Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Blooster posted:

That's a really bad sign.

I disagree, jury might just want to actually review all evidence again outside of a courtroom which isn't really a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Nice of the judge to give closing arguments for the defence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

B-Rock452 posted:

I disagree, jury might just want to actually review all evidence again outside of a courtroom which isn't really a big deal.

i hope so, twitter seems to think it might be people wanting to have a fuller day to go over it before signing off on it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

these jurors sound like a real bunch of dumb dumbs

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
Oh good, now I have to worry another 18 hours or so that they're going to let a pedophile walk on some technicality. :argh:

Usually I'm the sort that, whenever a vote or trial shows up in the media, I read about it, note down my vote, and then see what the actual result is as a sort of "self-check" to make sure that I considered all of the moving parts and elements. In this case, though, I'm really struggling to see anything I could have missed. It'd be easy to take the "if I'm wrong, it's because he's a religious figure" potshot, but I'm genuinely curious as to what a "not guilty" verdict on this would be. Some minor procedural gently caress-up I guess?

Edit: ⬇️ I guess that's a fair point.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't fault someone for wanting to sleep on it and be super-duper sure before voting to put someone in prison.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yesterdays Latte posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what a "not guilty" verdict on this would be. Some minor procedural gently caress-up I guess?

Juror(s) that didn't understand a bit of the computer stuff, but they saw that both sides had smart-sounding people talking about it, so the only possible conclusion is "who knows?", which means not guilty.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, the longer they deliberate, the better the chances of "not guilty"

Because of "confusing" computer stuff, and also the "maybe it was someone else doing it" that the defense postulated.

Which would be a bad thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

one of the jurors wants more time to examine the evidence :stonk:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

and also the "maybe it was someone else doing it" that the defense postulated

for the jurors, the whole case hinges on this imo

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Yesterdays Latte posted:

Some minor procedural gently caress-up I guess?

The judge's comments certainly leave the impression that the prosecution's case is weak. That's dangerous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
"But what if the guy who admitted to raping his sisters isn't actually a pedophile? We'd better debate this for longer!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lolie posted:

The judge's comments certainly leave the impression that the prosecution's case is weak. That's dangerous.

It's Justin Gelfand not Justice Gelfand. That's the defence attorney.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well thats statistic is comforting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yesterdays Latte posted:

Oh good, now I have to worry another 18 hours or so that they're going to let a pedophile walk on some technicality. :argh:

Usually I'm the sort that, whenever a vote or trial shows up in the media, I read about it, note down my vote, and then see what the actual result is as a sort of "self-check" to make sure that I considered all of the moving parts and elements. In this case, though, I'm really struggling to see anything I could have missed. It'd be easy to take the "if I'm wrong, it's because he's a religious figure" potshot, but I'm genuinely curious as to what a "not guilty" verdict on this would be. Some minor procedural gently caress-up I guess?

Edit: ⬇️ I guess that's a fair point.

I applaud your faith in humanity, but the idea that jurors are all intelligent, thoughtful people who consider all the evidence and understand all the procedures, is totally wrong.

If he walks it will 100% be because the the jurors are equally religiously hosed in the head as the Duggars, or are the sort of idiot who think the Deep State FBI is plotting to falsely imprison proper God-fearing Americans like Josh and President Trump. And those biases pushed them to believe the defense's crappy expert and implausible Ghost Not Me story.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe jurors 100% can be convinced by the "it wasn't me" defense because its very stupid and thats what the average juror is

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It’s gonna be lol as gently caress when Josh walks, goes home and starts mollesting kids.

Actually no, it’s not lol at all. It’s a loving tragedy.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Powered Descent posted:

Juror(s) that didn't understand a bit of the computer stuff, but they saw that both sides had smart-sounding people talking about it, so the only possible conclusion is "who knows?", which means not guilty.

Maybe I missed it but I wish they had explained that Linux is not some elite expert computer expert highly technical thing, Chromebooks, which they are likely aware of being incredibly safe, easy to use machines are in fact Linux devices, that their TV very well may be running some version of Linux, do they really think there is a realistic chance that someone is going to hack into their Roku and download CSAM? It's about as likely, yet, still technically possible as the admitted child rapist just happened to have an elite hacker using their work computer to download CSAM.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Barudak posted:

I believe jurors 100% can be convinced by the "it wasn't me" defense because its very stupid and thats what the average juror is

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, allow me to quote the poet Shaggy

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84phU8of02U

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Three Olives posted:

Maybe I missed it but I wish they had explained that Linux is not some elite expert computer expert highly technical thing, Chromebooks, which they are likely aware of being incredibly safe, easy to use machines are in fact Linux devices, that their TV very well may be running some version of Linux, do they really think there is a realistic chance that someone is going to hack into their Roku and download CSAM? It's about as likely, yet, still technically possible as the admitted child rapist just happened to have an elite hacker using their work computer to download CSAM.

those jurors will never understand any of that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

funeral home DJ posted:

It’s gonna be lol as gently caress when Josh walks, goes home and starts mollesting kids.

Actually no, it’s not lol at all. It’s a loving tragedy.

i mean pretty much. he will molest kids or download way way more csam or way worse. thankfully if he does walk, dudes gonna be on feds radar now and he is never gonna see his loving kids again or be allowed near kids.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

canyoneer posted:

Police came in and they caught me red-handed
Browsin' CSAM using TOR
Picture this, I was bare-rear end naked, jackin' on the showroom floor

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lmao, the Jury system is a loving joke

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Klyith posted:

I applaud your faith in humanity, but the idea that jurors are all intelligent, thoughtful people who consider all the evidence and understand all the procedures, is totally wrong.

If he walks it will 100% be because the the jurors are equally religiously hosed in the head as the Duggars, or are the sort of idiot who think the Deep State FBI is plotting to falsely imprison proper God-fearing Americans like Josh and President Trump. And those biases pushed them to believe the defense's crappy expert and implausible Ghost Not Me story.

During one of the many times I was called to report to jury duty, I never got placed on a trial.

A lady who spent the first part of the morning yelling about how someone in the deli department at the Ralph’s market poisoned her potato salad was called, questioned, and placed on a jury.

It made me realize the reality of a jury system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Lmao, the Jury system is a loving joke

One of my favorite aspects is in Florida you can request technical, civil suits be moved to a jury setting. The jury can then vote that they don't know what the gently caress and move it back to a trained judge, thus wasting literally everyones time

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

yippeekiyaymf posted:

During one of the many times I was called to report to jury duty, I never got placed on a trial.

A lady who spent the first part of the morning yelling about how someone in the deli department at the Ralph’s market poisoned her potato salad was called, questioned, and placed on a jury.

It made me realize the reality of a jury system.

The intrinsic issue with the jury system has always been that the people selected to juries are basically by definition those too stupid to be able to get out of jury duty.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

canyoneer posted:

They caught me out in the jack shack.

It wasn't me!

They found me with some CP.

It wasn't me!

They saw me on the monitor.

It's wasn't me!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CPL593H posted:

They caught me out in the jack shack.

It wasn't me!

They found me with some CP.

It wasn't me!

They saw me on the monitor.

It's wasn't me!

How could I forget that I had
A really lovely password key?
As the feds walked me out I asked
"Is someone downloadin' CP?"

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

A "not guilty" Josh Duggar will be put on the supreme court when Trump is reelected in 2024.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Picture this
I was masturbating
Hope I locked the jack shack door

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Picture this
I was masturbating
Hope I locked the jack shack door

How could I forget that I used my real IP?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's really no scientific formula to know how long deliberations could take. They might be done before lunch tomorrow. Or in a couple weeks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Aardvark! posted:

tremendous lol if he gets away with it. just tremendous. if its a jury of his piers it makes sense if you've ever seen Arkansas honestly

Yeah, I think you're right.

Now a Jury of his wharves is a totally different ball game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's really no scientific formula to know how long deliberations could take. They might be done before lunch tomorrow. Or in a couple weeks.

this. loving murder pig chauvin took like a day and half i think and surprisnly got found guilty.

plus again CP possession again gets like 95+% conviction.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rad-daddio posted:

those jurors will never understand any of that.

Maybe not, but one of the witnesses testified that Josh knew how to set up a Linux partition when he was a teenager.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
So looks like trial losses are <10% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, I think you're right.

Now a Jury of his wharves is a totally different ball game.

I hate how much I love this pun