Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I did like Rose Red despite it falling into a lot of his tropes like the magical autistic person. It was a fun show though with the house constantly rebuilding itself to screw with the inhabitants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont know if I'd want to see a full movie of it but I've always wanted to see an inversion of the plot where ghosts aren't real and the Ghostbusters are legitimately deliberate dangerous conmen instead of well-meaning dangerous borderline conmen

Wouldn't even need to change venkman's character for it to work

You should watch Los Espookys. It's not quite that but its great reverse ghostbusters any how

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Surely some part of his memory loss is from getting mowed down by that van in the 90s.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I did like Rose Red despite it falling into a lot of his tropes like the magical autistic person. It was a fun show though with the house constantly rebuilding itself to screw with the inhabitants.

They actually made a sequel but like a lot of King TV movies I’ve never seen it sober so couldn’t recommend.

Nancy Travis is pretty good in the first one though for sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

Ben's wife occasionally works as a prostitute, but then they are destitute so that's hardly unbelievable. He's offered a hooker to keep him company after he gets selected for the show but declines. And he has a moment of anger when the rich woman he kidnaps starts complaining about her petty problems, but that's just a thought and he never acts on it. That's it, really. There's no time for anything else.

There's also the bit where he's taking the tests before the game and one of the test givers is a woman wearing a see-through top and tiny pants that leave nothing to the imagination.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You should watch Los Espookys. It's not quite that but its great reverse ghostbusters any how

People should watch Los Espookys because it is great.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IT is full of sexual stuff concerning children that is deeply disturbing and absolutely none of it has anything to do with Pennywise the Dancing Clown

Perhaps humans are the real monsters?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Randal posted:

Pretty sure this was one of his last coke books before he had to get clean to be functional. One soon after was written entirely in a blackout

Edit: that was Tommyknockers, although It, Dark Tower 2, and Misery were written right before it and they're all top ten

Tommyknockers apparently King didn't realise how apropos a metaphor for addiction it was til it was pointed out to him.

oldpainless posted:

IT is full of sexual stuff concerning children that is deeply disturbing and absolutely none of it has anything to do with Pennywise the Dancing Clown

That is kinda the theme, probably. All the repression and denial of small town America is hosed up enough that it barely even takes a supernatural abomination taking mind-bending forms to drive people over the edge.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

Pennywise was a symptom.

The underlying cause was a fracture in the beams from something something, have you read the Dork Tower?

Big rear end spider.

Spider in the sink, daaaady

What's that pubescent daughter?

Nothing

I worry about you, I worry a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A6Bu96ALOw

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It's a huge copout that King was just like, metaverse.

Big rear end turtle.

Where does the turtle stand?

Turtles all the way down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just to be clear, IT is a great book and if you can get past the more problematic elements of a child sex train, pedophilia, sexual assault, racism, child abuse, spousal abuse, child murder, adultery, fat-shaming, slut-shaming, vigilante justice, homophobia, psychopathy, Stockholm syndrome, racial violence, and spiders I think you’ll really enjoy yourself.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Damnit, I'm in

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They actually made a sequel but like a lot of King TV movies I’ve never seen it sober so couldn’t recommend.

Nancy Travis is pretty good in the first one though for sure.

Yeah, she was great. She's generally good at playing "Crazy"/manic. She had a lot of fun in So I Married an Axe Murderer as well. She was probably the best part of that movie.

And I did see The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer. It had it's moments but retconned a few things it seemed. By the end of the movie I was just like "Oh god Ellen, take Zukeena and kill your husband already, he's such a TWAT!"

In the original series I did love Emery though, he was the worst person but played well. I loved that he didn't let the ghosts get to him at first because he was so used to seeing them and could recognise when they were just visions and dismiss them, although of course Rose Red started using that against him. I liked his early catchphrase "Save the warnings for someone who's not broke, OK?"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Dec 9, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, she was great. She's generally good at playing "Crazy"/manic. She had a lot of fun in So I Married an Axe Murderer as well. She was probably the best part of that movie.

And I did see The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer. It had it's moments but retconned a few things it seemed. By the end of the movie I was just like "Oh god Ellen, take Zukeena and kill your husband already, he's such a TWAT!"

In the original series I did love Emery though, he was the worst person but played well. I loved that he didn't let the ghosts get to him at first because he was so used to seeing them and could recognise when they were just visions and dismiss them, although of course Rose Red started using that against him. I liked his early catchphrase "Save the warnings for someone who's not broke, OK?"

Good to know we're on the same page.

You don't see Matt Ross in a lot of things but his face just grabs you if you're watching Silicon Valley. Or American Horror Story.

I still love So I Married an Axe Murderer, even though Myers was a bit too much. But Travis was--well great. And the movie as a whole, holds up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Good to know we're on the same page.

You don't see Matt Ross in a lot of things but his face just grabs you if you're watching Silicon Valley. Or American Horror Story.

I still love So I Married an Axe Murderer, even though Myers was a bit too much. But Travis was--well great. And the movie as a whole, holds up.

I think the best scene in So I Married an Axe Murderer is the Honeymoon Chair. It's so wonderfully chaotic, Mike trying desperately to escape a wild mob bundling him and Nancy into a 2-seater and carrying them to their honeymoon suite and as far as he knows, his eventual death. I also love the scared bellboy later in the scene where Mike's like "Do you want to come in for a nightcap?" "I'm really not supposed to...." "*Panicked* JUST COME IN FOR A FUCKIN DRINK!" in his desperation to not be left alone with his wife.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's a huge copout that King was just like, metaverse.

Big rear end turtle.

Where does the turtle stand?

Turtles all the way down.

My favorite weird detail about IT is that the turtle dies in the 1970s and no explanation is given for how or why or of what consequences for the universe might follow from that. Also Pennywise’s real name is Bob Gray, with no explanation given as to why he would have a real name or really understand why people would have names.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bob Gray is also a very 'alien being taking Human McHumanoid' kind of name, too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like how the Hulu animaniacs series used IT as a device to explore the characters, because in their skit with a Pennywise parody Dot and Wakko were able to clown on him due to their narcissism and gluttony being unaffected by his mindgames, but Yakko was actually in trouble because the thing he was poking at with HIM was his need to have people give him a reaction- without an audience to react to his goofing he got really antsy and uncomfortable as not!Pennywise just sat there stonewalling everything he did. He only got out of it because Wakko and Dot found him and gave him someone to bounce off.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tommyknockers apparently King didn't realise how apropos a metaphor for addiction it was til it was pointed out to him.

It also stands up really well as a metaphor for watching all of the people you know turn into conservatives, which is pretty appropriate given when it was written.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I like how the Hulu animaniacs series used IT as a device to explore the characters, because in their skit with a Pennywise parody Dot and Wakko were able to clown on him due to their narcissism and gluttony being unaffected by his mindgames, but Yakko was actually in trouble because the thing he was poking at with HIM was his need to have people give him a reaction- without an audience to react to his goofing he got really antsy and uncomfortable as not!Pennywise just sat there stonewalling everything he did. He only got out of it because Wakko and Dot found him and gave him someone to bounce off.

That was an interesting one but it was also the explanation for why there wouldn't be any non Warner bits. So we find out no more Goodfeathers because of this guy! Or because they couldn't be arsed to bring back anything but Pinky and the Brain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That was an interesting one but it was also the explanation for why there wouldn't be any non Warner bits. So we find out no more Goodfeathers because of this guy! Or because they couldn't be arsed to bring back anything but Pinky and the Brain.

I thought that the explanation for that was the Chicken Boo skit where it turned out that the Hunter trying to capture the warners was Chicken Boo after capturing all the other characters, pissed that he alone didn't get a call to be in the new show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought that the explanation for that was the Chicken Boo skit where it turned out that the Hunter trying to capture the warners was Chicken Boo after capturing all the other characters, pissed that he alone didn't get a call to be in the new show.

Yeah I must be conflating the two. Chicken Boo was not Pennywise? It's been a while.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah I must be conflating the two. Chicken Boo was not Pennywise? It's been a while.

No he was a random hunter parody in an entirely different skit. He had every other character mounted and at the end of the skit they escaped, so they've left room to bring them back if they feel like.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

No he was a random hunter parody in an entirely different skit. He had every other character mounted and at the end of the skit they escaped, so they've left room to bring them back if they feel like.

It's funny because when the show originally aired I was a kid and wasn't allowed to see Goodfellas so Goodfeathers was an enigma to me.

Was hoping for an update but that may be in the works.

Just wanted to see an updated version of making GBS threads on Scorcese's head.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Watching The Bells of St. Mary's was pretty uncomfortable, despite enjoying Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman, due to some pristine medical misogyny on display. Oh gee, the x-ray shows this woman has active tuberculosis. Better not discuss it with the patient; she is a woman after all. Lets discuss it with her male boss instead so he can make decisions about her medical treatment for her. Let's definitely not tell a person who works directly with children in a school that they have TB! It might upset her delicate feminine emotional state!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The crazy thing is it used to be standard practice to not tell people they had a serious illness because they thought the outlook would be slightly better if the person did not get upset. No one told Babe Ruth he was dying of cancer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Isn't that like the whole plot of The Farewell?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

rodbeard posted:

The crazy thing is it used to be standard practice to not tell people they had a serious illness because they thought the outlook would be slightly better if the person did not get upset. No one told Babe Ruth he was dying of cancer.

George Wallace ran into term limits in Alabama, so he got his wife to run for governor to circumvent that in 1966. Lurleen Wallace was suffering from cancer at that time. She was diagnosed in 1961, but because didn't find out until a 1965 doctor's appointment. One of George's aides slipped up and mentioned he had discussed it with them long before.

Lurleen Wallace died in office in 1968.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Buttchocks posted:

Watching The Bells of St. Mary's was pretty uncomfortable, despite enjoying Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman, due to some pristine medical misogyny on display. Oh gee, the x-ray shows this woman has active tuberculosis. Better not discuss it with the patient; she is a woman after all. Lets discuss it with her male boss instead so he can make decisions about her medical treatment for her. Let's definitely not tell a person who works directly with children in a school that they have TB! It might upset her delicate feminine emotional state!

This was kind of a thing in Mad Men too wasn't it. Betty Draper didn't have much agency and I think the doctor discussed things with Don and not her iirc.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RC and Moon Pie posted:

George Wallace ran into term limits in Alabama, so he got his wife to run for governor to circumvent that in 1966. Lurleen Wallace was suffering from cancer at that time. She was diagnosed in 1961, but because didn't find out until a 1965 doctor's appointment. One of George's aides slipped up and mentioned he had discussed it with them long before.

Lurleen Wallace died in office in 1968.

Wait - Lurleen is actually a real name and not just a stupid fake name made up by the Simpsons to make fun of Southerners?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That's also part of the plot of insipid movie Love Story (love means never having to say you're sorry, that one). The female lead gets - I think it's cancer, and her doctor discusses it with her husband and they decide whether or not to tell her about it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Big Bang Theory is wild in that since a lot of the jokes are predicated on consumer culture so the nerds are all using cutting edge laptops and phones of 2008 and on. Blue-screened flip phones and itty bitty but chunky iphones are all over the place, and their XPS and Alienware laptops all look like fisher price toys

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Calaveron posted:

Big Bang Theory is wild in that since a lot of the jokes are predicated on consumer culture so the nerds are all using cutting edge laptops and phones of 2008 and on. Blue-screened flip phones and itty bitty but chunky iphones are all over the place, and their XPS and Alienware laptops all look like fisher price toys

There was a scene in the flashback episode where Leonard and Sheldon first meet where Sheldon is seen using a PDA.

Note: that episode also shows why the elevator is broken.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Note: that episode also shows why the elevator is broken.

Go on?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Basically, Leonard built a bomb out of things he nicked from the uni and it went off on the elevator shaft.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Basically, Leonard built a bomb out of things he nicked from the uni and it went off on the elevator shaft.

That is the most boring explanation possible, aka pretty much what I’d expect from the Big Bang Theory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope it at least ended in a Simpsons esque frantic game of hot potato.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also, if I remember rightly, it's why he is still friends with Sheldon.

Because Sheldon never narced on him. So he feels guilty. So he continues to put up with/coddles/enables one of the biggest fuckwits to ever be portrayed on television.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

pentyne posted:

On the subject of Lolita that's pretty great example of media not aging well for a different reason. Pretty sure the popular perception of it became the oversexed child who seduces a upstanding man and gets him in trouble, which was popular because it was used as the defense of a lot of adult men as their excuse for trying similar things.

Some of that is obviously because of the movies (holy poo poo those posters would never be allowed now) but it speaks more to how people want to see it despite the actual text.

So I guess I'll ask here because maybe it's related, though Eye of the Tiger is a banger that has aged incredibly well.

But the music video, they're walking around a very adult area of, I think, San Francisco, looking super serious. A bunch of signs like "live nudes!" and stuff throughout the music video. Two minutes and thirty seconds into the music video a white sign behind them says "Lolita" and "topless"

So I always thought, "the gently caress was going on in San Francisco in 82?" But really, what is up with that? Now I'm thinking maybe it's referring to the movie? I never saw it, but would that make sense for an adult district of SF in the 80s to be showing that movie or something?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lolita is still a fairly common diminutive name in latin america for girls named dolores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That is kinda the theme, probably. All the repression and denial of small town America is hosed up enough that it barely even takes a supernatural abomination taking mind-bending forms to drive people over the edge.

I skipped over Tommyknockers bc every Stephen King fan said it was terrible but nowadays I think pretty much all fans are dumb as poo poo so I should probably give it a chance