Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Pick up video game, push buttons, put video game back on shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

First of May posted:

Pick up video game, push buttons, put video game back on shelf.

s..shelf?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Some of the food in Animal Crossing looks so drat good, but what the gently caress is this seabass pie? Looking forward to finally grabbing the Happy Home DLC later this month.

Devorum posted:

To give a counterpoint, I found House of Leaves to be boring and really up its own rear end. At no point was I ever scared or creeped out, just annoyed at having to flip the book upside down to read yet another passage telling me how creepy this house is supposed be.

It's basic creepypasta, just pre-internet.

I'm definitely in the minority, though.

Do you have any horror novels in particular (maybe with similar themes) that you found to be more scary?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Cool!

Okay, I've built a random list of games that I'm going to start looking for. How would you order these from must buy to cool but don't trip?

1. Metroid Dread
  2. Luigi's mansion 3
  3. MK8D
  4. SMW3D
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Rune factory 4s (my chill game choice thus far)
  7. Hades
  8. SMTV
  9. Odyssey

SM3DW
Odyssey
Metroid Dread
Hades
SMTV
Luigi’s Mansion 3
MK8D

I’ve never liked Rune Factory personally, so that’s up to you, but I wouldn’t recommend anyone get Splatoon 2 right now. It’s fun when everyone is playing it and it’s current, but it’s getting a sequel in the next year. By time you finish all the games above, 3 will probably be out.

Also, SMTV is also super good, it just didn’t win head to head with the others. It could easily swap places with Hades though. Luigi’s Mansion 3 is cool. A game of its own kind, but felt very seasonal to me. Might be a better experience to play around Halloween or when the nuclear apocalypse pops off.

SM3DW is a Wii U game that got ported but it’s so good that if someone said I could only play one Switch game for the rest of my life, it’d be my pick.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
circle of the moon chat: will i pay dearly for my impatience if i ignore grinding items and dss cards and just plough through the game? i just beat the golem and got the wall jump and so far it's been rough but manageable. it just has the feel of a game that's gonna smack me in the face for not having the right stuff later in the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd recommend picking up the Uranus card to make one specific boss a lot easier, but otherwise no, the game doesn't expect you to have specific cards to beat bosses or progress or anything.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
uranus card? why don't you shove that one back up your rear end. don't try to trick me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
but also thanks a bunch, i'll keep an eye out for it. i picked up double luck rings from the zombie thieves so hopefully i'll get more drops now.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Google Butt posted:

Cool!

Okay, I've built a random list of games that I'm going to start looking for. How would you order these from must buy to cool but don't trip?

1. Metroid Dread
  2. Luigi's mansion 3
  3. MK8D
  4. SMW3D
  5. Splatoon 2
  7. Hades
  8. SMTV
  9. Odyssey

Not knowing your library OR preferences...

[1] Metroid Dread - best metroid game ever, second-best 2D action game out there
[2] Hades - actual best 2D action game out there, surprisingly wholesome
[3] Splatoon 2 - I guess #3 is coming out soonish, but the Splatoon series is such a refreshing twist on shooters
[4] Odyssey - my personal favorite Mario platformer

id[c/k] about the other ones!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Foul Fowl posted:

circle of the moon chat: will i pay dearly for my impatience if i ignore grinding items and dss cards and just plough through the game? i just beat the golem and got the wall jump and so far it's been rough but manageable. it just has the feel of a game that's gonna smack me in the face for not having the right stuff later in the game.

Try activating DSS then hitting pause and going into the menu during the animation. In the original cartridge there was a bug that allowed you to select blank DSS cards in your inventory and use any combo in the game.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Google Butt posted:

Cool!

1. Metroid Dread
  2. Luigi's mansion 3
  3. MK8D
  4. SMW3D
  5. Splatoon 2
  7. Hades
  8. SMTV
  9. Odyssey

¿Por qué no Breath of the Wild?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If you own a Switch and haven't bought Hades yet, you're behaving poorly and should deal with that forthwith

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if the new OLED Switch dock fixed the issue of the dock scratching the screen?

I remember with the original docks to test if it would scratch your screen you would put a penny on the top of it and if it stayed up, it meant it would scratch your screen. I just tried it with the new OLED one and the penny stays which is bad, but I am not sure if that matters because maybe they changed other stuff to prevent it.

Anyway did they fix whatever the issue was in the OLED dock? Also, is it impossible to scratch the OLED screen due to it being glass?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I remember with the original docks to test if it would scratch your screen you would put a penny on the top of it and if it stayed up, it meant it would scratch your screen. I just tried it with the new OLED one and the penny stays which is bad, but I am not sure if that matters because maybe they changed other stuff to prevent it.

This sounds like some stupid bullshit OP, maybe use your eyes to see if the screen contacts the dock when you drop it in and if so then worry about getting a screen protector

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

This sounds like some stupid bullshit OP

It does but it's true. My original Switch which I handled with kids gloves got two lines of scratches exactly where the dock's inner plastic bumpers were. It happened to a lot of people.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't remember hearing people having issues with the original docks scratching screens. It did scratch the hell out of the back though.

Just got a tempered glass screen protector.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are there any other games like Rune Factory? I think I'd enjoy it, but I'd rather not buy a ported 3DS game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't remember hearing people having issues with the original docks scratching screens. It did scratch the hell out of the back though.

Just got a tempered glass screen protector.

Yeah I remembered tons and tons of crazy fixes like this that people were doing:

There was/is an entire market for custom Switch Dock padding protectors.

It has something to do with a large percentage of docks pointing "inwards" towards the top. Some had the issue, some didn't. You could tell just from looking at it. Loosening or tightening screws didn't help it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It does but it's true. My original Switch which I handled with kids gloves got two lines of scratches exactly where the dock's inner plastic bumpers were. It happened to a lot of people.

No I know about the scratching issue but a penny is not a scientific measuring tool

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mdemone posted:

If you own a Switch and haven't bought Hades yet, you're behaving poorly and should deal with that forthwith

Christmas! I'm waiting until then to get that and Dusk.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if your switch sinks, it's good. if it starts floating though you should probably throw it out

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

No I know about the scratching issue but a penny is not a scientific measuring tool

Oh yeah it sounds weird but it's a real thing:

If the penny got stuck at the top, it meant the dock was going to touch the screen when you dropped it in. If the penny fell to the bottom, that meant it would not touch the screen, which is obviously good.

I have 5 OG docks and I tried it on all of them and only 1 was good (the Super Smash Bros one).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are there any other games like Rune Factory? I think I'd enjoy it, but I'd rather not buy a ported 3DS game.
:eyepop:
maybe you have heard of a little game called Stardew Valley

Edit: also My Time at Portia

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
maybe you have heard of a little game called Stardew Valley

Edit: also My Time at Portia

OK yeah I've played Stardew. Rune Factory looked more JRPG with some farming rather than the opposite, but maybe I'm wrong.

e: I"ve been looking for a game with lots of systems, like Disgaea.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 8, 2021

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sakuna: of rice and ruin is probably the best farm&fight game, if that's what you're looking for.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not all that far but garden story gives me some rune factory vibes, just with cute fruit people instead of anime

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK yeah I've played Stardew. Rune Factory looked more JRPG with some farming rather than the opposite, but maybe I'm wrong.

e: I"ve been looking for a game with lots of systems, like Disgaea.

Yeah Rune Factory is kind of hard to pin down into a genre. It has the story of a JRPG, the combat of a diablo clone, farming&crafting from harvest moon and NPCs from a waifu dating sim.

If your into systems I suggest Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 :getin:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I don't think there's anything else on switch with the same magnitude of mechanics as Rune Factory, at least not in the farming-adjacent area. After Stardew there's plenty of smaller indie games with their own twists on the formula but they're all going to be more limited than Rune Factory is. If you really can't accept a 3ds port you might need to just wait until Rune Factory 5 comes out next year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rutibex posted:

If your into systems I suggest Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 :getin:

I do have 3, but I haven't played more than 15 minutes. I should give it another shot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rune Factory, at least in my experience, does have tons of systems but a lot of them are very optional.

You can get nasty with stuff like soil pH levels if you want an insane level of optimization or just plant your veggies and delight to see most of them grow and become strong.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Make sure you dance thrice widdershins around a live oak during the new moon and then flick the penny over your left shoulder before doing the test.

That is to say, the "penny test" is nonsense. Both my docks "fail" it, and I've had no issues with scratches or anything else despite my launch Switch going in and out of it regularly for years.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i don't even know her shins.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Canada discontinued the penny before the Switch came out, how do I check??? :ohdear:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any Switch OLED screen protectors that are just that super thin cheap screen protector material? I don't really like the "tempered" glass ones because I feel like they always give off a weird reflection. I am just trying to prevent light screen scratches; not major drops or cracks or anything.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've never seen a skeleton athlete in my life until i played circle of the moon and now i can't believe they're not in more games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Are there any Switch OLED screen protectors that are just that super thin cheap screen protector material? I don't really like the "tempered" glass ones because I feel like they always give off a weird reflection. I am just trying to prevent light screen scratches; not major drops or cracks or anything.

Hori sells Officially Licensed™ plastic ones and if you add the word plastic to the search terms, Amazon will show a bunch of random name generated companies selling them too.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I had some dock issues with my original switch that I don't have with my OLED dock but that is because I placed my original switch dock at the bottom of a specially designed plinko board for nintendo switches and would dock it by dropping my switch in from the top until I got lucky and it hit the correct slot

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Hori sells Officially Licensed™ plastic ones and if you add the word plastic to the search terms, Amazon will show a bunch of random name generated companies selling them too.

Oh awesome, thank you! I tried amazon and even searched by cheapest to most expensive and still couldn't find any. Also Amazon does not let you "remove" something from the search; I tried "-glass" like I do on ebay but it does not omit those for some reason (amazon sucks). I will definitely buy the Hori ones. Their 3DS screen protectors are amazing. You can't even tell they are on.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I just use that jumpgate dock. Nothing for the switch to rub against at all. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

try adding PET (polyethylene... tetrafluoride? I forget) to amazon's search. a number of them include it, but yeah, Hori is at least bonafide.