Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its unlikely that Russia's economy would ever get close to the US so its never going to be an economic threat to it. I can see Russia playing both sides if the US lets up.

But have you considered that USA is run by a bunch of brain dead old people that still think it's 1980?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How much is this because you have a common adversary though? I can see a shift happening in a few decades if the US stops being as antagonistic and realizes they cant contain both russia and china at the same time and China's economies engine is much more powerful

Its unlikely that Russia's economy would ever get close to the US so its never going to be an economic threat to it. I can see Russia playing both sides if the US lets up.

The Russian economy can't threaten the US on its own, no, but it can as part of a China-led economic block. Russia has way more to gain materially from further cooperation with China. The United States isn't going to "let up" on Russia because it's an existential issue for the world system that any state isn't fully opened up to international markets. Global capitalism needs new markets to expand into, and even if it doesn't at the moment it needs to reserve developing & 3rd world countries for future exploitation. We can't really steer clear of expanding the zone of control all the way up to Russia's border, because central Asian economies that are more closely tied to Russia or China are a loss to the First World.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

But have you considered that USA is run by a bunch of brain dead old people that still think it's 1980?

I mean it would be logical to try to start pivoting to that now but its not going to happen because of the idiots in power now. 20 or 30 years from now though, who knows. I dont think millenials or zoomers are going to be giving a gently caress

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Funny that me saying "I believe the accusations" is what prompted that title purchase

if you don’t mind being permabanned you should just keep replying with Greyjoy quotes about believing women…sometimes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Russian economy can't threaten the US on its own, no, but it can as part of a China-led economic block. Russia has way more to gain materially from further cooperation with China. The United States isn't going to "let up" on Russia because it's an existential issue for the world system that any state isn't fully opened up to international markets. Global capitalism needs new markets to expand into, and even if it doesn't at the moment it needs to reserve developing & 3rd world countries for future exploitation. We can't really steer clear of expanding the zone of control all the way up to Russia's border, because central Asian economies that are more closely tied to Russia or China are a loss to the First World.

russia and central asia as conduits for trade from the pacific coast of eurasia to the EU could stand to make a shitload of ca$$h

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How much is this because you have a common adversary though? I can see a shift happening in a few decades if the US stops being as antagonistic and realizes they cant contain both russia and china at the same time and China's economies engine is much more powerful

Russia would maybe play both sides but the problem is the Russian government wouldn’t back off their current strategic interests to make it happen. In addition, Russo-Chinese trade has really been climbing in recent years and Russia would take a economic hit.

If US let up, relations would obviously improve but I would be doubtful Moscow would give up its strategic alliance with the Chinese.

Race is complex in Russia and it is clear there is intense xenophobia against Central Asian immigrations (worse than ever) but there is also a fair amount of interest in China as well. Many people see it as a place of opportunity and they probably aren’t wrong. I would say feelings are probably warmer than in the West.

As for Europe, there is still positive feelings but they are dimming especially since economic opportunities are in reality not really that amazing for a lot of potential immigrants. There are people who moved to the EU and are moving back because it is actually pretty difficult to make any headway.

The European way of doing things is better than the US at the same time people I know are surprised about higher taxes, the cost of health care, housing, and education.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Dec 8, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I mean I have no trouble at all believing there's a lot of sexism in the party and the idea that one of them might be an abuser doesn't rock my worldview. I hope it's properly investigated and discipline happens, if necessary. I see no issue at all with saying that and also saying western concern trolling over this is just imperialist intrigue.

yea same. I believe her story and have full belief that the party has sexism and related issues that make things easy for abusive people to slip into things. I also think that 90% of the western journalists hungrily trying to claim that a woman making public posts and going out to dinner with friends is secretly 'missing' don't actually care about her and probably have written about how we need to support whichever rapist they supported last election so maybe they can focus on that issue.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I was looking up some articles about Russia and saw something by the Atlantic Council. I have no idea what the piece actually said because I couldn’t stop laughing at what popped up on my phone.

Come on!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lostconfused posted:

America sure, but this is the first time I am hearing anything about Europe.

The only context I've seen EU mentioned in is jobs and money. As in people want to go to Europe so they can take their money, but I've never heard about admiring.

St petersburg? Wealth is the attraction yes, but bias is bias?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Femur posted:

St petersburg?

In what context, as a tourist trap?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean it would be logical to try to start pivoting to that now but its not going to happen because of the idiots in power now. 20 or 30 years from now though, who knows. I dont think millenials or zoomers are going to be giving a gently caress

To be pessimistic, millenials and zoomers will just gobble up propaganda about how russia and china are fascist totalitarian authoritarianian ultranationalists who lust for the death of democracy instead.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Carlson is right that it makes strategic sense for the US to ally with Russia against China. Russia and China are two very different countries with a history of conflict.

The US won the Cold War because they reached an agreement with a communist China that both will work together against the USSR. It doesn't seem wild to propose that a capitalist Russia work with the US against China.

The good news is that it seems the US is too aggressive and arrogant to really pull it off.

The American oligarchy is completely poisoned by Russophobia and would never accept Russia as an equal partner on the world stage, even if they do share values it would have to be as a vassal state like UK and Australia.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also don't forget a fair size of our MIC literally believe that Russia and China are teaming up to do...bad stuff...just general bond villain poo poo

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

if you don’t mind being permabanned you should just keep replying with Greyjoy quotes about believing women…sometimes

NGL was considering doing that but stirring poo poo doesn't work out well.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Carlson is right that it makes strategic sense for the US to ally with Russia against China. Russia and China are two very different countries with a history of conflict.

He probably just wants it for white nationalist/clash of civilizations/Nazbol reasons though

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cao Ni Ma posted:

i personally believe this will come down to how much trade is done between russia and usa vs russia and china and correct if im wrong but i think there a whole lot more trade and economic ties going on between russia and china

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Dec 8, 2021

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious posted:

NGL was considering doing that but stirring poo poo doesn't work out well.

congrats on the Chad CCP liker av for having correct opinions in the face of the d&d libs

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Agrajag posted:

i personally believe this will come down to how much trade is done between russia and usa vs russia and china and correct if im wrong but i think there a whole lot more trade and economic ties going on between russia and china

14% of Russia exports go to and 20% of their come from China; since Russian exports are significantly higher than imports they are one of the few countries with a trade surplus with the PRC

Total EU trade is higher but Russian-US trade is fairly minimal. It is probably why there is an effort by DC to drive a wedge between Russia, and the EU while the EU is worried about being eclipsed by China in terms of trade. It is why Nordstream 2 is a bigger issue than just Ukraine.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Dec 8, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Agrajag posted:

All I know is that when I go to buy cheap electronics from aliexpress there's a bunch of reviews from russians.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/geoffpilkington/status/1468675522531979264

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChinaLawTransl8/status/1468669776402829316

this unironically sounds like the lib position on amazon lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

congrats on the Chad CCP liker av for having correct opinions in the face of the d&d libs

Thx, it was a nice gift by a mysterious stranger.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the white house spokeswoman: sending a test to every household? for free? lol. lmao. what world do you live in?

china: alright let's do weather manipulation

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

14% of Russia exports go to and 20% of their come from China; since Russian exports are significantly higher than imports they are one of the few countries with a trade surplus with the PRC

Total EU trade is higher but Russian-US trade is fairly minimal. It is probably why there is an effort by DC to drive a wedge between Russia, and the EU while the EU is worried about being eclipsed by China in terms of trade. It is why Nordstream 2 is a bigger issue than just Ukraine.

Yeah, one of the functions a hostile Russia serves is to keep the EU in line. Following the US line leaves a lot of money on the table, from Iran sanctions to Huawei.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I think Bush 2, Obama, and Trump all started their administrations saying they would repair US relations with Russia and by the time they left relations were worse than ever.

You all remember the reset button

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

oh absolutely, just from the physical distance alone it makes a whole lot more sense to trade with china than the US. Most of the trade that would open up to russia in this case isn't going to be directly from the US, its going to be with europe once we start dropping sanctions

Still, I dont see Russia abandoning ties with China. It'll be mostly lip service and neutrality. A stop of joint exercises, weapons agreements for the ability to trade more openly with europe and sell more weapons to chinese neighbors.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
big grats to the perfidious Han for joining us Jews in 'controls the weather' as a conspiracy about them. Gettin big leagues now, fellas!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

big grats to the perfidious Han for joining us Jews in 'controls the weather' as a conspiracy about them. Gettin big leagues now, fellas!

It's such an absurd lie, there's been no fuel for my weather machine for at least 2 years due to the supply chain breakdown.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChinaLawTransl8/status/1468669776402829316

this unironically sounds like the lib position on amazon lol

cancel prime and pay for shipping, as a form of protest you see

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

oh absolutely, just from the physical distance alone it makes a whole lot more sense to trade with china than the US. Most of the trade that would open up to russia in this case isn't going to be directly from the US, its going to be with europe once we start dropping sanctions

Still, I dont see Russia abandoning ties with China. It'll be mostly lip service and neutrality. A stop of joint exercises, weapons agreements for the ability to trade more openly with europe and sell more weapons to chinese neighbors.

The Russian government also knows that the US will always be a bigger threat to them than the PRC and it is why backing off from Chinese relations too much will always be a non starter since they need China to slowly push the US out of the picture while reinforcing India as a counter-weight.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

thatfatkid posted:

That's the new one, this was the one D&D gave him for saying he believed Peng Shuai lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/584838-chinas-economic-clay-feet

China weak

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ardennes posted:

In what context, as a tourist trap?

Yeah the city they built to impress the europeans. My old french company sends us there for training.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You all should stop posting in D&D.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1468730605651529729

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
All the countries who are boycotting are currently committing genocides that are actually killing people.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
bipartisanship ftw

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/house-passes-bill-to-punish-china-over-oppression-of-uyghurs

quote:

U.S. House Passes Bill to Punish China Over Oppression of Uyghurs

Daniel Flatly December 8, 2021, 3:54 PM PST
The U.S. House passed legislation designed to punish China for its treatment of Uyghur Muslims in the country’s Xinjiang province, a move that is sure to anger Beijing and add to rising tension between the world’s two largest economies.

The 428-1 vote on the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act demonstrated the broad, bipartisan sentiment in Congress for the U.S. taking a harder line against China. A similar measure has already passed in the Senate.

“The People’s Republic of China is waging a brutal campaign of repression against the Uyghur people and other minorities with mass incarceration, torture and forced labor,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said during a news conference Wednesday before the vote. “With these bills, the House is combating this horrific situation and shining a light on Beijing’s abuse.”

The House action follows a White House announcement earlier this week that the U.S. will engage in a “diplomatic boycott” of the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing by refusing to send an official delegation to the event over human rights concerns.

The House was also slated to take up two additional measures related to the Uyghur Muslims, including a resolution expressing the view of the House that the International Olympic Committee “failed to adhere to its own human rights commitments” in the Peng Shuai case and a resolution that asserts genocide is occurring in Xinjiang and asks for a UN investigation of the matter.

The legislation that will have the biggest impact by far is the forced labor bill, which was introduced in the House by Representatives Jim McGovern, a Massachusetts Democrat, and Chris Smith, a New Jersey Republican, and has 111 co-sponsors.

“Many products used every day by people all over our country, including clothing, food, and shoes, are made using forced labor,” McGovern said. “The imperative to act is clear.”

The bill would require the U.S Department of Homeland Security to create a list of entities that collaborate with the Chinese government in the repression of the Uyghurs, a predominately Muslim ethnic minority, in Xinjiang, as well as other groups. The bill contains a “rebuttable presumption” clause that assumes all goods coming from Xinjiang are made with forced labor unless the commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection gives an exception.

Read More: Canada Joins U.S., U.K. in Diplomatic Boycott of Beijing Games

The latest in global politicsGet insight from reporters around the world in the Balance of Power newsletter.
“Some people are going to say, ‘Oh my gosh, if we don’t do business with Xinjiang, the cost of products go up,’” Democratic Representative Tom Suozzi of New York, one of the bill’s co-sponsors, said in a statement. “Well, that’s too drat bad. This should shock everyone’s conscience. The United States must stand up for its values and make it clear that we will not be complicit in the internment and forced labor of Uyghur Muslims.”

The vote came despite what Senator Jeff Merkley, an Oregon Democrat and sponsor of the Senate version of the legislation, said was “hesitancy” from the Biden administration. He said last month that it stemmed from concerns about “critical supply chains and the ability to clearly establish what material goods have been tainted by forced labor.”

However last week, with support for the measure rising in Congress, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the administration supports the Uyghur human rights legislation and was not lobbying against it.

Senator Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican and one of the Senate sponsors of the bill, said he was happy the House was acting but that he worried jurisdictional issues could slow down the bill’s progress in the Senate.

“They’re passing a bill that they know has had, in the past, jurisdictional problems in the Senate,” Rubio said during an American Compass event at Hillsdale College Wednesday. “My sense is, even as they pass that today and I’m glad they’re taking action, they’re doing it in a way that helps those who are trying to keep this from becoming law.”

Senate Next

The Senate would either have to take up the House bill or work out a compromise between the two measures before the bill could be sent to President Joe Biden for a signature. With the end of the year rapidly approaching and a host of other measures competing for Congress’s attention, including addressing the debt ceiling and passing Biden’s signature Build Back Better legislation, the chances of getting something done before the end of the year are rapidly diminishing.

China regularly hits back at the genocide accusations leveled by the U.S. government and lawmakers in other nations. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian last week called allegations of forced labor in Xinjiang “a lie” and said the bill “is pure political manipulation with the intention to undermine Xinjiang’s stability and development under the pretext of human rights.”

— With assistance by Billy House

who is the lone cowboy ?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/politics/biden-putin-us-troops/index.html

quote:

But he said the US would not dispatch its own forces to protect Ukraine, a stance that US officials have previously ruled out as well.

"That is not on the table," he said. "We have a moral obligation and a legal obligation to our NATO allies if they were to attack under Article 5, that's a sacred obligation. That obligation does not extend to ... Ukraine."

"We hope by Friday we'll be able to say, to announce to you that we're having meetings at a higher level, not just with us but with at least four major NATO allies and Russia, to discuss the future of Russia's concerns relative to NATO writ large and whether or not we can work out any accommodations when it comes to bringing down the temperature along the eastern front," he said.

Is this the pivot?

lmao this is the poo poo I heard about Russia in the 90s.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Dec 9, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i wish california would try cloud seeding so all the trees didn't have to burn down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sorry doing stuff is communism now and strictly banned