Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Torpor posted:

quote isn’t edit :haw:

Boo I was gonna say you forgot to log out of your account!

Anyhoo our wonderful society has solved a lot of problems, including the question of societal formation/organization. It just happened that power comes from the barrel of a gun and lots of money can buy more gun than little money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Serf posted:

people of the... future? do you mean like the great race of yith? because buddy they're laughing at us in the past, present and future all at once

I mean the last person alive is technically a person of the future, whoever that is is going to be pissed

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Torpor posted:

you know, the people of the future are going to have some pretty harsh critiques of our present and past because for all of our supposed intellect and tradition of philosophy we paved the way for their unbroken litany of suffering, death and destruction of not only the natural world but humanity itself on an unimaginable scale.

Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban has some interesting mythology among the post-apoc people about what present day people were like and could do.

quote:

Eusa was angre he was in rayj & he kep pulin on the Littl Man the Addoms owt strecht arms. The Littl Man the Addom he begun tu cum a part he cryd, I wan tu go I wan tu stay. Eusa sed, tel mor. The Addom sed, I wan tu dark, I wan tu lyt, I wan tu day I wan tu nyt. Eusa sed, tel mor. The Addom sed, I wan tu woman, I wan tu man. Eusa sed, tel mor. The Addom sed, I wan tu plus I wan tu minus, I wan tu big, I wan tu littl, I wan tu aul, I wan tu nuthing.”

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Torpor posted:

you know, the people of the future are going to have some pretty harsh critiques of our present and past because for all of our supposed intellect and tradition of philosophy we paved the way for their unbroken litany of suffering, death and destruction of not only the natural world but humanity itself on an unimaginable scale.

what people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

its funny because its mostly optimism driving the "lol humanity will be extinct within a few decades"

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Trabisnikof posted:

its funny because its mostly optimism driving the "lol humanity will be extinct within a few decades"

It is admittedly a pretty comforting thought

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thanks, joe!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this his pre SA history?

No, he was a woman abuser op

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

so that “Imminent gigadeath forthcoming” guy is a crank and full of it right

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
My main climate prep is Kristen schaal and margarita pool

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

sitchensis posted:

so that “Imminent gigadeath forthcoming” guy is a crank and full of it right

Lol which one. The guy with the fever dream info graphic hosted on blogspot.com? No way to tell I'm afraid...

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
The guy who thinks the oceans are gonna go a full +1c down to 4000 feet within the decade?

Probably "lol". Maybe "lmao".

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Biosphere Collapse: I wan tu big, I wan tu littl, I wan tu aul, I wan tu nuthing

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
A full 1 meter sea level rise within a decade...

I personally believe him. Who would like to put in on my new REIT buying soon-to-be oceanfront property in Idaho?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
no rumpa no dum no zantigen Eusa com

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hibajubwa posted:

I personally believe him. Who would like to put in on my new REIT buying soon-to-be oceanfront property in Idaho?

how long do you believe a meter is

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

how long do you believe a meter is

Do you think they measure sea rise as in the distance of shore covered?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/maps/zjd/United-States/

Idaho is going to be awhile, maybe Orlando. RIP Bahamas

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Tell me you don't know the topography of the pacnw without telling me you don't know the topography of the pacnw

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Hibajubwa posted:

Yeah but it's like 600-700 m above sea, oh never mind. Buy whatever you want lol nothing matters

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Tell me you don't know the topography of the pacnw without telling me you don't know the topography of the pacnw

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so are we more or less doomed currently? feels like there's been less destruction recently

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

CODChimera posted:

feels like there's been less destruction recently

lol?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CODChimera posted:

so are we more or less doomed currently? feels like there's been less destruction recently

Northern hemisphere summer is over.

The west coast is about to get slammed with rain, watch this space. It's also in the middle of a drought, so it could go either way!

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Ah yes, take the Idaho part seriously. CSPAM climate thread: full of the real smart posters.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

CODChimera posted:

lol. lmao.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I’m worried about drought and lack of rain so I’m moving to Riley OR

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

chairface posted:

Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban has some interesting mythology among the post-apoc people about what present day people were like and could do.

What depresses me the most about Riddles Walker is that peplz r typn lik tht nw & itz dprssn.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

skooma512 posted:

The west coast is about to get slammed with rain

about to? lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What depresses me the most about Riddles Walker is that peplz r typn lik tht nw & itz dprssn.

tbf that's how Old English was lol. what was old is now new. you can read a lot of old english if give yourself a wee bit o' brain damage and can generally pickup words by real similar sound. just know like Þ means 'th' https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/Gawain?rgn=main;view=fulltext

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
this all seems very stressful

if anyone needs me i'll be out in the field

with a stick and my favorite beer bottle :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

excuse me it's metre

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304389421028302?dgcid=author

quote:

Microplastics cause damage to human cells in the laboratory at the levels known to be eaten by people via their food, a study has found.

The harm included cell death and allergic reactions and the research is the first to show this happens at levels relevant to human exposure.

The research analysed 17 previous studies which looked at the toxicological impacts of microplastics on human cell lines. The scientists compared the level of microplastics at which damage was caused to the cells with the levels consumed by people through contaminated drinking water, seafood and table salt.

They found specific types of harm – cell death, allergic response, and damage to cell walls – were caused by the levels of microplastics that people ingest.

“Harmful effects on cells are in many cases the initiating event for health effects,” said Evangelos Danopoulos, of Hull York Medical School, UK, and who led the research published in the Journal of Hazardous Materials. “We should be concerned. Right now, there isn’t really a way to protect ourselves.”

The research also showed irregularly shaped microplastics caused more cell death than spherical ones. This is important for future studies as many microplastics bought for use in laboratory experiments are spherical, and therefore may not be representative of the particles humans ingest.

Danopoulos said the next step for researchers was to look at studies of microplastic harm in laboratory animals – experiments on human subjects would not be ethical. In March, a study showed tiny plastic particles in the lungs of pregnant rats pass rapidly into the hearts, brains and other organs of their foetuses.

In December, microplastics were revealed in the placentas of unborn babies, which the researchers said was “a matter of great concern”. In October, scientists showed that babies fed formula milk in plastic bottles were swallowing millions of particles a day.

cell damage means cancer points.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

The research also showed irregularly shaped microplastics caused more cell death than spherical ones. This is important for future studies as many microplastics bought for use in laboratory experiments are spherical, and therefore may not be representative of the particles humans ingest.

The truth was revealed to us long ago :orb:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

plastics really are such an incredible self own by humanity

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol wtf are they doing going out buying microplastics

they're just... there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

scientific microplastic manufacturer is my dream job. gently caress earth and life, give me your grant money, eggheads!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lol wtf are they doing going out buying microplastics

they're just... there

just not how science works but this is one of the circumstances where they identify that naturally degrading plastics probably have more dangerous geometry than what they had available

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

selling the waste water from my building's washing machines, retiring early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

what did people even do before plastics I don’t get it