Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Amazon

Get Fuzzy 12/7/01

Brenda Starr 9/29 - 10/1/47

Just in case you thought the plot needed even more twists.

Smokey Stover 12/3/44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 25, 2000)

neverending series of kinks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

neverending series of kinks

You'll ruin the couch, Janis!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

"Basketball Goal" ??????????

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Kell's decision (November 25, 2004)

Hmm

In the Tinkersons strip it's treated as the teacher messing with a gullible kid, but I'm pretty sure some parents install tracking apps on their kids' phones. If implants were an option, some people would use them, and frankly the kid's right to be concerned.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think that might be a ~technically correct~ term, but of course everyone calls it a hoop. This strip is the first Arlo & Janis to make me actually mad, because it reminded me of Ted Cruz calling the hoop a "basketball ring," and I don't like to be reminded of Ted Cruz in any capacity.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 29, 1948)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man we talk about faces a lot in Valiant, but this time I love the mismatched drinking vessels in the penultimate panel. Two cheap wooden mugs, a cup and a fancy swan bowl all come together to tell you these guys get their dishes from looting, they're uncultured enough that the fancy swan bowl they loot gets used as a profane booze cup, and they're not even good enough at looting to get everyone a fancy swan bowl.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man we talk about faces a lot in Valiant, but this time I love the mismatched drinking vessels in the penultimate panel. Two cheap wooden mugs, a cup and a fancy swan bowl all come together to tell you these guys get their dishes from looting, they're uncultured enough that the fancy swan bowl they loot gets used as a profane booze cup, and they're not even good enough at looting to get everyone a fancy swan bowl.

That's very true. I feel a need to go back and reread more Prince Val because of all the drat details in it.

These guys clearly are envious of Val's hair.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's very true. I feel a need to go back and reread more Prince Val because of all the drat details in it.

If you want to spend ages poring over comic art crammed full of beautiful, carefully thought-out details, all in service of a good story, may I also refer you to Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge / Donald Duck comics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is so drat good

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Doomykins posted:

"427 - Jucika's Easter"

Is this related to Dyngus Day, or is the dude just an rear end.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter January 21, 1950

Well that’s an oddly relevant topic for today’s politics.

Formosa was the English name for Taiwan at the time. In 1950 the ROC had retreated to the island and the newly formed PRC had claimed the mainland so hooray, commies to fight against!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Alterian posted:

Is this related to Dyngus Day, or is the dude just an rear end.

Yes to both.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

As a descendent of the large Polish diaspora to western NY, I love teaching people about dyngus day. They think I'm lying until I show them proof.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alterian posted:

They think I'm lying until I show them proof.

Did you throw water on them and spank them with pussy willow?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 3 - Daddy

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

From Joeystarr to MC Solaar. This is a real naming convention. Speaking of naming conventions, Brian Nankervis was an Australian comedian who appeared on British television in my youth. I also recall him briefly depicting a sort of “Ghostbuster” on Neighbours. So seldom do I talk about Neighbours here but I could do so for hours. Nankervis is a very Cornish name.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Hoop+backboard=goal

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

These gags with Tillman and the teacher is the best.

kidcoelacanth posted:

When you make a basket in basketball, it is called a "field goal." I learned this when I was a kid and our coach kept track of those stats for us and gave them to us at the end of the season. I made one. I was not good at basketball.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it reflects their personalities as well, based on the previous strip. The slave driver has a swan bowl to show how much better he is than other people, the strong guy has a manly simple mug, and the dandy has a goblet.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

I think my dog desires the same fate.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: McClure learns the hard way that even in the depths of Arizona, one is not outside the jurisdiction of the fashion police, or Alfred Noble throws his hands up in despair, or The two ain't out of danger just yet!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 3 - Daddy

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Regarding this strip, I love that the correct solution to "an eldritch abomination has laid eggs under the pier" is "let's encourage her to leave and relocate her and the egg somewhere safer for both them and humans" :3:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wilbur is a dyngus.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"A second chance" says the fuckin' oaf who had to do the holding-up-a-radio outside Estelle's window thing because he caused a massive scene during their double date with his ex, so he'd get his first second chance.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Darthemed posted:

Docks

Retail

Fairly sure this is illegal and against company policy dealing with payroll fraud.

Get em Marla!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someones been doing crimes on the 9cl facebook group.

‘ So I have been pretending to be really hot for thorax’s feet in the unironic 9cl group to see if Brooke is listening and todays comic is two panels of just his bare feet’

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I don't think you're allowed to do that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This is just good advice and a courtesy to the gift recipient so they dont have to do a return without it.

Also I don't remove price tags or sale/discount stickers off gifts unless its ruining the way I want to present or display the gift in some way. But then that's what boxes and wrapping are for so lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Holy poo poo this is weirdly relevant to recent events. I knew I'd heard the name Larry Elder before, and I finally realized it a little bit ago: he was Gavin Newsom's opponent in the failed California governor recall earlier this year.

He's a fervent Trump supporter who says he thinks that Trump was sent by God, opposes minimum wage laws (he straight up said "The ideal minimum wage is zero"), said that domestic violence claims are exaggerated by feminists, thinks secondhand smoke is a hoax, and has said that welfare is more harmful to black families than slavery.

So yeah, I'd say he qualifies as awfully far to the right.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MariusLecter posted:

This is just good advice and a courtesy to the gift recipient so they dont have to do a return without it.

Also I don't remove price tags or sale/discount stickers off gifts unless its ruining the way I want to present or display the gift in some way. But then that's what boxes and wrapping are for so lol.

Especially when it comes to Ed, since I doubt he has enough consideration for other people to buy them a thoughtful gift. He'd be the kind of person who'd buy something he wanted.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Especially when it comes to Ed, since I doubt he has enough consideration for other people to buy them a thoughtful gift. He'd be the kind of person who'd buy something he wanted.

I can also see him buying something she’d genuinely enjoy, but he’d be an rear end about it. Pretty sure she’s taken him to theatre and stuff and while she’s trying to have a good time he sits there huffing and puffing that HE IS BORED

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BigglesSWE posted:

I can also see him buying something she’d genuinely enjoy, but he’d be an rear end about it. Pretty sure she’s taken him to theatre and stuff and while she’s trying to have a good time he sits there huffing and puffing that HE IS BORED

As a way of showing how awful his character is, it works; the problem is the strip tacitly sides with him as the put-upon Boomer and wimmin, amirite?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "428 - Jucika Is Ungrateful"

"429 - Jucika And The Inventory"

"leltár = Inventory, üveg = bottle"

Get wrekt chump.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! December 25, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True January 15, 1919

Gay and Her Gang January 18, 1930

Oaky Doaks June 19, 1936

Mopsy August 27, 1937

Up Front September 30, 1944

Dark Laughter January 28, 1950

Something new!

“Strippers Guide” posted:

So It Seems was initially credited to Lou Cameron when its run started on March 3, 1952, but was signed by Sy Grudko starting on September 15 of that year. The feature lasted until at least February 1953, but not much longer

So It Seems March 3, 1952

Those Were the Days August 22, 1957

Wee Pals March 11, 1966

Dogbert September 22, 1966

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Slammy posted:

So It Seems March 3, 1952

It's the 'what I think I do/what my boss thinks I do' meme 70 years early!