Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cacafuego posted:

I’m currently working a contract job for a vendor (V1) of a pharma company (P1). I had gotten a direct hire offer from another pharma company (P2) and I started this week.

I resigned my position with V1 stating that I got a direct hire P2 without naming them. V1 called back asking whether I’d want to work for P1.

My first thought is no, I don’t want to be a nuisance because I forced their hand. However, there’s no harm in telling them they need to provide a lot more $, plus signing bonus, correct? I believe the direct hire benefits would be nearly identical at either pharma company.

The only other thing is that the work for P1 would be mostly in Florida and P2 would be mostly southeastern region and I would prefer that over just Florida. I also like the opportunities and pipeline of P2 more.

If I forced P1 to up their timeframe and take me, would that be a black mark on my record?

Based on your post, why would you want to work for P1? Unless they're offering way more than P2 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats the reason you don't want to work for P2? i don't seen any resason in there

Sorry, maybe I hosed that up - I would rather work for P2 than P1.

Hadlock posted:

I would tell V1/P1 you'll tentatively accept their offer, pending salary negotiations. Normally I'd say you already burnt that bridge don't go there, but as a direct hire for P1 you're in a very good position to pick up a principal pharma guru title and paycheck to go along with it, especially if you're critical to their success of some multi billion dollar pharma project

If the offer is too low just walk and see what happens, sounds like you have substantial leverage here

Can try this and see what happens. I was just worried about being “that guy” that forced them into buying out my contract sooner. In the hiring process, V1 was very clear to say that there were no guarantees of getting hired by P1. Also, I’m only a month into training at P1, so I haven’t done anything substantial yet there.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Based on your post, why would you want to work for P1? Unless they're offering way more than P2 or something.

Yeah, I must’ve hosed up my explanation (see above) - between both, I’d rather work for P2.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I still don't quite understand the situation, but if your main aim is to get more money, interview for whichever the other one is and see where you get.

It sounds like you have already started at the better company though.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I still don't quite understand the situation, but if your main aim is to get more money, interview for whichever the other one is and see where you get.

It sounds like you have already started at the better company though.

Yeah, my bad, I didn’t explain it well. Basically, I like everything about P2 more and would prefer to work there, but if P1 countered with enough of a premium on top of P2’s offer and the money was enticing enough, would I be on P1’s shitlist because I forced their hand early?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes.

You'll have to decide what is and isn't worth it.

e: assuming I'm understanding the scenario correctly, which I admit I am still not confident of.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't think so, you're a contractor and they should very much understand the volatility of those positions. If they think you're worth retaining then they'll make an offer, and it seems like it would take Texa$ money for you to accept so ask for it. Otherwise you have an offer for the position you actually want so you're in a really good position.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

it would take Texa$ money

Yeah I mean worst case scenario you say no, and your old boss looks good for trying to retain you

Best case scenario you buy a much bigger house and a sports car that used to hang as a poster on your wall as a kid

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
assuming P2 offer is good I'd probably just move on over to P2

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

From reddit AITA. Why you should never take a counteroffer, as told by the rear end in a top hat in charge.

AITA for not promoting a long time employee?

quote:

Greetings r/AITA, I've run into a recent dilemma with regards to my business. I, (57, M) own a private equity firm. We're no Warburg, but we're pretty well off. Some background: For the past 20 or so years, I've had a trusted second in command, let's call him M, who recently retired, which created a vacancy in the company. Technically, the next highest ranking person is a senior executive, let's call him J(M, 51). He's been with the company for around 12 years, and I hadn't have any issues with him prior to March of this year.

The office had been experiencing financial instability, and J had been exploring openings in other companies. I didn't hold it against him, especially since he was so open and honest about the offers he received from other firms(many of which paid better than his current salary). After some negotiations, we were able to decide on a raise for him and get him to stay with the firm.

Fast forward to 1 week ago, when M's retirement became official. Since March, circumstance had changed, largely due to the graduation of my son, B(25, M). He had graduated from a VERY prestigious university, and joined our firm soon after graduation. I had been seriously impressed by his work thus far, and that is where the problem arose. After careful contemplation, I decided to give the vacant position to B. This action was purely for the wellbeing of the company. Our success over the years has been largely through passing the company down from father to son, which is how I got my start in the firm. It was only right for me to continue this tradition and set up our future for years to come. When I revealed this to the rest of the company in our weekly meeting, the announcement went smoothly. Everyone took the news well and congratulated B.

However, I could tell J was upset by the news, even though he was trying to hide it. My suspicions were confirmed when, after the meeting, he told me he felt betrayed and shocked by what he called the "sudden promotion of B". The promotion was anything but sudden in my eyes, as I felt B had earned it. Though he didn't say it outright, J told me he felt he was owed the promotion, especially after I "guaranteed the spot to him in March". While I did mention the possibility of mobility in the company, I feel like this is disingenuous on his part, as he is twisting my words to make it seem like I'm breaking some imaginary promise. I can understand where he's coming from, but this is simply not the way to go about it. He said I was being underhanded by lying to him about his promotion. I have asked for the opinion of the other executives, all of whom agreed with me that I was not being unreasonable.

If anything, I am more confident in my decision after this meeting with J. I was already suspicious of his actions in March, but I never brought it up out of respect for his time spent with the firm. But now, I feel as if he violated that respect by trivializing my son's accomplishments and accusing me of being a liar.

AITA?
It's reddit, so it's probably fake. But it's a good parable.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Nepotism

Lol

“Nepotism” posted:

I've said it before in my replies, but I value integrity and trust over all. Not only is B my son, but I feel like the trust I had with J was damaged by his open attempts to look for other jobs while still with our firm. I know J's time with the company is significant, but I really feel like the events in March have hurt my trust in J, which is something I just can't allow for my 2nd in command.

Lmao

”Nepotism” posted:

I didn't hold it against him at the time, but combined with his recent behavior, it's clear to me that he was more concerned with his position and salary than genuinely helping the company.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yes, but against all that you have to balance the fact that his 25 year old son graduated from a VERY prestigious university.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Honestly, that sounds a lot more like a guy trying to justify nepotism than someone getting passed over for promotion because he was looking for other work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like "experiencing financial instability"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's blatantly him trying to blame everyone else for not appreciating nepotism.

Kind of wonder if asking him if he thinks maybe his lovely decidion here was guided by him getting handed the company in similarly unqualified circumstances would result in an entertaining response.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
So I've been trying to get an offer out of a company for a few days now. When I spoke to the hiring manager and their boss they told me that an offer had already been approved and they weren't sure why it had not already been sent to me. Since then the HR person spent days trying to get me to provide compensation expectation. I finally sent HR this:

Sent to HR posted:

My understanding from (Hiring Manager) and (Boss of Hiring Manager) is that the offer is already approved, so it isn't clear to me what this number will be used for. Can you please provide (company's) expectations so I get an idea what you're talking about.
and I received the following response,

HR posted:

Hi Boot and Rally – (Hiring Manager) and I are working to put an offer together so we can then obtain the approvals. If you do not wish to share your expectation, that’s okay. It’s in the candidate’s best interest that we ask for a comp expectation so we can then work to meet/exceed the expectation. We will respectfully proceed without this information.

I can't help but think that "respectfully" is not a good sign. I'm not broken up about it, but it is odd. Certainly not going to list a number now. Keep in mind they have not discussed benefits at all.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Boot and Rally posted:

I can't help but think that "respectfully" is not a good sign. I'm not broken up about it, but it is odd. Certainly not going to list a number now. Keep in mind they have not discussed benefits at all.

HR people are sometimes just jackwagons. Last time I changed jobs, this frigging lady I was never going to personally interact with after that moment absolutely insisted that I start the first possible Wednesday instead of the following Monday. Still have not idea why it mattered so much to her; it wasn't a different month or anything.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Magnetic North posted:

Last time I changed jobs, this frigging lady I was never going to personally interact with after that moment absolutely insisted that I start the first possible Wednesday instead of the following Monday. Still have not idea why it mattered so much to her; it wasn't a different month or anything.
This one is easy - always be closing. Deals fall apart and vacant positions get axed. If her metric was hires made, then she would do everything she could to close hiring deals as quick as possible.

Over the years, I've lost one or two hires due to an exec slowing the process down and then eliminating the position. And seen several more.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The HR goon is back in touch, I need to actually apply for the job in Workday (spit) and they also want evidence for my signing bonus:

quote:

Our Total Rewards team is currently working on an offer proposal for you.

If you want them to compensate for loss of bonus and RSUs we are kindly asking you to share the information (documents, screenshots) with them. So our colleagues can calculate the correct amounts accordingly.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly in case of questions.

Kind regards

I guess I should just send the redacted documents. I kinda feel like just saying "sorry, $X is the price"

Or maybe I should go with "let's see the salary offer first and we can discuss my signing bonus after that"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would definitely tell them, professionally but firmly, no I am not sharing those documents, $X is the price, and if they walk they walk. gently caress that attitude.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

knox_harrington posted:

The HR goon is back in touch

I was wondering how you knew they were on the forums, and then…oh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

knox_harrington posted:

The HR goon is back in touch, I need to actually apply for the job in Workday (spit) and they also want evidence for my signing bonus:

I guess I should just send the redacted documents. I kinda feel like just saying "sorry, $X is the price"

Or maybe I should go with "let's see the salary offer first and we can discuss my signing bonus after that"

I am not clear, CAN you redact the paperwork to the point where your current salary is obscured? If so, then that is probably the best bet. They are offering a signing bonus to cover RSUs, needing an actual number on that doesn't strike me as unreasonable and pushing back on them makes would make me think the candidate might be bluffing about the RSUs, which isn't a good look.

Alternatively you can say "I can provide the information but I'd like to negotiate salary before sharing my full financial history", but I think I'd do one of those two rather than telling them "I have an RSU number but I am firmly telling you I cannot produce any proof of that", which might come across as dodgy and sink your offer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I respect the hell out of you Lockback, and am happy to acknowledge that your advice is more practically sound than mine.

Demanding I (as the applicant) give you my financial documentation to prove I'm not a liar isn't a great way to start off our relationship, either. And in the realm of "it makes me think...", it makes me think you (as the hiring company) are trying to coax as much of my current compensation info out of me as you can before giving me an offer.

It would be a lot more palatable if the company were at least to say "here's the salary we're offering, and as for the RSUs please verify and we're willing to offer a commensurate bonus up to $X with verification" rather than demanding the latter before giving the former.

But I suppose that if you say "I need $X because Y" instead of just saying "I need $X" you have to expect to be challenged to prove it, and RSUs are a pretty specific case.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 11, 2021

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

knox_harrington posted:

Or maybe I should go with “let’s see the salary offer first and we can discuss my signing bonus after that”

I think you’re probably going to end up having to produce the document if you want them to pay an outsized signing bonus, but unless I’m missing something here you should definitely do this first.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

As the (I think) resident HR goon, I haven't dealt with that type of compensation, but I do think it's fair to ask for some type of proof as to what you want covered so we can make this hire work. Salary wise, of course that should be worked out first and gently caress off if you want insight into that prior to an offer. Tell them to work out the base pay first and then you'll go with the rest maybe?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

But I suppose that if you say "I need $X because Y" instead of just saying "I need $X" you have to expect to be challenged to prove it, and RSUs are a pretty specific case.

This is where I think they are. Of you are explicitly using your rsu's as a negotiating tactic I don't think it's ridiculous to want to confirm that, specifically because of the situation that's been presented. If they were looking for past salary info you can tell them off, but the fact that this is specific makes it a bit different.

Agreed that asking to get salary figured out first is much better and doesn't strike me as unprofessional at all to insist that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I guess I don't understand why on the one hand we would never disclose evidence of salary, but bonus and long term incentive (which are standard parts of compensation in this sector) are different.

Why is one taken on trust and one not? They are essentially saying "I don't believe you".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

knox_harrington posted:

I guess I don't understand why on the one hand we would never disclose evidence of salary, but bonus and long term incentive (which are standard parts of compensation in this sector) are different.

Why is one taken on trust and one not? They are essentially saying "I don't believe you".

Because companies have to pay a salary.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The difference here is k_h already disclosed the bonus/vestment, because it provided some leverage to do so. Now the company is asking for proof.

Another situation that might be similar is if you're making a move where salary isnt a motivator to move, say you are moving geographies and you feel like your previous salary is a good leverage point (I generally wouldn't suggest doing this, but its not a ridiculous scenario). In that case, if you push on a company to "pay me X because I know it's my market rate", you might need to show your salary to prove that. This negotiating by proving an assertion. Basically disclosing part/all of your comp as a leverage point means you might need to actually show what you disclosed.

Basically, I don't think it's out of line for them to want to see some proof of this before an offer, I wouldn't say it's a huge flag like I would if a company is insisting to see a pay stub before negotiating salary, because the disclosure was k_h's thing. I think either redacting other salary info (if possible) or politely asking to negotiate salary first is very reasonable. A firm "I won't show you anything but I still need the bonus" might make them back away from the bonus or even torpedo an offer here, which I don't see as a win, moral victory or no.

I am assuming k_h said something like "I need a 60k bonus to match my March bonus" and they are just looking for something that says "k_h is totally getting a 60k bonus". If there's more to it then that may change the situation.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The HR goon could also be asking for documentation to make her job easier and not because the person you're actually negotiating against is asking for it. That they're asking to apply via Workday supports this hypothesis.

If it makes you feel any better, you know you're close to their max number when they start doing poo poo like this. That information might be useful.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would put off the bonus specifics before you lock in salary to avoid them thinking “we’re already paying you a very high bonus therefore we can anchor a bit lower on salary”.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My reason for not wanting to share the bonus award and RSU schedule is to avoid giving any clue to salary at all*. When I provide the redacted documents they will inevitably have the bonus $ and RSU $ separately, and even if you can't really tell the salary from the bonus it sets limits on it, and they will try to interpret the amount.

So I agree the best course of action here is to shelve further discussion on the starting bonus until my salary is pinned down.

(Really, thanks all for the help and advice, it's super helpful to discuss different options)

*Well, that and I also think anti-employee HR practices like this can gently caress right off, but I don't want to chuck this offer away.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Boot and Rally posted:

So I've been trying to get an offer out of a company for a few days now. When I spoke to the hiring manager and their boss they told me that an offer had already been approved and they weren't sure why it had not already been sent to me. Since then the HR person spent days trying to get me to provide compensation expectation. I finally sent HR this:

Sent to HR posted:

My understanding from (Hiring Manager) and (Boss of Hiring Manager) is that the offer is already approved, so it isn't clear to me what this number will be used for. Can you please provide (company's) expectations so I get an idea what you're talking about.

and I received the following response,

HR posted:

Hi Boot and Rally – (Hiring Manager) and I are working to put an offer together so we can then obtain the approvals. If you do not wish to share your expectation, that’s okay. It’s in the candidate’s best interest that we ask for a comp expectation so we can then work to meet/exceed the expectation. We will respectfully proceed without this information.

So HR got back to me with an offer. It is ~10% raise including retirement and other stuff, less time off, it is customer facing (I don't do this now) and wouldn't be managing people (I currently only manage 1). It is a move to a much larger field. Maybe 10,000 times larger. My suspicion is I am basically stuck in my current job, so the new job has upsides. The goal is chances to actually advance, but this particular role is not an advance. I need to talk to the hiring manager directly about how advancing works. If I'm going to be stuck in that role (I approach things as promises are worth nothing) then a 33% raise and keeping my time off might do it.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 12, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would definitely put a huge premium on my price for any job that would be customer facing but that might just be me. Those words make me shudder. My brain reads "customer facing" as "basically enslaved to salespeople".

downout
Jul 6, 2009

How do companies get the stocks for RSUs? Buy stock or issue new ones?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

downout posted:

How do companies get the stocks for RSUs? Buy stock or issue new ones?

I’d think it’d be the former as the latter would make existing stockholders unhappy.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

So HR got back to me with an offer. It is ~10% raise including retirement and other stuff, less time off, it is customer facing (I don't do this now) and wouldn't be managing people (I currently only manage 1). It is a move to a much larger field. Maybe 10,000 times larger. My suspicion is I am basically stuck in my current job, so the new job has upsides. The goal is chances to actually advance, but this particular role is not an advance. I need to talk to the hiring manager directly about how advancing works. If I'm going to be stuck in that role (I approach things as promises are worth nothing) then a 33% raise and keeping my time off might do it.

This sounds awful and unless you have some strongly understated pros, this seems like a pass

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The HR goon is now being really pushy about getting my Workday application RIGHT NOW. HR is basically workplace cancer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My one-year jobiversary is coming up. Any advice on asking for a raise?

(Programmer, small city, company is in industry, very chill generally [my division's org structure is fairly flat] and appears to be interested in retaining me for a long period of time.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The HR goon is now being really pushy about getting my Workday application RIGHT NOW. HR is basically workplace cancer.

There's probably a deadline of Dec 15 to process all new Q1 people without special sign off

The HR goon has known about this cut off since Sept 30 but due to taking three hour lunches and leaving at 3:30 every day forgot about it until just now :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Quackles posted:

My one-year jobiversary is coming up. Any advice on asking for a raise?

(Programmer, small city, company is in industry, very chill generally [my division's org structure is fairly flat] and appears to be interested in retaining me for a long period of time.)

Wish I had some!

Everywhere I've worked, the annual raise was a metric'd-to-hell-and-back 2.5%-3.5% window, because gently caress you, that's why.

If they decided to adjust the salary-band window based on market analysis? Welp, first they'd apply your raise, THEN make the adjustment to your pay if you were outside the new band window. Naturally, this means that most of my raises so far in my career have been market adjustments; even in the best of times, my "merit" raise would have been a COL adjustment.

What I'm trying to say is good luck to you, and if something works out, definitely let us know! But try not to be too disappointed if there is not a good answer to be had :(