Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

Andoman posted:

Crimes - I try not too - I'm a Financial Crime professional

maybe you could lend me a hand. you see, my was recently cheated out of a billion dollars in certain thread…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Prof. Crocodile posted:

maybe you could lend me a hand. you see, my was recently cheated out of a billion dollars in certain thread…

That's strange, I had the same thing happen to me recently. What are the chances of that. Maybe a benevolent Kaiser will shower us with gifts and cash; then again maybe not.

Prof. Crocodile

finally a reason for the internet to exist

cruft

biosterous posted:

your question was "what do i know?" :v:

Oh dang, you just caused me to look inside, and I realized I've been owning myself the whole time!

I guess I'm okay with this state of affairs. If I can't own myself, then who can own me?

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 8, 2021

cruft

I like this a whole lot!

cruft

cruft posted:

Oh dang, you just caused me to look inside, and I realized I've been owning myself the whole time!

I guess I'm okay with this state of affairs. If I can't own myself, then who can own me?

Cruft is my name; healthy burns and mild self-owns are my game.

Manifisto

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

G'mungo, Yob'.

Manifisto I'm so sorry i lost track of brain and totally blanked on changing my av to the spooky one you made. You went to all that effort and i feel really bad

Don't worry about it! Stuff happens.

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I listen to bhangra Pump Up The Jams when I need to feel better about things.

Also I'm trying to quit smoking and Code Jockey is cyberbullying me relentlessly about it, and it's working!!!!! I want to peel my skin off and eat everyone but it's working!!!!

cruft

Cardi BYOB posted:

I listen to bhangra Pump Up The Jams when I need to feel better about things.

Also I'm trying to quit smoking and Code Jockey is cyberbullying me relentlessly about it, and it's working!!!!! I want to peel my skin off and eat everyone but it's working!!!!

Code Jockey? More like CardiBYOB Jerk, amirite?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Code Jockey? More like CardiBYOB Jerk, amirite?

Hahahahaha actually this is correct

nesamdoom

i love ai pictures
What the actual gently caress is the reason to use imperial for everything besides booze? every liquid is loving sold by oz until you get to the liquor section and the poo poo is metric. I don't mind metric, but ounce is a better way to appreciate the level of hosed up one gets from booze. miles work better for distances related to driving, km works good for understanding perspectively how long poo poo is. those both have good uses and are kinda hosed around. having written the algebraic expression to figure out how much peen i was knocking into a chick based on variables(very drunk and wondered how many miles I'd pushed and needed a baseline to work from) then turning it to computer code, i'd have very much rather worked metric because then the translations from miles, feet, and inches would have been easier(maybe i'll rewrite it metric actually, that might be worth doing but as a dumb person i can't loving know how many cms poo poo is or adjust for difference,still might be more useful to people that use metric). I could share shell or ruby versions if anyone is interested. but really the point is how loving useless it is knowing I have 3/4 a loving litre of booze and not knowing how many shots it is because they are loving imperially measured. also, gently caress metric. the weight is based on a chunk of something in a vault in france and the liquid is based on weight afaik so thats arbitrary altho i think imperial would equally be since its based on metric. at least distance is observable. and if we are gonna talk about fractions of grams then surely elevation comes into play... gently caress, i might need to nap.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
more falafel please

forums poster

Fahrenheit is better for outside temperature because 0 is super cold but it happens and 100 is super hot but it happens. for Celsius normal temperatures are like -17 to 37

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Prof. Crocodile

more falafel please posted:

Fahrenheit is better for outside temperature because 0 is super cold but it happens and 100 is super hot but it happens. for Celsius normal temperatures are like -17 to 37

yeah Fahrenheit makes more intuitive sense, but other than that I can’t think of any reason not to use metric measures.

[insert grandpa Simpson joke]

Finger Prince

Fahrenheit is only intuitive because you grew up using it. It makes no drat sense at all if you didn't.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Prof. Crocodile posted:

yeah Fahrenheit makes more intuitive sense

No it doesn't

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

But I LIKE measuring everything in base 12 for no discernible reason other than measurement of distance is relative to time measurement mathematically or some dumb reason actually metric is better in every way

nesamdoom

i love ai pictures

Prof. Crocodile posted:

yeah Fahrenheit makes more intuitive sense, but other than that I can’t think of any reason not to use metric measures.

[insert grandpa Simpson joke]

I agree on this, F is a nice range that like the diff between 80 and 70 or 50 and 40 are noticeable things. C just makes its kinda iffy. Prob works better scientifically though, but for everyday use people need to know if its tshirt weather or long sleeve or hoody or getting a jacket out the closet. As an Iowan I deal with it going from over 100 to double digit negative yearly and I appreciate knowing how hosed outside it is. this is one of the times imperial has better precision and its prob better. some town being 8 miles away doesn't benefit from the precision of km. I have a caliper that I used to have to measure poo poo to tolerance in ten thousandths of an inch, sometimes precision is great. but the difference between me chucking some poo poo 50 feet or 20sum metres doesn't matter much to me.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Is metric vs. Imperial the hot button issue which will finally destroy byob?!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

BYOB was deleted last Tuesday over the Kelvin scale

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Sandwiches are just a metric in an imperial bowl!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Viginti Septem posted:

Sandwiches are just a metric in an imperial bowl!

TODAY YOU CHOSE VIOLENCE

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

What the actual gently caress is the reason to use imperial for everything besides booze?

The reason is that it's what we used yesterday.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Cardi BYOB posted:

TODAY YOU CHOSE VIOLENCE

Alpaca my bags

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
The reason you think Fahrenheit makes more sense is because you're used to it but seriously water freezes at 32 degrees? Wtf is this bullshit get outta here

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

cruft

Rarity posted:

The reason you think Fahrenheit makes more sense is because you're used to it

I set all my poo poo to Celsius so I could get used to that too and it worked.

I actually think Celsius makes more sense because the type of coat I need lines up to 10 degree intervals.

more falafel please

forums poster

the booze thing is weird, hard liquor in the states used to come in quarts, but now it comes in 750s. 750mL is vaguely 1/5 of a gallon (hence the term "fifth"), and i think the change was a rationing measure during The War (not sure which war)

maybe it's just for the sake of consistency since wine is sold in 750s and a lot of that is imported from metric places

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

The reason is that it's what we used yesterday.

Once upon a time, there was a person who made buckets. They made them bucket sized, except they called them "gallons", or something like, as was the custom at the time. Then people started charging money for the stuff in the bucket, and had to work out a method for measuring the contents. Of course everyone had different ideas of how to measure what was in the bucket, depending on what what was in it, and then probably got in arguments about why one merchant's weights weighed more than another's, and why another one's bucket was slightly smaller than the rest but the stuff inside was the same price. Fast forward to present day and here we are.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

the booze thing is weird, hard liquor in the states used to come in quarts, but now it comes in 750s. 750mL is vaguely 1/5 of a gallon (hence the term "fifth"), and i think the change was a rationing measure during The War (not sure which war)

maybe it's just for the sake of consistency since wine is sold in 750s and a lot of that is imported from metric places

It’s crazy actually but metric of course started in France and those Revolutionaries in their infinite wisdom decided to define the millilitre as 1/1000 of what was then the standard, regulated for excise tax purposes, wine bottle size. Then later on under Napoleon they needed more soldiers and less people sitting around drinking wine so they had to ration wine a bit and just reduced the bottle size by 25%. And so a millilitre is still 1/1000 of a 1794 standard French wine bottle but wine bottles have been 750 ml for like 209 years now. Talk about just doing something because it’s what you did yesterday :rolleyes:

E: iirc ‘Litre’ is actually the Ancien Regime name of that old wine bottle and hence we get millilitre. I think etymologically it is connected to ‘Livre’ which of course was the old French unit of currency, and the symbol for which- £- is still used for pounds Sterling so anytime you see that symbol they are actually talking about old French wine bottles.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 8, 2021

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s crazy actually but metric of course started in France and those Revolutionaries in their infinite wisdom decided to define the millilitre as 1/1000 of what was then the standard, regulated for excise tax purposes, wine bottle size. Then later on under Napoleon they needed more soldiers and less people sitting around drinking wine so they had to ration wine a bit and just reduced the bottle size by 25%. And so a millilitre is still 1/1000 of a 1794 standard French wine bottle but wine bottles have been 750 ml for like 209 years now. Talk about just doing something because it’s what you did yesterday :rolleyes:

I didn't know this, and I am so happy to learn something new today that I'm now crying.

I really like trivia, okay?

Prof. Crocodile

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: iirc ‘Litre’ is actually the Ancien Regime name of that old wine bottle and hence we get millilitre. I think etymologically it is connected to ‘Livre’ which of course was the old French unit of currency, and the symbol for which- £- is still used for pounds Sterling so anytime you see that symbol they are actually talking about old French wine bottles.

i normally express every part of my life as a function of alcohol bottle volume, so this origin story resonates with me.

ChubbyChecker

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

'livre' and £ symbol come from the latin word for pound 'libra'

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

cruft posted:

I didn't know this, and I am so happy to learn something new today that I'm now crying.

I really like trivia, okay?

Yeah the litre/livre/pound thing reminds me that part of the reason the words are so connected is that the tax on a liter of wine was a livre, which is also the French word for pound, which is how pounds Stirling came to have the name (because never forget that the monarchs of England claimed to also be the rightful rulers of France for a very long time indeed)

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2021

more falafel please

forums poster

ChubbyChecker posted:

'livre' and £ symbol come from the latin word for pound 'libra'

same with the scales in the astrological sign. also "liberty"

Ass-penny

hello friends I'm getting Mexican food with my folks later but for breakfast I've had coffee and leftover chicken nuggets incoming. hope everyone is doing well.

metrics chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6F_EQ0k_EQ

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone who found those France facts interesting let me know I have some really great opportunities through my billionaire connections on some oceanfront property in the beautiful and sunny Ile de France and I would love to hook some yobbers up.

nesamdoom

i love ai pictures

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Never. Even the people that care about it don't care enough to be upset or do anything about it. So BYOB will forget it came up, like most things, in a few hours.

nesamdoom

i love ai pictures

I totally never made the connection to wine until reading this, and as arbitrary as it may seem, I still know a 750 of 14% cheap wine will get me good for like 6 bucks. maybe i need to relate wine to booze that way to make sense of it all. Carlo Rossi will forever be a dear friend for how much he drunked up a teenage me.

cruft

YouTube has been pestering me to watch this video called Mama Saturn's Virtual Concert, so I finally did, and my friends, let me tell you, it is BLOWING MY MIND.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Viginti Septem posted:

Alpaca my bags

I refuse to let this go unquoted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Viginti Septem posted:

Alpaca my bags

Code Jockey posted: