Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Yes from the very beginning they set up NPHET so they didn't have to take ownership of unpopular decisions.

Then you had Varadkar blaming them for dear mongering before opening up for Christmas, and blaming them after for not giving them strong enough warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I don't know which is worse. That institutional landlords were keeping units vacant. Or that they told FG who accepted that as a good idea.

And all the moronic FG supporters and economists who spent the year arguing that landlords wouldn't leave money on the table by leaving units vacant. Despite the many obvious financial benefits to it.

https://twitter.com/killianwoods/status/1467504877974786052

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

NPHET have been both the sacrificial lamb and scapegoat from the very start, but it's nice to see that it's really only taken hold with the frothing jrnl.ie commenters

See I thought that those comments might be limited to the Irish equivalent of people who post comments on BBC News.

But I've seen comments about NPHET closing the night clubs to get big end of year bonuses on Ireland Simpsons Fans. And that audience skews younger.
So the sentiment is more common than I'd like. Even if it's down to a bunch of people not liking the idea that some parts of their lives are just not workable in a Pandemic.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

See I thought that those comments might be limited to the Irish equivalent of people who post comments on BBC News.

But I've seen comments about NPHET closing the night clubs to get big end of year bonuses on Ireland Simpsons Fans. And that audience skews younger.
So the sentiment is more common than I'd like. Even if it's down to a bunch of people not liking the idea that some parts of their lives are just not workable in a Pandemic.

Young people can be selfish idiots too and I think that's what leads to this. Like finding out my gay cousin is racist despite all the poo poo he's had to go through himself.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
You can't expect landlords to drop rates to reflect the change in the market...

Rates can only go up.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

The Question IRL posted:

That's interesting. Not because the Government has a high enough approval rating but that NPHET's rating is so high.

Looking at the news lately, the Government is trying to setup a Culture War against their own health advisors to distract from their own failings.
(One Sunday tabloid had Ministers talking about "going to war" with unelected NPHET and so on.)
Those numbers indicate it's not fully working however of you look around there are still a lot of people who want to believe a narrative that NPHET are out to ruin the country and rake in that lockdown money.

The big drama between NPHET and the government this week isn't so much over the substance of NPHET's advice, its their habit of talking directly to the press with it. Instead of to the government.

Donnelly and the rest of the cabinet apparently found out about NPHET's recommendations this week from reading the newspapers...

Which obviously shows how incompetent he is, but also shows how broken NPHET is. They're meant to be advising the government behind closed doors, not giving press briefings.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I don't believe for one moment that they did not inform the Cabinet of their recommendations before holding their conferences. It absolutely is a case of the Government leaving them on read and then acting surprised to deflect any backlash.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

I don't believe for one moment that they did not inform the Cabinet of their recommendations before holding their conferences. It absolutely is a case of the Government leaving them on read and then acting surprised to deflect any backlash.

To be fair if cabinet were lying with their very public claims that they hadn't been informed, then NPHET would just leak proof of them having been informed.

Its entirely believable based on evidence and past behaviour that both Holohan is a completely arrogant egotist who'd do such things and the government is spectacularly incompetent.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

If only that ever happened. Would be interesting, wouldn't it?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/government-knew-of-holohan-concerns-before-level-5-nphet-meeting-1.4374938

It benefits the government to make an issue out of this. It does not benefit NPHET because they're at least wise enough to realize that sowing discord around public health and making a culture war is ultimately detrimental to keeping people healthy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If only we didn't have literally decades of evidence of the Department of Health ignoring experts about every little thing...

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Young people can be selfish idiots too and I think that's what leads to this. Like finding out my gay cousin is racist despite all the poo poo he's had to go through himself.
From what I've noticed watching varioys "Gen Z" people I know they've polarised hard. A lot of them grew up watching Pewdiepie and never grew out of that.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

If only that ever happened. Would be interesting, wouldn't it?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/government-knew-of-holohan-concerns-before-level-5-nphet-meeting-1.4374938

It benefits the government to make an issue out of this. It does not benefit NPHET because they're at least wise enough to realize that sowing discord around public health and making a culture war is ultimately detrimental to keeping people healthy.

? That IT story is exactly my point - if NPHET had informed the government of this week's advice in advance, and the stories about cabinet being uninformed were untrue, you can be drat sure NPHET would leak (or openly give) details to the press to prove the cabinet sources wrong - as they did in that instance. Thats their M.O. The fact they haven't very much suggests that cabinet claims of ignorance this time are true.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I really don't know why I bother replying to you at this point. If there was no evidence that NPHET pushed back against government blame you'd take it as you bring right, and when there is evidence of that you say "well they would do it every time", ignoring, as mentioned already, that furthering a divide between governmental and professional opinion is ultimately detrimental to the public health situation at hand.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

But why does the Government get to constantly ignore advice or leak information to the press for the length of the Pandemic? And as soon as NEPHET get tired of being ignored and try out a run-around strategy, they get accused of being out of control?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

I really don't know why I bother replying to you at this point. If there was no evidence that NPHET pushed back against government blame you'd take it as you bring right, and when there is evidence of that you say "well they would do it every time", ignoring, as mentioned already, that furthering a divide between governmental and professional opinion is ultimately detrimental to the public health situation at hand.

NHPET have repeatedly in the past shown they have no problem publicly speaking against the government if they deem it required. The idea that in this one, specific, recent scenario they've decided not to out of respect for the "public health situation" and not because they have nothing is fairly lol

This is the same NPHET that had no problem describing antigen tests as "snake oil" and fighting against making them available to the public for months.
This is the same NPHET that said two months ago covid doesn't spread in schools so contact tracing and isolation are not required, and insisted on this despite evidence mounting to the contrary rapidly
etc

They're proven more than capable of putting their own perceived correctness well above the public health situation repeatedly. When they choose not to here, occam's razor would suggest they have no counter-evidence - not that they've very unusually suddenly grown a commitment to putting the public health situation above their own self-interest, for once.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lol, NPHET and the government are the same class of people, establishment careerists.

They have both told lies or stretched the truth to suit their own narratives of competence and control and will continue to do so.

The government has consistently turned the "money but also ambient death" dial as high as possible in an attempt to keep making money, while also keeping it low enough that they aren't all in danger of being lynched. The ruling parties don't want a bit of covid anymore. The only thing that brings the death rate down is a total lockdown specifically one that prevents travel to and from Britain. Vaccines were not the silver bullet the mediasphere had claimed they would be, which seems to be egg on everyones face at the minute. Its almost like, getting everyone back in the pub was the important thing.

Personal decision making is now being emphasised, which is code for "we're not responsible, but please spend money to keep our class afloat".

The covid response in this country is a loving mess. Island nation struggles to prevent plague - for first time in human history? What do??

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just learned about runny white pudding

Ashamed to be a dub today

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also just learned that it exists, but not what it is.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gonna need some context please.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is that a sex thing or wha

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's when you say you're gonna shed the Christmas bloat by getting out out for a jog every day.
You see it everywhere here for about 10 days in January.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gonna need some context please.

https://twitter.com/EricaHome1/status/1468295615322935296?t=xW4Z_MGeOrx7b7KKbSNMUg&s=19

Click through to see the picture in the op if you dare

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

So Dublin people eat meconium and eggs for breakfast? Got it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can't believe they've had something worse than coddle that they've been hiding this whole time

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Great now delete that from my brain please... Actually wipe the whole thing just to be safe

Edit: poo poo I wanted to see what it looks like and I shouldn't have that's manky

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
So, in light of recent events in this thread… how 'bout that Eirexit?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd be in favour of a Dubexit except I live there now so would be unfortunately trapped on the side with the bad pudding

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Delicious meat slurry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like the Dublin version of
https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1101477028946165760
but worse

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I love white pudding and the pictures of this stuff look horrendous.

But....over the Pandemic I discovered sausage gravy.
Which is taking sausage meat, mixing them with spices and milk and then cooking them. They end up looking like a scrambled eggs version of sausages. But they taste so good.

Maybe if you cooked that pudding with milk instead of water it would look and taste better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Have you considered the electric chair?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

:barf:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

So, in light of recent events in this thread… how 'bout that Eirexit?

A Tory wet dream of a dead empire, any Irishman who believes that is a loving eejit.

Us in Northern Ireland are extremely glad that we're not yet as buggered as the rest of Brexitania and a pox on anyone down south who wants to join this insanity.... tell them to move to England and have done with it. :colbert:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
milk caok

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
As far as I can tell the only people actually pushing Irexit are literal Tories in England who are very annoyed that the EU is protecting Ireland from them

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gonadic io posted:

As far as I can tell the only people actually pushing Irexit are literal Tories in England who are very annoyed that the EU is protecting Ireland from them

Thank the gods for that, i might be up north but after "800 years of the brits" i don't want all of us falling into the abyss with them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm not convinced. Protecting the internal market from Irish pudding should be on the table.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

There's some Irish extremist nationalists that are flirting with it too.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Aye there's always the tiny tiny freedom party who are currently checks notes complaining about people being afraid of a storm

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

There's some Irish extremist nationalists that are flirting with it too.

Flirting with the pudding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

pudding and irexit