Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ArmZ posted:

lmao you don't maintain a battery you just put in a new one

most li-on batteries fail because a couple of cells out of the pack go bad and this over time fucks the rest of the pack

replacing a bad cell costs like $6 for someone who knows what they're doing, which sounds like maintenance to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
u need a battery welder to fix those packs. those cost so much, like 100 dollars

i don't have a hunerd loving dollars. i don't have 5 dollars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ArmZ posted:

lmao you don't maintain a battery you just put in a new one

Replacing parts is maintenance

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you can get an entire new bike you pedal yourself for the cost of a new battery that's why this tax credit bullshit is stupid and worthless like the dems which was my point

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i like my ebike

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ebikes are fantastic and drastically lower the barrier of entry for folks who are hesitant. For anyone in an urban area, a cheap ebike can replace an expensive, dirty, and dangerous car for most trips. They're complementary to public transportation, so advancing the cause of one does not detract from the other.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Dolphin posted:

u need a battery welder to fix those packs. those cost so much, like 100 dollars

i don't have a hunerd loving dollars. i don't have 5 dollars

A lot of people do battery refurbs

Like here basically every tradie knows someone who fixes bad powertool batteries, because it costs like $150 for a new Makita battery, and maybe $15 to fix a worn out battery almost as good as new

People sell cheap 3d printed battery cases for every powertool brand as well

Saying batteries aren't maintainable is idiotic

Whether people maintain them or chuck them in a landfill however...

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Dec 9, 2021

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

most li-on batteries fail because a couple of cells out of the pack go bad and this over time fucks the rest of the pack

replacing a bad cell costs like $6 for someone who knows what they're doing, which sounds like maintenance to me?

you mean the kind of batteries that say "do not open or puncture" because the manufacturers will get sued into oblivion otherwise?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

A lot of people do battery refurbs

Like here basically every tradie knows someone who fixes bad powertool batteries, because it costs like $150 for a new Makita battery, and maybe $15 to fix a worn out battery almost as good as new

People sell cheap 3d printed battery cases for every powertool brand as well

Saying batteries aren't maintainable is idiotic

Whether people maintain them or chuck them in a landfill however...

lol just lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Replacing parts is maintenance

lmfao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

replacing the fuel tank in my car is just maintenance.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

ebikes are useful and fun and anybody who says otherwise has car brain, even if and maybe especially if, they are themselves a cyclist

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I have a brilliant idea proving me to be worth being a billionaire. What if we made an unsafe tunnel and put all the ebikes there? We can make like 50 elevators.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ArmZ posted:

replacing the fuel tank in my car is just maintenance.

Replacing batteries in cars is pretty standard maintenance

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

i smile every time i see a parent on an e-bike hauling their kids to school. it's good as hell.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

sat on my keys! posted:

i smile every time i see a parent on an e-bike hauling their kids to school. it's good as hell.

they may as well be in a 9000 lb hummer (this is what ArmZ actually believes)

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ArmZ posted:

you mean the kind of batteries that say "do not open or puncture" because the manufacturers will get sued into oblivion otherwise?

ArmZ posted:

lol just lmao

So like the people maintaining batteries don't exist, what are you saying here

E: also if you weren't an idiot you'd know "do not puncture or open" is for individual battery cells, not for the case on a pack of cells, which you can open in order to fix issues like a blown BMS or to repair wiring

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Dec 9, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nobody said ebikes were bad. they aren't cars so they're good. i said the dems were poo poo and the tax credit was poo poo. gosh!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Sphyre posted:

they may as well be in a 9000 lb hummer (this is what ArmZ actually believes)

It appears that they also believe battery power tools are bad

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

sat on my keys! posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaZivarts/status/1468726834867027969?t=1-Y6tlOVjkhJRvMrVseT9w&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ebikes are fantastic and drastically lower the barrier of entry for folks who are hesitant. For anyone in an urban area, a cheap ebike can replace an expensive, dirty, and dangerous car for most trips. They're complementary to public transportation, so advancing the cause of one does not detract from the other.

unfortunately they are also insanely attractive to thieves, and there's really nothing can do unless you get a folding one and literally carry it with you

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tax credit for up to 30% of the cost of an ED—209 to guard your E Bike.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It appears that they also believe battery power tools are bad

they are.

Batteries in general are extremely high environmental impact as they are actually used not some niche fantasy where goblin battery tinkerers both exist and are common. the average consumer sees batteries and thinks "ill throw this away in <2years". hell the first gen teslas are already hitting junkyards and most of their batteries end up falling off a barge on the way to a landfill in new jersey.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

they are.

Batteries in general are extremely high environmental impact as they are actually used not some niche fantasy where goblin battery tinkerers both exist and are common. the average consumer sees batteries and thinks "ill throw this away in <2years". hell the first gen teslas are already hitting junkyards and most of their batteries end up falling off a barge on the way to a landfill in new jersey.

I guess we better not build any more houses then

Also lol this goon thing of being like "I don't know anyone who does this so it must be a weird goblin fantasy world", rebuilding power tool batteries is real common which people would know if they weren't chronic computer touches

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Dec 9, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

El Pollo Blanco posted:

maybe? not sure about the non-sequitur here.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

maybe? not sure about the non-sequitur here.

I agree batteries are poo poo, but there isn't really a solution to building anything that's not either batteries or running gennies constantly.

We're not getting battery manufacturers to recycle anything themselves, that's an even greater fantasy than these apparently mythical goblin battery tinkers, who every tradie I know deals with

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Dec 9, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
nah you are right. im basically using my battery hate as a proxy for the disposable culture we have. i particularly dislike consumer electronics primarily because of the environmental impact of the e-waste, along with other less thread relevant reasons.

but for someone who is actually using the tools, battery powered or otherwise, its fine. and if they have a cottage industry of refreshing/pro-longing the lithium ion batteries, good for them.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

bicycles are good

cars are bad

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

bicycles are good

cars are bad

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Also lol this goon thing of being like "I don't know anyone who does this so it must be a weird goblin fantasy world", rebuilding power tool batteries is real common which people would know if they weren't chronic computer touches

I'll be honest - I work construction and I've never heard of it. All the guys I talk to are older so maybe they're not up on it but I haven't even seen anything like this on youtube

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
A powerful compact thrower flashlight is a great tool for people walking or biking to communicate with the car brain in the field at night. Like the other night I was biking on a street in a two way bike lane that was until weeks ago a southbound lane for cars. 30 seconds biking on this street I see a car coming towards me, driving in the bike lane. I give them a block to realize their error but nah. So I pull out the 20 dollar banggood convoy flashlight and hit them with the high beams, then I gesture at them to turn, which they do.

I've also used this just walking as I've seen countless cars blow through red lights and drive dangerously in my neighborhood as traffic enforcement is zilch for the past 18 months. Just standing on the sidewalk I hit the rearview with a few thousand lumen and believe me there are brake lights and a little more careful driving for the next few blocks. Part of me feels like this is cop adjacent behavior and I should be concerned but also gently caress cars so

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Kicked Throat posted:

A powerful compact thrower flashlight is a great tool for people walking or biking to communicate with the car brain in the field at night. Like the other night I was biking on a street in a two way bike lane that was until weeks ago a southbound lane for cars. 30 seconds biking on this street I see a car coming towards me, driving in the bike lane. I give them a block to realize their error but nah. So I pull out the 20 dollar banggood convoy flashlight and hit them with the high beams, then I gesture at them to turn, which they do.

I've also used this just walking as I've seen countless cars blow through red lights and drive dangerously in my neighborhood as traffic enforcement is zilch for the past 18 months. Just standing on the sidewalk I hit the rearview with a few thousand lumen and believe me there are brake lights and a little more careful driving for the next few blocks. Part of me feels like this is cop adjacent behavior and I should be concerned but also gently caress cars so

It's ok you can be a cop as long as it's only against cars. Also the power of good lights cannot be understated. I actually feel safer riding at night because it's way easier to make your bike look like a car with lights.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

lil poopendorfer posted:

I'll be honest - I work construction and I've never heard of it. All the guys I talk to are older so maybe they're not up on it but I haven't even seen anything like this on youtube

Maybe it's a weird New Zealand peculiarity but it's pretty common here, even the first YouTube result when you google it is a kiwi rebuilding a Makita pack?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Kicked Throat posted:

A powerful compact thrower flashlight is a great tool for people walking or biking to communicate with the car brain in the field at night.

i've had an idea for a while of a tiny little LED that attaches to your glove and is controllable with one hand (i.e., you need to touch a button on your index finger with your thumb), so you can raise a hand and flash a driver that's unknowingly on a collision course

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

bicycles are good

cars are bad

this upsets people unironically, isn't that insane

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Lastgirl posted:

this upsets people unironically, isn't that insane

'car brain' is real, it's in the dsmv, and we have to eradicate it

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Polo-Rican posted:

i've had an idea for a while of a tiny little LED that attaches to your glove and is controllable with one hand (i.e., you need to touch a button on your index finger with your thumb), so you can raise a hand and flash a driver that's unknowingly on a collision course

it's not a glove light but if you're looking for something that'll be near your hands on a bicycle, it's a bit pricey but you can get a light like this:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-front-lights/bontrager-ion-elite-r-front-bike-light/p/27821/

i usually just have it flashing the entire time i'm riding. no motorist can ignore a 1000 lumen strobe

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Try living in a place with hills before you admonish ebikes. Take the batteries away and everyone is back in their car except for the people that cycle athletically.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Try living in a place with hills before you admonish ebikes. Take the batteries away and everyone is back in their car except for the people that cycle athletically.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't actually enjoy my bike commute. It's a rollercoaster the entire way. When I see less athletic people on some of those hills they're clearly on the verge of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I love my hilly bike commute I'm missing it terribly rn