Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

Feeling like I peaked professionally two companies ago with the company owned by the micromanaging psychopath. Bleh.

What do you want to see yourself doing, where and on what timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I forgot to send the e-mail to let the people know that the report I update the 1st of every month is updated. I know I hosed up, but like... Just check if it is updated?

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The report is to keep metrics up to date. But as far as I can tell no one here gets raises (That's what everyone keeps telling me.) so I'm not sure what the metrics are for. They're surely not going to fire anyone, they're woefully understaffed already.

xcheopis

One of my colleagues is leaving. He's been a phenomenal worker for the past couple years and did so much to keep people in shelters healthy and well.
I am very upset! :argh:

xcheopis

Today we had a mandatory safety meeting because of the recent shooting and people have their cars parked in the lot broken into and also discussions around people on the street teams dealing with armed robbery, clients sexually harassing staff, near by shootings while mobile clinics are being held, and so forth. Most of my coworkers do a very difficult job and it's exhausting having to deal with looming threats of violence near your work and/or from the very people you are trying to help.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Escape From Noise

Woof! What a day! Due to miscommunication and me being a dove and not checking a package thoroughly I only had a fifth of the lactobacillus pitch I needed. I pitched what I had and was worried I'd have to make up the difference with lactic acid. Then I remembered I can use yogurt! So I'll add that tomorrow.

Escape From Noise

Aso no stuck sparge even though I added a lot of oats and the malt grist was half wheat so the grain at grain out was sticky as hell.

It was like shoveling out oatmeal! Woof! I also have to figure out a better way to grain out.

Escape From Noise

Jesus Christ I hate my former boss so loving much.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

EFN send me a screenshot and a link. I have FB and can deal with the reporting and also I'm going to see if you have legal recourse for libel in Japan.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
gently caress a job

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gently caress s drat job

Escape From Noise

Cardi BYOB posted:

EFN send me a screenshot and a link. I have FB and can deal with the reporting and also I'm going to see if you have legal recourse for libel in Japan.

I emailed them again asking them to take it TF down and he responded with a huge, overly long email repeating his dumb lies about how he has to keep it up for legal purposes. Of course he started the email bragging about how the new brewery is just doing so great so it's hard to respond etc., etc.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

I emailed them again asking them to take it TF down and he responded with a huge, overly long email repeating his dumb lies about how he has to keep it up for legal purposes. Of course he started the email bragging about how the new brewery is just doing so great so it's hard to respond etc., etc.

You absolutely have legal recourse and I would recommend that you take it. gently caress him. I don't like laws but I absolutely like revenge.

Escape From Noise

Cardi BYOB posted:

You absolutely have legal recourse and I would recommend that you take it. gently caress him. I don't like laws but I absolutely like revenge.

I'm worried about doing anything because of my work visa situation and he's a very wealthy narcissist.

Escape From Noise

Sometimes I get really sick of this industry. I hate how often you find yourself working for rich, entitled pricks, who work you to death to build up their loving companies and then just shaft you as soon as you start asking for better working conditions or pay. I know this is basically the world we live in, and I'm not so niave to believe it, but there's this whole story of craft beer being this community. That's true to some extent, but only among most of the workers. The owners are wealthy, out of touch, money grubbing assholes that thought they could make their fortune with this craft beer thing. I'm just so loving tired of it. These people just loving poo poo all over their employees then get all this adulation from fans and poo poo and I dunno it just sucks. I don't want praise or anything just credit and secure employment.

My new company is fine and all. I just have been thinking about this and getting angry again.

gently caress a job and gently caress the craft beer industry.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
EFN as a serial beer imbiber I salute your dedication to the craft, we all know who does the actual work to make awesome beer.

It doesn't help that Japan still has a power harassment culture and that sucks, glad your new place is still cool and your ex-boss sounds like a real jerk

Escape From Noise

People are already forgetting about all of the abuse allegations that hit the industry over the summer. It's an industry-wide issue. I guess it gets frustrating to me because of the whole "community" thing around craft beer.

Escape From Noise

On a brighter note: I went to the grocery store today to buy yogurt for the kettle sour, and the place had yogurt culture for sale! Seemed a bit safer.

Also finally got large nitrile gloves today! Should be the end of constantly having to put on new ones that were just a little too small and kept splitting!

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

EFN as a serial beer imbiber I salute your dedication to the craft, we all know who does the actual work to make awesome beer.

It doesn't help that Japan still has a power harassment culture and that sucks, glad your new place is still cool and your ex-boss sounds like a real jerk

Hey, just wanted to say I appreciate what you're trying to say. I was very tired and angry last night. I'm still a bit of both, but it's just this thing I've been dealing with. What follows is a rant that has nothing to do with your post, it's just that it made me think about things more and I kind of want to lay out my thoughts and I made this thread and goddamn it it's for ranting sometimes!

So, for those that don't know, from April of 2018 until July of 2019 I worked at a small brewery in southern Osaka. I loving worked my stupid rear end off to get that place up to standards. It was an uphill battle sometimes. I did lots of research on recipes I needed to develop for the boss, no matter how loving stupid and ridiculous the request (mix juice IPA, putting protein powder in an IPA, could you just recreate this one beer made by a much larger very popular brewery? okaythanks!), I made mistakes that I got my rear end chewed out for no matter how minor, and I learned from them and tried to improve things I wasn't great at like organization and record keeping. My co-worker also helped a lot on the more paperwork/organization/sales side of things. I think together we got a lot of stuff done. I had to deal with people he'd hired for that position beforehand, not based on talent or knowledge, he'd just put people in the position with like severe learning disabilities and poo poo. It was difficult. I managed to make some decent beers. Won a few awards. I would absolutely argue that I built that loving place, at least from the actual product perspective. The owner did not and still does not, know poo poo about brewing, and very little about beer. He's an "ideas guy" with a lot of money and a huge loving ego to go with it (funny how that always works). I had been through a lot and had managed to get things up and running when he suddenly decided he needed to show he was in charge (I'm still sure the whole endeavor is mostly just a loving vanity project). My production schedule would get hosed with constantly, making keeping track of inventory a massive issue. We had a massive stockpile of malts because as soon as we'd sit down for a few hours of a meeting and lay out a schedule and I'd gone back and written recipes and ordered supplies I'd get a call saying we actually needed to shift production because suddenly there was this beer someone asked for or whatever and he needed it ASAP! I barely ever used yeast beyond the first pitch (a loving waste of both money and potential as usually the second or third pitch is actually the strongest yeast). If I hosed up on inventory I got chewed out to hell. We had a massive mouse problem because the brewery was built in an old house, and instead of fixing the issue, he spent money on building a new façade for the production brewery that didn't have a taproom or anything, just so it'd look nice while rats chewed up the inside. Sort of a metaphor for the brewery as a whole. The owner kept pushing for these massive bottling runs (pre-covid) even though kegs make you more money and take up less space, a huge plus in our limited cold room. When I told him we needed to start cutting down on bottling because we didn't have enough space his solution was to just build another cold room. I had to explain to him that we still needed to cut down on bottling in the next month or so while the new cold rooms were built. Just all this all the time. It sucked. At least my pay was alright and my hours weren't crazy. At least for the time being.

I decided I needed to find a new job when I was forced to work Monday to the Thursday of the following week, and I only got that Friday off because I made that call. There was a massive beer fest on the last weekend in may and I was getting everything prepped for it the week before, then I had to work the festival, on like all of the days with very few breaks. The setup he did was also a huge clusterfuck because he numbered the beers based on batch number instead of tap number so customers would come up asking for #12 and I'd have to crane around to look at the sign. It was dumb as gently caress. Also a bunch of other poo poo. He never understood that the point of fests isn't to just sell a huge volume, it's more to drum up publicity, so he put a lot of pressure on everyone to sell. I would have worked the extra days because it's the nature of the business sometimes, but when I asked to come in on Monday at noon, knowing that I only had some dry hopping, and nothing else to do, he said that wasn't possible. Admittedly I "accidentally" overslept on Monday. When I came in and stupidly texted slack to apologize he flipped out and said I had to write a formal letter explaining what I'd done wrong and what I could do to fix the issue. With help I wrote something saying it could have been avoided by staffing the booth at the festival better, allowing for breaks, and by giving compensated days off. He wasn't pleased and told me to write another. I didn't get it done that week because of all the time delay and he told me I should have made it in on Friday to complete the groveling draft. I did it the following week. At that point I'd put out feelers for a new job and that week he wanted a meeting (he wanted to yell at me). By the time the meeting was set I'd found a new job. Being a trusting dumbass I told a few coworkers. We had our "meeting" where he pulled my favorite lovely boss line "I know you were tired. All of us were tired! I was tired!" Yeah. Nothing wears you out like loving going around with your friends all over Japan to bike rallies and poo poo before making an appearance at a beer fest to try and pull in customers but not do anything to help with set up, break down, serving, etc.! Poor guy! I told him I was giving my month's notice (legal minimum here) he said he knew (Don't trust people! ARG!).

A few days later my friend and an industry friend texted me asking if I was doing alright. I didn't know why they were asking. Then they sent me the Facebook link. My boss, in the ensuing couple of days, had posted a long rambling note using my full legal name in both English and Japanese claiming I was working illegally under the wrong visa, also I had never brewed (he literally named every other person who'd ever worked in the brewery other than me), and we'd come to a mutual understanding that I was going to leave in order to help him out or something because immigration was on him. A lie he maintains to this day. I say it's a lie because a. We never discussed this at all, b. Immigration never contacted me about it, and c. The timing was too weird. Sure. This just happened to come down a couple days after I'd put in my notice.

After this it did feel like my life fell apart for a number of reasons and it's only been recently that I've been able to claw back some level of normalcy in a way. I still feel like poo poo and am pretty depressed most days but that's also me a lot of the time so whatever.

The main point is, the industry didn't give a poo poo for the most part. A few people stood by me and kind of called him out. Some did so more privately, which I understand. They were and are industry leaders and can't really be seen to "take sides". But it sucks. I mentioned it to another foreign brewer and he's like "He's always been good to us I don't want to take sides!". Bad news, friend. You've taken a side. Because if you aren't going to stand up for workers when there bosses try to get them deported, blackballed from the industry, and abuse them constantly, you're standing with them. I'm not saying you gotta be out in the streets or saying anything big, but just a little understanding would be nice? A few year later now I see people collaborating with them on beers, talking them up on social media, getting involved in events with them, etc. Plenty of people in the industry and outside of it bought his bullshit story or didn't really care. I get I'm not a big deal or whatever but fuckin' hell it stings to just get thrown out like that. The guy's hired a new foreign guy. I want to warn him, but I probably won't bother because I'm sure of how he'll react. I just get tired of the bullshit "community" talk surrounding craft beer. It's just another industry full of wealthy shitheads who use and abuse their employees for their knowledge and skills, underpay and overwork them, then toss them aside when they dare to stand up for themselves and few people in the industry are going to call it out even slightly because they want to make sure they're still hirable. Fans of the industry don't care. They just want the new cool beer. Especially if it has a cool label and is filled with lactose, coconut, fruits, vanilla, etc. I was complaining about my last job where the place I was working was oftentimes run dangerously, but also poorly, with rushed production, and all kinds of other issues. I tried to explain how to improve to the owner over and over. When I complained about it I was told I need to "communicate better" and "teach him". When he yelled at me for half an hour over a minor mistake everyone just went "Well. You did make a mistake, right?". This "community" will trip over themselves defending lovely loving owners and bosses just like in every other industry. Now I think people see me as "unreliable" because of the last place I left, and the circumstances under which I left before that. It can never be the owners' fault though! If someone quits quickly, they're flaky! If the owner yells at you they're just "under a lot of stress", "passionate", "trying to get the best out of you", etc. gently caress. THAT. Unfortunately, that seems to make me less and less hirable by "beer" people. Or that's what it seems like.

These are just my personal experiences. But also, people have already moved on from the whole metoo thing that happened over the summer. Hill Farmstead is still #swag and everyone's still clamoring for Tired Hands, Mikkeller, Brewdog, etc. They're too desirable and rare to have any moral dilemmas over! Gotta get those white whales!

I still know people in the industry I can talk with but by and large, I don't know. It just sucks. I know it's a lot of words and a lot of rambling but gently caress a job and gently caress craft beer.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 8, 2021

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

NumptyScrub

I am in a good position in that I work in the UK (subject to UK employment laws) even though my team, and the org's main tech department, is US based. This gives me far more job security than my team, and I've used that before to put their concerns forward as my own, or take the heat for something, as it is not going to be immediately career ending if I do it. I am not gonna lie, I think if I ended up in a situation where I was actually covered by US / JPN laws and under an abusive boss, I'd either be a total wreck, or I'd last mere hours before telling them exactly what they are doing wrong / how terrible they are and getting fired.

EFN you have my deepest sympathies having to deal with that absolute shitbag of an ex-boss, as does anyone else in a similar situation. :sympathy:

gently caress them and gently caress their stupid jobs

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Might acquire a soap manufactory this week, dunno.

more falafel please

forums poster

Cardi BYOB posted:

is this the big moves? that's exciting

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

NumptyScrub

Cardi BYOB posted:

Switch everything to REST or SCIM as soon as you can :dadjoke:

xcheopis

Few things warm the black void that is my heart more than being able to write a snarky email to the finance team because they hosed up on paying an invoice. Ahhhhh, yeah. That's the stuff.

edit: i can with the words and such like good

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 9, 2021

Finger Prince

Hey ho night shift fuckin sucks.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
everything is chaos and when one of my two coworkers try to do any little thing they're usually so high strung and freaky about it that whatever thing they're dealing with is now A THING and the energy required to try and keep everybody straight while also being fairly new and training another new person and trying to keep them from running for the hills is a lot of loving work. Lol. Or even when the grounds crew manager jumps in and tries to help here and there, the way he does stuff is soooo different that it's really just frustrating and I would have been better off doing it myself, which I'm essentially doing with everything already anyway

Fuckajobbbb

Escape From Noise

Achtane posted:

Fuckajobbbb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atmYbK2zf0w

xcheopis

There was a memorial service yesterday for Wilma Chan, a member of Alameda County's Board of Supervisors who was a staunch ally in the battle to provide services for the homeless (among many other great things she did for her district). Here's to hoping her successor is able to follow suit.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

is this the big moves? that's exciting

One of em!

NumptyScrub posted:

Switch everything to REST or SCIM as soon as you can :dadjoke:

Damb you!!!! Also I hate SOAP but netsuite :negative:

xcheopis posted:

There was a memorial service yesterday for Wilma Chan, a member of Alameda County's Board of Supervisors who was a staunch ally in the battle to provide services for the homeless (among many other great things she did for her district). Here's to hoping her successor is able to follow suit.

Wilma was a treasure and her memory is a blessing. Fingers crossed. Let me know if I can help with anything, you know Alameda County lives in my heart.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i don't gotta soap
I make money move

cruft

Someone else is quitting. I might cry.

Y'all's managers suck, and I think I don't suck because people are always like offering to do whatever they can to help keep things going in their leave, but I'm like 2 out of 52 weeks for these folks, so me being a cool guy isn't enough to make up for the other 50. I'm glad they're chasing their dreams but I don't know what I'm going to do now with an entire class's staff gone.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
man I think I just needed some sleep and weed and food and knowing that there's hopefully only one more week of hell town to go

idiotsavant
work is dumb

bosses are dumb

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gently caress

A DAMB

JOB

xcheopis

I base my passwords on user names from here and elsewhere, which is an excellent strategy because even I have trouble remembering them.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

I base my passwords on user names from here and elsewhere, which is an excellent strategy because even I have trouble remembering them.

You should use a password manager that includes a tool to generate passwords for you! Then you don't have to remember hundreds of passwords, you can just remember the one to the password manager, and it can store (and generate) really strong passwords for you.

I am a computer security professional and I will encourage other computer dweebs to chime in because this is standard advice these days and we need to spread the gospel!

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you already have a password manager built-in that's loads better than not using one at all :)

xcheopis

cruft posted:

You should use a password manager that includes a tool to generate passwords for you! Then you don't have to remember hundreds of passwords, you can just remember the one to the password manager, and it can store (and generate) really strong passwords for you.

I am a computer security professional and I will encourage other computer dweebs to chime in because this is standard advice these days and we need to spread the gospel!

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you already have a password manager built-in that's loads better than not using one at all :)

I don't trust 'em! :mad:

cruft

Every year I give my team cookies from this local company. Happy holidays! 🎄

NumptyScrub

xcheopis posted:

I don't trust 'em! :mad:

I use KeePass both at work and home. It has builds or ports for Windows, MacOSX, Linux and a slew of mobile operating systems, stores databases locally (not in the cloud), and has plenty of options for password generation.

Much like you I was initially sceptical, as a password safe is also a perfect opportunity for a trojan, however being open source does help alleviate a lot of the anxiety as you can literally check the code yourself before you personally compile it. I had it recommended to me by our internal cyber-security team at work, so either they are absolutely terrible at their job, or it is one of the legit options available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

I use KeePass both at work and home.

I mispronounced this one during a big talk once. Oops.