Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ever since AFR I feel like complaints like this are pointless

*picture of rampant growth* We used to be a country, a proper country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chakan posted:

Takklemaggot is a fun and interesting card where if you explain the flavor first, most every player will understand what’s going on. Similar to Chains, once you get the intent it’s not hard to understand the mechanical concept. But Magic is a game where “dies” and “leaves the battlefield” are not the same thing, and when you’re that granular then players are going to require the oracle text on hand and for you to explain it to them step-by-step.

What's the flavor behind Takklemaggot? I've had one since I opened one from a pack of Chronicles and just assumed it was a gnarly Alien/Aliens reference.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bringing merfolk back to modern tonight

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You can't fail to find with Seek, right? It just happens?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

odiv posted:

You can't fail to find with Seek, right? It just happens?

Yeah, since it only happens on Arena, it happens automatically

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Don't look at the flavor text of Leaf Gilder unless you want to poo poo your pants at the disrespect to nature on a mono-green card.

I hate Lorwyn Nazis

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

A Moose posted:

Yeah, since it only happens on Arena, it happens automatically
Thanks. I was just imagining a scenario where you have six lands out when you cast Settle the Wilds and a Vorinclex or something in your library, but can't seek it and it made me sad. :(

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 8, 2021

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If there are no cards in your library that fulfil the seek condition it won't work

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

odiv posted:

Thanks. I was just imagining a scenario where you have six lands out when you cast Settle the Wilds and a Vorinclex or something in your library, but can't seek it and it made me sad. :(

Yeah, you just grab your 7. It'll be ok.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this would have been great in paper :/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah man if there's anything I want from my Cultivate, it's for it to be harder to cast, to be unable to pick what land I get, and for it to not give me a second card sometimes.

Also the card you draw will be off curve if you make your next land drop after you untap. Hell yeah baby sign me up.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this would have been great in paper :/

Is there any reason this has to be digital only? Maybe it'll get a reprint

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah man if there's anything I want from my Cultivate, it's for it to be harder to cast, to be unable to pick what land I get, and for it to not give me a second card sometimes.

Also the card you draw will be off curve if you make your next land drop after you untap. Hell yeah baby sign me up.

Lmao source your quotes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Is there any reason this has to be digital only? Maybe it'll get a reprint

No, but it's a bunch of bookkeeping in paper, and as evidenced this week, Magic players have difficulty with that sort of thing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I mean most of these things are controllable things and a 4-5 drop is better than a land 90% of the time. I think it's better than Cultivate the vast majority of the time but it's not unbelievably better.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

How does that work exactly with effects like "whenever you cast a creature spell with power 4 or greater"? when does the 'becoming' happen exactly

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

resistentialism posted:

How does that work exactly with effects like "whenever you cast a creature spell with power 4 or greater"? when does the 'becoming' happen exactly

The card says it "becomes" a crow "when you cast" it. So it's still in the stack. And it's a trigger, so order your triggers as you like. Literally the only thing that reads like you said is Sarkhan's Unsealing, so in that 1 edge case, do what you want.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sampatrick posted:

I mean most of these things are controllable things and a 4-5 drop is better than a land 90% of the time. I think it's better than Cultivate the vast majority of the time but it's not unbelievably better.

The decks that have played Cultivate in Standard are almost entirely looking for more land drops (Ultimatums, or Valakut a decade ago) so your 90% is way way overstated.

I guess you can play it in historic with Omnath but alchemized Omnath costs 5 so you're forced into playing this off curve to get something flowing.

Really a better comparison would be to The Celestus, as ramp plus card selection, which I'd much rather have in more cases, especially since it is can be played in any colour deck not just heavy green.

Maybe there's some deck that specifically wants this to get a key 4 but then you're just hosed if you don't cast this on the exact correct turn.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Holy poo poo I only now realized that Huntmaster doesn't give you additional copies for each copy you exile from your deck

Why the gently caress would they write the card that way

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jiro posted:

What's the flavor behind Takklemaggot? I've had one since I opened one from a pack of Chronicles and just assumed it was a gnarly Alien/Aliens reference.

Yeah, it’s a parasite that eventually kills the host then latches on to a new one. If you explain to people unfamiliar with the card that it will put -0/-1 counters till the host dies then the host’s controller picks a new creature to infect or it hurts them, that works better than reading the card verbatim, where people will get lost in the exact effect and lose the idea of the card.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A big flaming stink posted:

Holy poo poo I only now realized that Huntmaster doesn't give you additional copies for each copy you exile from your deck

That's the power of digital babyyyy

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/korean-and-chinese-traditional-product-lineup-changes-2021-12-08

KOREAN AND CHINESE (TRADITIONAL) PRODUCT LINEUP CHANGES

quote:

Starting with Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, Set Boosters will be made available in both Korean and Chinese (Traditional), replacing Draft Boosters. In regions that previously received Draft Boosters in these languages, English Draft Boosters may still be available.

This change is part of a rebalancing of our product lineup aimed at addressing player needs and purchasing behaviors in regions served by Korean and Chinese (Traditional) language boosters. Our goal is to provide better access to a broad range of cards while still providing Limited play experiences for players who want them:

Set Boosters—which contain cards from The List and exclusive Commander-focused cards from each set—better enable players to build collections for a growing Commander community.
Draft play will still be supported in this region, and we will be providing local game stores with options for play events on Prerelease with local-language boosters and/or English Draft Boosters. Players who have previously played in events in these languages should check with their local stores once we get closer to Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty.

We understand that for many players who are not otherwise affected by this change, it might signal a shift in our approach to Draft Boosters globally. While shipping and production challenges over the past year certainly affected our ability to deliver an optimized product balance, Draft Boosters are and will remain an important part of the player experience.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 8, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

well, that's it for draft then, isn't it? Quick someone make a limited format with set boosters.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
it seems like it's mostly for korean and chinese markets? bit of a weirdly worded announcement though

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah I updated the OP to include their title.

I guess Koreans and some parts of the Chinese diaspora don't play draft, only commander?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Green can't have all the fun of having long winded confusing cards

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

It does two things:

1. Removes cards from deck. Just deck thinning stuff you don't want into exile (or stuff you can cast from exile later like that one weird card?)

2. Removes cards from hand, but turns the removed card into a sideboard card

Or a combination thereof.

It originally just did 1), but they changed it in development so that it could do 2) too, as a power boost

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

At first I was really down on these lovely digital only cards, but it's nice clean designs like this that make it all worth it imo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Kind of surprised there's a large enough market for trad Chinese (I assume simplified already had these products?)

e: jfc isn't digital the worst format for mucho texto due to text size?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 8, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah, this one was spoiled first, a couple of days ago.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

More catty than Eldraine Standard

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
What the gently caress, I hate all of these Alchemy cards spoiled so far

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they're going to implement all this complicated arcane bullshit, let me synchro summon already

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
The first "conjure a spell from a list" card in Historic Horizons was cute, now this set has a shitload of them, yeah cool every card is now a sideboard, just go crazy

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
https://twitter.com/MTGNerdGirl/status/1468418004933169157?s=20

I mean what is this poo poo

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
At least it has become unmistakable that they're sticking their b team on this stuff

E: why the hell are they using "draft" now when they used conjure previously

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 8, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

At least it has become unmistakable that they're sticking their b team on this stuff

E: why the hell are they using "draft" now when they used conjure previously

Conjure and draft aren't the same thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm trying to think of the use case for the exile from library part of this card. Deck thinning? Removing potential bad draws from your current matchup?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

https://scryfall.com/sets/sta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eej posted:

I'm trying to think of the use case for the exile from library part of this card. Deck thinning? Removing potential bad draws from your current matchup?

Yes, that is literally what the tweet said.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)