Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

I had one big problem with it, but it was very, very good outside of that.

these kinds of posts suck because they set expectations worse than any spoiler could tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Space Flower posted:

i saw the last ep of death note like that though it was after reading the manga

people rag on s2 but that last ep is a banger

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
happy birthday, to yuri sakazaki

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Aurora posted:

these kinds of posts suck because they set expectations worse than any spoiler could tbh

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen any others in the main FFXIV thread saying that they had the same problem as me, so it's entirely probable your own experience will be different.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goddamn, I don't follow him but apparently Toei just obliterated Totally Not Mark with 150 youtube copyright strikes all at once:
https://twitter.com/TotallyNotMark/status/1468291813580619788

I guess he got just big enough to become a blip on their radar, and so they launched all the missiles to end him. this poo poo's even trending on twitter, which I guess is pretty cool for TNM, but it still super sucks that they're doing this poo poo again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Bumgae_/status/1457392140808450048

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

jojo owns

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

shut up bitch

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

who is mark

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Patware posted:

who is mark
no, they're totally not mark

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the plot thickens

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished dynazenon tonight and read the tls of all the audio dramas. liked it

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
That PS1 Lain game that got hosted up online is very different from the series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tahts the idea, it's a multimedia project so every version is different

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Ah. Learn something every day.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blank Construct posted:

Ah. Learn something every day.

Lain something every day

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I know that there's a connection between the seasons but I wish that there was more of a callback to the previous series in Jojo. Like Koichi appeared at the beginning of Golden Wind but that's it?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 8, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is jotaro not enough

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would recommend, finishing part 5

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

i would recommend, finishing part 5

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

finished dynazenon tonight and read the tls of all the audio dramas. liked it

I found the character drama to be less ambitious and ultimately less impactful, but it ended up being much better paced than gridman basically being 6 episodes long.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're different stories that share elements imo. i wouldn't directly compare gridman and dynazenon in the end because they take different tacks with different characters, i think if i'd expected gridman i'd have been disappointed but i just went in expecting a modern take on an old school combining super robot anime and had a fun time with that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

explicitly linking them maybe a bit of disservice

even if the stupid triple combined robot is some of the coolest animation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf theyre barely explicitly linked, gridknight is a b-list character in gridman and c-list one in dynazenon. narratively his purpose is the same as when a precure from a previous season shows up in a precure movie. or more appropriately, kamen rider teamups.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't have much expectation going into gridmam or dyna, avfriend just suggested I check the former out since I watched ultraman as a kid and would like akane

Its less dyna doesn't succeed at what it does and more that it interests me less

hosed up that azurlane lets you cuck yomogi though

Endorph posted:

tbf theyre barely explicitly linked, gridknight is a b-list character in gridman and c-list one in dynazenon. narratively his purpose is the same as when a precure from a previous season shows up in a precure movie. or more appropriately, kamen rider teamups.

I thought it was a nice little coda showing some growth for the returning two.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I know that there's a connection between the seasons but I wish that there was more of a callback to the previous series in Jojo. Like Koichi appeared at the beginning of Golden Wind but that's it?

It's truly a missed opportunity that Dio forgot all of his vampire powers aside from healing by part 3.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

It's truly a missed opportunity that Dio forgot all of his vampire powers aside from healing by part 3.

People speculate his powers were weakened with Jonathan's body passively resisting him

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

stands are just better than space ripper stingy eyes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

People speculate his powers were weakened with Jonathan's body passively resisting him

yeah but what about when he took joseph's blood and got buffed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the fan theory that dio's stand is every currently active joestar stnad. he fucks with joseph's photograph that one time, he can heal. therefore star platinum was always able to stop time, dio just found out about it before jotaro did. unfortunately this also means the healing was forgotten too because in that context hed just be using crazy diamond (since josuke developed it during part 3 when he was like 4)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i think the currently accepted theory is the world is dios stand and hermit purple #2 (and yes the fans do call it that) is johnathans stand. which makes it weird that 2 different joestars have the exact same stand but i guess no matter what answer you pick for this question something doesnt add up lol

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I mean he was pretty handily winning there until he got time stopped, why would he need to freeze jotaro too

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plutonis posted:

Perhaps the body needed the joestar blood specifically for the buff thus making it much more niche

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dynazenon was perfectly nice and inoffensive and wonderfully produced, but even trying to make sure I wasn't just going in expecting Gridman Again it wound up failing to hook me so utterly that I wound up dropping it before the ending. Yomogi is a Perfectly Nice Lad but I thought he was too plain to carry much emotional weight as the protagonist of a show driven heavily by character drama.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, the next series (or possibly movie, I’ve heard conflicting reports) is apparently going to be a crossover between the two.

They mentioned something a little while back about releasing more info at the TsubuCon replacement event this winter:

Edit: December 13 to be exact:

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/3104

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 9, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Dynazenon was perfectly nice and inoffensive and wonderfully produced, but even trying to make sure I wasn't just going in expecting Gridman Again it wound up failing to hook me so utterly that I wound up dropping it before the ending. Yomogi is a Perfectly Nice Lad but I thought he was too plain to carry much emotional weight as the protagonist of a show driven heavily by character drama.

well you see it's an ensemble not 'yomogi is the only emotional weight'

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ensemble nature feels a bit weak until closer to the end tbh, Chise and Koyomi are still stiffed overall and they don't do a whole lot with the Eugenicists either (this mainly impacts Sizumu and Mujina who actually gesture to having arcs or things to say)

that's my actual complaint with it, especially when it felt like you have too many unimpressive battles and superfluous Gridman characters taking their cuts from a given episode. but the formula is the formula, the fanservice is the fanservice.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

he's better than yuta lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aurora posted:

well you see it's an ensemble not 'yomogi is the only emotional weight'

I mean yes, but Yomogi is our primary viewpoint into the ensemble and has disproportionate responsibilities as result of that. Like, his romance with Yume is a pretty key part of her arc and it's kind of held back IMO by the fact that Yomogi's contribution to the relationship dynamic is mostly just "is nice."

And, I mean, there's nothing *wrong* with that, it's nice to be nice, but there's just.....not that much to it IMO? I kept waiting for him to get some more complexity as a character and it never arrived.

Elephant Parade posted:

he's better than yuta lol

Yeah and Gridman's big twist was (spoilers I guess?) that the show was never ever actually about Yuta anyway