Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

Good grief:

Yeah, it was really obvious that the lawyer was either straight lying or was misled by those two.

Also, another datapoint that vaccines still work against Omicron, we're just in the booster phase of fighting COVID:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1468550678628941827?t=x6SoCfum2C2_5hgMqpFXkA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fair and balanced?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
WAR ON CHRISTMAS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/classywarfare/status/1455327829864992770

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Hanukah!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1468364409093246978?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For what it's worth, this Saudi sale is apparently all air-to-air missiles, mostly anti-drone stuff. But that argument is also the same argument people use to fund Israel for all the Iron Dome stuff because it's all "defensive" stuff.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The saudis have enough oil money, they can go ahead and build their own weapons industry.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

AWS went down for hours yesterday, essentially killing an entire shipping day and setting stuff back. It was a pretty big shitshow and today is going to be rough in the logistics world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...ncy-11638972001

Some of the terminals use Kindles to operate the doors and release the locks on the docks. Real OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, ALEXA vibes

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carteret posted:

AWS went down for hours yesterday, essentially killing an entire shipping day and setting stuff back. It was a pretty big shitshow and today is going to be rough in the logistics world.

Some of the terminals use Kindles to operate the doors and release the locks on the docks. Real OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, ALEXA vibes

It also knocked out my iRobot setup. I mean all I had to do was push a button and it worked and it wasn’t a big deal, but according to their service notes that’s why it was down yesterday.

Also rip for the poor bastards coming home and their cat feeder didn’t work and their cat is pissed at them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Carteret posted:

THE SUPPLY CHAIN IS STRONG AND RESILIENT

JIT CANNOT FAIL ONLY BE FAILED

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Apparently Boebert did a family gun photo like that moron in Ohio or Kentucky or whatever dead rear end state, so get ready to hear about that all day.

E: debt ceiling passed the house.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 8, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Apparently Boebert did a family gun photo like that moron in Ohio or Kentucky or whatever dead rear end state, so get ready to hear about that all day.

The other one was fun because the dipshit was one of the ones crying about Kamala buying an expensive cooking pot.

In the photo he was holding an NFA machine gun estimated over $10k not including all the other guns in the photo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Semi-auto M60s msrp for $22k. A stamped, transferable M60 seems to go for $40-80k+.

E: Springfield M60 semi-autos are $23k but apparently available around $15k. Other makes are available but also north of $10k for a semi-auto.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Semi-auto M60s msrp for $22k. A stamped, transferable M60 seems to go for $40-80k+.

Yeah, the only thing you’re going for 10K is may be a MAC or some tube gun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah my bad I know they are in the tens of thousands and that's all

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

Yeah my bad I know they are in the tens of thousands and that's all

Yeah, the automatic firearm market is ridiculous. Cheapest are knocking on $10k for a Mac-11 or Tec-9, then you get into FNCs, then it's just bonkers for anything made by HK, Colt, Springfield.

Meanwhile idiots can 3D print auto-sears for their ARs. 'Murica.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah another new one agrees:

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1468359520422354944

So basically, boosters and better masks. Get your boosters when you hit 6 months and for gently caress's sake - ditch the paper/fabric masks and get KN95s.

Does this specifically say that all masks aside from KN95s are ineffective in any way?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
AWS' downtime also hosed up canvas yesterday which wrecked a lot of universities across the nation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

AWS' downtime also hosed up canvas yesterday which wrecked a lot of universities across the nation.

So I’m wondering, I know odds are overwhelmingly that it was a tech or hardware issue.

Any chance it was done intentional by a third party? Perhaps even a test for something larger (granted you don’t disclose an exploit in a test first).

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I’m wondering, I know odds are overwhelmingly that it was a tech or hardware issue.

Any chance it was done intentional by a third party? Perhaps even a test for something larger (granted you don’t disclose an exploit in a test first).

Bad actor is unlikely.

Usually, when things like this happen (cloudflare outage, AWS outage, etc) it just provides a view on how little most places are willing to spend on infrastructure. These outages were from a single accessibility zone going down, AWS was designed to withstand that as long as you paid to use multiple accessibility zones.

From what I saw/read, the consensus is that someone pushed an update that broke the management console access and some APIs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MazelTovCocktail posted:

A junior admin typoed a command and accidentally'd the entire region. Basically he was supposed to delete a few redundant machines, but ended up deleting a whole lot more

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

A junior admin typoed a command and accidentally'd the entire region. Basically he was supposed to delete a few redundant machines, but ended up deleting a whole lot more

RM -rf strikes again!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ah gently caress, the poor bastard.

- a 25 series soldier

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I really wonder how long amazon can keep the "you can't sue us for aws outages because we explicitly refuse to guarantee any uptime" poo poo up

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

I really wonder how long amazon can keep the "you can't sue us for aws outages because we explicitly refuse to guarantee any uptime" poo poo up

I think it will happen forever. AWS tells you to use multiple zones to avoid the issues that have occured. Also, even without any guarantees, they have better uptime than most.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Does this specifically say that all masks aside from KN95s are ineffective in any way?

It doesn't matter. We're not permitted to discuss masks itt:

FrozenVent posted:

This isn’t the place to debate what kind of mask is or is not effective.

If you have questions about masks, please see the CDC, for example

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ASAPI posted:

Bad actor is unlikely.

Usually, when things like this happen (cloudflare outage, AWS outage, etc) it just provides a view on how little most places are willing to spend on infrastructure. These outages were from a single accessibility zone going down, AWS was designed to withstand that as long as you paid to use multiple accessibility zones.

From what I saw/read, the consensus is that someone pushed an update that broke the management console access and some APIs.

I wonder if we’ll start to see an increase in redundancy storage planning now (not that they shouldn’t have been doing that before).

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, I figured it would be more of an Occam‘s razor thing and be a techie issue.

Also anyone else hear about this?
https://twitter.com/journogeoffz/status/1468619264953307142?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Bad actor is unlikely.

Companies are cheap but AWS is also expensive as gently caress and it's really easy to get in over your head with charges

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiny Timbs posted:

Companies are cheap but AWS is also expensive as gently caress and it's really easy to get in over your head with charges

This is also probably a good explanation for why most of our personal data is probably in the hands of the Ministry of state security in the PRC.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Last I checked a legal AR autosear goes for something like 25k at least.

Fake Edit- possibly under 20k I guess lol I love shooting my AR but Christ what a waste of money.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

This is also probably a good explanation for why most of our personal data is probably in the hands of the Ministry of state security in the PRC.

Eh, having worked at a startup, you'd be surprised at how many of those monetize the Personal Info of their employees as a backup revenue stream. My personal cell, email, and address were sold to a marketing contact list before my company email was even turned on.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Good thing we really laid the hammer down on Equifax a couple years ago, I’m sure irresponsible data vendors learned their lesson.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Last I checked a legal AR autosear goes for something like 25k at least.

Fake Edit- possibly under 20k I guess lol I love shooting my AR but Christ what a waste of money.

Lightning Links are also fragile as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADo_pOKUBY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RFC2324 posted:

del *.*

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lightning Links are also fragile as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADo_pOKUBY

Yep and the ATF has said that you can't transfer the serial number to replace a damaged one. That said I get their line of thinking, because apparently it was allowed (or not bothered with at some point), but then dumbasses (like 1970s gun show totally not a suppressor items) transferred them to other non 1:1 replacements (though perhaps I'm mixing the later with MAC's getting registered when there weren't even made yet).

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Immanentized posted:

Eh, having worked at a startup, you'd be surprised at how many of those monetize the Personal Info of their employees as a backup revenue stream. My personal cell, email, and address were sold to a marketing contact list before my company email was even turned on.

Yeah everyone's data is out everywhere in large part because the free market sells it. And they sell it for not much, and without a lot of oversight on who they sell to. The big bad guys making your life worse live here, for the most part.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hah the fox news Christmas tree burning was arson

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1468601067990618122?t=MB-RXhzsu0iLPg8tIbrexw&s=19

THIS MEANS WAR

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The ghost of general Sherman has joined the war on Christmas :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
not even a real tree its just a drat frame