Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

"I remembered how my friends help me and lift me up, in a dream in which we saw nothing like that really"

Like it was just him in the water and then some shapes, right? Ink Witch and Corpsewoman and Orc Dude never showed up or anything.

“Tell, don’t show” is probably the biggest feature of Mookie’s comic making

Seriously, this is not even close to the first time that Mookie has, post-comic, made a follow-up which adds in writing or text all sorts of different detail and action to what was happening in the previous strip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It's amazing, the dream has Snout held down by vines in the water, it would have been so easy to have his friends pull him out.
Instead he, lucid dreams?, the vines away and makes it too the surface himself and then dreams a bunch of symbols.

So Mookie hastily draws a scene of Snout going "Wow, that dream totally made me remember my friends and how much they help me!"

Just amazing.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 8, 2021

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Pulsarcat posted:

It's amazing, the dream has Snout held down by vines in the water, it would have been so easy to have his friends pull him out.
Instead he, lucid dreams?, the vines away and makes it too the surface himself and then dreams a bunch of symbols.

So Mookie hastily draws a scene of Snout going "Wow, that dream totally made me remember my friends and how much they help me!"

Just amazing.

What could've also been cool was it being ambiguous if they were helping to pull him out or hold him under, so it would've been left up to him to decide which the vision meant and him choosing to trust his life to his friends would've been a tad more meaningful.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Come the gently caress on, who are you lying to?

So... In the first dream, the vines that represent your friends pulled you under. In the second dream, they aided you.

That's not reinterpreting the dream, or "remembering" something. You literally just had a different, contradictory dream.

And it's plainly obvious your friends aid you! That's all they EVER do! All of us in the thread were screaming that at him when it first came up. But he needed a lucid dream to confirm that to himself? Ugh....

Also lol at Mookie's waffling on weather the bog hag's magic sex caused the lucid dreaming or not. You were more "relaxed" because you hosed? Sure, Ok buddy.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

What could've also been cool was it being ambiguous if they were helping to pull him out or hold him under, so it would've been left up to him to decide which the vision meant and him choosing to trust his life to his friends would've been a tad more meaningful.

That actually would have been much better.

It ties into the idea that dreams are meant to be interpreted rather than provide answers.
Him choosing to trust his friends even when presented with an ambiguous situation would establish his character far more than the constant recaps and exposition of him writing in his dairy.
And it's even consistent with his earlier decisions, such as trusting IW despite her being sketchy and even manipulative.

It's literally everything this current storyline isn't.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also lol at Mookie's waffling on weather the bog hag's magic sex caused the lucid dreaming or not. You were more "relaxed" because you hosed? Sure, Ok buddy.

Wait hold on, if I remember right Snout had some powerful dreams while sleeping with IW, and it was assumed it was because he was sleeping near her.
So it might have been because of the cuddling itself? Like the more powerful the sex he has the more powerful his dream magic?

Because if so the implications for future storylines are staggering.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 8, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Snout is the end of the horizon in that last panel and it's painfully obvious that he was supposed to have some more text to his left, I think, but the author didn't have enough to fill it.

agh it's the same in the first panel!

The pages this week have been lazy even by Mookie’s standards. I assume he didn’t have enough background to copy paste to fill the panel and just decided he wouldn’t finish those panels. Dude isn’t even adding a paper border to Snout’s monologues anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pyrotoad posted:

He also seems to think that scene is consensual despite it starting with her flashing Snout.
I mean, "Hey you want some gently caress?" "Yes I do" seems consensual to me. Just gotta ignore the the existing characterization of Snout, which Mookie is trying to rewrite anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pulsarcat posted:

Wait hold on, if I remember right Snout had some powerful dreams while sleeping with IW, and it was assumed it was because he was sleeping near her.
So it might have been because of the cuddling itself? Like the more powerful the sex he has the more powerful his dream magic?

Because if so the implications for future storylines are staggering.

Oh my god. You might be right and that would be loving incredible and uncomfortable.

Zereth posted:

I mean, "Hey you want some gently caress?" "Yes I do" seems consensual to me. Just gotta ignore the the existing characterization of Snout, which Mookie is trying to rewrite anyway.

While she was naked even during their first meeting, the sex encounter started with her spreading her legs to him in a very sexual manner before knowing if he was down to gently caress. If you send a random dick picture to a woman you just met an hour ago it isn't suddenly okay if she turns out to be into it.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

While she was naked even during their first meeting, the sex encounter started with her spreading her legs to him in a very sexual manner before knowing if he was down to gently caress. If you send a random dick picture to a woman you just met an hour ago it isn't suddenly okay if she turns out to be into it.

She was also implied to be fingering herself in public (note the motion lines on her arm when Snout sees her from the back), which is, uuuuuuhhhhhhhh…

Like, I will fully admit that I’m personally not down with casual nudity, but if its supposed to be some kind of norm in this post-Deegan society, that’s fine, whatever. Jerking it in public crosses a line, even if you’re okay with casual nudity, I would hope.

Edit: I mean, the town was in the omnipresent white void, so Mookie forgot it was there, but she’s seriously like a hundred feet from Fishing Town Main Street.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 9, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

GreenMetalSun posted:

Edit: I mean, the town was in the omnipresent white void, so Mookie forgot it was there, but she’s seriously like a hundred feet from Fishing Town Main Street.

The Chandrak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qidy5xtvSpo

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

everyone has to jack it somewhere, and this woman lives in a swamp for gods sake. theres no options here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it can't be overstated how gross the bog hag is and how weird and gross it is that Snout was seduced immediately by her.

Imagine the genders were flipped. Our protagonist is a naive girl, and happens upon an unwashed naked dude jacking it on a rock in the middle of a lake. He beckons to her seductively. And it... Works?

Ugh. Just ugh. It's loving gross. Snout must have a billion STIs now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it can't be overstated how gross the bog hag is and how weird and gross it is that Snout was seduced immediately by her.

Imagine the genders were flipped. Our protagonist is a naive girl, and happens upon an unwashed naked dude jacking it on a rock in the middle of a lake. He beckons to her seductively. And it... Works?

I suddenly imagined Frank from always sunny as the Bog Warlock

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Are we just going to get a nonsensical retcon every week now?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe those antlers are his body's way of ejecting pathogens. They're solid virus and bacteria, probably should use hand sanitizer after touching them.

Also just remembered, when is Snot going to tell Ink Witch that he named her Ink Witch? It would have made some sense to bring that up during the "my friends are sad and I want to help" bit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ScienceSeagull posted:

Are we just going to get a nonsensical retcon every week now?

Maybe those antlers are his body's way of ejecting pathogens. They're solid virus and bacteria, probably should use hand sanitizer after touching them.

Also just remembered, when is Snot going to tell Ink Witch that he named her Ink Witch? It would have made some sense to bring that up during the "my friends are sad and I want to help" bit.

Mookie knows he's settled on that name so the Ink Witch knows.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
This description just make me more annoyed. He just permenantly thinks of sex and intimacy as a highschool freshman nerd

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1468627562066817032?t=y3tzCNOgddGZcQZQ1DvVPg&s=19

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

His "spicy night"? Ugh, gently caress no Mookie.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Mookie is the culmination of the world's collective feelings of cringe made manifest

he is the chaos god of cringe

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Spicy night"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GreenMetalSun posted:

The town's just JPRG NPCs. Only one of them has a face and none of them get any lines.

There are only two things from the town that appear in multiple panels: a carrot-looking thing and a bundle of fishing rods. In both cases they show up in more than one panel only because Snout picks up and carries them (apparently you can just pick up random objects in the fishing town, just like in a JRPG).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SubG posted:

The town's just JPRG NPCs. Only one of them has a face and none of them get any lines.

There are only two things from the town that appear in multiple panels: a carrot-looking thing and a bundle of fishing rods. In both cases they show up in more than one panel only because Snout picks up and carries them (apparently you can just pick up random objects in the fishing town, just like in a JRPG).

In a normal comic someone buying things would be taken as read, but we have no reason to believe he has local money, knows how to buy and sell in the marketplace, or even has somewhere to carry money.

What I'm saying is that it's the context that makes these things weird and alienating, as well as the poorly conveyed drawings.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well you see, when Ink Witch did a job for a day, they acquired the inventory item [MONEY]. Now that they have [MONEY], anything that costs [MONEY] is no longer a concern ever again in the story. Just like Snout acquired [ORC LANGUAGE] by reading some books for a few minutes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Joe Slowboat posted:

In a normal comic someone buying things would be taken as read, but we have no reason to believe he has local money, knows how to buy and sell in the marketplace, or even has somewhere to carry money.

What I'm saying is that it's the context that makes these things weird and alienating, as well as the poorly conveyed drawings.
Yeah, in the normal course of things I absolutely don't care about poo poo like this and you'd have to be a massive pendant to obsess over it. But it's literally the major conflict of an entire plot arc in an earlier chapter. I know virtually nothing about the fictional world Snout inhabits after spending two and a half years in it, but one of the few things Mookie has gone out of his way to establish is that money is important and the characters can't get things they want without it. And also that Snout specifically has none (and apparently no way to earn some himself).

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Spicy night"

Wait, it happened at night? I thought it was broad daylight?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rotten Red Rod posted:

His "spicy night"? Ugh, gently caress no Mookie.

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Spicy night"

I've seen people using "spicy" for NSFW stuff on twitter before, doesn't seem that bad to me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heliotrope posted:

I've seen people using "spicy" for NSFW stuff on twitter before, doesn't seem that bad to me.

"Spicy night" implies a fun, sexy romp. Not the ill advised, gross hookup Snout just had.

Like "playtime", Mookie's choice of cutesy descriptive words for sex don't match the bizarre poo poo he depicts.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

SubG posted:

Yeah, in the normal course of things I absolutely don't care about poo poo like this and you'd have to be a massive pendant to obsess over it. But it's literally the major conflict of an entire plot arc in an earlier chapter. I know virtually nothing about the fictional world Snout inhabits after spending two and a half years in it, but one of the few things Mookie has gone out of his way to establish is that money is important and the characters can't get things they want without it. And also that Snout specifically has none (and apparently no way to earn some himself).

Right, that's the thing. The lack of money was the focus of a previous arc, wherein they solved the problem, so it's no longer going to be a problem for the rest of the comic.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think the language thing is an even bigger issue. Did you notice that the signs aren't even in orcish anymore?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I dunno, to me a spicy night sounds more like a night glued to the toilet seat after you challenged a chilli that was way above your guts' pay grade.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Spicy night" implies a fun, sexy romp. Not the ill advised, gross hookup Snout just had.

Like "playtime", Mookie's choice of cutesy descriptive words for sex don't match the bizarre poo poo he depicts.

This is genuinely one of the most discomfiting elements of his whole deal. It's less the raw content - I'm sure there's people who are really into weird bog witch sex - than the weird disconnect between the content and his descriptions of it, like he's barely aware of what he's actually describing. That he drew and wrote.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There's also the fact that everything is stark black and white monochrome forever so it's hard to ever tell what the gently caress time of day it is.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hostile V posted:

There's also the fact that everything is stark black and white monochrome forever so it's hard to ever tell what the gently caress time of day it is.

I remember waaaay back when it was new Dr McNinja also had this problem, so the artist started... actually improving their skills and colouring their work!!!!!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also McNinja would generally indicate what time of day it was in text, if necessary.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He also didn't have a night. He nutted in the lady at what we were given no reason to believe was not still day, and then immediately fell asleep. This took only a few panels. Whatever Mookie meant to convey, what he DID convey was an extremely brief encounter that ended with Snout falling asleep. He didn't have a spicy night, which implies more than one thing happening, he had an incredibly brief afternoon gently caress.

Hostile V posted:

:hmmyes: Didn't do anything to the sky, though.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Didn't you people learn anything from the extended travel sequences? There was a panel where Snout was asleep. A dream happened. That means it was night.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Heliotrope posted:

It's like something Niles would say to Frasier regarding the night he and Maris pushed the beds together

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's like something Niles would say to Frasier regarding the night he and Maris pushed the beds together

:hmmyes:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
A most delectable spicy night with one's very special lady friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

To be fair the bog lady did ask for Snout to visit her in the evening so falling asleep afterwards is just spending the night at her place. But it's understandable if people forgot that. The time of day is so poorly conveyed.