Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I live in blood red OK and am seeing more and more model 3s. I live in the OKC metro so take that with a grain of salt, but EVs are definitely catching on even here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zero One posted:

There are tons of Teslas here in Orlando. I'm seeing more and more MachEs too.

Now Orlando isn't exactly a super red part of Florida but it's not super liberal either.

Salesman was probably just making assumptions based on their own beliefs.

Hell just at my hospital just outside of Orlando in a small city where every Friday there are still trump supporters standing on a street corner there’s 6-9 teslas in the parking lot.

I imagine our larger sister hospital downtown has many many more.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

cruft posted:

Curious if any other posters have opinions about this statement.

I'm predisposed to assume car salesmen are lying about everything. Often without even realizing they're lying. So it'd be good if someone less jaded provided a second opinion on whether this might in fact be true. Florida is a lot farther away from California than New Mexico (where I live), maybe people would boycott the dealership if they sold something that reduced our reliance on OPEC?

The Niro EV is only sold in 12 states and Florida isn’t one of them. It’s mostly ZEV states that require manufacturers to ensure that a certain percentage of their fleet sales in the state are zero emissions vehicles. The Niro is in limited supply so it makes sense for Kia to try and sell them in states where they have compliance requirements they need to meet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I live in Georgia and I’ve never seen a Niro EV in person before. Kia’s just ignoring this area sadly.

Ironic, since they have a pretty large plant there! I think my Sorento was made in GA. Maybe the Niros are made elsewhere (and with supply chains it probably doesn't matter where things are made if they are sold there etc)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

Ironic, since they have a pretty large plant there! I think my Sorento was made in GA. Maybe the Niros are made elsewhere (and with supply chains it probably doesn't matter where things are made if they are sold there etc)

I've driven by that plant many times, it's huge. All of the Korean EVs are bein made in their own country at this time but they do have plans on making them in USA in 2022 apparently.

https://insideevs.com/news/507192/hyundai-kia-produce-evs-us/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Niro EV is only sold in 12 states and Florida isn’t one of them. It’s mostly ZEV states that require manufacturers to ensure that a certain percentage of their fleet sales in the state are zero emissions vehicles. The Niro is in limited supply so it makes sense for Kia to try and sell them in states where they have compliance requirements they need to meet.

There it is. Thank you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Georgia makes the Telluride, Sorrento and Optima. Hyundai is supposed to start making the Genesis GV70 EV next year in Alabama, but otherwise I don't think there is any stateside production of Korean EVs yet. They're supposed to do more by 2025.

edit: I was a little slow to post :)

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I dropped State Farm as soon as they pitched installing a telemetry monitoring system to my car. gently caress that.

I'm probably going to drop the program once I get my Model Y but State Farm actually has a deal with OnStar's built in monitoring which is pretty painless and it saves like $15/mo. The 3rd party nonsense is a no for me though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I dropped State Farm as soon as they pitched installing a telemetry monitoring system to my car. gently caress that.

I signed up for Progressive's snapshot at the beginning of the pandemic. Had to keep them in my car for 6 months iirc. Cut my rate by 20% or so. They think I drive like 200 miles a year.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cruft posted:

That's about the best dad joke I'm capable of, I hope everybody appreciated it.

Yesterday I discovered that the solid state disk storing the TeslaCam footage had finally corrupted the filesystem to the point that it was unmounting the disk after about 20 seconds, probably because it couldn't figure out what to do with the mess of a file allocation table. So I reformatted it with my phone and we're all good again.

I might bring the thing in and reformat as EXT4. I get why they used it, but FAT is a pretty bad choice for something that gets yanked out mid-write so frequently.

You can format drives in the car now. I had a set up with two fast usb sticks and a fast usb hub, one stick for the camera, one for music, both formatted FAT. The car had alot of complaints about that (depending randomly on the day) even though it should have worked, and was recommended by some forum. I recently formatted the camera one in the car, and kept that one as the only drive, and the car no longer complains about it. Granted I also have removed the hub and the other drive, but it seems promising. I'm going to try to get my music data small enough to put it and the teslacam on the same drive if I can, but I might also try to format the other drive to Ext and put my music on there and see if it works better.

quote:

Plug in your USB in the car
Go to Controls > Safety > Security
Scrool down untill “FORMAT USB DEVICE” and tap on it (see image below)
Confirm by tapping on’FORMAT'

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I live in Georgia and I’ve never seen a Niro EV in person before. Kia’s just ignoring this area sadly.

I saw one near my house the other day! So they do exist in Georgia...at least one does.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

You can format drives in the car now. I had a set up with two fast usb sticks and a fast usb hub, one stick for the camera, one for music, both formatted FAT. The car had alot of complaints about that (depending randomly on the day) even though it should have worked, and was recommended by some forum. I recently formatted the camera one in the car, and kept that one as the only drive, and the car no longer complains about it. Granted I also have removed the hub and the other drive, but it seems promising. I'm going to try to get my music data small enough to put it and the teslacam on the same drive if I can, but I might also try to format the other drive to Ext and put my music on there and see if it works better.

Nice. Do you know if that formats with FAT or EXT4?

Somehow looking into this ended with me buying that Jeda USB hub. :sigh:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cruft posted:

Nice. Do you know if that formats with FAT or EXT4?

Somehow looking into this ended with me buying that Jeda USB hub. :sigh:

I just popped it into my windows machine and it says its exFAT

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bone Crimes posted:

I just popped it into my windows machine and it says its exFAT

cyber-bullying in its most literal sense

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

cruft posted:

Curious if any other posters have opinions about this statement.

I'm predisposed to assume car salesmen are lying about everything. Often without even realizing they're lying. So it'd be good if someone less jaded provided a second opinion on whether this might in fact be true. Florida is a lot farther away from California than New Mexico (where I live), maybe people would boycott the dealership if they sold something that reduced our reliance on OPEC?

I can believe the local company that owns the dealerships not allowing them to be on the lot. EVs need far less maintenance than an ICE car and that maintenance is where dealerships make most of their money. Its actually against the business interests of dealerships to sell them in most cases. But Kia themselves don't give a poo poo, they just want to sell cars, they don't care what kind they are.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also AFAIK most/all of the brands selling EVs require their dealers to add charging stations and have X number of trained techs to sell EVs so it costs the dealer more money to sell vehicles that will provide them with less income in the long run.

The dealership business model is really anti-consumer. It's in their benefit to get you in to a car that's just barely good enough to get you to return.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Antillie posted:

I can believe the local company that owns the dealerships not allowing them to be on the lot. EVs need far less maintenance than an ICE car and that maintenance is where dealerships make most of their money. Its actually against the business interests of dealerships to sell them in most cases. But Kia themselves don't give a poo poo, they just want to sell cars, they don't care what kind they are.

As I said above, the Niro EV is not a 50 state vehicle. Kia only sells them in select states so, yes, they actually do care.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As I said above, the Niro EV is not a 50 state vehicle. Kia only sells them in select states so, yes, they actually do care.

So I think this is changing. The dealership here in WI has one coming in this month, and two more In January.

they have promised to call me back regarding price for the first one.

Will report back if this is a sleazy sales bait and switch bs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They're gonna get you down there and try and sell you a Rio

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Washington is not a ZEV state but they sell them here too I think?

They're supposed to go nationwide next year but no idea if shortages affect that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wolrah posted:

Also AFAIK most/all of the brands selling EVs require their dealers to add charging stations and have X number of trained techs to sell EVs so it costs the dealer more money to sell vehicles that will provide them with less income in the long run.

The dealership business model is really anti-consumer. It's in their benefit to get you in to a car that's just barely good enough to get you to return.

I have been assured that the dealership model actually saves savvy consumers money, somehow, contrary to every financial analysis on the subject

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Charles posted:

Washington is not a ZEV state but they sell them here too I think?

They're supposed to go nationwide next year but no idea if shortages affect that.

Washington is a ZEV state. The Niro was also sold in a few non-ZEV states (Georgia, Texas)and not sold in every ZEV state. But the allocations were meant to goose either state or federal fleet averages.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Our local kia dealer just got some Niro EVs (in AZ), going to test drive this weekend.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My Taycan is back at the garage with its first significant issue. The heater wouldn't work the other day and given my main use case is going to the mountains that's a real problem.

When I drove home the air temperature was -7C and presumably not much higher in the cabin, it just never warmed up and I got pretty drat cold. Thank god for heated seats and wheel. There was still snow in the cabin when I got home 2 hours later.

It needs a heater control unit which is back ordered so I am now in a base model Macan loaner, which is objectively a decent car but feels like a huge downgrade.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

My Taycan is back at the garage with its first significant issue. The heater wouldn't work the other day and given my main use case is going to the mountains that's a real problem.

When I drove home the air temperature was -7C and presumably not much higher in the cabin, it just never warmed up and I got pretty drat cold. Thank god for heated seats and wheel. There was still snow in the cabin when I got home 2 hours later.

It needs a heater control unit which is back ordered so I am now in a base model Macan loaner, which is objectively a decent car but feels like a huge downgrade.

That sucks. Sorry, friend.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

knox_harrington posted:

It's a shame you can't just tweet the CEO and get it done faster.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Hey, @ferdinand_911, fix my drat car!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If anyone is wondering what size dog can fit in the back of a MYP

https://imgur.com/a/UfCM3Sv

My 150 pound Great Dane fits comfortably in there with the seats folded down. He had enough room to stand fully up but was more comfortable laying down.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

MrLogan posted:

Are you willing to fly and drive? It seems pretty regional. My local Toyota dealer always seems to have one or two on the lot right now.

Possibly. Where are you? My fiancé is actually going to Massachusetts for a week so I inquired at a few dealerships out there but have been striking out.

Also not really willing to pay much over msrp

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mattfl posted:

My 150 pound Great Dane fits comfortably in there with the seats folded down. He had enough room to stand fully up but was more comfortable laying down.

Gonna get a little ramp for a couple shetland ponies now! :haw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Washington is a ZEV state. The Niro was also sold in a few non-ZEV states (Georgia, Texas)and not sold in every ZEV state. But the allocations were meant to goose either state or federal fleet averages.

That must have changed this year because last year they had only adopted the LEV standards. I remember for whatever car I was looking at I would have to drive to Oregon to get.

Seattle is a huge market for EVs in general though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Charles posted:

That must have changed this year because last year they had only adopted the LEV standards. I remember for whatever car I was looking at I would have to drive to Oregon to get.

Seattle is a huge market for EVs in general though.

Yea, they adopted the standard last December I believe. But yea, it’s also a big enough market with enough charging infrastructure that it makes sense to sell them there anyway, like Texas.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

mattfl posted:

Omg he is beautiful. Is that cargo blanket specifically sized for the car?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In retrospect that was a pretty sly way to sneak pet photos into the EV thread. I approve.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

hobbez posted:

Possibly. Where are you? My fiancé is actually going to Massachusetts for a week so I inquired at a few dealerships out there but have been striking out.

Also not really willing to pay much over msrp

I'm in the DC suburbs. Local place has 5 listed, but not sure which are on the lot: https://www.youngertoyota.com/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Omg he is beautiful. Is that cargo blanket specifically sized for the car?

Thanks!

And yes it’s specific for the MY

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092DBJC6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2WJV5AH4HW0BEBYZZ8DE

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

MrLogan posted:

I'm in the DC suburbs. Local place has 5 listed, but not sure which are on the lot: https://www.youngertoyota.com/

Yeah I almost guarantee these don’t exist. Lots of places have them listed and they are never on the lot but you can “order” them. Thanks anyway

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did some winter prep in the rented garage, silicone spray on the door seals, WD-40 in the door handles and removed the OEM mudflaps. Tomorrow, wash, wax and fit aftermarket mudflaps.

The spot has some pros and cons. One big con, to reach the charging port I have to reverse in and ... yeah. Got the column spot. Can't get in or out. Climbing over the center console is easy at least.

Pros: That warning tape is working ok, only banged my head once. It's dry and warm. And another big pro, the charge point is 7 kW. You have to authenticate with an RFID (although I don't think they invoice beyond the fixed monthly cost) to start it so I wondered if it would need re-auth'ing if it had hit a charge limit and you wanted to charge more later.

It didn't! I set a limit, let it finish, then upped the limit on the app and it started charging again. Nice. It'll probably reset the auth when I disconnect. This means I can leave the car at 60% and before a long trip I can set scheduled departure and if I need 100% it'll be less than 5 hours of charging. The place we move to will probably have 3.6kW charging, so I guess I'll enjoy this while it lasts.

The app is really loving good. You can see the amps ramp up just like watching the main screen. Being able to remotely change the amps will come in handy at my in-laws where the garage fuse is shared with some other stuff.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boy that red looks cool with the black interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
With the crazy availability of all sorts of conversion kits now, I keep getting wild urges to buy a non-running classic beetle and giving it the spicy electron treatment.