Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

acumen posted:

Even if EW ends up being better than ShB - and it might - ShB is still extremely good. Like, HW and SB are good MMORPG expansions and FF games. But ShB is transcendent. I definitely wouldn't skip that one.

I'm just starting Shadowbringers, but I can't play because of the queue. As someone enjoying the game vicariously through this thread and Larryzaur videos, what can I look forward to that makes Shadowbringers so good?

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Selachian posted:

I'm also highly skeptical that the Senna kids are as old as they're shown on the chart.

Anyway, I don't understand the need for story skips myself (although of course you should play the game the way that's fun for you). I'm still pootling along toward the end of Heavensward myself, and I don't expect to get to Endwalker for months yet. If anything, the fact that the hype will have died down by the time I get there is a plus for me -- I hate having to elbow my way through crowds to get to every new questgiver.

Anyway, I just picked up the Wondrous Tails book, and it's left me curious -- how hard are Extreme trials actually? I am far from a hardcore raider, so I was a bit surprised to find that allegedly Hard trials weren't actually all that tough if I did a bit of reading beforehand. How much of a difficulty jump is Extreme?

Padjal have the ability to stop or extremely slow their aging process, the listed ages are accurate.

As for Extremes they're more complicated than Hard mode Trials, they tend not repeat mechanics in a run so you have to keep adapting to new circumstances as you go. Whereas a Hard mode you can usually run blind, I'd recommend watching a video tutorial for Extremes, or you'll wipe to avoidable mechanics several times until you learn, and you might still do that.

All this assumes you're doing an at level or min-ilvl run of it. If you've got a party of 80s or 90s with you just watch the flashing lights and try not to die.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 8, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anything in your WT is going to be from old content, though, and can thus be unsynced to make it much easier.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Selachian posted:

I'm also highly skeptical that the Senna kids are as old as they're shown on the chart.

Anyway, I don't understand the need for story skips myself (although of course you should play the game the way that's fun for you). I'm still pootling along toward the end of Heavensward, and I don't expect to get to Endwalker for months yet. If anything, the fact that the hype will have died down by the time I get there is a plus for me -- I hate having to elbow my way through crowds to get to every new questgiver.

Anyway, I just picked up the Wondrous Tails book, and it's left me curious -- how hard are Extreme trials actually? I am far from a hardcore raider, so I was a bit surprised to find that allegedly Hard trials weren't all that tough if I did a bit of reading beforehand. How much of a difficulty jump is Extreme?

Extreme trials when first released or using min ilvl are reasonably tough, certainly much harder than the "hard" modes. They're a step below savage raids but they definitely require a coordinated group. People do form groups for them, but normally if they just want to clear them for that thing you spoilered they just go in unsynched so they can solo them.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Plenty of groups clear extremes using pick-up groups in party finder so it's not too bad to get onboard with them. A lot of mechanics on EX fights in earlier expansions are just standard mechanics you see in modern raids or even dungeons now.

The general difficulty tiering at level for 8/24 man content (there are of course exceptions) is normal/hard/story trials -> alliance raids = normal 8 man raids -> EX trials -> savage raids -> ultimates.

Some alliance raids are very simple particularly by virtue of having 24 folks. Some are hard enough where there can and will be multiple wipes especially when new. Normal mode raids are around the same difficulty or perhaps a bit easier but the personal responsibility is higher since there's only 8 people.

Everything below EX trials is just "queue using duty finder and hell, just go in blind". EX and above you will probably need a preformed group or will use party finder to get people and you probably want to at least give a quick glance at a guide unless you are going in blind with some friends.

As a general rule, any content you unlock as part of playing through storylines is doable via DF and should not require advanced planning or commitment. Anything where the unlock is optional after you do the base version is going to be a step up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shoc77 posted:

People are saying that endwalker is the best expansion for FF14.

Given all the hype, should I just skip the previous expansions straight into it?

I'm still just beginning Heavenward and it will probably take me half a year before I reach endwalker, which by then the hype would have faded away...

thats_bait.gif

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Travic posted:

I'm just starting Shadowbringers, but I can't play because of the queue. As someone enjoying the game vicariously through this thread and Larryzaur videos, what can I look forward to that makes Shadowbringers so good?

For me, it was just down to phenomenal storytelling. They really do a deep dive into the history of the conflict that's central to the game's plot in a way that's really gripping. They have a cool mystery going on with your main friendly NPC, they introduce a lot of other compelling allies and basically set the stage for the climax in Endwalker.

All the Trials are incredibly cinematic and there's only one dungeon I felt was kinda meh. The zones are gorgeous, the music is incredible, my DRK armor looked cool as hell.

I feel like it's hard for me to explain while trying not to spoil anything but it really was just firing on all cylinders pretty much from the time you finish the introductory MSQ steps

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Selachian posted:

Anyway, I don't understand the need for story skips myself (although of course you should play the game the way that's fun for you). I'm still pootling along toward the end of Heavensward, and I don't expect to get to Endwalker for months yet. If anything, the fact that the hype will have died down by the time I get there is a plus for me -- I hate having to elbow my way through crowds to get to every new questgiver.

Anyway, I just picked up the Wondrous Tails book, and it's left me curious -- how hard are Extreme trials actually? I am far from a hardcore raider, so I was a bit surprised to find that allegedly Hard trials weren't all that tough if I did a bit of reading beforehand. How much of a difficulty jump is Extreme?

It’s a great time to jump into extremes. Traditionally the first two launch ones are the easiest or close to the easiest of the expansion (on purpose, they also make the first group of savage fights slightly easier. Their statement is they believe people are still acclimating to job changes), and they’re very approachable in AF gear + whatever accessories you’ve gotten from dungeons. If you want to soften them up further uncapped tome gear is all a decent upgrade and fairly easily obtainable.
Finally people hitting cap at different paces means there’s a fairly steady flow of people learning them from scratch, along with no other challenging content coming out for a month so interest in farming is high. So there’s no better time to try it out

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Shadowbringers has excellent presentation, excellent pacing, great characters and character beats, and starts to pay off plot threads ranging all the way back to ARR - many of which you may not have even remembered or realized had significance at the time.

The base premise was a gamble but they lay it out in a way where you realize that none of this was accidental and that they really do have a story planned out and aren't just winging it.

Also yeah the duties and gameplay are spot on too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

shoc77 posted:

Given all the hype, should I just skip the previous expansions straight into it?

You won't understand a thing. It's all one, cohesive story, everything in Endwalker is the payoff to plots and characters that start early in the game.

Don't worry about hype, we'll be hyped about this poo poo for years. There's no obsolete content in this game, everything old gets used at the endgame.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are the other expansions easier to get into or can I expect them all to be like ARR->Heavensward?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No other expansion's x.1-x.5 is as long as the one between ARR to HW, so you should be fine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibblebibble posted:

No other expansion's x.1-x.5 is as long as the one between ARR to HW, so you should be fine.

Also you don't need to get to the other starting cities to unlock each following expansion's new jobs.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Tortolia posted:

Shadowbringers has excellent presentation, excellent pacing, great characters and character beats, and starts to pay off plot threads ranging all the way back to ARR - many of which you may not have even remembered or realized had significance at the time.

The base premise was a gamble but they lay it out in a way where you realize that none of this was accidental and that they really do have a story planned out and aren't just winging it.

Also yeah the duties and gameplay are spot on too.

Skypie posted:

For me, it was just down to phenomenal storytelling. They really do a deep dive into the history of the conflict that's central to the game's plot in a way that's really gripping. They have a cool mystery going on with your main friendly NPC, they introduce a lot of other compelling allies and basically set the stage for the climax in Endwalker.

All the Trials are incredibly cinematic and there's only one dungeon I felt was kinda meh. The zones are gorgeous, the music is incredible, my DRK armor looked cool as hell.

I feel like it's hard for me to explain while trying not to spoil anything but it really was just firing on all cylinders pretty much from the time you finish the introductory MSQ steps

Sounds good. I have a three day weekend coming up so hopefully I can wake up early and get some time in.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are the other expansions easier to get into or can I expect them all to be like ARR->Heavensward?

In what sense?

ARR does a ton of table setting and positioning pieces on the board, in part because Square was scrambling like mad to relaunch a game and put content into it. There were also some misguided choices in that era, like each patch needing X msq quests and approximately Y hours of time taken to do them.

Once you clear 2.3 and they stop stalling a bit, they line up the pieces to get into HW and hit the gas. Beyond that the pacing is steady - the base expansion and patches up through X.3 tell that story and wrap it up, and X.4 and X.5 set up the next expansion. This is consistent all the way to Endwalker, where they rolled the story that would have normally been 6.1-6.3 into the base expansion. 6.1 will the the start of a brand new arc.

So if the general slow pace of ARR is getting you down, no, it's not a constant issue going forward.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Alright, you guys have convinced me.

I admit that part of me wanting to rush to endwalker is because this is my first expansion on release and I would like to stay current on raid content and that if it takes me too long to reach endwalker, I would be too far behind the gear curve and unable to catch up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

shoc77 posted:

I admit that part of me wanting to rush to endwalker is because this is my first expansion on release and I would like to stay current on raid content and that if it takes me too long to reach endwalker, I would be too far behind the gear curve and unable to catch up.

The gear curve in this game doesn't work like that. It is not hard to get raid ready, so don't worry about it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm not really sure what that means tbh so i think it is something that is an issue for other mmos and not this one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

shoc77 posted:

Every patch has a catch up mechanic, and the raids start fresh. The story level raids stay used in the roulettes, so they're always available.

All the patches have big gear catch-up mechanics, and the hard difficulty raids are broken into tiers you can start with each patch. Even if it took you 6 months to catch up, you can easily catch up on gear and dive straight into that tier of raids.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

shoc77 posted:

The nice thing is FFXIV doesn't really obsolete content and makes gear catch-up trivial, so when you get to endgame - wherever the endgame itself may be then - you're not going to have issues getting going.

So don't stress it and take your time.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

shoc77 posted:

This game doesn't work like that. It's not a concern at all, you'll never 'fall behind'.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

As an example, I started playing in July, just reached the end of Shadowbringers 5.0 around early November. Got gated from doing post-game content due to item level. I could have just bought crafted gear on the marketboard and been 100% up to date, but I'm cheap and decided to grind out upgrades via tomestones and raid drops. Took me about 2 weeks to get a high enough item level to participate in all post-game content, and could have gone quicker had I been willing to regrind the same raid multiple times a day (because apparently older raids have no limit on items you can earn).

RME
Feb 20, 2012

shoc77 posted:

You can be sufficiently geared for savage by just obtaining a set of crafted gear which has consistently only become easier or cheaper to obtain because more people capped crafters these days

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

shoc77 posted:

If you're only looking at doing the normal difficulty content, which is made for everyone to be able to clear and be able to participate in the various storylines, then gear basically doesn't matter. The free gear the game gives you is enough to complete that content. It's also enough to clear the first step up in content difficulty called Extreme, though that does take competent players and coordination.

If you're looking at doing higher difficulty content than normal and Extreme, you still have to do a little prep as far as getting a minimum level of gear required but it's not like WoW (using this as an example because it's what I've played in the past) where gear is much more varied and some things can have good buffs and some things can have bad buffs or whatever and the good stuff might have awful drop rates. Gearing is much more straightforward in that you only have a few choices to make and the gear is pretty easy to get.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Catch up is very painless in FF14, yeah. The devs deliberately made it easy to pick back up so you don't feel guilty or pressured into playing like it's a job.

The main producer Yoshi-P is on record as having said as much. And that if you don't feel like playing, you can un-sub and come back later if there's content that appeals to you.

At the time, years ago, there was some mild contention about that, where some people thought Yoshi-P wasn't taking his job as lead dev of an mmo seriously enough (because they felt MMOs should basically be a virtual world to immerse themselves in or at least a forever game you shouldn't be able to escape without pressure or difficulty) but in retrospect it was clear he was giving a mission statement.

So take the game at your own pace, don't feel rushed. Heck, that's what streamers have been doing.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i'm not really sure what that means tbh so i think it is something that is an issue for other mmos and not this one.

You dodged a bullet on mmo grinds, yes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Other games will have something like "Get Tier 1 raid gear to get Tier 2 raid gear to get Tier 3 raid gear to do the current Tier 4 content" and if they have ways to skip tiers it's long and grindy and intended as a way for geared folks to gear up their alts rather than for new players to get in on things.

FF14, in contrast, has "entry-level" stuff that can be gotten by crafting, buying, running stuff for tomestones, et cetera. When Tier 4 content comes out, that "entry-level" access gets bumped up to Tier 3. You may need to run old raid tiers to unlock the new stuff, but you only need to run it once. And combine that with a system that encourages people running old content, it's very easy to get where you want to be compared to "the real game is at endgame and leveling is just filler" MMOs.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Unrelated to the current topic, I swear after one of the recent Endwalker dev talks, they mentioned they were going to raise the Glamour dresser cap again. But, I can't find any details corroborating that when I search (just mention of the increase durng Shadowbringers), so now I'm wondering if I just imagined it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Unrelated to the current topic, I swear after one of the recent Endwalker dev talks, they mentioned they were going to raise the Glamour dresser cap again. But, I can't find any details corroborating that when I search (just mention of the increase durng Shadowbringers), so now I'm wondering if I just imagined it.

I think they said around 6.1 was when they wanted to try and start implementing more glamour. That's what this article says anyway

https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/ffxiv-more-glamour-plates

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Ah ha! Thanks... I seemed to remember it wasn't for launch, but 6.1 isn't that bad of a wait.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I remember that too, but believe they said it would be in a 6.x patch not release. I don’t think they have specifics

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The implication was that they were working on solutions to the glamour problem (and it didn't sound like they were just talking about adding more plates or dresser slots) but that they would have more info for us at a later date.

6.1 is seemingly pretty packed so I expect any glamour changes, especially if they are more systemic, to come a bit later.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Every patch has a catch up mechanic

All the patches have big gear catch-up mechanics

As someone who hasn't reached any of the patches yet I'm curious, what are these mechanics? I assume the gear catch-up mechanic is previous patch gear being purchasable with Tomestones, but what's the leveling catch-up mechanic (assuming that's what you mean)?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

exp bonus earrings :D

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The only thing I want in 6.1 is the drat hrothgals

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

As someone who hasn't reached any of the patches yet I'm curious, what are these mechanics? I assume the gear catch-up mechanic is previous patch gear being purchasable with Tomestones, but what's the leveling catch-up mechanic (assuming that's what you mean)?

Leveling itself has inherent catch-up through the passive armory bonus (50 or 100% bonus exp on jobs lower level than your highest), and being able to get exp via a variety of systems outside of just dungeons and roulettes; things like Wonderous Tales books or beast tribe dailies or PvP or challenge logs, or running the Bozja relic weapon battlefields.

Gear catch-up takes multiple forms; new tiers of crafted gear in even number patches and ways to augment their ilevel slightly in odd; removing weekly drop limits on raid gear and tokens; tomestones for current expansion content being cycled and previously top tier tome gear later being available for the secondary unlimited/non-capped tomestone.

I know plenty of folks who came back from a hiatus and just bought or had a crafter make them some crafted gear and they were off to go do the content they had missed and make further progress from there.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

MockingQuantum posted:

There’s no patch level up mechanics only for gear. In fact most of the patch quest are worse for coming than the MSQ of the X.0 content. Still you’ll probably enter Heavensward at level 60+ and the rest of the expansions 2+ levels above the minimum. It’s really hard to fall behind on leveling unless you’re leveling 3+ jobs simultaneously.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just do your Leveling Roulette and other roulette dailies and you won't ever be wanting for exp. You'll even the 47-50 doldrums if you're still leveling your main job. You get pretty generous Armoury Bonuses for leveling alt jobs, double the exp rate from enemies including dungeon bosses so long as they're lower level than your main job. The Armoury Bonus drops to 50% when you hit level 80 but by that point you're probably engaging with the current expac content.

Gear catch-up is mostly about buying crafted gear, which is always good and fast, if pricey, or grinding tomestones from level 50/60/70/80 dungeons and raids. Stuff that used to be endgame content when their respective expacs were current. I say grinding but it's pretty fast, all told.

And from Post-ARR on, you'll also be getting gear from msq quests so you shouldn't have to worry about gearing up your first job at all.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I feel like I'm slogging through the lvl 50 MSQ chains in order to unlock all the post-50 job quests for all the jobs I've hit 60+ on. I outleveled MSQ even before Praetorium and really just want my job quest skills, y'know?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Better to be overlevelled than under, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Cyks posted:

My original post was about how I quit the game twice on my first two attempts and how I am now enjoying it immensely by playing through it in a different way but people see the word “skip” and just jump on it.

I think people are more adamant about this approach because many of us (definitely including myself) are the "rush to end game" type players, had the exact same experience, and learned this lesson the hard way with FFXIV.

I'd suggest anyone new try it without the level skip at least until you get to the end boss of Heavensward. And it supposedly keeps getting better (I'm still 62 on my main). Because if you don't think that's rad and want to skip over it, that's totally valid, but odds seem to be against people falling into this camp.