Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

hopefully after safety updates

lol good luck with that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol good luck with that tbh

Well, to be fair most of the required safety updates were "Make sure your backup systems are not at flood level"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Kishida? I heard the new PM was gonna be someone else

https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1443337231700094978

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

When asked about her thoughts on Japan's birth-rate and aging population issues, PM Spears remarked that she understands Japanese youth's reluctance to start families, and how their lonliness is killing them, but she must confess she thinks they still believe.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

She'd probably do a better job.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

When asked about her thoughts on Japan's birth-rate and aging population issues, PM Spears remarked that she understands Japanese youth's reluctance to start families, and how their lonliness is killing them, but she must confess she thinks they still believe.

Made me literally laugh out loud

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

would naturalize to vote for candidates in ms. spears's work bitch party

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The New Prime Minister of Japan is a big Demon Slayer Fan. He wants to boost the incomes of workers in the manga/anime industry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is not a bad thing, I have a couple artists friends in Japan and the pay for manga and anime artists is poo poo.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

snap election snap analysis: top ruling party LDP and top opposition party both lost seats, with the populist center-right Japan Innovation Party (日本維新の会) picking up, at least numbers-wise, those seats. my dumbass impression: the coordination between opposition parties that weren't JIP had an effect, but part of that effect was pushing a bunch of JIP candidates over the top instead of theirs.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Mr. Fix It posted:

snap election snap analysis: top ruling party LDP and top opposition party both lost seats, with the populist center-right Japan Innovation Party (日本維新の会) picking up, at least numbers-wise, those seats.

Are we going to get a Japanese Macron in a couple years?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nikkei has an article up

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Japan-election/Japan-s-ruling-LDP-secures-sole-majority-in-lower-house-election

It's supposed to be good for the new PM because nobody likes or something and everyone expected the party to underperform and the opposition to pick up more seats. Or so I keep reading.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sanguinia posted:

They already do frequently if you're typing in proper rōmaji.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Grand Fromage posted:

They already do frequently if you're typing in proper rōmaji.

I understood this reference

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for PM Mac Akasaka

EDIT: Oh no he got milkshake ducked

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CDP would probably have gotten completely destroyed without coordination. My takeaway is that having the party still be run by dinosaurs like Ozawa, Kan and Edano himself, who have been rejected by voters now multiple times, is probably a bad idea. Well, in another electoral cycle many of them will be retired/retiring finally. Better luck in 4 years I guess

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sanguinia posted:

i would doubt that. i don't get the impression that the leader of the JIP has broad popularity. the electoral system basically guarantees that LDP will be the largest party and have a majority on its own unless a whole lot of stuff goes wrong for them. i think the LDP can only lose power if you get at least 3 or 4 of the following all at once:

1. really big scandal with smoking guns incriminating major party figures
2. major economic recession
3. a major defector or large group of lesser defectors establishing a separate power base
4. a poorly timed election (upper or lower house)
5. komeito leaves the coalition

i think 4 is required, the opposition never maintains momentum. 5 is something that has intrigued me since the professor in a survey course on modern japan i took way back in the mid 00s brought it up. at the time, there was a thought that if the komeito switched to backing DPJ that the shift in SMD seats (soka gakkai folks voting for the local opposition candidate instead of LDP) would put DPJ over the top. i don't think the shift would be big enough to topple the LDP on its own now, but it would have an impact. far right folks hate soka gakkai and are always saying that the LDP should kick them out of coalition and komeito is not the most natural coalition partner ideologically, so it's not a completely insane thing to imagine.

i don't anticipate any major LDP figures to try to defect, since Koike destroyed her chances at national power by gambling on that in the previous election.

tl;dr: Benghazi LDP ain't going away

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: at anyone who ever doubted that the LDP would easily win another majority as it basically always has. After all the average voter wouldn't want to step on any toes or possibly offend anybody by voting for another party or something that isn't the status quo. Perish the thought.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Why is the electoral system such that a party that consistently gets just over a third of the votes consistently wields unchallenged power?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
First-past-the-post is garbage everywhere.

Kale
May 14, 2010

My issue is more that this whole shying away from talking about politics or willing to be critical of the status quo and just kind of going along with it to avoid potential conflict is more or less incompatible with participatory democracy and all but the entirety of the reason that Japan is a single party system that just happens to hold elections. Like they do seem to be free and fair, just not even close to enough people seem interested in voting for anybody other than the LDP such that any other party will ever hold power ever again other than that one time.

It wouldn't be so bad if the current state of that party wasn't stuffed full of Nippon Kaigi right wing nationalist shitheads in the major cabinet positions rather than some of the moderates they count among their members. Not even close to everybody in Japan is onboard with Nippon Kaigi, but I mean they keep voting for this party and then that party gets to appoint it's people and therein lies the hustle of how they get to wield outsized influence despite having some really unpopular ideas and Japan ends up with three Prime Minsters within a year.

Like seriously gently caress Nippon Kaigi. Their politicians seem to care more about visiting that war crime shrine, saber rattling with China and Korea over basically nothing, and oppressing women and LGBT groups over some vague sense of nationalism than just about anything else let alone solving Japan's actual problems. Abenomics is a sham, their drive to revise the constitution failed to garner the necessary popular support in order to do so during Abe's appalling long term and is also a sham. Suga was like the worst most unpopular PM they've probably ever had in the history of the country by a long shot in his barely a year in charge and just seemed like a complete incompetent rear end in a top hat with a big mouth and no political or people skills to speak of. He was just some ghoul whip type figure under Abe that only got the job cause he was hand picked by him basically. The current guy Kishida while stated to be more mild mannered and open to compromise is expected to just get pushed around by the Nippon Kaigi hardliners and one of his first policy statements was of course about the stupid Yasukani shrine thing that I swear only Nippon Kaigi people even remotely care about as something important to consider.

Like there's really very little reason for Nippon Kaigi to exist let alone being in the drivers seat of Japan's government at this point for how much damage they've managed to do especially under Suga's brief tenure and how much all of their policy pushes and drives have failed miserably.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 1, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not hugely relevant to most people here, but a big fat BOO to the Japanese Government's Omicron-COVID response. Or at least to the way they rolled it out.

Monday - They say they are banning foreigners, or at least going back to the old set of foreigner restrictions. This is terrible news for me, as I am scheduled to arrive in Japan on the 20th. And already have my ticket bought and my Visa in my passport. I get an email from the company saying that it's sad that they have heard the news about the foreigner ban and are going to get clarification.

Tuesday - I ring the Japanese consulate in Melbourne to ask what is going on re: my Visa and if I am allowed to arrive. The woman at the consulate says she thinks I will be right with my Visa, (I have an Instructor exemption which allows me in under the old rules), but will ring her bosses to check and get back to me. Later in the day she does get back to me and says that she has checked with her bosses, and all is well. My exemption still works, and I should be right to come to Japan to start work in a few weeks. I also get an email from the company saying they have checked with the Ministry of Justice that says the same thing. YAY!

Thursday - I get another email from the company saying that the Ministry has re-clarified and that there is a blanket ban on foreign entries from Dec 2-31. Whoops, sorry so you won't be coming after all. And as this ban may be extended, we don't know when you can arrive. Hooray.

Even if it may seem a little harsh and panicky, I can understand the Japanese Government closing their borders over a new strain of COVID. It sucks for me, but these are part of the realities of living in Pandemic times. Also, considering I got this job in September of last year, and was initially supposed to arrive in March this year, what's waiting one more month?

But the No-Yes-No to my arrival within the space of a week is truly lovely. I also half expect another change before Christmas. It's frustrating, it's annoying, and I can't do a drat thing about it.

Sorry about the rant.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today the Governor of Tokyo has announced she will make same-sex partnerships legal in the city starting April 2022

:toot:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 9, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How is the BACK TO THE OFFICE culture in Japan now? Is remote work a thing at all, or was it ever a thing since the start of the pandemic?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
People are going back in, the trains are going back to the usual morning sardines-in-can. A lot of places did work from home, thankfully. The school I work at had online classes for a few stretches when there were SoEs declared. You could work from home if you didn’t need to physically be there for some reason.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

*she

Mercury_Storm posted:

How is the BACK TO THE OFFICE culture in Japan now? Is remote work a thing at all, or was it ever a thing since the start of the pandemic?

My company is trying to get us into the office two days out of the week. They also have very strong fears of people traveling during the holidays and the borders snapping shut on them.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't know how much remote work existed here before the pandemic but it definitely exists now.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
One place I work for managed to successfully shift most of their staff to remote work after realizing how much they were saving on office rentals.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

noted piece of poo poo, Shintaro Ishihara, has died

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/shintaro-ishihara-japanese-politician-who-set-off-row-with-china-dies-89-nhk-2022-02-01/

rest in piss

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Banzai

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes, good

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
So politics in Japan has become that uninspiring and uninteresting, huh

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Weatherman posted:

So politics in Japan has become that uninspiring and uninteresting, huh
You mean the LDP gaining more seats in the senate?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Assuming that it's been six months since the last post.

Anyway, election next week, huh?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Yen is going to the toilet. That's something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Anyway, election next week, huh?

The only insight or observation I can think of is if the LDP maintains control, the tourist doors might get kicked open not too long after. Whether that’s truly good or not I don’t know. Bit of both, honestly.

stephenthinkpad posted:

And everything’s getting more expensive. Almost every night on the news is an announcement that a company is raising prices for the first time in three emperors’ reigns from October. It’s not great!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Grouchio posted:

You mean the LDP gaining more seats in the senate?

no

Rochallor posted:

Assuming that it's been six months since the last post.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

Supply-side inflation? Something else?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Grouchio posted:

Supply-side inflation? Something else?

the bank of japan is pointedly avoiding raising interest rates, which is out of step with most other central banks around the world. they're continuing their years long desperate quest to force an increase in consumption in the face of stagnant population growth

other currencies are now more attractive as short-term investments due to better interest rates, so people sell yen to buy dollars and euros. this weakens the yen, which makes imports into japan more expensive and exports less expensive

this is just what i've picked up as an american who occasionally reads bad articles in the economist. there's probably a bunch of things going on that i have no idea about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Abe got shot, so what (does this mean for the election)? 

https://www.iwate-np.co.jp/article/kyodo/2022/7/8/911597

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 8, 2022