Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i don't think that was ever gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

god i love our media

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1468385883774726151

is there/is there going to be a full readout of the call or are we only getting the press briefing talking points

:stare:

Wholly Chao

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Rinkles posted:

Oh me neither but here we had more than a few people calling the troop movements a bluff because Putin wouldn't risk a shooting war with the US.

Well the US has made it publicly clear it won't get into a shooting war with Russia over Ukraine.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I look forward to the US losing its loving mind in 2085 when Mexico signs a military cooperation agreement with the PRC or some poo poo.
NO THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I look forward to the US losing its loving mind in 2085 when Mexico signs a military cooperation agreement with the PRC or some poo poo.
NO THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT.

no need for hypotheticals, the US literally glassed a tiny island in the 1980s because it wanted to be neutral in the cold war lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh me neither but here we had more than a few people calling the troop movements a bluff because Putin wouldn't risk a shooting war with the US.

Well the US has made it publicly clear it won't get into a shooting war with Russia over Ukraine.

Nor should we. The US has no treaty obligations to Ukraine, and in fact Ukraine attempting to be included in those treaty obligations is a major reason why they're about to be invaded.

SHOULD we militarily support Ukraine with boots on the ground? Sure, in principle, but any conflict between nuclear armed superpowers is a losing combination and frankly I don't feel like being incinerated in thermonuclear fire because we tried to defend Kyiv and sparked World War 3.

If a NATO member is attacked I'm going to be incinerated anyway, and it doesn't make much difference whether or not my incineration is because we have to fulfill Article 5 obligations or not. I'm still dead after all.

It goes back to the old question that de Gaulle brought up when pursuing French nuclear weaponry: will the US president trade New York for Paris? No, that can't be relied on, so we must secure our own defense through nuclear arms.

Ukraine gave theirs up for a vague promise of having their territorial integrity and borders respected, so if anything the lesson here is that any aspiring nuclear nation should never disarm or you'll get invaded and wish you hadn't.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 8, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not that this would shock anyone, but a former air traffic controller appears to confirm that the Ryanair plane forced landing was, indeed, an operation of Belarusian secret services.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/world/europe/belarus-poland-ryanair-plane-dissident.html

I don't know what info he could share, but it's definitely a real guy. At the time it was reported that right after the incident he took some time off to visit family in Georgia and wasn't available to comment, and then just disappeared. No Belarusian officials commented on his whereabouts again, so everyone thought he was in some KGB prison, but I guess he managed to make it to Poland.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1468206078940823554

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

Ukraine gave theirs up for a vague promise of having their territorial integrity and borders respected, so if anything the lesson here is that any aspiring nuclear nation should never disarm or you'll get invaded and wish you hadn't.

It wasn't really a choice. If Ukraine tried to keep its weapons it would be treated like north korea.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Conspiratiorist posted:

Who? I know I've only called it a bluff because throwing a huge amount of blood and treasure to kinda sorta advance Russia's position in Ukraine is a dumb move that Putin would have to be especially desperate to make.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Yeah no poo poo but I thought you weren't supposed to say that out loud

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

It wasn't really a choice. If Ukraine tried to keep its weapons it would be treated like north korea.

That's possible, but on the other hand, North Korea will be an independent and sovereign state for the foreseeable future. Their external security is guaranteed and they're safe from invasion, and their nuclear weapons deter others from even making punitive strikes.

Had Ukraine kept theirs, they'd still have Crimea and wouldn't be facing an existential threat to their sovereignty right now. If Ukraine didn't go full isolationist and get hopped up on Slav Juche then it's likely the rest of Europe would be more willing to work with them.

But all that is neither here nor there and Ukraine is probably facing annexation or a forced puppeting ala Belarus within ten years

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They're also isolated, poor, and stuck under the rule of a cartoon tinpot dictator

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Just lend-lease them a few nukes. No American boots on the ground, problem solved.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

They're also isolated, poor, and stuck under the rule of a cartoon tinpot dictator

Hey, I never said they had it good. I said they were independent and safe from external threats. They were isolated, poor, and under the rule of a tinpot dictator before they had nukes too, it's just a whole lot harder to actually help those people now because the only way North Korea goes away is if it collapses internally. Unfortuntely, internal collapse also means that the nukes might be unsecured and wooo we're off to the Cool Zone

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hannibal Rex posted:

Just lend-lease them a few nukes. No American boots on the ground, problem solved.

That's honestly not a halfway bad idea at this point. Putin must be stopped.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

Two out of three ain't bad!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How are u posted:

That's honestly not a halfway bad idea at this point. Putin must be stopped.

i cannot emphasize enough how dumb giving nukes to ukraine would be lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

i cannot emphasize enough how dumb giving nukes to ukraine anyone would be lmao

We should've let them keep a couple, regardless, if we're not even going to bother to honor even the gentlemen's agreement we made with them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can't they just ask Putin for theirs back since he broke the deal

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Can't they just ask Putin for theirs back since he broke the deal

Yeah, and you get free delivery! Either via the claimed 100 megaton Unmanned Torpedo or the Nuclear Cruise Missile they are perfecting!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

We should've let them keep a couple, regardless, if we're not even going to bother to honor even the gentlemen's agreement we made with them.

The gentlemen's agreement not to invade? Budapest said nothing about defending Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

The gentlemen's agreement not to invade? Budapest said nothing about defending Ukraine.

Ah, good to see you finally got an account Mister Putin.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in lighter news, sledkom is on the case to investigate the corrupting, pro-Nazi, anti-police activities of Noize MC and Oxxxymiron

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2021/12/09/a-satire-for-our-time

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God himself commands the Hungarians to send troops to Ukraine to stop the Slavic unification. It cannot happen or all of Europe will descend into 1000 years of Russian dashcam videos

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, good to see you finally got an account Mister Putin.

http://www.pircenter.org/media/content/files/12/13943175580.pdf

read the actual text and tell me where it says anyone must defend ukraine

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

http://www.pircenter.org/media/content/files/12/13943175580.pdf

read the actual text and tell me where it says anyone must defend ukraine

Must :! SHOULD

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Must :! SHOULD

lol

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
lol, I forgot all about Lavrov claiming Russia didn't violate the Memo because "the only obligation was to not attack with nukes", even though it's blatantly obvious to anyone who reads it that "not violating territorial sovereignty" is literally the first obligation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"they've discussed options" is only the tiniest step up from a total nothingburger, we have plans in case of alien invasion or, worse, war with Canada

Have you ever looked at a map? Canada is, like, right there. When was the last time Russians burned down the D.C.?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I doubt very much that the world would have let Ukraine keep the nukes. They would have needed time to refurbish them and remove the PAL systems and in the mean time every western country would have enacted sanctions against Ukraine on Russia's request and with Russia itself threatening to just come and get them by force. I don't know how fast you can rebuild an ICBM, but probably not fast enough. Unity of command of the Soviet nuclear arsenal was a huge issue for everyone. Nobody wanted a conflict scenario between the Soviet republics(like it happened with Yugoslavia later)but with nukes on the table. Or nuclear proliferation for that matter, Soviet nukes ending up all over the place due to corruption, etc.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 9, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While I agree with you, it should be noted that Ukraine is where a lot of Soviet ICBMs were built. Making the rockets would be the easy part for them.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Do not get on any flights that fly over Ukraine, Belarus or Russia. Chimp with grenade alert status red

https://twitter.com/CITeam_ru/status/1468684037057351690?s=20

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

All the nuke chat reminds me Lukashenko is sitting on a large supply of HEU and weapons-grade plutonium that for whatever reason Belarus kept when they turned over their nukes to Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In case you’ve ever lost night’s sleep over COVID-19 disinformation in Latvia, there now is an article exploring the subject in English.

https://en.rebaltica.lv/2021/12/who-are-the-main-disinformation-spreaders-in-latvia-and-how-do-they-support-themselves/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While I agree with you, it should be noted that Ukraine is where a lot of Soviet ICBMs were built. Making the rockets would be the easy part for them.

I feel like there are several hundred pages missing between your first and second sentences

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i say swears online posted:

I feel like there are several hundred pages missing between your first and second sentences

I honestly meant to just say “fun fact: Ukrainians historically have been good at building ICBMs”. A lot of people think it only exported wheat and lard.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
If ukraine had nukes the US and Russia wouldve iraq'd it together in 2003 lol doubt they would've ever had command and control

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Russia or Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

All the nuke chat reminds me Lukashenko is sitting on a large supply of HEU and weapons-grade plutonium that for whatever reason Belarus kept when they turned over their nukes to Russia.

First time I hear about it. He really honest to god laments that we gave up the nukes. If he could create one, he would have.

E: and when he said he preserved the nuke silos that was an outright lie. Zerkalo posted photos from their archives, they are in utter ruin except one that was turned into a mushroom farm.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 9, 2021