Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

call me michael mcdonald and james ingram, cause llamo be there

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker

more falafel please posted:

same with the scales in the astrological sign. also "liberty"

scales yes, but 'liberty' seems to have a different etymology: https://www.etymonline.com/word/liberty

more falafel please

forums poster

ChubbyChecker posted:

scales yes, but 'liberty' seems to have a different etymology: https://www.etymonline.com/word/liberty

well hell and drat, learn somethign every day

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Gramps

Cardi BYOB posted:

Llama need y'all to be good.

Guanaco down to the store and get some freezy pops?

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Cardi BYOB posted:

Llama need y'all to be good.

you woold

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Hello, I went on a posting hiatus to play final fantasy and to charge up my posting chi so I don't make dried out and rank posts. Still recharging, tonight I'm gonna go out and get some tostones and empanadas.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Escape From Noise

Fahrenheit is better for outside temperature because 0 is super cold but it happens and 100 is super hot but it happens. for Celsius normal temperatures are like -17 to 37

As someone who's switched over to Celsius after moving to Japan I don't understand this argument at all.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hello friends, and "Happy" Holidays! In about one hour, at 4pm pst 7pm est, we're gonna watch the worst Xmas movie I've ever seen- it's The Night They Saved Christmas, a 1984 TV movie with Art Carney as the most pedantic Santa Claus imaginable. Peeee-yu!

Bring your riffing goggles because shredded video tape will fly! Plus, special surprises! And shorts start at the half hour!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gramps posted:

Guanaco down to the store and get some freezy pops?

Sure vicuña loan me a few bucks? Gotta pay the light bill this week.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

How Wonderful! posted:

Hello, I went on a posting hiatus to play final fantasy and to charge up my posting chi so I don't make dried out and rank posts. Still recharging, tonight I'm gonna go out and get some tostones and empanadas.

Hi we love you enjoy your tostones and empanadas!!!!!

Escape From Noise

I am so sick of hearing Christmas music! Arg! A few years ago you'd just hear All I Want For Christmas Is You, Last Christmas, and possibly the Christmas song that shall remain unnamed, but now it's all the "classics" back to back in the stores and sometimes at work and I'm going crazy! Christmas is still weeks away!

Prof. Crocodile

Escape From Noise posted:

I am so sick of hearing Christmas music! Arg! A few years ago you'd just hear All I Want For Christmas Is You, Last Christmas, and possibly the Christmas song that shall remain unnamed, but now it's all the "classics" back to back in the stores and sometimes at work and I'm going crazy! Christmas is still weeks away!

sounds like you're simply having a miserable christmas

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
Hey Christmas orbs! I hear there's a discord server where all the cool postin pals hangout and I, as a cool person, should be part of that so PMs to the left please :allears:

https://giant.gfycat.com/FragrantGorgeousLeech.mp4
Spring masterpiece courtesy of Prof. Crocodile, thanks!

Stoner Sloth

Rarity posted:

The reason you think Fahrenheit makes more sense is because you're used to it but seriously water freezes at 32 degrees? Wtf is this bullshit get outta here

it's this - i used to have to use both (and kelvin and rankine which is just hosed) a bit and there is exactly zero situations where fahrenheit makes more sense

all it means is that the range you'd say is comfortable is a different range, one that actually lines up to measurable stuff rather than someone's personal wheeze

and it's like this with every measurement really - metric is all now based on in principle measurable physical stuff, and uses consistent base ten maths - i get that being unfamiliar with the system might make it less intuitive to you but there really isn't another reason to use it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is metric vs. Imperial the hot button issue which will finally destroy byob?!

no because however you choose to measure it, yobbers are all great and chill and the best posting pals - ilu orbs!

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is metric vs. Imperial the hot button issue which will finally destroy byob?!

gently caress this unit poo poo, I'm outta here!

cruft

cruft posted:

gently caress this unit poo poo, I'm outta here!

I made spaghetti for dinner. And I don't want to be late to my own meal.

biosterous

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hello friends, and "Happy" Holidays! In about one hour, at 4pm pst 7pm est, we're gonna watch the worst Xmas movie I've ever seen- it's The Night They Saved Christmas, a 1984 TV movie with Art Carney as the most pedantic Santa Claus imaginable. Peeee-yu!

Bring your riffing goggles because shredded video tape will fly! Plus, special surprises! And shorts start at the half hour!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

santa's jobs:
fashion designer
chocolatier
scientist
engineer
marriage counselor
time wizard
oil deposit surveyor

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Robot Made of Meat

Stoner Sloth posted:

it's this - i used to have to use both (and kelvin and rankine which is just hosed) a bit and there is exactly zero situations where fahrenheit makes more sense

all it means is that the range you'd say is comfortable is a different range, one that actually lines up to measurable stuff rather than someone's personal wheeze

and it's like this with every measurement really - metric is all now based on in principle measurable physical stuff, and uses consistent base ten maths - i get that being unfamiliar with the system might make it less intuitive to you but there really isn't another reason to use it

no because however you choose to measure it, yobbers are all great and chill and the best posting pals - ilu orbs!

Well, it's not just the range -- it's the size of a degree. For non-scientific uses, a degree faherenheit is a good quantum unit. A degree celcius is too big -- so most thermostats and thermometers using C go by half-degrees (which roughly correspond to one degree F).

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Escape From Noise

Having worked in an American and a Japanese brewery, metric system reigns supreme. Figuring out ratios between solids and liquids is much easier. Also, WTF is a barrel? (Barrel volume actually depends on what liquid you're measuring. For some reason a barrel of beer, whiskey, wine, oil, etc. are all varying volumes.) Also Celsius is a lot more precise.

Also metric is the tool of The Devil and Satan is cool as Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnwx10DT9o

Escape From Noise

Can anyone really tell the difference between 60 and 61 Fahrenheit? I mean, even if you can, then you just get used to the point five degrees in Celsius. I don't know. I moved here and got used to using Celsius and I've never understood this argument about Fahrenheit being easier to understand for outside temperatures.

I'm actually so used to using Celsius now that I get confused when I hear Fahrenheit because my brain works like that and I can't switch between things that easily.

Escape From Noise

Your best argument for the imperial system is probably baking.

xcheopis

Also Celsius is a lot more precise.

Only at STP, of course. Not at STP and all bets are off.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

nesamdoom

i love ai pictures

the vandals are the only xmas music i listen to. first time was like 02 and i saw a video of an xmas show and had never heard them before and decided it's the only xmas music worth anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9-eeoLZzc

Having worked in an American and a Japanese brewery, metric system reigns supreme. Figuring out ratios between solids and liquids is much easier. Also, WTF is a barrel? (Barrel volume actually depends on what liquid you're measuring. For some reason a barrel of beer, whiskey, wine, oil, etc. are all varying volumes.) Also Celsius is a lot more precise.

for measuring i'll agree on metric being great, it's the casual application that i guess i prefer imperial for its nearness to guesstimation. also it's kinda nice for volume of consumption, like gently caress I shouldn't have drank a quart and a half of whisky

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I only measure temperature using relative position to the Boltzmann constant. :colbert:

Escape From Noise

I guess, but I don't really use quarts. I guess I'd say a liter or half a liter? Or glasses? I don't know. I still don't get the better for understanding outside temperature thing at all. This morning I woke up and looked at the forecast. It said 10℃, so I put on my lighter jacket over my hoodie and made sure I had my gloves and it worked real well for me?:shrug:

I think it's just what you're surrounded by. Now that I'm surrounded by metric, I just use that.

Escape From Noise

Cardi BYOB posted:

I only measure temperature using relative position to the Boltzmann constant. :colbert:

Where's Boltzmann constantly? Do they not get out at all?

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
While researching puns I learns that the Alpaca species is call Pacos. :ese:

Farecoal

There he go

Oh God even in Japan?

Escape From Noise

Farecoal posted:

Oh God even in Japan?

Yeah. It used to be you just had to suffer through Mariah Carey, Wham, and maybe Paul McCartney sprinkled into the mix, now I go to the grocery store and have to suffer through loving Jingle Bells, The First Noel, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, etc. At least no Little Drummer Boy...yet.

Bad Video Games

Here in DC one of the radio stations switched over to Christmas music 24/7 a week before Thanksgiving. It's sickening.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

O holy night
The stars are fuckin shiiiiiiiiiiniiiiiing

alnilam

Fahrenheit is better for outside temperature because 0 is super cold but it happens and 100 is super hot but it happens. for Celsius normal temperatures are like -17 to 37

I'm a big metric fan but i agree with this, human habitation tends to run in the 0 to 100 F range and it's kinda like having a scale from 0% really cold to 100% really hot and if you go outside of that something is very wrong

I also like to be a nerd about some of the historical origins of a lot of measurements!

Why are depths in fathoms (6 ft)? Because as you coil a rope you count each armspan, appx 6 ft if you're a tall sailor

What the hell is an acre? It's the amount of land one fit person with one ox could farm in one year, using the technology of the time when the acre was invented

A mile was originally one thousand steps (mile, milli, thousand); modern mile is nearly double that :shrug:

Anyway a lot of these things are cool but probably just belong in a museum

alnilam

Honestly metric stuff is plenty arbitrary too but at least its relationships tend to go in 1s and 10s

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

Anyway a lot of these things are cool but probably just belong in a museum

You belong in a museum!

Er, wait. I don't think this is the right script.

Escape From Noise

Cardi BYOB posted:

O holy night
The stars are fuckin shiiiiiiiiiiniiiiiing

Ohdeargodno!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Your best argument for the imperial system is probably baking.
How is it better for baking? Temperature is never used in less than 5F increments so C will do fine. 100 grams is just as easy to weigh as whatever the gently caress that is in ounces. 250ml is just as easy to measure as a quarter-cup or whatever. Tablespoons are maybe more convenient than equivalent volume-or-weight, except they loving mean something different depending where you are (1 UK tbsp ~= 1.2 US tbsp), so it would be better to just have goddamn designated 20ml spoons if that convenience is important.

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

I'm a big metric fan but i agree with this, human habitation tends to run in the 0 to 100 F range and it's kinda like having a scale from 0% really cold to 100% really hot and if you go outside of that something is very wrong

Again though, I think that's how people make sense of a system that's around them. On the flip side, the colder side of Fahrenheit makes very little sense. I see around zero and know it'll be real drat cold.

Celcius was weird for me at first for understanding outside temperature, but then I'd look around and see thermometers showing the temperature in Celsius, the weather forecast was in Celcius, etc. You just sort of adapt I guess. I'm not even a mathematical person, but the increments are just more regular, easier to add, subtract, divide, and multiply. I don't know. I don't mean to sound angry about it or anything, I just seriously do not understand the argument that one is easier for understanding the outside temperature immediately. They're both relatively arbitrary scales, but Celcius is based off the temperature of freezing water. Fahrenheit was too, or ice water, but was more inexact. I mean my air conditioner/heater goes up in increments of 1 degree, as have most of the ones I've used here. It's never been an issue I even considered TBH.

Escape From Noise

roomforthetuna posted:

How is it better for baking? Temperature is never used in less than 5F increments so C will do fine. 100 grams is just as easy to weigh as whatever the gently caress that is in ounces. 250ml is just as easy to measure as a quarter-cup or whatever. Tablespoons are maybe more convenient than equivalent volume-or-weight, except they loving mean something different depending where you are (1 UK tbsp ~= 1.2 US tbsp), so it would be better to just have goddamn designated 20ml spoons if that convenience is important.

Just for measuring ingredients without a scale, apparently. That's more for home cooks than commercial I think. I dunno. Metric slaps, imperial can suck it!

Finger Prince

Ingredients amounts are a total shitshow, particularly non-metric. Volume measurements for everything! A cup of water! A cup of beans! A cup of rice! A cup of flour! A cup of chopped celery! A cup of carrots! A cup of potatoes!
At least if they used weights for non-fluids it would be ok, but recipe makers hate scales or something I dunno.
Like don't pretend to have a precise itemized list when it basically amounts to "some amount of celery, a handful or so of carrots, really up to you". Just put that. Don't assign a value to it.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

bands named after it that feature emily haines:
metric: 1
imperial: none

clear winner here, pack it up

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him