Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Rugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

persian rugs improve literally any room

okay maybe don't put a persian rug in your bathroom but otherwise

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

persian rugs improve literally any room

okay maybe don't put a persian rug in your bathroom but otherwise

you can put a fake/synthetic Persian rug in there :eng101:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

you can put a fake/synthetic Persian rug in there :eng101:
no. no you cannot

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

no. no you cannot

fake rugs are great for rabbits

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Is the silver AVR phase back again? If so it gives with every 20 years or so. 70s, late 90s..

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

90s were 30 years ago.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Late 90s were not. Thanks for the heart attack though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

77" LG C1 is new. Old stand, old everything else. Speakers are Gradient Revolution Mk3.

I probably need a new amp which understands 4K HDR. Currently using toslink which is not optimal because my PC's software equalizer can't touch encoded audio.

I had a Yamaha RX-V1700 in that family and loved it dearly. You might get a newer and better amp, but it won't feel as good in your heart.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

you have $5k speakers and a $3.6k tv, why not wall mount the TV and get a decent rug?

I like that rug. I don't think it looks cheap, if that's what you're implying.

Wall mounting TVs is not for everyone. IMO, if you're going to have a media center below it anyway, it just looks weird to wall mount the TV behind it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wall mounting TVs is not for everyone. IMO, if you're going to have a media center below it anyway, it just looks weird to wall mount the TV behind it.

It would let you put a record player on top but otherwise Im with you.

Except on the rug, I dont love it. But its not my house.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Those speakers being Mk3 makes sense because they look like the rendered buildings backgrounds from Mortal Kombat 3.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I moved into my own place and finally feel like my living room is about where I want it

It's hard to capture how good the projector looks but it's pretty great, I actually use it more than my LG CX

I still need to move my ceiling panels above my couch since I moved furniture around but overall it honestly sounds great after my Dirac curve. Only issue is I have an extreme 60hz dip that no subwoofer placement can rectify given the dimensions of the room which is like exactly where kick drums are :negative:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What speakers are those? Are they transmission line?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

:ok:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What speakers are those? Are they transmission line?

Theyre MAOP 11s in a cabinet I built. :) They were originally designed to be vented but with the addition of the subwoofers I plugged them and an engineer in Belgium helped me calculate the crossover point with my DSP and mic to take over those frequencies

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

falz posted:

Is the silver AVR phase back again? If so it gives with every 20 years or so. 70s, late 90s..

Yamaha RX-V1800 was released in 2008. I think it was sold in black and silver. The case is Fractal Define R3 and I think it is "titanium" or something like that, fits in quite nicely.

you have $5k speakers and a $3.6k tv, why not wall mount the TV and get a decent rug?

The rug is made from good Two Rivers wool, I say. You can't buy a better rug with any kind of money. It has different hues of red and white and I've had it since 2006.

The TV is too small to wall mount it. I'd need at least a 100-120" screen for wall mounting, in other words a projector. I had a projector but I didn't like it and traded it for a TV.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

falz posted:

Yamaha will still sell you a silver A-Sxxx series amp, but admittedly those are aimed at the kind of guy that probably also owns a vintage silverface 2-channel

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LG 65 B7A
Revel M16 L/R
Revel C25 Center
Onkyo TX-NR737 - 8 years old
Spotify Connect via Nvidia Shield
Google cast via Nvidia Shield
Project Debut Carbon Ortofon 2M Red

My subwoofer died so I am looking for recommendations. Im also shopping for an AVR right now and its going poorly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

LG 65 B7A
Revel M16 L/R
Revel C25 Center

My subwoofer died so I am looking for recommendations. I’m also shopping for an AVR right now and it’s going poorly.

SVS sub

Yamaha AVR

Just find whatevers best in your budget and well work from there.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

SVS sub

Yamaha AVR

Just find whatevers best in your budget and well work from there.

Accessories4less has the SR6015 for $1299 im tempted to pull the trigger.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just ordered an AVR-S760H from A4L today, actually. I have a new TV coming and I wanted something that would support eARC and 4k/120 without spending an absolute fortune.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Check out Rythmik subs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Brain Issues posted:

LG 65 B7A
Revel M16 L/R
Revel C25 Center

My subwoofer died so I am looking for recommendations. Im also shopping for an AVR right now and its going poorly.

RSL Speedwoofer 10S is worth looking at too. Looks like their next shipment will be out in June though.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I returned the Revel M16's and C25 and I'm using my KEF R300's again. The soundstage & bass are so much better on the R300's... not to mention they're just better looking. For $700 though I was really impressed with the M16 sound.

I might be upgrading to R3's soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

I returned the Revel M16's and C25 and I'm using my KEF R300's again. The soundstage & bass are so much better on the R300's... not to mention they're just better looking. For $700 though I was really impressed with the M16 sound.

I might be upgrading to R3's soon.

are you worried about the child pushing in your speaker drivers yet?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

are you worried about the child pushing in your speaker drivers yet?

The fear never goes away. She knows shes not supposed to touch them, and I trust her, but kids are spontaneous little buggers.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Sorry to bring this thread up back from a while but was hoping this was the right place to ask this question.

Just moved into a new house that has a finished basement and we're looking to add in an entertainment area where the previous owners also had one. Nice big wall where I'll probably put a 77" TV (not the question) but I'm not sure how to handle the audio setup.

Turns out there are 4 ceiling speakers (I think they're Klipsch but can double check the actual brand/model) that look like this:

(please excuse my excellent paint skills):

Top down view, blue line is where the TV will be, red are the ceiling speakers. My questions about this:

1. Are the front most ceiling speakers on the "side" or do they act like my front stereo speakers?
2. If not and I end up buying a 3.1 setup, would these ceiling ones mean I have a 7.1 setup? Does the top down firing work sufficiently for surround sound?

Appreciate any and all help.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ceiling speakers are always a compromise for form over function. If you have the budget, I'd use them for Atmos elevation speakers in addition to a set of normal speakers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Sorry to bring this thread up back from a while but was hoping this was the right place to ask this question.

Just moved into a new house that has a finished basement and we're looking to add in an entertainment area where the previous owners also had one. Nice big wall where I'll probably put a 77" TV (not the question) but I'm not sure how to handle the audio setup.

Turns out there are 4 ceiling speakers (I think they're Klipsch but can double check the actual brand/model) that look like this:

(please excuse my excellent paint skills):

Top down view, blue line is where the TV will be, red are the ceiling speakers. My questions about this:

1. Are the front most ceiling speakers on the "side" or do they act like my front stereo speakers?
2. If not and I end up buying a 3.1 setup, would these ceiling ones mean I have a 7.1 setup? Does the top down firing work sufficiently for surround sound?

Appreciate any and all help.

Theres no center channel. You could use them as stereo or ambient speakers or set them up as L+R+SL+SR and bring your own center, but the sound wouldnt be ideal.

My advice would be to use them as atmos or surround speakers and bring a 3.1 or 5.1. You could set the front two up as front height speakers and the back two as rear surrounds or bring a pair of rear surrounds and make the back two rear height speakers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doh004 posted:

When you see something like 7.2.4, the first number refers to regular speakers. Left and right, center, two side/rear surrounds and then two more side/rear surrounds(for whatever position the first pair didn't take).
The second number refers to how many subs.
The last number refers to how many Atmos speakers. Always 2 or 4. You have 4 Atmos speakers.

If you rely on them for replacing L/R speakers it will not be a great experience. As Comboomer suggested, you can use the back pair to replace 2 rear surrounds. Then by adding your planned 3.1 speakers, you could have a 5.1.2 set up(or 3.1.4 if you are some kind of madman).

e: Just to add one more thing: don't worry about matching the brand of your 3.1 speakers to the atmos speakers. It doesn't matter. Don't even worry about getting the subwoofer from the same brand. Do try and get the L C R speakers from the same brand and product line though so they sound similar.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I mildly disagree with Captain Capslock and agree with Ok Comboomer. I wouldnt hesitate to use the in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds. Try them and see what you think of it.

Of course, if you think youd enjoy a big-rear end Atmos setup and can swing the cash, I wont stop you. But Id save the money for surrounds and height channels if it were me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I mildly disagree with Captain Capslock and agree with Ok Comboomer. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds. Try them and see what you think of it.

Of course, if you think you’d enjoy a big-rear end Atmos setup and can swing the cash, I won’t stop you. But I’d save the money for surrounds and height channels if it were me.

its just two extra speakers, and it should be the smallest (and cheapest) speakers in the bunch :shrug:

my vote is for 5.2.4 (or 5.1.4, but I prefer two subs if youre gonna go all-out)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's more about the pain in the rear end of running more cables for rear speakers, usually. 9+ channel receivers are also expensive. If it were me, I'd start with a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 and upgrade later if I felt the need.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Appreciate the input guys. That all makes sense to me.

Say I did go buy a 5.1 setup to run 5.1.4, what sort of avr do I look for? Based on googling, Id need a 9 channel receiver for this? So look for 9.2 ones? That definitely would change up the range of what Im looking at.

*edit* or actually I think this 7.1 would work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DXF1CP6?ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_ZF0D46TQ1T7S9MQ16SYC

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 4, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Appreciate the input guys. That all makes sense to me.

Say I did go buy a 5.1 setup to run 5.1.4, what sort of avr do I look for? Based on googling, Id need a 9 channel receiver for this? So look for 9.2 ones? That definitely would change up the range of what Im looking at.

*edit* or actually I think this 7.1 would work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DXF1CP6?ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_ZF0D46TQ1T7S9MQ16SYC

Yes, you would need a 9ch avr if you wanted 5.1.4

A 7ch avr would only let you do 5.1.2

It looks like that avr does have 9 outputs, but I wouldn't assume it can play all of them at the same time. The 2nd set might just be for zone B. If you want 5.1.4, you need to step up to the A6A.
I also don't know if Yamaha eventually fixed their hdmi 2.1 issues and having 4k120 / 8k60 playback. I think they might have patched the firmware, but it's still hardware limited to 40gbps instead of 48gbps

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These are probably going to be your cheapest 9.2 options.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3600ha/denon-avr-x3600h-9.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos-new/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6014/marantz-sr6014-9.2-ch-x-110-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html#!specifications

7 channel can be had significantly cheaper

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?number_channels=7

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Appreciate that. And if I want the receiver to be able to do 4k/120hz for my Series X, I'd need to bump it up to something like this right? https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3700h/denon-avr-x3700h-9.2-ch-x-105-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Appreciate that. And if I want the receiver to be able to do 4k/120hz for my Series X, I'd need to bump it up to something like this right? https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3700h/denon-avr-x3700h-9.2-ch-x-105-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

That also only has a single input that can handle 4k@120.

I just bought one of these. It's only 7.2, so you're limited to 5.2.2, and it doesn't have nearly as many features and ports, but it has 3 8k inputs and it's way cheaper.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs760h/denon-avr-s760h-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

The other thing you could do is plug your xbox into your TV and use eARC to get audio back out to the receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

KillHour posted:

That also only has a single input that can handle 4k@120.

I just bought one of these. It's only 7.2, so you're limited to 5.2.2, and it doesn't have nearly as many features and ports, but it has 3 8k inputs and it's way cheaper.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs760h/denon-avr-s760h-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

The other thing you could do is plug your xbox into your TV and use eARC to get audio back out to the receiver.

Kinda crazy how big of a jump it is from 7.2 to 9.2! In the end, I'm okay with only one input at 4k/120hz as I don't have any other consoles and won't be connecting a PC to it. Leave all of the content capabilities to streaming. But true on using eArc too although the amount of feedback about audio delays scares me. Haven't run into that with my current TV but that eArcs into my Sonos Arc.