Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My body is ready. Let the milk wash over it, let the milk seep into my pores, thoroughly and deeply. Let me become the milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

you think the milk is your ally? you merely adopted the milk. I was born in the milk, moulded by it.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Gazaar posted:

Look at the face, it's a lot like a real mummified head. Do these milky droids have real human heads? Or are they just dumping milk on an effigy.

Perhaps we are not ready for the answer.

handsome bot modeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CdegX9Kkgo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Xaintrailles posted:

They have at least four Jesuses, that's probably enough already.

e: I'm excited to see how many more they'll introduce in series two.

BEWARE

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GABA ghoul posted:

This show is dragged down by the total lack of Jesus IMO. He could be a giant mongoose that fights the flying snaake. Call me, HBO

Jesus would definitely be a most holy honey badger.

For real though, isn’t this show set in some alternate history where Mithraism predominated in the late Roman period instead of Christianity? Like, medieval, colonial, and industrial history mostly happened but everyone in Europe was Mithraic.

I assumed Christianity just wasn’t a thing. It was some Middle Eastern cult in Earth’s ancient history that didn’t matter to the contemporary context.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xealot posted:

For real though, isn’t this show set in some alternate history where Mithraism predominated in the late Roman period instead of Christianity? Like, medieval, colonial, and industrial history mostly happened but everyone in Europe was Mithraic.

I assumed Christianity just wasn’t a thing. It was some Middle Eastern cult in Earth’s ancient history that didn’t matter to the contemporary context.

It's not clear whether this is the case, or whether Mithraism saw a late in life resurgence thanks to archaeologists and scientists discovering weird poo poo in the existing texts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ragnar’s wife did say “Jesus Christ!” in an episode last season.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Xealot posted:

Jesus would definitely be a most holy honey badger.

IRC someone involved with the show said on the podcast that it's not an alternative history world. There are a couple hints at this, e.g. names like Boston(named after a Christian saint IRC) or Kepler 22-b. The show canonically takes place in the year 2150(but we never see anyone say the year). I guess 130 years is enough time for some nutjob cult to find an ancient alien artifact and start slowly dominating earth with it. It could be something like an ancient nanopaste/milk dispenser or something, that allows them to build necromancers. No other nation would be able to copy that technology or really develop counter measures to something so advanced.

I mean, they could still go with the alt history route though. My guess is that the mythology is not completely settled yet.

e: IMO Mithraism isn't really a 1:1 stand-in for Christianity in this because Sol seems to be a huge dick which doesn't fit with the NT version of God. I guess old testament fundamentalists would work(like they did in the Handmaid's Tale), but then that's not really Christianity

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 7, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Dark Souls look is really great and weird.

I guess evil atheist storm troopers went with the classic with the Norman style helmets.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

i want to know more about the snake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9aQc0Ubjmg

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

e: IMO Mithraism isn't really a 1:1 stand-in for Christianity in this because Sol seems to be a huge dick which doesn't fit with the NT version of God. I guess old testament fundamentalists would work(like they did in the Handmaid's Tale), but then that's not really Christianity

What alternate reality are you living in and who gave you the authority to decide what is "real" Christianity?

The biggest difference between Mithraism in the show and Christianity in our world is that 1) there appears to be a good level of gender equality in Mithraism and 2) they aren't blood gargling neo-luddites.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vitruvian Manic posted:

What alternate reality are you living in and who gave you the authority to decide what is "real" Christianity?

The part that describes the coming of Christ is oddly more important to the vast majority of Christians.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

in the grim dark future there is only milk based technology

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
OREOites vs. lactose-intolerant.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the snake will never be seen or heard from again.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

the snake will never be seen or heard from again.

Worst opinion itt, borderline bannable even

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

campion best character and i don't like the milk

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good cause that’s actually android blood.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
snake died on the way back to his home planet.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GABA ghoul posted:

I guess 130 years is enough time for some nutjob cult to find an ancient alien artifact and start slowly dominating earth with it. It could be something like an ancient nanopaste/milk dispenser or something, that allows them to build necromancers. No other nation would be able to copy that technology or really develop counter measures to something so advanced.

Is that what happened? I didn't think the Mithraics had super alien tech, I just assumed they capitalized on people's fears amidst environmental collapse and became a political superpower that way (like Gilead since you brought them up.) I pictured it as similar to Evangelicals sweeping elections, then instituting religious law. Only instead of the military apparatus being Predator drones, there are shrieking golden murderbots.

I guess the Mithraic mysteries of ancient Rome were...instructions from aliens on how to build murderbots?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Wait friends, it's been a long time since I watched them all but didn't someone go to Kepler and bring something back to Earth?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres a lovely tie in comic that says that the mithraics popped up a couple generations before the series and took over the world with their flying robots that they claim were given to them via divine instruction but it could be retconned out pretty easy

e: oh the mithraic part is vaguer than i remember but still

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Wait friends, it's been a long time since I watched them all but didn't someone go to Kepler and bring something back to Earth?

Not clear. All that we really know about the situation is what the medical robot said to Mother back in episode, uh, eight? I think?

Basically scientists looked at ancient Mithraic artefacts and deduced a whole bunch of information from them, including the plans for the Necromancer robot and a number of prophecies concerning Kepler (the same ones that, it's implied, drew the Mithraics to the planet at the start of the show). How that information got to Earth in the first place wasn't defined.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not clear. All that we really know about the situation is what the medical robot said to Mother back in episode, uh, eight? I think?

Basically scientists looked at ancient Mithraic artefacts and deduced a whole bunch of information from them, including the plans for the Necromancer robot and a number of prophecies concerning Kepler (the same ones that, it's implied, drew the Mithraics to the planet at the start of the show). How that information got to Earth in the first place wasn't defined.

Kepler had Neanderthals and cave paintings of earth and the solar system, so some space faring civilization was visiting earth a couple ten thousand years ago.

But in the other direction, yeah, not much is known. The only hint I remember was this creepy cave painting showing two people in a space ship with the same shape and size as mom and pop's ships and eggs on board. But that could have been a prophecy or something. The guy who build the ship could have found the same prophecy in some ancient text on earth and recreated it.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

The part that describes the coming of Christ is oddly more important to the vast majority of Christians.

Do we know what the equivalent of that would be from a mithraic point of view? I feel you are being uncharitable to the mithraics.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I do remember Mother implied that was Mithriac propaganda but it'll be interesting to learn more regardless, thank you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In the television show RAISED BY WOLVES, who is raised by wolves?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

General Battuta posted:

snek, next question

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Everyone, op. Everyone in this show was raised by wolves. It's like poetry, it rhymes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

wooger posted:

Are you sure about that, really, when it comes to how they live their lives and what they see their faith as representing out in the world?

My own pet theory on the backstory:

The Mithraists descend from a group that decoded a transmission that showed them how to build an FTL transceiver of some sort. The thing on the other end figured us out real quick by asking questions, slurping up our RF, and/or connecting to our networks. It gave them a religion based around itself in the same general shape as a current dominant religion to make it easier to get people to convert, and said to go out and convert people if humanity wanted more tech.

The Atheists are not “atheists” (though they are that, too), they’re people that don’t believe the thing on the other end of the FTL transceiver is a deity of some sort. They were probably part of the team that built the transceiver in the first place, maybe even the people who initially built it, but who refused to worship the thing on the other end.

That’s where the ultimate conflict really comes in: The Mithraists are getting tech from “Sol,” while the Atheists are probably both stealing what’s given to the Mithraists and deciphering what they can to make new things (like Father and Mother). Again, more feasible if the original Atheists and Mithraists were the same group.

Hell, if you said “we got this transmission from space, built the thing it told us to build, and now we can talk to a god” and had any way to back that up in live, repeatable demonstrations, you’d have converts lining up bowing before it and asking how they could serve it in Planck time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

eschaton posted:

Are you sure about that, really, when it comes to how they live their lives and what they see their faith as representing out in the world?

The Mithraists descend from a group that decoded a transmission that showed them how to build an FTL transceiver of some sort. The thing on the other end figured us out real quick by asking questions, slurping up our RF, and/or connecting to our networks. It gave them a religion based around itself in the same general shape as a current dominant religion to make it easier to get people to convert, and said to go out and convert people if humanity wanted more tech.

The Atheists are not “atheists” (though they are that, too), they’re people that don’t believe the thing on the other end of the FTL transceiver is a deity of some sort. They were probably part of the team that built the transceiver in the first place, maybe even the people who initially built it, but who refused to worship the thing on the other end.

That’s where the ultimate conflict really comes in: The Mithraists are getting tech from “Sol,” while the Atheists are probably both stealing what’s given to the Mithraists and deciphering what they can to make new things (like Father and Mother). Again, more feasible if the original Atheists and Mithraists were the same group.

Hell, if you said “we got this transmission from space, built the thing it told us to build, and now we can talk to a god” and had any way to back that up in live, repeatable demonstrations, you’d have converts lining up bowing before it and asking how they could serve it in Planck time.

<Ridley Scott listening, nodding>

Pretty good pitch, kid, but I think we can punch it up a bit. What if instead of a FTL transceiver it was a robot, but it's got superpowers and also it's full of milk? And the god is real, but it turns out it's snakes who fly and live in space.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I think it's a closed cyclical loop tbh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eschaton posted:

i like this

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

General Battuta posted:

Did you not see the part where Mother tells Campion to behave because he wasn't Raised by Wolves and then she stared at the camera for a solid ten seconds before making him eat his radioactive tuber? It was weird and took me out of the show personally.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"sure am glad I wasn't raised by wolves!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm looking forward to another season of watch parties in which everyone yells at Campion.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

etalian posted:

I'm looking forward to another season of watch parties in which everyone yells at Campion.

reminds me of the Strain where by the end of it I wanted to strangle the son character. I went on google and did a search about how lovely that kid was and a ton of results came up. like everything would be so much better if the little poo poo just died.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

reminds me of the Strain where by the end of it I wanted to strangle the son character. I went on google and did a search about how lovely that kid was and a ton of results came up. like everything would be so much better if the little poo poo just died.

Wolves is a family show though, you need a character that the smaller kids watching can identify with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

uber_stoat posted:

the Strain

Haha drat I’d forgotten about that shitshow