respond to. You just posted a bunch of graphics and then got offended when I pointed out you aren't actually saying anything.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 8, 2021

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Monica Ghandi is an rear end in a top hat and you should ignore her.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 8, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Morbus posted:

Once it takes off there, it will definitely be the place to watch as far as boosters go. But (known) cases there are still pretty low and not taking off like e.g the UK (yet).

Back when it was first reported that convalescent+vaccinated sera was able to neutralize mutant spike that vaccinated sera had problems with, everyone wondered whether repeated boosting would achieve something similar, or if there was something qualitatively different about antibodies from an actual infection that then get boosted. Guess we're about to find out, the dumb way.

tbh my guess for a while has been that we'll end up with a yearly (probably) mRNA flu + COVID + (maybe other respiratory viruses idk) shot each fall, at least in the US and other wealthy nations

as in, COVID might just become "another flu" with a higher mortality and we get a multivalent shot each year against the dominant strains/variants

the good news is that might actually be amazing vs. the flu

the bad news is we just assume a higher annual mortality from COVID and also developing nations get hosed

e: I'm not saying this is good or what I want, but that's my guess as to where things are headed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

Then you often complain about how people won't engage you in civil debate/discussion when you've made no claims or analysis to debate/discuss.

I do not ask anyone to engage with me, and in fact if they cannot do so civilly, it is well that they do not.

You admitted earlier that you had “gotten lost in the whole page of back-and-forth” and confused me with someone else, and I appreciate that you acknowledge that.

I admitted that I should have preemptively linked sources for the graph’s overlaid claims.

Perhaps we could all have more of that going forward and fewer hundred‐post‐kerfuffles about… I don’t even know how to describe the last few pages.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Platystemon posted:

I do not ask anyone to engage with me, and in fact if they cannot do so civilly, it is well that they do not.

You admitted earlier that you had “gotten lost in the whole page of back-and-forth” and confused me with someone else, and I appreciate that you acknowledge that.

I admitted that I should have preemptively linked sources for the graph’s overlaid claims.

Perhaps we could all have more of that going forward and fewer hundred‐post‐kerfuffles about… I don’t even know how to describe the last few pages.

Platystemon posted:

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve made three posts on the last three pages. You may as well quote the other; it’s the one with the bunch of graphics (ACIP slides).

The sea lion made more statements in a six‐panel comic. I genuinely do not understand what point you are making here, but that’s O.K..

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The sea lion did nothing wrong in calling out that dude's casual, indefensible bigotry.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

tbh my guess for a while has been that we'll end up with a yearly (probably) mRNA flu + COVID + (maybe other respiratory viruses idk) shot each fall, at least in the US and other wealthy nations

as in, COVID might just become "another flu" with a higher mortality and we get a multivalent shot each year against the dominant strains/variants

the good news is that might actually be amazing vs. the flu

the bad news is we just assume a higher annual mortality from COVID and also developing nations get hosed

e: I'm not saying this is good or what I want, but that's my guess as to where things are headed.

I really don't think we want to see what lies at the end of that path.

For example, RBDs selected in vitro for tighter ACE2 binding have been produced with RBD->ACE2 affinity about 1-2 orders of magnitude better than the affinities of the best antibodies to spike (~8 pM vs ~50-100 pM). The mutations needed to get there are not very large in number (~dozen or so), and they are all simple point mutations.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-021-00954-4/

Do we really want to gently caress around and find out? Such point mutations will be robustly sampled even in many individual infections. The replication error rate for SARS-like coronaviruses is (very roughly) 10^-4 substitutions per nucleotide per cell infection (about a factor of 10 lower than most other RNA viruses due to the proofreader). With a genome 30kb large and anywhere from 10^5 - 10^8 cell infections in a typical case, it's easy to see that any simple AA substitution that can occur, does occur, many times.

What ultimately determines whether such mutations accumulate and spread as a new variant is 1.) selective pressure favoring such mutations and 2.) a permissive inter-host environment where Rt > 1 is sustained long enough for variants with greater fitness to become established.

If there is a collection of point mutations that can take RBD->ACE2 affinity from ~10x worse than the best antibodies to ~10x better, then it's fair odds that a variant with such a tightly binding RBD will emerge if it needs to--unless we can get Rt under control for a sustained period of time, globally. At that point, it really is down to T-cell immunity, and whatever drugs we can come up with (incidentally, this RBD selection work was done as part of a search for an efficient ACE2 blocker antiviral)

I think it's important to remember that there are endemic pathogens which put a pretty huge disease burden on the population--now (HIV, malaria) and in the past (you name it). For some of these, we still don't have vaccines or even truly effective drugs, and have had to rely in large part on NPIs (mosquito abatement, not living in the wrong place, wearing condoms, STD tests). Do we really want to end up in a similar situation with a highly contagious airborne virus?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Morbus posted:

I really don't think we want to see what lies at the end of that path.

For example, RBDs selected in vitro for tighter ACE2 binding have been produced with RBD->ACE2 affinity about 1-2 orders of magnitude better than the affinities of the best antibodies to spike (~8 pM vs ~50-100 pM). The mutations needed to get there are not very large in number (~dozen or so), and they are all simple point mutations.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-021-00954-4/

Do we really want to gently caress around and find out? Such point mutations will be robustly sampled even in many individual infections. The replication error rate for SARS-like coronaviruses is (very roughly) 10^-4 substitutions per nucleotide per cell infection (about a factor of 10 lower than most other RNA viruses due to the proofreader). With a genome 30kb large and anywhere from 10^5 - 10^8 cell infections in a typical case, it's easy to see that any simple AA substitution that can occur, does occur, many times.

What ultimately determines whether such mutations accumulate and spread as a new variant is 1.) selective pressure favoring such mutations and 2.) a permissive inter-host environment where Rt > 1 is sustained long enough for variants with greater fitness to become established.

If there is a collection of point mutations that can take RBD->ACE2 affinity from ~10x worse than the best antibodies to ~10x better, then it's fair odds that a variant with such a tightly binding RBD will emerge if it needs to--unless we can get Rt under control for a sustained period of time, globally. At that point, it really is down to T-cell immunity, and whatever drugs we can come up with (incidentally, this RBD selection work was done as part of a search for an efficient ACE2 blocker antiviral)

I think it's important to remember that there are endemic pathogens which put a pretty huge disease burden on the population--now (HIV, malaria) and in the past (you name it). For some of these, we still don't have vaccines or even truly effective drugs, and have had to rely in large part on NPIs (mosquito abatement, not living in the wrong place, wearing condoms, STD tests). Do we really want to end up in a similar situation with a highly contagious airborne virus?

I do appreciate your detailed and fairly quantitative post

The answer to "do we wanna gently caress around and find out" should, ideally, be "no thank you, let's maybe not gently caress around." Unfortunately that's not the world I live in (in the US) and you or I don't really have much ability to change that except incrementally and on a local level.

I do think I've had some small effect pushing my students to get vaccinated/boosted. They don't really need any persuasion to mask up since we've had a mask mandate here since March '20 and compliance is close to 100%, it's about half/half surgical and N95s in my experience. I'm not advocating nihilism, basically everyone on SA is vastly more informed than most people. It's very much our duty to try wherever and however we can to advocate vaccination and masking, avoiding close indoor contact, other risk behaviors etc.

I guess the main things I'd like to push back against are "lol vaccines don't work we're back to March 2020" and also remind folks that disease severity of Omicron is not well known.

From computational and in vitro studies discussed here it seems very likely that antibody neutralization from two shots of vaccine is not gonna cut it re: infection, which fucks an awful lot of the world. Three shots of juice and/or an exposure to natural infection might be okay at preventing infection from Omicron, dunno. Very uncertain as to how vaccines and previous exposure protect us from severe disease, though it's expected that would be better preserved than sterilizing immunity against infection.

Monoclonal antibody therapies are very likely totally hosed. Thankfully the Pfizer antiviral seems pretty effective (where available and affordable).

Bottom line (imo): there are still a ton of unknowns about Omicron but it's important to be honest about the implications. We can't relax precautions for the winter holidays, we need to be just as vigilant as we should have been for Delta: vaccinate, boost, wear appropriate mask, avoid close indoor contact.

edit: the antiviral medication Pfizer got approved and other similar stuff that's in the pipeline is really powerful since it interferes with viral replication at a fundamental level that's much less mutable than spike protein. Obviously those antivirals are mostly limited to wealthy nations/people but they're not really gonna lose effectiveness with mutations to spike protein and such.

We could have a whole discussion about justice of access to vaccine/therapeutics but I assume everyone here is gonna come down on the side of "yeah it's poo poo that wealthy nations hog all of the fancy stuff"

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bad news about Pfizer’s pill. It’s going to be in short supply for months.

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1468226991430189059

Here is the video of the interview. The remark about volume is made eight minutes in.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 8, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Just as well omicron is mild then, it'd suck if it was as bad as covid classic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Bad news about Pfizer’s pill.

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1468226991430189059

Here is the video of the interview. The remark about volume is made eight minutes in.

Am i missing something or is the bad news just that it wont be plentiful until well into the first half of 2022?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know yet that omicron is mild? Seems like hospitalizations are up up up recently.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Regarde Aduck posted:

Am i missing something or is the bad news just that it wont be plentiful until well into the first half of 2022?

You have correctly identified the bad part of the news.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think the impact was lessoned by me not knowing there even was a new anti-viral

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the impact was lessoned by me not knowing there even was a new anti-viral

Merck is also bringing one to market (Molnupiravir), but it’s less promising for several reasons.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

Monica GhanI is an rear end in a top hat and you should ignore her.
Can you say more about this for people who aren't terminally addicted to twitter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why does every question in this thread come with a barb?

Here, let me try.

John_A_Tallon posted:

Monica GhanI is an rear end in a top hat and you should ignore her.

I don’t recall hearing about her before. What do you mean?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do we know yet that omicron is mild? Seems like hospitalizations are up up up recently.

No we don't. First results are that antibodies don't seem to neutralize omicron as well, so there may be more breakthrough infections. That's all we know, cases currently might only be mild because the patients are young and/or vaccinated and/or had covid previously. We'll have to wait for more results to pour in.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My stupid school board voted to remove mask mandates in our county last night. Now my two kids get to go to school where masks are completely optional and nobody will enforce it.

I loving hate people.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

brugroffil posted:

The sea lion did nothing wrong in calling out that dude's casual, indefensible bigotry.

I thought it was the woman who made the sea lion statement.

Either way, the Sea Lion Did Nothing Wrong.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Morbus posted:

I do see COVID being a routine part of our near future if only because of the anti-vax population. And it does make me sad that we can't squash COVID outbreaks and deal with these other diseases simply because of the privileged ignorant.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My stupid school board voted to remove mask mandates in our county last night. Now my two kids get to go to school where masks are completely optional and nobody will enforce it.

I loving hate people.
Kroger has a PSA that plays over their speakers every few minutes that "strongly suggests" everyone wear a mask, even vaccinated, but :lol: I think it was me and maybe half a dozen others (not counting employees, and even then) in a massive store last night.

And Kentucky's positivity rate has almost doubled in the last week or so. Fun times ahead—I'm glad I was able to get my booster a few weeks back.

CmdrRiker posted:

I do see COVID being a routine part of our near future if only because of the anti-vax population. And it does make me sad that we can't squash COVID outbreaks and deal with these other diseases simply because of the privileged ignorant.
Not strictly anti-vax, really, because my upstairs neighbor was COVID positive and symptomatic as of last Wednesday and has been going out places this week (we live in an old 1920s duplex and I'm on the ground floor, so I can hear her coming down the steps). Fortunately I work from home and am a general shut-in so I hardly ever see her in normal times.

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 8, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CmdrRiker posted:

There's nothing simple about any of that.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Great news

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1468569829594607617?s=20

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1468584931978842126?s=20

Sucks that 2 doses offer some, but not strong protection, but it's good that Omicron breakthroughs seem to be pretty mild anyways.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Can you say more about this for people who aren't terminally addicted to twitter

Sure yeah, she's always been pushing the most positive and optimistic version of reality. She's one of those nitwits who cherry picks things to present the sunniest version possible instead of being, you know, pragmatic or cautious or anything we need in a highly visible supposed expert in infectious diseases. She's getting people killed with her bullshit, and thus is an rear end in a top hat. I hate her.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pfizer is not exactly an unbiased source about the efficacy of Pfizer treatments, although it's probably safe to say that boosted Pfizer is doing something.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vorik posted:

Great news

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1468569829594607617?s=20

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1468584931978842126?s=20

Sucks that 2 doses offer some, but not strong protection, but it's good that Omicron breakthroughs seem to be pretty mild anyways.

"infection" is the important word here. Of course, we won't know about the rest for a while...

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Pfizer is not exactly an unbiased source about the efficacy of Pfizer treatments, although it's probably safe to say that boosted Pfizer is doing something.

They've been pretty spot on about their Vaccine's protection in the past. Do you have anything showing otherwise?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

No, just my pharmaceutical capitalistic mindset has conditioned me to be wary of a company saying "2 units of our product is death, but 3 units will save your life!"

Thanks America.

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's nothing simple about any of that.

Is that a criticism of reality or my oversimplification of reality?

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 8, 2021

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
As a parent of someone in the 5-11 range who is just coming up on two weeks from their second shot, I'm really curious what it means for that age group.

Interesting to know how far out the two shot people from the study are. Are they 6 weeks, 6 months, etc?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Had to get a bulb for my wife's car the other day. I was the only one in the whole store, including employees, wearing a mask. While waiting in line two goobers were having a chat about how there's no way the vaccine could be modified for a new strain because "it takes at least ten years to make a vaccine, so they must have planned this" and other idiocy. The guy who obviously considered himself "the smart one" was wearing an Infowars t shirt.

All I could do was keep muttering "loving morons" under my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My dad is still agonizing over whether to get the booster because on the one hand all the trial data and reputable studies say it's safe and effective, but on the other hand Dr YouTube Algorithm says a Pfizer whistleblower is warning that the booster tricks your immune system into opening the door for the virus and gives you super covid

There's just so much misinformation out there, there's just no way to know which side to believe, especially with the Democrats politicizing the vaccine!

Mom got the booster at least.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 8, 2021