Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax (all companions, equipment, titles)

Dusted off my old save to find out how close I was to unlocking everything and I had forgotten what a blast this game is. XBLA ftw. Last level was a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Athena
everything about this game is bad. here are some :words: about why, if you are curious. first of all, it's ugly as all hell. look at this:

all the enemies have indiscernible hit boxes. the game expects you to use certain weapons at certain times, but for the most part, the only way to get weapons is by breaking random blocks (if your current weapon will break them) or by getting them via a random drop from enemies. the majority of drops are actually DOWNGRADES. some drops poison you, which just slowly make your health tick down until you die. if you follow the wrong path in a level, it just drops you back at the beginning with no explanation. there's a weird mechanic where your first jump supposedly is a small hop and the next two are bigger jumps, but in practice what it means is that every once in awhile you try to jump and it's a dud. there are places where swarms of enemies spawn from both sides of the screen while you're trying to cut through blocks, and they drop downgrades that make you unable to break blocks, trapping you until you die. the only way to not collect a downgrade is to wait for it to disappear. in one stage, the solution is apparently to find a magic lamp and a magic harp and then go to the end of the level. the level also has a decoy lamp and a decoy harp. there is nothing in the game to explain this. i still don't know what most of the power ups do. the most explanation you ever get is this status screen:

inexplicably, you can not access the status screen in the last level. all of the challenge in the boss fights is figuring out what parts of the giant, bad sprites can hit you and which part of them you can hit, then awkwardly jumping to that one spot that you can hit. most of them die to a single blow. the final boss is ludicrous. it has six different pieces you have to destroy. the last three pieces are floating heads that you have to hit for like five minutes. it's hard to tell how many hits they have because there is no indicator that you've hit them. they don't flash or react or make a sound, you just flail around for five minutes and eventually one of them dies, then the other two. when you beat the boss, the screen flashes and the game abruptly switches to this screen, which i guess is the ending?

i'm 53 games in and this is the worst one so far. next up: elevator action, then legend of kage. by my rough count, there are 89 games until castlevania 2.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ok but did you listen to the song

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The lack of any reasonable feedback on hitboxes in the NES version makes it basically unplayable. I don't think I ever made it further than world 3.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm sad that you had to suffer through this apparent piece of poo poo but reading about dumbshit game design sustains me so thank you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Elevator Action
this appears to just keep going forever so it's one of those there's no real way to "beat" exactly. i got through three of the buildings. it seems like it would be a cool arcade game but the port isn't so great.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

welcome posted:

Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax (all companions, equipment, titles)

Dusted off my old save to find out how close I was to unlocking everything and I had forgotten what a blast this game is. XBLA ftw. Last level was a pain.

that game kicks rear end for sure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

probably last one for today: The Legend of Kage
weird game. i kind of liked it for some reason, but it was insanely easy and short compared to most of early NES games. kind of shallow. maybe the arcade version is harder? i think it was just too early to do what they were trying to do, which seems to be subvert expectations as to how this kind of game works. your dude can jump insanely high and has a mostly useless melee attack and an infinite number of shurikens to throw. most enemies die to a single hit (except for some fireball throwing wizard ninjas). the bad ninjas kidnap a princess and you have to fight through five stages to rescue her: the first stage scrolls really high (you can jump like a screen and a half, it's insane), but you have to move... to the left to win! spooky!! once you reach the end, you have to wait awhile and then some tiny animal thing appears - you touch it to advance. this is probably some japanese cultural thing that i don't understand. stage 2 is claustrophobic: you can duck into a pool where you can't use your projectiles but the enemies can't use theirs, and you can jump out but are then vulnerable. you kill 10 to move on. stage 3 you basically just jump, lol. like, the ninjas try to get you but they don't have the super jump? so you just climb to the top, effortlessly. stage 4 feels like a super easy version of Kung Fu - you climb up some stairs in a tower. at the top, you cut the princess free and then face the boss.

here's where it gets weird. at first i thought my game was glitched. you can't actually hit the boss - there's a butterfly flying around and you have to hit it a couple of times until it dies, then the boss becomes vulnerable (and dies to a single blow). when you beat the boss, the game starts over, but the season has changed. it's just a cosmetic difference until the boss stage - the boss is different in every season. this feels like a weird choice, since the strategy is the same (attack the butterfly) and because you can climb and jump really high, avoiding the boss is the same no matter what boss it is. i don't remember what the second guys looked like or what they did because i just climbed up some trees and killed butterflies. maybe i miscounted, but i think they only go through three seasons before they give you a "you beat the game" message and start over. the whole thing feels kind of artsy, but those kinds of gimmicks don't make sense for an ancient arcade game IMO.

e: i guess i should say: it looks really good, even on console. it's pretty. also the next two games i have already beaten but i'm gonna play through 'em anyway, since it's been awhile: Metroid and The Legend of Zelda

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 8, 2021

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i'm 53 games in and this is the worst one so far. next up: elevator action, then legend of kage. by my rough count, there are 89 games until castlevania 2.

is this alphabetic? i forgot your plan for this

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its clearly release order

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

trying to jack off posted:

athena -> elevator action is also in alphabetical order

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

restart and play all the famicom games in release order since you're missing out on hidden gems like super chinese, atlantis no nazo, 40 other terrible jp only sunsoft games they made between 1983 and 1986, super monkey daibouken, etc

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

edit: i forgot super chinese got released in the us as chinese hero. pardon. double edit: forgot to hit edit instead of post.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

elf help book posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought he was just doing black box games.

Also I thought very few games from that era had actual release dates.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Everybody should play Atlantis no Nazo.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

why don't they make the whole backlog out of the black box.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. No More Heroes (Mild, True Ending, All T-Shirts)
2. Abe's Oddysee New n' Tasty (Hard Mode all 299 Mudokons saved):
3. Return of the Obra-Dinn
4. Dark Souls Remastered (Platinum Trophy):
5. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin NG+:
6. Sekiro: Shadow Dies Twice:
7. Dark Souls 3 (Platinum):
8. Demon's Souls Remaster (Platinum):
9. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle:
10. Bloodborne (Platinum): Took me a while to get into so I dropped it originally after getting super burn out on Fromsoft stuff. This time I still took a while to click but around the time I was clearing out the Hypogean Gaol on your return there I loved it. My favourite soulsbourne over all because the combat is so fast and slick and smooth and the weapon choices are so good and trick weapons rule. I think it's just a bit better than 3 though because it's enemies were never that varied or interesting and it has th weakest bosses in the series bar Demon Souls excluding the dlc bosses which are some solid to great fights. The whole dlc is great really and the first souls game where the actual content of the DLC is the best part of the game instead of just the bosses being standout. Can't wait to play it again in a year.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

yeah.

American McGay posted:

Also I thought very few games from that era had actual release dates.

what does this mean. at some point they hit the shelves.

i'm using this wikipedia page and just clicking the "sort by" on north american release date, so stuff that came out in the same month ends up getting sorted alphabetically, i think. when i notice things came out at the same time, sometimes i pick which one i want to play first, but i don't know a ton of them so i usually don't have a preference. i like doing it this way because it makes it easier to compare stuff to what was out at the time and to feel the evolution, but it's just a preference.

pretty sure i left metroid on pause so i'm going to get the scrub ending.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

lol i didn't spend a second thinking about what i was asking.

i'm fascinated by this project. are you taking any more notes than what you're posting? i design trends you'll see rise and fall

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

amazing, amazing

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s not really beaten (Listen bros. I’m beat to poo poo these days from manual labor and I’m old. The way I’ve been gaming, he’ll - I played this game for 12 hours and got to a place in it where I don’t know what to do and lately that’s as good as beating a game to me, especially an old rear end petrified turd like this. So lay off.) and I might return to it someday but,

Wasteland 1 (1986 orig.) The version I got on steam has some nice modernity improvements but it’s still like playing an old DOS game and has the ancient charm as well as admirable ambition in the gameplay that’s compelling even now. I went through a series of 4 or 5 menus to make my Player Use their Attribute of Strength to break open a rusting steel door and it was tedious but cool every time, especially if I had to press even more buttons to find a more cleverer way to blow the door out. Or whatever you might be dealing with and it’s surprisingly (to me, since I didn’t play Ultima style cRPGs in their time or much as an adult) reminiscent of the depth of a Divinity 2 today. The sense of humor isn’t that great (I think a fallout writer wrote it and it shows) though having played a little of the sequels it’s way less AIDS. Plus it has funny quaint RPG phrases like
You are approached by
2 Deranged Ranchers and
3 Deranged Ranchers and
2 Vicious Babies
      at 44 feet.

9/10

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

wasteland 1 was chill.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

They probably didn’t program nearly a quarter as many possibilities as the concept suggests but, I think their Use system is really neat not just cause it makes the possibilities possible, but being faced with something and having a choice of like 8 attributes, however many items you have, and whatever skills from a list of like 16 that your character has, makes it feel like you could have blown an opportunity a million times before when you finally discover it, but discovering it sometimes feels really secret and clever. So I like it. Obviously I guess any kind of way you put in a bunch of possibilities requires programming them if you want to have a structured CRPG environment lol… but I think this game did it quite epically.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I actually do want to come back at it with a bunch of gimmick builds and see what I can get up to. Love stuff like that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Picross S2 100% No Assist 72h56m

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also I don’t know why I think it’s nice really but when one of your created or original squad mates is fully dead (they go from UNC, SER, CRT, MRT, COM, to 💀, able to be healed by an appropriately skilled medic or Doctor Shop, until they are 💀. Also if they are merely UNC, they can regenerate HP (which actually can be so irritating in battles because of how it works that I might call this fact the absolute worst thing about the game lmao - you can be stuck fighting a herd of 8 Desert Lizards you stumbled into at the wrong time for 30 real life minutes (unless you reload like a bitch) having to slowly and excruciatingly hope one of your guys is fast enough this turn and lucky enough not to be damaged and re-UNCed and with enough power actually get off an attack that doesn’t miss and kills at least one of them. Then he will be UNCed by the next lizard’s attack and then you have to re enter the encounter with someone who just woke up and will probably be immediately killed or, worse, be the last one in the rotation and killed on the very last turn of the potentially something like 27 the lizards could have taken, uh I lost my train of thought since I’m on a phone. Anyway lmfao. The regenerating while UNC is really hosed up.)))) when you disband them it asks if you would like to bury them instead of Disband PERMANENTY?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

People you hire in the wild sometimes just flat out disobey you lol and poo poo so I guess it suits them to be handled more coldly.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Beat the Room 4. Wasn't as good as the 3rd game but all the Room games are pretty cool so it's still a good game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Man that’s something else really interesting about the medicine and medical statuses. Least to me. Is that if you are playing without like, reloading if one of your characters dies or whatever, I guess playing iron man /tyle which I feel is the intention from being able to always (if you survive the journey back) be able to refill your party with a new recruit that’s to your liking more or less. Usually if you will win a battle the worst that will happen to you is you have to hope the RNG is good to you with the UNC and recoveries. But if it’s possible for you to gently caress up or sometimes just from really bad luck, you might win but the monster will have damaged someone enough to make them SER, instead of UNC (or maybe target an UNC character and further damage it), which in time will progress to the ☠️. And then maybe they’ll keep you stuck in the fight long enough for the character to get outside of your medic’s skill level. Or they’ll put them there in one insane hit and you manage to land some lucky poo poo of your own and kill them. Then you have this drama of having to remember where the Doc is and how can I get there the safest and fastest and all these other choices you have to start making and it’s really stimulating and dramatic and - you know maybe reloading to avoid really tedious poo poo and pure bullshit or whatever is fine - but if you play it play it without being a little save scumming twerp all the drat time.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

American McGay posted:

Picross S2 100% No Assist 72h56m

howd you get your exact playtime. does the picross games say it somewhere

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah on the title screen and in each of the submenus it will show you the total time, although it may only appear after getting the No Assist badge for that mode.

e: also I'm guessing that's just the cumulative total of all your "record" times so if you did certain puzzles multiple times or had to quit a puzzle and start again none of that time would be reflected in that.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 9, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

i'm fascinated by this project. are you taking any more notes than what you're posting? i design trends you'll see rise and fall

not taking a ton of notes, I feel like I'll remember whatever I have to. been trying to take screenshots when I see something funny but this is mostly just for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Beat the Room 4. Wasn't as good as the 3rd game but all the Room games are pretty cool so it's still a good game.

Haha what a story mark. Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

I liked the structure of going back and forth between the different puzzle rooms but it felt like there was a bunch more "ah, look underneath *this* secret drawer" than 3.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Tyranny. Nice little western rpg with a fun cast and more interesting choices than answer question/punch reporter. Combat is pretty easy but I’m easily confused by these kinds of games still so it’s a better intro to the genre than pillars of eternity was for me.

Feel like it falls into the trap that a lot of dialogue heavy rpgs have where the climax is kind of underwhelming compared to the rest of the story because you’ve already done everything and essentially become an unstoppable monster. Some really inscrutable dialogue choices had me wanting to quick load towards the end, but it’s short enough I’ll probably play again.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

20) Bowser's Fury (100 Cat Shines)

Fun but Bowser is pretty annoying.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

Tyranny. Nice little western rpg with a fun cast and more interesting choices than answer question/punch reporter. Combat is pretty easy but I’m easily confused by these kinds of games still so it’s a better intro to the genre than pillars of eternity was for me.

Feel like it falls into the trap that a lot of dialogue heavy rpgs have where the climax is kind of underwhelming compared to the rest of the story because you’ve already done everything and essentially become an unstoppable monster. Some really inscrutable dialogue choices had me wanting to quick load towards the end, but it’s short enough I’ll probably play again.

nice, excited to try this out on my christmas break, prolly be my last 2021 game so a short runtime is good for me right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Mike Tyson is one of the hardest video game bosses I've ever faced. It felt like I was up against the physical limits of how fast my nerves could transmit my reflexes. Overall, the game's stamina management around blocking, combat system based on timed dodges and counterattacks, punishing difficulty, and perfect parries giving you access to a powerful unblockable attack remind me of Dark Souls