Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Cena also had the ability to admit when he made poor choices or did things that harmed others or the onscreen product. Like coming right out and saying he hosed up in that Nexus match. Triple H, on the other hand, continues to defend every single thing he's ever done in his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone Triple H worked with got the rub just from being in the ring with him! Has anyone ever given more to the business?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

JJ killed Monty Brown too but the bigger thing is his run killed TNA in the crib from ever being a viable opposition which Trips and Cena didn't do. The thing about reigns of terror is they have to be not the top person in the company but positioned as such and actively harmful.

Thinking about it Cena's worst act was after cenawinslol when he was used to sabotage CM Punk's title reign because at that point he didn't need to be the main event. Well that and killing The Nexus but in one of those weird domino effects that lead to Bryan Danielson in the mainstream.

Edit: importantly Cena ended the JBL Reign of Terror which gets kind of forgotten about.

jeff jarrett's "reign of terror" didn't kill TNA's viability as opposition, everything about TNA killed its viability as opposition.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Alaois posted:

jeff jarrett's "reign of terror" didn't kill TNA's viability as opposition, everything about TNA killed its viability as opposition.

Only thing I can point to as opposite proof is that run in the mid to late Noughties and even then I found that charming rather than competitive in the same way I found early developmental NXT.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who had the last mullet in wrestling and what year was it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who had the last mullet in wrestling and what year was it?

brian pillman jr, this year

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, before that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Tenzan still has a mullet AFAIK.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

HHH reign of terror was worse IMO. I don't have like any objective list of reasons, it just did a lot more to kill my enthusiasm for wrestling. Also HHH seems like more of a dickhead than Cena outside of the ring.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

With IWTV, I suppose the indy promotions get some cut of the money for producing the content? Does anyone have any idea how that split works?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought Pillman Jr still has his mullet, the picture where he claimed to have cut it off was later revealed as a cleverly oriented ruse

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I thought Pillman Jr still has his mullet, the picture where he claimed to have cut it off was later revealed as a cleverly oriented ruse

he does and it was

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Cena had killer PPV matches but he sucked as the main character on screen every week from 2005 to 2016 or whenever it was he left.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Who had a better run between Cena and HHH when they weren’t on top? IC Trips or U.S. John?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
John briefly made people care about the US belt

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The open challenge series was great until they had a returning Alberto win the US Title and whelp

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Cena had more of a run with US period even not considering the Open Challenge run.

All of Hunter's IC runs were forgettable - his really early one for a few months in 96-97 doesn't have any moments really tied to it. His 98 run wasn't a run - the Rock Ladder match was super memorable as was the title chase in general, but he immediately went on the shelf basically after winning it and it was vacated.

The 2001 runs were basically just going 'Two Man Power Trip is Awesome' which wasn't terrible since two guys with four belts was a look. He also technically held it for a day in 2002 when he unified it with the WHC, for a strange period where WWE was trying to do one men's single title per show.

Cena's 04-05 US title run is just by default better because he had it for months, had feuds over it, and it was mostly just his until it was time to promote him to the WWE title. Him dropping to Orlando Jordan was a definite dark age for the title though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

His US title win at WrestleMania XX also felt like they were signposting him as a top title contender, which is what one of the functions of a mid-card belt should be. And sure enough, he won the big one 12 months later.

His Open Challenge John also elevated the belt somewhat, and he had some pretty fun matches on TV for it. You could criticise how that all turned out when he dropped it to Del Rio, but in all fairness, he did his part to make the belt mean something, and the League of Nations floundering as hard as they did has everything to do with Creative and Vince being an utter omnishambles as bookers, and nothing to do with BIG MATCH JOHN. Honestly, it takes a special skill to gently caress up a stable made up of Sheamus, Rusev and Wade Barrett. Also Del Rio, but gently caress that piece of poo poo. I'm delighted he was squandered at the WWE, the loving prick.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Who had a better run between Cena and HHH when they weren’t on top? IC Trips or U.S. John?

US Title Open Challenge Cena was the perfect use for him at that time. Wasn’t that also when Mark Henry faked the retirement as well?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That match was for the WWE title. I think it was just before Brock battered Bryan Danielson beat him in that SummerSlam match, but I could be wrong which kicked off the Authority angle.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 8, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NameHurtBrain posted:

Cena had more of a run with US period even not considering the Open Challenge run.

All of Hunter's IC runs were forgettable - his really early one for a few months in 96-97 doesn't have any moments really tied to it. His 98 run wasn't a run - the Rock Ladder match was super memorable as was the title chase in general, but he immediately went on the shelf basically after winning it and it was vacated.

The 2001 runs were basically just going 'Two Man Power Trip is Awesome' which wasn't terrible since two guys with four belts was a look. He also technically held it for a day in 2002 when he unified it with the WHC, for a strange period where WWE was trying to do one men's single title per show.

Cena's 04-05 US title run is just by default better because he had it for months, had feuds over it, and it was mostly just his until it was time to promote him to the WWE title. Him dropping to Orlando Jordan was a definite dark age for the title though.

The Rock ladder match is very funny for WWE officials talking to Meltzer and thinking it is this star making performance for HHH while he is telling them it was for The Rock.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
officials probably saying that because hhh went over is making me imagine them saying that about the razor/hbk ladder match :laugh:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has there ever been a good lumberjack match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ROH had the incredibly fun Lumberjacks with Straps match with the American Wolves vs Erick Stevens and Roderick Strong in 2008. WCW did the same gimmick with Windham and Hennig vs the Horsemen at Uncensored 99 which is pretty good since there was only so much you could get out of 99 Windham and Hennig.

People loved a WWE lumberjack match from the Shield breakup that basically just led to a crowd brawl and the lumberjacks catching a huge balcony dive.

AEW had the extremely good Wardlow vs Luchasaurus lumberjack match last year.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

AEW had the extremely good Wardlow vs Luchasaurus lumberjack match last year.

I'd also like to mention Orange Cassidy vs Hardy was a fun lumberjack match with a unique story of the lumberjacks being 90% heels, and Best Friends being the only ones to understand the assignment of what being a lumberjack means.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That makes sense, I've never seen any of those, thanks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

harperdc posted:

US Title Open Challenge Cena was the perfect use for him at that time. Wasn’t that also when Mark Henry faked the retirement as well?

Wasnt the fake retirement like 5 years before the us title challenge

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd also like to mention Orange Cassidy vs Hardy was a fun lumberjack match with a unique story of the lumberjacks being 90% heels, and Best Friends being the only ones to understand the assignment of what being a lumberjack means.

It also gave us the best friends dressed as lumberjacks, which was pretty funny.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All lumberjacks in a lumberjack match should have to dress as a lumberjack.

Also, did the Bone Street Krew every actually accomplish anything? The point was apparently to combat the Kliq but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also, did the Bone Street Krew every actually accomplish anything? The point was apparently to combat the Kliq but it doesn't seem to have worked.

actually the point of the bone street krew was to play dominoes together in the lockerroom

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I knew that's where the "Bone" came from but every time they come up it's with "We had to start BSK to keep the Kliq from taking over backstage"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean if the point was to keep people on the card everyone in BSK except, maybe Savio Vega or Crush had decent runs, everyone else either had good runs or had decent runs cut short via injury. I don't see anyone on that roster that was awful and obviously had their spot protected via nepotism, so hard to say.

edit: Thinking about it I don't really see the Kliq having been successful if their goal was to protect Kliq as tippy top dudes. Razor was always an upper midcard dude, Diesel had his run but was subsequently dropped, Shawn was legitimately one of like three or four excellent wrestlers during his run, X-Pac was basically a glorified jobber, HHH didn't really get anything until far after the curtain call and got passed up by Rock/Austin/Taker til like 2000/2001

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 8, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

The Rock ladder match is very funny for WWE officials talking to Meltzer and thinking it is this star making performance for HHH while he is telling them it was for The Rock.

Just like Steve Austin getting run over.

Mark Henry and Christian had a great heel vs. heel lumberjack match for the WHC. The idea behind it was that Christian was trying to convince the lumberjacks to go after Henry so he could take advantage. It did not work out for him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

Just like Steve Austin getting run over.

Mark Henry and Christian had a great heel vs. heel lumberjack match for the WHC. The idea behind it was that Christian was trying to convince the lumberjacks to go after Henry so he could take advantage. It did not work out for him.

If this is the one where Christian gives Sheamus a potato, and Sheamus bites into it and spits it out and says ".... idaho..." then I am ashamed to admit I liked that match and angle.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

edogawa rando posted:

You could criticise how that all turned out when he dropped it to Del Rio, but in all fairness, he did his part to make the belt mean something, and the League of Nations floundering as hard as they did has everything to do with Creative and Vince being an utter omnishambles as bookers, and nothing to do with BIG MATCH JOHN. Honestly, it takes a special skill to gently caress up a stable made up of Sheamus, Rusev and Wade Barrett. Also Del Rio, but gently caress that piece of poo poo. I'm delighted he was squandered at the WWE, the loving prick.

it's funny that del rio went from MEX-AMERICA when he came back and beat cena, and then it was so bad he moved to THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS which also sucked.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

it's funny that del rio went from MEX-AMERICA when he came back and beat cena, and then it was so bad he moved to THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS which also sucked.

It's years later and we still have now idea what the gently caress the Mex-America gimmick was supposed to be.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Claytor posted:

It's years later and we still have now idea what the gently caress the Mex-America gimmick was supposed to be.

Zeb is a great mouthpiece, so there was a kernel of a good idea there in trying to pair him with Alberto, but it just ended up as confusing. underdeveloped slop on screen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Q7kid posted:

Zeb is a great mouthpiece, so there was a kernel of a good idea there in trying to pair him with Alberto, but it just ended up as confusing. underdeveloped slop on screen.

I'm not sure there's ever a kernel of a good idea pairing an old white racist from South Carolina with a Mexican and having them do a "WE THE PEOPLE" thing.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm not sure there's ever a kernel of a good idea pairing an old white racist from South Carolina with a Mexican and having them do a "WE THE PEOPLE" thing.

I meant more letting Zeb talk for Alberto. As noted, they executed it in the worst possible way. Also, just because they could have done it better doesn't mean they should have done it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Shawn Michaels vs. Jim Duggan from an early Raw at the Manhattan Center is really good and maybe Duggan's best WWF performance.