Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

this isn't some kinda sexy book you're supposed to sympathize with, like Lolita!

I'm pretty sure Nabokov intended that people read the whole book, so no you're not supposed to sympathize with Humbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
What complicates the issue is that King has attempted to shoehorn the scene into every book since, barely remembering to swap out character names or setting details. Usually the editors catch them, but 2010s Blockade Billy had two instances of the New Jersey Titans stopping to run trains in the dugout.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

HopperUK posted:

It doesn't though, she goes on to have miserable trauma in her later life and ends up in an abusive relationship. That said - yeah, it's presented as a Good Thing when it happens and I don't think, like you say, he meant it to be horny exactly. It just comes off really bizarre. Was he still on loads of cocaine at that time?

I think there's an explanation about why all the loser's club have great professional success but zero personal success. But if I tried to think of what that was I'd be doing SK's job.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

What complicates the issue is that King has attempted to shoehorn the scene into every book since, barely remembering to swap out character names or setting details. Usually the editors catch them, but 2010s Blockade Billy had two instances of the New Jersey Titans stopping to run trains in the dugout.

I wish I could tell you that he fought the good fight uh...

Young Stevie lost a good friend to a train before he had a way to express it. It's in his autobiography. He has a thing about trains.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean all of this for what if I remember is a scene were they talk about how big a fat kids penis is.

Is that gross and creepy? Yes?

Is it spooky?No?

Big dicks are incredibly spooky. The scariest ghosts have the largest hogs.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think putting art into exclusive categories of “good (not harmful)” and “bad (harmful)” is pretty reductive and we should probably not have such Manichaean views of the world

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Push El Burrito posted:

TIL Slimer is just a gross dick with a face.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So Slimer is the only visible part of a larger, much more terrifying ghost?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ghostbusters is already its own brand of horny as gently caress, which no one else seems to remember.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Did they give you the willies? :ohdear:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

IT is also notable for a scene where one of the heroes realizes how dangerous the bullies are because she watches them suck each other’s dicks, which is probably the only non-evil thing they do in the entire book.

They become especially dangerous at that point because they know she saw them, and figures that the head bully will happily murder her to make sure she tells nobody.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

also the sewer gangbang is like, healing for the 11 year old girl, it fixes her trauma to get a train run on her by her friends.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ghostbusters is already its own brand of horny as gently caress, which no one else seems to remember.

That's what makes it so great. When you're a kid you just see these quippy guys busting Gozer and the Marshmallow man. Then as you grow up, every five years you discover a new layer of humor in the movie that you had no idea about before.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

evobatman posted:

That's what makes it so great. When you're a kid you just see these quippy guys busting Gozer and the Marshmallow man. Then as you grow up, every five years you discover a new layer of humor in the movie that you had no idea about before.
Ghostbusters is also, surprisingly, a movie about a group of bootstrapping entrepreneurs and how The Man tries to keep them down with pesky health&safety and environmental regulations (that are totally bs).

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

That Italian Guy posted:

Ghostbusters is also, surprisingly, a movie about a group of bootstrapping entrepreneurs and how The Man tries to keep them down with pesky health&safety and environmental regulations (that are totally bs).

I dont know if I'd want to see a full movie of it but I've always wanted to see an inversion of the plot where ghosts aren't real and the Ghostbusters are legitimately deliberate dangerous conmen instead of well-meaning dangerous borderline conmen

Wouldn't even need to change venkman's character for it to work

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont know if I'd want to see a full movie of it but I've always wanted to see an inversion of the plot where ghosts aren't real and the Ghostbusters are legitimately deliberate dangerous conmen instead of well-meaning dangerous borderline conmen

Wouldn't even need to change venkman's character for it to work

That's just every episode of Scooby Doo, though

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Asterite34 posted:

That's just every episode of Scooby Doo, though

god drat how did I never put those pieces together

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Was there any odd sex stuff in Running Man? I don't recall but all this Steven King talk is making me want to reread it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Was there any odd sex stuff in Running Man? I don't recall but all this Steven King talk is making me want to reread it.

Ben's wife occasionally works as a prostitute, but then they are destitute so that's hardly unbelievable. He's offered a hooker to keep him company after he gets selected for the show but declines. And he has a moment of anger when the rich woman he kidnaps starts complaining about her petty problems, but that's just a thought and he never acts on it. That's it, really. There's no time for anything else.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Right on.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I wish I could tell you that he fought the good fight uh...

Young Stevie lost a good friend to a train before he had a way to express it. It's in his autobiography. He has a thing about trains.

Is this why the train dodging was such a big deal in Stand By Me(or whatever the short story was called)?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does the evil monorail in The Dark Tower have any perversions?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hear that thing is awfully loud.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also since it’s already going that way you can like an author but still point to specific ideas and saying that was dumb.

It’s okay it’s not a betrayal

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean all of this for what if I remember is a scene were they talk about how big a fat kids penis is.

Is that gross and creepy? Yes?

Is it spooky?No?

But what if it's haunted, or cursed?:eek:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aces High posted:

Is this why the train dodging was such a big deal in Stand By Me(or whatever the short story was called)?

Yes. As King tells the story, he came home from playing with a friend practically catatonic with shock and having no idea of where he had been. It was discovered that the friend had been struck and killed by a train and King almost certainly witnessed it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Not really a perversion but it does love riddles, and gets all pissy when Eddie starts trolling it with Dead Baby jokes because they aren't riddles and he won't shut up.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

Not really a perversion but it does love riddles, and gets all pissy when Eddie starts trolling it with Dead Baby jokes because they aren't riddles and he won't shut up.

Yeah I think it's specifically very tight about any bodily functions even though it's racing for suicide over the death of its gf.

drat dipolar circuitry.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

He offers to give (12 year old) Jake his first 'simulated' sexual experience. So there's that.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

HopperUK posted:

It doesn't though, she goes on to have miserable trauma in her later life and ends up in an abusive relationship. That said - yeah, it's presented as a Good Thing when it happens and I don't think, like you say, he meant it to be horny exactly. It just comes off really bizarre. Was he still on loads of cocaine at that time?

Pretty sure this was one of his last coke books before he had to get clean to be functional. One soon after was written entirely in a blackout

Edit: that was Tommyknockers, although It, Dark Tower 2, and Misery were written right before it and they're all top ten

Randal has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Dec 8, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I believe Cujo is also one he specifically says he has absolutely no memory of writing.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe Cujo is also one he specifically says he has absolutely no memory of writing.

Kudos to him for getting clean but I’m always baffled how he’s alive and healthy. Like writing a novel is not a short process even for a machine like him. That’s an industrial amount of coke to write a whole book and not recall.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Kudos to him for getting clean but I’m always baffled how he’s alive and healthy. Like writing a novel is not a short process even for a machine like him. That’s an industrial amount of coke to write a whole book and not recall.

His inability to remember writing them owes more to his alcoholism than his coke fiendery.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah, he was not a well man. I'm glad he seems to be doing so much better lately. He seems fundamentally like a decent guy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember reading somewhere he barely remembers directing Maximum Overdrive

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

IIRC it wasn't like the final draft just appeared on his desk, he just took what I assume was a borderline unreadable first draft he has no memory writing and cleaned it up.

Scaramouche posted:

I remember reading somewhere he barely remembers directing Maximum Overdrive

I mean, you just need to look at his appearance in the trailer to know this is 100% true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

"A lot of people have directed Stephen King novels and stories and I finally decided if you want something done right you have to do it yourself". I fully understand King taking umbrage with the movie interpretations of his work but it takes some HEAVY coke to essentially imply "Yeah, I can do a better job than those hacks KUBRICK and DE PALMA"

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Dec 8, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What do you mean?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

What do you mean?

Stephen King: inventor of The Expression

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's keeping busy with the writing that keeps him from relapsing. It's kinda like how addicts will really get into working out and get obsessive with it. They need to turn all that energy from their addiction into something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

IIRC it wasn't like the final draft just appeared on his desk, he just took what I assume was a borderline unreadable first draft he has no memory writing and cleaned it up.

I mean, you just need to look at his appearance in the trailer to know this is 100% true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

"A lot of people have directed Stephen King novela and stories and I finally decided if you want something done right you have to do it yourself". I fully understand King taking umbrage with the movie interpretations of his work but it takes some HEAVY coke to essentially imply "Yeah, I can do a better job than those hacks KUBRICK and DE PALMA"

I get why he hates the shining. In the novel jack is a decent man driven to madness by alcoholism and ghosts that want to kill his son, and he ultimately sacrifices himself to save his family.The movie has jack looking crazy from the word go, and he gets no redemption but even so, it's a really good movie -- And he made the decision to remake it while sober, though at least he learned not to direct by that point.