Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OhFunny posted:

That's a bunch of bullshit too. The United States led the boycott of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow and did not allow American athletes to go.

Nah, it's clearly true. Like the US can't do anything if you privately send money to Hezbollah.
Edit: Wait, I'm getting an update here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Every 2 years Americans tune in to the olympics so we can see our beloved government officials.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

OhFunny posted:

That's a bunch of bullshit too. The United States led the boycott of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow and did not allow American athletes to go.

The administration just wants to avoid articles like this getting written down the line:

OLYMPICS; Bitterness Lingering Over Carter's Boycott

The US and China were allies at the time and when asked, the Chinese sacked up and joined the US boycott as well.

Let's see if this time the US can cajole pissant "allies" like Canada to join their non-boycott as well lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

The administration just wants to avoid articles like this getting written down the line:

OLYMPICS; Bitterness Lingering Over Carter's Boycott

The USOPC was privatized in 1978 even. Libs just love making stuff up so they can work backwards from current policy to make it make sense.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i just saw a British debate on China and honestly it’s a really good reminder why the UK is an irredeemable shithole with pound for pound the worst media on the planet.

https://youtu.be/mQ6EK6dv02U

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Dec 8, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/digidiploTaiwan/status/1468476486839828481?t=mfLI7DpUi2PGsZAosga3Iw&s=19

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Every 2 years Americans tune in to the olympics so we can see our beloved government officials.

lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'd watch it if it was Takeshi's castle.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: beaten

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

I'd watch it if it was Takeshi's castle.

If government officials from around the world were forced to participate in a Takeshi's Castle style contest as part of the opening ceremonies, I'd watch that for sure.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

The United States led the boycott of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow

drat soviets invading afghanistan, how dare they stick their noses where they are not welcome. this is an outrage! :argh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xi-pill fixes this problem

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

genericnick posted:

I'd watch it if it was The Running Man.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

wait Australian is boycotting the games but sending its athletes? what does the boycott even entail? sounds like saying you support BDS but buying soda stream and sabra every week.

sending hot young athletes to the most advanced country in the world without their ideological police seems like poor statescraft but what do I know!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/584740-rubio-calls-on-airbnb-to-delist-some-properties-in-chinas-xinjiang-region

Good guy marco rubio not wanting people to go vacation in an area where the genocide of millions is happening right now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

"Why would we take Ukraine's side and not Russia's side?" he said on November 10. "It's a sincere question. If you're looking at America's perspective, why? Who's got the energy reserves? Who's the major player in world affairs? Who's the potential counterbalance against China."

:hmmyes:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It takes a massive brain to think about ukraine/russia like that and then not apply it to taiwan/china.

But I can probably see a weakened US in 20 years start to walk back NATO to try and coax russia to help contain china. The US has more in common with modern day russia than it has with china.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Dec 8, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Carlson is right that it makes strategic sense for the US to ally with Russia against China. Russia and China are two very different countries with a history of conflict.

The US won the Cold War because they reached an agreement with a communist China that both will work together against the USSR. It doesn't seem wild to propose that a capitalist Russia work with the US against China.

The good news is that it seems the US is too aggressive and arrogant to really pull it off.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
russia and china do military wargames with each other all the time, pretty sure that ship has long since sailed

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

russia and china do military wargames with each other all the time, pretty sure that ship has long since sailed

They used to fight a war on the same side and still tried to stab each other in the back at the first opportunity.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Al-Saqr posted:

i just saw a British debate on China and honestly it’s a really good reminder why the UK is an irredeemable shithole with pound for pound the worst media on the planet.

https://youtu.be/mQ6EK6dv02U

Or did you see some bloke react to a debate?

Note: I'm not going to see either.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It helps that the border disputes between Russia and china have been fully solved at this point, they finished negotiation and demarcation in 2004-2008.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Living next to Being part of China

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do people in taiwan actually call themselves taiwan and the mainland china? This is a baffling account but I'm sure it's just some CIA front or whatever.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lmao at that title

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao at that title

omg I didn't even notice it. lmao

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Funny that me saying "I believe the accusations" is what prompted that title purchase

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If government officials from around the world were forced to participate in a Takeshi's Castle style contest as part of the opening ceremonies, I'd watch that for sure.

mXc has not aged well

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Funny that me saying "I believe the accusations" is what prompted that title purchase

someone's been sitting on a white-hot grudge for a long time, begging and praying for any excuse at all lmao

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

genericnick posted:

They used to fight a war on the same side and still tried to stab each other in the back at the first opportunity.

p. sure both countries learned never to trust the great satan

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1468679756627554306?t=Y-sc_aZQDHpAaeYAR1SfpA&s=19

Stalin got 11% of people naming him as their most disliked figure, but also 20% naming him their most liked

quote:

A brand new poll focused on the 30th anniversary of the fall of the USSR has revealed that Russian people see former President Mikhail Gorbachev as the most hated figure from the Soviet era, ahead of leader Joseph Stalin.
The study, conducted by the state-owned Russian Public Opinion Research Center (WCIOM), also discovered that cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space, is the most beloved man of the Soviet era for modern Russian citizens.

Of the 1,600 people surveyed, 20% named Gorbachev as the most hated person of the Soviet era, far ahead of anyone else.

Gorbachev led the USSR from 1985 until its collapse in 1991 and is seen as one of the most important figures of 20th century history. However, while he enjoys a positive reputation outside of the country, he is viewed differently inside Russia. Many people blame him for the post-Soviet economic crisis that led to a dramatic decline in living standards, as well as a diminution of Moscow’s status on the world stage.

Behind Gorbachev on the “most hated” rankings, with 11%, came three Soviet heavyweights who tied for second place: Stalin, his brutal and murderous secret police chief Lavrentiy Beria, and Stalin’s successor Nikita Khrushchev.

Stalin, who ran the country from 1924 until his death in 1953, was found to be particularly unpopular with people under 25 (19%).

The former Generalissimo, who led the Soviet Union to victory in World War II, splits opinion inside modern Russia. For some, he is a hero for his wartime leadership. For another segment of society, he was a tyrant who led a repressive and murderous regime. For others, he is a mixture of the two. This split is seen starkly in the WCIOM poll, where he also came in third place in the survey for the most beloved Soviet figures.

Other than Stalin (20%), the most popular people were named as Gagarin (41%), World War II General Georgy Zhukov (22%), and former leader Leonid Brezhnev (9%).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Surprised Yeltsin doesnt get more poo poo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah I mean I have no trouble at all believing there's a lot of sexism in the party and the idea that one of them might be an abuser doesn't rock my worldview. I hope it's properly investigated and discipline happens, if necessary. I see no issue at all with saying that and also saying western concern trolling over this is just imperialist intrigue.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The US can't do a strategic alliance with Russia because they're one of the few remaining great powers practicing a form of state capitalism. One way or another the Russian government can use its power to keep Russian capital national, or at least independent of control by the international bourgeois. The chance to make Russia a junior partner in American empire really sailed in the 90s, when we forced Yeltsin to accept shock therapy and ruined the country.

So if Russia is a truly independent state with its own imperial interests, then they'll be siding with China much more naturally because the Chinese government makes respect of foreign sovereignty one of its major FP planks. They can always get a better deal with China because they will respect Russian interests. The American agenda for Russia is to force them into Shock Therapy 2.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I mean I have no trouble at all believing there's a lot of sexism in the party and the idea that one of them might be an abuser doesn't rock my worldview. I hope it's properly investigated and discipline happens, if necessary. I see no issue at all with saying that and also saying western concern trolling over this is just imperialist intrigue.

an incredibly good reply that summarizes a powerfully correct stance, well done

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Otoh russians admire europe and are racist towards chinese so it doesn't seem like it'll take much

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

National interests bear more weight than the public being kind of racist.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

America sure, but this is the first time I am hearing anything about Europe.

The only context I've seen EU mentioned in is jobs and money. As in people want to go to Europe so they can take their money, but I've never heard about admiring.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The US can't do a strategic alliance with Russia because they're one of the few remaining great powers practicing a form of state capitalism. One way or another the Russian government can use its power to keep Russian capital national, or at least independent of control by the international bourgeois. The chance to make Russia a junior partner in American empire really sailed in the 90s, when we forced Yeltsin to accept shock therapy and ruined the country.

So if Russia is a truly independent state with its own imperial interests, then they'll be siding with China much more naturally because the Chinese government makes respect of foreign sovereignty one of its major FP planks. They can always get a better deal with China because they will respect Russian interests. The American agenda for Russia is to force them into Shock Therapy 2.

How much is this because you have a common adversary though? I can see a shift happening in a few decades if the US stops being as antagonistic and realizes they cant contain both russia and china at the same time and China's economies engine is much more powerful

Its unlikely that Russia's economy would ever get close to the US so its never going to be an economic threat to it. I can see Russia playing both sides if the US lets up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Deified Data posted:

:haibrow: