Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF7 and 8 both presumably have many towns that don't appear on the map. Crisis Core had a Mideel-sister city for example, Banora iirc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I always assumed it’s something like if the USA were part of an FF world map, there would only be NYC, Miami, Denver, and LA. With maybe something like Gary, Indiana being the token hilariously dilapidated hellhole town.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Asterite34 posted:

You know, for as much as their whole society runs off it to the point where the power company is a scifi megacorp, Mako seems like a kinda lovely inefficient power source where it takes 8 giant-as-gently caress reactor complexes to run a single city the size of Toronto. Who knew souls had such poor energy density? It's a wonder all the giant robots and stuff can run for more than five minutes at a time.

you can maybe chalk it up to the fact that the tech is not actually very old and hasn't developed to a particularly efficient state yet. It's another one of those weird time things in FF, the sprawling scifi metropolis and its tech are like 40 years old and everywhere else on the planet is bumpkin land

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Electromax posted:

FF7 and 8 both presumably have many towns that don't appear on the map. Crisis Core had a Mideel-sister city for example, Banora iirc?

VIII's world is pretty laid out from what I remember. Trabia/Shumi is the only real isolated but populated region where you think there must be more out there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF8 has a transoceanic rail line and a continent that was destroyed by the moon in the ancient prehistoric times of 50 years ago.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mustached Demon posted:

I turn 35 next year. I'll stay away from the library.

Good advice for everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Old-school world maps are not supposed to represent the entirety of the world but major locations. There are presumably a lot of small villages or towns which are entirely irrelevant so they don't show up, much like how they don't feel the need to animate every time Cloud goes to the toilet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

FF8 has a transoceanic rail line and a continent that was destroyed by the moon in the ancient prehistoric times of 50 years ago.

Yeah it owns

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

is esthar completely invisible to the world/is climbing into the void after getting the train to antarctica the standard entrance

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Esthar only put up their invisible wall 20 years ago, they are supposed to be isolationist and not generally allow visitors but prior to that it was just a country, not Wakanda or whatever. People know about them generally.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I want an FFVIII thread

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I mean this in a positive way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

is esthar completely invisible to the world/is climbing into the void after getting the train to antarctica the standard entrance

This is a very cool image and also staggering to imagine how this was ever supposed to work

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I want an FFVIII thread

Then make one, ain't no rule against it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's pretty clear that Shinra has all the transportation they need, considering that the Turks are in Wutai after you leave Rocket Town, as well as Tseng beating you to the Temple of the Ancients, so the Tiny Bronco wasn't really necessary.

My personal theory is Rufus is just wanted to add the Tiny Bronco to his Rich rear end in a top hat Collection and made up an excuse to trick Cid into thinking he was taking company property back for legitimate reasons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I also like how the Tiny Bronco is, like, maybe a 4-seater? Meanwhile Rufus rolls up with his entire contingent of advisors and military and wants to borrow this tiny-rear end plane.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why does Cid even own the Tiny Bronco rather than Shinra, did they give it to him for 10 years of dedicated service or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why does Cid even own the Tiny Bronco rather than Shinra, did they give it to him for 10 years of dedicated service or something.

Cid literally built it himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Let’s also not forget Rufus is a huge rear end in a top hat. What with “Fear will keep the masses in line no need to waste money on them.”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What did Rufus even need the Tiny Bronco for? He owns a helicopter.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Electric Phantasm posted:

What did Rufus even need the Tiny Bronco for? He owns a helicopter.

He didn't need it, hence why he made up some bullshit excuse about needing it to chase Sephiroth, so he could take it back to Midgar and put it in his display garage so he could bring his rich rear end in a top hat friends over and say "Yep, one of a kind plane, you wouldn't believe how much it cost to have this baby built for me personally."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Let’s also not forget Rufus is a huge rear end in a top hat. What with “Fear will keep the masses in line no need to waste money on them.”

...but next time we see him he's having a giant parade. A jolly parade meant to win over heart s and minds, not some Mordor/Imperial March poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyjypnxgdU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a military parade with armed soldiers and such. Even though it's got jaunty music, the point is that everybody sees how big and obedient the army is.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

...but next time we see him he's having a giant parade. A jolly parade meant to win over heart s and minds, not some Mordor/Imperial March poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyjypnxgdU
And it worked out really well since Cloud managed to get high ratings on tv and was rewarded 5000 gil.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Scalding Coffee posted:

And it worked out really well since Cloud managed to get high ratings on tv and was rewarded 5000 gil.

Not my Cloud.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

not mine either

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have played FFVII countless times and have only ever managed to get the reward above a Grenade. More often than not I just get the Grenade.

I don't know anybody who has actually perfected that dumb thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFVIII has a closed time loop and conscious transitioning through time and space and villainesses plan to delete the parts of time she doesn't care for that has been ongoing before you find out she exists and the god of their setting got their rear end kicked by human beings and ran away.

FFVIII is exactly as wild as it should be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a military parade with armed soldiers and such. Even though it's got jaunty music, the point is that everybody sees how big and obedient the army is.

Taking place at the fortress with the huge gun.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the whole shinra wanting the tiny bronco is the same goofiness that explains how some houses are about 50 times largers inside than outside in ff7 - it was 1997 and they were freewheeling ideas, a bunch of them stuck, some went all wonky, but you give up one you need to give them all up

they'll change that in the remake using the same kind of smart brains that generated constant scenes of women's eyes sparkling at cloud and then going to The Edge of Creation in ff7 remake

roomtone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2021

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I got to a point in Endwalker where I physically got up from my chair, laid on my bed, and just stared at the ceiling for a while. This game is so drat good. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the story not going anywhere anybody expected, but I think I'll worry about that when I actually finish the MSQ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like FFVII Remake will like, just completely blow up the Tiny Bronco and have a different reason Shinra is there.

I dunno, I have no charity for the writing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they'll keep the Tiny Bronco and Palmer will still get hit by a truck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They might, and I'll never know, to be fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they'll keep the Tiny Bronco and Palmer will still get hit by a truck.

Yes, the only thing they'll change will be Palmer will have a mech suit or something instead of just a fancy gun.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Palmer and the truck are gonna be like a three-stage boss fight, but the Tiny Bronco is absolutely getting cut. Not because it's too goofy or whatever, but because there's no chance there'll be a world map in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

Palmer and the truck are gonna be like a three-stage boss fight, but the Tiny Bronco is absolutely getting cut. Not because it's too goofy or whatever, but because there's no chance there'll be a world map in the first place.

No chance it gets cut. At bare minimum it's going to get the same "takes off, crashes" thing but the crash is used to justify moving to the next area.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno I still think the entire sequence of events from here on out will be so unrecognisable that none of these considerations will really matter. The familiar iconography will all reappear, sometimes in different forms. Can't really expect the precise logistics of the original to have any bearing on what they do after you fight fate in a proto-universe in the first one. They've got their alternate Zack-verse to handle, too. It's not gonna be remotely the same a - b - c journey.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not as confident about the bronco but Palmer def gonna get hit by that truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

I have played FFVII countless times and have only ever managed to get the reward above a Grenade. More often than not I just get the Grenade.

I don't know anybody who has actually perfected that dumb thing.
There is randomness involved since the ratings can go all over the place, but I mashed the button to tip my gun for that reward.