Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't have my newly ordered MBP yet so I guess I can't even fathom what it's like for the scrolling to be so jarring that it makes you want different input devices.

Here I am switching all day between a 2012 MBP (whose two-finger scrolling on web pages and other apps is buttery smooth) and a brand-new Windows laptop where two-finger scrolling feels like a hastily hacked-together afterthought.

Like suppose I want to scroll back in Slack or Zoom chat. I put two fingers on the trackpad and try very slightly to move them downward in the same gesture that on the MBP would smoothly scroll the chat back about one or two lines of text. But instead, maybe because the Dell's trackpad is rough-surfaced for some reason, or maybe because it just doesn't register movements smaller than like a quarter inch, it doesn't even respond at all until I've swiped down a finger's width; and then suddenly the chat scrolls back like an entire screenful and keeps leaping backward in great useless chunks that are absolutely impossible to control by modulating how precisely I move my fingertips. Even if I, like, roll my fingers across the surface so I don't break contact.

I honestly don't understand how people can use this crap, but I equally can't grasp how what seems like a fine distinction between 99.999% and 99.9999% is a dealbreaker for some people whereas others are apparently able to get along fine at 40%.

Maybe I'll get it when it ships in a month

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Trackpads are worse than mice for tasks requiring precise input, no matter how well engineered the trackpad is.

Not that the following is relevant to Macs, but using trackpads in CAD software is extremely slow and painful and craters your productivity

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

silence_kit posted:

Trackpads are worse than mice for tasks requiring precise input, no matter how well engineered the trackpad is.

Not that the following is relevant to Macs, but using trackpads in CAD software is extremely slow and painful and craters your productivity

Autodesk’s been on Mac for like four years, hasn’t it?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rollie Fingers posted:

I found the Magic Trackpad 2 almost unusable on my 144hz monitor. The build quality and haptic feedback are great, but scrolling with it on a high refresh rate monitor is jarring since webpages and scrollable MacOS interface elements will scroll well below 144hz (looked to me about 75hz).

Apple needs to update it to support high refresh rate displays.

The magic trackpad has a higher polling rate when plugged in.

But it’s not that the trackpad needs updating, it’s that apps might not actually support a higher refresh/frame rate.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

Autodesk’s been on Mac for like four years, hasn’t it?

IDK, but I don’t think a lot of people who use the different types of CAD software (mechanical modeling software isn’t the only type of CAD software, but it is a very popular kind) at work run it on Macs.

Macs are more oriented towards (non-gaming) home users and software developers who don’t really need precise cursor input.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 8, 2021

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My Magic Mouse is one of the original 2AA battery versions. It has been through 5 laptops. I have a 3 button mouse with a scroll wheel for gaming but I would not want to give up the gestures and scrolling for general use.

silence_kit posted:

Macs are more oriented towards (non-gamer) home users and software developers who don’t really need precise cursor input.

The entire world of publishing and graphic design runs on macs. You are making an extremely silly generalization about pointing device needs.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 8, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don’t work in publishing or graphic design, but I thought Apple abandoned and stopped supporting a lot of its traditional Mac markets, and that was one of them. Is that not really true?

I still strongly stand behind my statement—trackpads, no matter how well designed, are terrible devices for precise cursor input.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

silence_kit posted:

IDK,but I don’t think a lot of people who use the different types of CAD software (mechanical modeling software isn’t the only type of CAD software, but it is a very popular kind) at work run it on Macs. Macs are more oriented towards home users and software developers.

oh no, don’t get me wrong. it’s only been super recently that any real professional CAD stuff’s been even nominally compatible/available on MacOS. It’s not a big crowd at all.

That said, Apple’s spent the last couple of years making a big to-do about the Mac’s usefulness for CAD work and bringing Autodesk people out during multiple keynotes, promising full usability and compatibility, etc. And Autodesk apps were some of the first to get highlighted during the M1 rollout, IIRC.

All that’s to say that somebody high up at Apple cares, I guess. They care more about Autodesk on Mac than they do about games

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

silence_kit posted:

I don’t work in publishing or graphic design, but I thought Apple abandoned and stopped supporting a lot of its traditional Mac markets, and that was one of them. Is that not really true?

I still strongly stand behind my statement—trackpads, no matter how well designed, are terrible devices for precise cursor input.

It’s not true at all re: publishing and graphic design. Source: I worked for OEMs that supplied the graphic arts industry for 15 years.

Trackpads aren’t as good as mice for precise input but if someone cares that much they’re going to buy a mouse that they like, just like people who care about typing buy the specific keyboard they care about. iMacs still come with Magic Mice by default, trackpads are an add-on charge. If people are using laptops they buy mice or trackballs if they need them. Since the magic mouse is a fashion statement first and input device second, I imagine a lot of people are buying their own mice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Magic Trackpad + literally any mouse or trackball that you really like that isn’t the Magic Mouse = The King’s Desktop

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ok Comboomer posted:

Magic Trackpad + literally any mouse or trackball that you really like that isn’t the Magic Mouse = The King’s Desktop

Deffo something to be said about having a mouse in your right hand and a trackpad in the left hand for certain timeline based apps.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Why are people so down on the magic mouse?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

kefkafloyd posted:

It’s not true at all re: publishing and graphic design. Source: I worked for OEMs that supplied the graphic arts industry for 15 years.

Yeah, and unless Windows 11 fixed the awful color management and made it work the same across all applications, then things aren't changing in that regard anytime soon. You can't do serious work in Windows if you work in a field where people look at things with their eyes. :colbert:

OK, that's an overstatement, but it's really frustrating if you've ever had to wrestle with it!

doingitwrong posted:

I played with one when they first came out and found it extremely awkward to use, I assume that was everyone's experience.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

For me it's the fact I can't charge it and use it at the same time. Such a stupid design.

Personally I use a Magic Trackpad 2 and a MX Anywhere S2 for when I need precision for things like OmniGraffle or Affinity Photo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Proteus Jones posted:

For me it's the fact I can't charge it and use it at the same time. Such a stupid design.

Is that still the design? Now, in the age of inductive charging mats? :confused:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
tbh i usually prefer using an (apple) trackpad over a mouse for stuff like vector work, photoshop, and photo editing, other graphic design stuff. i don't know if that's considered precision work or not, though.

the only time a mouse is faster for me is if i have to do a ton of mousing over to ui elements or something if i don't remember the keyboard command, since you can just move a cursor faster with a mouse.

all said i keep a backwards desktop from most of you with a trackpad on the right and a left-handed mouse (ergo even!!!) on the left

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

I’m a lowly IT worker, and I find the Magic Mouse vastly superior to the Magic Trackpad. I guess that makes two of us. But seriously, my hand cramps big time with the trackpad. It just seems much harder to use when I can’t comfortably use it with both hands like I would with a laptop in front of me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nitsuga posted:

I’m a lowly IT worker, and I find the Magic Mouse vastly superior to the Magic Trackpad. I guess that makes two of us. But seriously, my hand cramps big time with the trackpad. It just seems much harder to use when I can’t comfortably use it with both hands like I would with a laptop in front of me.

this is a valid criticism as i know people who use a trackpad like you do. but it's mostly mystifying to me; i only use one hand for mine (pipe down)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Old Mac serial ports (8din) are RS442 right? I see a lot of cables that are 8din RS232 which advertise "Mac" compatibility but I guess it's good to question whether a) these will work with actual Mac serial hardware, or b) are actually rs422 with balanced pairs etc and sellers just put rs232 in the description because it's a more common search term for serial cables?

I haven't done any critical pin analysis to see whether rs232 in an rs422 pin configuration is safe-but-compatible, safe-but-incompatible, or unsafe-you-just-let-the-magic-smoke-out so I guess that's something I need to find out but ultimately I'll probably just search for a proper rs442 cable.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

nitsuga posted:

I also work in IT and I use a combo of a regular mouse and the Magic Trackpad. Mice are indeed great for precision input but any time there's scrolling to be done (particularly horizontal) I find the trackpad is just the best and I also have a bunch of custom gestures set up on it with BetterTouchTool. I don't mind the Magic Mouse but I've got huge hands and find the scrollable area on the back on the mouse a bit hard to use sometimes.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mac trackpads are great and miles better than any windows pc trackpad, but i still prefer a mouse for anything work where i need to click and drag to select text or move objects around under a pointer. that type of gesture isn't well suited to a trackpad, especially if you need to drag further than the distance of one trackpad swipe. and same for gaming, obviously.

i really love the trackpad multifinger gestures to switch between desktops or trigger the window exposé, though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Trackballs however are amazing and way better than mice for RSI.

I have the wired kingston in the right and a magic trackpad on the left side of my GMMkPro keyboard with bobba u4t tactile switches and white XDA key caps on my office desk. Truly a power combo.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bad Purchase posted:

mac trackpads are great and miles better than any windows pc trackpad, but i still prefer a mouse for anything work where i need to click and drag to select text or move objects around under a pointer. that type of gesture isn't well suited to a trackpad, especially if you need to drag further than the distance of one trackpad swipe. and same for gaming, obviously.

i really love the trackpad multifinger gestures to switch between desktops or trigger the window exposé, though.

I bet the trackpad's perceived advantages depend a lot on whether the user clicks with their thumb or their finger, or whether tap-to-click is enabled.

As per my ongoing and I'm sure fascinating saga, the trackpad on my 2012 has seized up so that the physical button doesn't click at all anymore. So I've turned on tap-to-click. Which works mostly okay (I've more or less gotten used to it); except for click-dragging, which apparently has to be done with a three-finger-drag gesture. Which is loving IMPOSSIBLE to drag long distances or lift-and-resume.

If you're thumb-clicking, it's cake to lift and reposition your index finger while dragging, just as you would with a mouse. With tap-to-click or the three-finger-drag maneuver, it's an exercise in futility and madness.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Martytoof posted:

Old Mac serial ports (8din) are RS442 right? I see a lot of cables that are 8din RS232 which advertise "Mac" compatibility but I guess it's good to question whether a) these will work with actual Mac serial hardware, or b) are actually rs422 with balanced pairs etc and sellers just put rs232 in the description because it's a more common search term for serial cables?

I haven't done any critical pin analysis to see whether rs232 in an rs422 pin configuration is safe-but-compatible, safe-but-incompatible, or unsafe-you-just-let-the-magic-smoke-out so I guess that's something I need to find out but ultimately I'll probably just search for a proper rs442 cable.

At least as implemented in Macs the signal levels were compatible enough that you could use a passive adapter. Mac TXD- to RS-232 TXD, Mac TXD+ unconnected, Mac RXD- to RS-232 RXD, Mac RXD+ to ground. Cables like 8-pin mini-DIN to DB9 or DB25 for connecting a RS-232 modem directly to a Mac were common. They may differ in the details of which handshake signals are connected.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up an Mac Mini M1 on a Black Friday deal only to discover that apparently they have issues displaying on a lot of monitors, including mine. I tried two different monitors and connecting it via a USB-C to HDMI adapter but the same thing happens: the text is blurry and the screen has subtle flickering and lines. I have not been able to find a fix - apparently its a known issue and it's just hit or miss depending on your monitor. Anyone have any advice on this?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I picked up an Mac Mini M1 on a Black Friday deal only to discover that apparently they have issues displaying on a lot of monitors, including mine. I tried two different monitors and connecting it via a USB-C to HDMI adapter but the same thing happens: the text is blurry and the screen has subtle flickering and lines. I have not been able to find a fix - apparently its a known issue and it's just hit or miss depending on your monitor. Anyone have any advice on this?

Does that extend to M1 Airs as well? And is there a list of affected models?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hasturtium posted:

Does that extend to M1 Airs as well? And is there a list of affected models?

Seems to only be the Mac Mini M1's.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I bet the trackpad's perceived advantages depend a lot on whether the user clicks with their thumb or their finger, or whether tap-to-click is enabled.

As per my ongoing and I'm sure fascinating saga, the trackpad on my 2012 has seized up so that the physical button doesn't click at all anymore. So I've turned on tap-to-click. Which works mostly okay (I've more or less gotten used to it); except for click-dragging, which apparently has to be done with a three-finger-drag gesture. Which is loving IMPOSSIBLE to drag long distances or lift-and-resume.

If you're thumb-clicking, it's cake to lift and reposition your index finger while dragging, just as you would with a mouse. With tap-to-click or the three-finger-drag maneuver, it's an exercise in futility and madness.

Turn on drag lock under accessibility options https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/unac899/mac

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm. I know I tried that when I was first flailing for a solution, but I didn't like it for some reason. Now that I've gotten more used to tapping it seems a lot more amenable. Thanks

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/03/apple_m1_drivers/

https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDummy

I haven't tried this at all so no idea if it'll fix your problem or not.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tokit posted:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/03/apple_m1_drivers/

https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDummy

I haven't tried this at all so no idea if it'll fix your problem or not.

Unfortunately didn't fix it. This seems to be a solution for forcing resolutions it isn't giving to you, but not for lines and flickering. Thanks though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Magic Mouse basically has a Magic Trackpad on the back. You can configure it with system pref plugins to do many many things. But I still just use it for spaces and exposé.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

There's a timeout delay to the three finger drag, so you can quickly lift and resume dragging with three fingers. Tap or just using one or two fingers at all kills the drag action.

Data Graham posted:

Hmm. I know I tried that when I was first flailing for a solution, but I didn't like it for some reason. Now that I've gotten more used to tapping it seems a lot more amenable. Thanks
The issue I've always had with it is that it introduces a delay to single taps (if you use that for clicking), and with the way I use my trackpad (with whatever compulsive tap/movements) I end up dragging a lot unintentionally.

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Magic Mouse basically has a Magic Trackpad on the back. You can configure it with system pref plugins to do many many things. But I still just use it for spaces and exposé.
Yeah it can register five different points iirc, obviously cramped for all that but way back when I still used one I configured a bunch of three finger gestures with it at least (in BetterTouchTool) to go along with the normal single and two finger stuff.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Unfortunately didn't fix it. This seems to be a solution for forcing resolutions it isn't giving to you, but not for lines and flickering. Thanks though.

I had the same problem that you’re having. It was an all-the-time thing on one of the monitors and an intermittent issue on the other. I could never find any reliable way to get rid of it.

I already hated my monitors (they had really bad image retention issues) so I replaced them. Obviously not an ideal solution, but I’ve never had an issue with my new Asus ProArt displays. I did lose the high refresh rate I had on the other monitors, but I don’t really game as much as I used to, so giving they up wasn’t that big a deal for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

japtor posted:

There's a timeout delay to the three finger drag, so you can quickly lift and resume dragging with three fingers. Tap or just using one or two fingers at all kills the drag action.

The issue I've always had with it is that it introduces a delay to single taps (if you use that for clicking), and with the way I use my trackpad (with whatever compulsive tap/movements) I end up dragging a lot unintentionally.

Yeah, I had to go back to three-finger drag after all. An evening of coding with heavy copy-pasting with drag-lock drove me straight back to bugfuck land.

I'll try the superfastliftandresumedragging move next.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/apF6bft5kFA

told y’all he was chud

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
who is this idiot and why should I be caring about his existance?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

who is this idiot and why should I be caring about his existance?

he’s the face of Right-to-Repair, and he’s been recently platformed/interviewed by people as diverse as Linus Sebastian and Sam Seder

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

he’s the face of Right-to-Repair, and he’s been recently platformed/interviewed by people as diverse as Linus Sebastian and Sam Seder

I've never heard of him or his business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But thanks to YouTube's algorithm you will.