Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Well we can’t really say how true this is because YouTube removed the dislikes number from videos.

Dislike data is apparently still accessible from YT API until 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sininu posted:

Dislike data is apparently still accessible from YT API until 13th.

Interesting! Didn’t realize that.

Also Elex is giving me strong Outriders vibes.

Yeah I know Elex came first but I’m playing it after I’ve played outriders. :colbert:

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I am so damned stoked to get down on some monster rancher, surprised they released a pc port of the game. Just want to get my monster brawling and exploration on. Curious to see how to new system to get monsters works, considering they removed the optical drive need.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looking in my library I see I already have Gears Tactics and X Com2.

1. What kind of guide should I look for for X-com 2 and what DLC should I get

2. what order should I play them in

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's absolutely going to happen with gacha poo poo. they already more or less ruined FIFA with that kind of thing and i fully expect that to be the next step

I don't understand the difference between having NFTs and the way things are now, for the end user. At the end of the day you're paying money to them to get some bits flipped somewhere. When the game goes away you have nothing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mozi posted:

I don't understand the difference between having NFTs and the way things are now, for the end user. At the end of the day you're paying money to them to get some bits flipped somewhere. When the game goes away you have nothing.

"It can't possibly be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong."

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

zoux posted:

I have no experience with Gears so just an XCOM2 answer: it depends on if you are the type of person who is likely to play through it more than once. If you don't think you will, go straight for War of the Chosen. It's much more like a sequel than just a couple additions. It makes for a very compelling and very different game than vanilla, but vanilla is still really fun and good. If you're going to play twice, play vanilla and then WotC, but if you are only going to play once, play WotC. For the rest of the DLC, it is all okay and not very impactful but if it is your first time through maybe don't run Alien Hunters, they're sort of like randomly spawning superbosses.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mozi posted:

No you understand it perfectly

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mozi posted:

It's less functionality and more mentality. If Ubisoft puts up a store with limited-edition skins selling for 10k a piece, people will riot. If they put up 1,000 units of an NFT skin and they auction for 10k per unit, Ubisoft still gets about the same money and no one complains. And then they can tack on more layers of exploitation like celebrity signings, "exclusive" "art", cross-game portability where your Siege weapon bauble NFT can be used in other games too, etc.

In reality NFTs offer no functionality to control-freak publishers, they just make being even more manipulative and abusive to your customers seem more acceptable to people. To them, that's worth giving up direct control of the secondary marketplace.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
So in their recent giftstravaganza, Feliday gave me Death's Door , which ended up being a really pleasing little experience.

It is a horrible day in the afterlife, and you are a nice soul-reaping crow.

Nothing revolutionary, but a charming little game that's on the easier side of the souls-lite / metroidvania type. It's got fun combat, an interesting cast of characters, and lots of secrets to find.

It took me around maybe 18 hours to effectively 100% the game (not including the one achievement that requires you to use nothing but a joke weapon for the entire game, I ain't doing that), and there was little to no grind. The metroidvania aspect has you backtracking a bit, and in a game with no map that can be a bit iffy, but the music and visual design are charming enough it didn't feel like a drag. It's like if Ghibli made their own Dark Souls.

Being an indie, there's limits on enemy variety, & controls are serviceable, but nothing that is detrimental to the overall experience. The puzzles are fairly straightforward, the difficulty curve is pretty kind, and the game is short enough that no aspect really wears out its welcome.

I feel like I've undersold it with faint praise here, but I would definitely recommend it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Mozi posted:

One big difference for the end user is that you can resell an NFT to someone else. A lot of people buying NFTs don't even care about the thing that the NFT gets them; they just think they're going to be able to flip it to some other sucker for a profit.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Triarii posted:

One big difference for the end user is that you can resell an NFT to someone else. A lot of people buying NFTs don't even care about the thing that the NFT gets them; they just think they're going to be able to flip it to some other sucker for a profit.

This was already true of marketplaces for games with item trading without NFTs. Recently Path of Exile had a bug where using a specific combination of items allowed you to run infinite aura skills, limited only by your skill sockets. A bunch of people bought up those items to try to resell to people looking to make a build based on that only for GGG to patch out the bug, sending prices crashing down

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

nvm this post was unnecessary

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 9, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tarezax posted:

This was already true of marketplaces for games with item trading without NFTs. Recently Path of Exile had a bug where using a specific combination of items allowed you to run infinite aura skills, limited only by your skill sockets. A bunch of people bought up those items to try to resell to people looking to make a build based on that only for GGG to patch out the bug, sending prices crashing down

See, that's the problem - items in game economies are subject to the whims of the developers as they patch and rebalance things. NFTs, as everyone knows, only ever go up in value, so you're guaranteed to make money buying them without even needing to know anything about how the game works.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think I can finally lay a finger on why Fights in Tight Spaces works for me as well as it does: more than any other game I've played since it released, FiTs captures the magic of Invisible Inc.

Not perfectly - what could? - but close enough to that dynamic of puzzling out each tactical move, using undos, and hoping the rng can be massaged just so that it encourages multiple runs and all kinds of silliness.

This game lacks - mm. Something about balance or variety or something, that I struggle to put a finger on. The closest I can think of is how most of the bonus objectives are unfun or punishingly tight (especially the time limited ones) and there's no real other way to get currency (although currency isn't as important as it feels, as upgrading cards is nice but not crucial - card gain + improvements are far more important)

But overall I'm pouring hours into and loving love it and highly recommend it if it sounds like your jam. Put it next to Invisible Inc and Into the Breach as good tactical positioning games. Thank you.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Triarii posted:

Also true of cryptocurrency in general for basically everyone who doesn't think it's THE CURRENCY OF THE FUTURE.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

zoux posted:

2. what order should I play them in

Xcom2: Vanilla first, no DLCs. Then if you like it, second playthrough with everything and the kitchen sink. That's not since the DLC is bad, but because it adds a LOT of front-loaded stuff that's really overwhelming with all the new systems and such.

Fanboy talking: The DLC model was mostly 'throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks' and so you see a very strong iterative progression.
  • First DLC was Resistance Warrior pack, a cosmetic one that was rightfully panned as you can get better stuff for free in the workshop.
  • Then was Alien Rulers and Shen's Legacy, which have stand-alone awesome missions that result in new toys. The missions are available from day1 almost and result in a bit of a sensory overload from the strategic map. Alien rulers also added boss monsters, which where imperfect.
  • War of the Chosen is a bigass full featured xpack like you'd expect from the 90's, with about a dozen new mechanics, factions, and story missions happening from the get-go. Also they figured out how to make cool boss fights.
  • Finally was Tactical Legacy Pack, a kind of epilogue of optional tall-tale, fish-that-got-away missions missions set in their own mini-campaign. Aimed at veteran players who've finished the game a few times.

So yea, if you have XCOM2 just fire it up and play it, and if you love it and want to do a second playthrough grab the "everything" edition and shove it all on at once. Tip: Don't "intergrate DLC", it hides the cool special missions in an attempt to reduce the mission overload. Boo!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Is there an XCOM 1 mod for XCOM 2? I think 2 is a better game in a lot of ways, but I liked the more (kinda) grounded sci-fi of 1 than I did the superhero/goony-villain vibe of 2.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

I had a bit of time and I really like the game so I did a small effort post/sales pitch for it.

Basic Overview

The game could be best described as entirely turn-based Total War game, with a dash of Civilization in an extremely soft sci-fi setting. There is a strategy and tactical layer of the game, with strategy layer taking place on hexagon based map divided into sectors. Each sector has it's own resource nodes, treasure sites, recruitment building, dungeons and other places of interest. You can settle a sector by creating a city there, or claim it, if it neighbors one of your cities already. You have your basic Production/Food/Research/Money/Influence resources that you gain by claiming sectors with resource nodes and building various buildings in your cities and/or sectors. There is also a research tree, diplomacy, various operations you can use to influence friendly and enemy armies/cities/sectors in various ways and so on. You also create armies that are up to six units, ideally lead by a Hero (although unlike recent Total War games, you can have armies without a Hero, or armies that are nothing but Heroes). If you meet an enemy army, or decide to claim a sector, clear a treasure site, etc... You will be transferred to tactical part of the game which is, again, turn-based with hexagon map. Tactical battles are the meat of the game and are a fascinating mixture of X-com, Master of Magic (if you are old enough for that to tell you something... :v:) Heroes of Might and Magic and many other turn-based titles. The game has equal focus on ranged and melee combat, with cover, overwatch and ranged AoE attacks being vital part of the game, while also offering a lot of advantages to melee, with various movement abilities, generally higher damage and ways to shut-down ranged units to maintain a solid balance between the two . You can also use tactical operation, which are basically spells from Heroes of Might and Magic, to further affect battlefield and units on it, by, say, dropping a nuke on enemy army.

Why to play it:
  • Variety and Depth - you build your faction by combining one of the eight races (6 base + 2 from DLC) with one of the seven secret technologies (6 base + 1 from DLC) where each race and technology is visually distinct and has it's own unique lore, as well as distinct mechanics and focus. And if that wasn't enough, you can also customize units - each unit from the basic trooper, to late-game super-weapon, has 3 slots for mods, that can add new abilities, or change existing ones in a way that can significantly change the role of a unit. With mods, your basic ranged trooper can suddenly heal, recharge cooldowns and deploy smokescreen to protect your units, turning him into an excellent support, or he can have jet-pack, fragmentation ammo that increases damage at close range, and thumper that knock backs and stuns unit that surround him, turning him into a highly mobile shock trooper. And all of the above is very solidly balanced, where even the absolute worst combination of race and secret technology are still good enough to win games and offer at least some unique advantages. There are also game modes, different victory conditions and several full-fledged story campaign, so this game has basically every variety you could ever want from turn-based tactical combat game.
  • Challenge - while the AI on strategy layer is barely above-average and needs resource cheats to counteract it barely understanding the various elements of the game as usual, the tactical AI on the other hand, is competent, savage and understand the elements of tactical battles extremely well, to the point that it can still surprise even experienced players.The fact that the AI will still offer challenge even when a player achieves a system mastery does wonders to the game longevity and replay-ability.
  • Setting - the setting tries to do the same thing as Warhammer 40k, just without the grimdark - it collects tropes and clichés from almost every sci-fi under the sun, and combines them to give unique flavors to its races and factions, make them look cool and entice you to create your own badass personal army and fight other armies with it, and it largely succeeded - the writing is anything but deep but it does a very good job to endear you to the races and secret technologies and your own personal combinations of them.

Why to avoid it:
  • Narrow focus: There seems to be a lot of Civilization in this game at the first glance, which made a lot of people buy it, thinking it is something it is not. The strategy layer in Planetfall is all about facilitating and influencing tactical battles and nothing more, similar to Total War or X-Com. There is no option for victory that does not heavily feature combat and the economy, research and diplomacy are all surface level by design to make they don't distract you from the tactical battles, which are the laser-tight focus of the game. If you want to peacefully develop your civilization, build wonders and then win by convincing everyone to join your empire, this is not a game for you, despite superficially looking like it might be.
  • Steep learning curve: You might have already guessed it, but the combination of huge variety, deep mechanics and competent AI means that there is a pretty steep learning curve when you are a complete newbie. Easy difficulties and the story campaign, which serves as introduction both to the setting and the mechanics might help, but there will still be sudden difficulty spikes that might frustrate a new player, maybe enough to drop the game
  • End of development cycle: This might or might not be a flaw, but it bears mentioning. From the perspective of developers, the game is finished and they moved onto different projects. And while the game had a pretty solid multiplayer community in the past, it is largely dead now, so there will be no new content and you are constrained to single player modes or trying to organize a multiplayer game yourself.

I'll quote this in its entirety since it's v helpful and any page of this thread is easy to miss. Thanks for the thoughtful writeup, I think I will get it! Troubleshooter also sounded great, I'll probably get that one later. With the prices/sale Age of Wonder is the better choice just now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have two Xbox wireless controllers laying around and know if it's possible to connect both at the same time to your computer (Windows 10) and use them simultaneously? My 5 year old son and I are playing some LEGO games co-op. He's got the current Xbox wireless controller, I'm using a wired Logitech F310. There have been a few accidents where he's snagged the cord and it's fallen on the ground and I'm trying to avoid that, or the worse outcome, it tips my tower over/rips the USB cord out of the back/something else fucky happens. I was considering getting another Xbox controller to use with my computer but the quick Googling I've found online seems like it's not possible, but they're all old posts. I've got the Xbox PC dongle thingy, and can always get a Bluetooth adapter with the controller if needed. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and how it worked in co-op. Thanks!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

americanzero4128 posted:

Does anyone have two Xbox wireless controllers laying around and know if it's possible to connect both at the same time to your computer (Windows 10) and use them simultaneously? My 5 year old son and I are playing some LEGO games co-op. He's got the current Xbox wireless controller, I'm using a wired Logitech F310. There have been a few accidents where he's snagged the cord and it's fallen on the ground and I'm trying to avoid that, or the worse outcome, it tips my tower over/rips the USB cord out of the back/something else fucky happens. I was considering getting another Xbox controller to use with my computer but the quick Googling I've found online seems like it's not possible, but they're all old posts. I've got the Xbox PC dongle thingy, and can always get a Bluetooth adapter with the controller if needed. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and how it worked in co-op. Thanks!

Yes, you can use two simultaneously. It works just the same as it does with an xbox.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

got my new super premium hyper intelligent gaming rig today, so far it runs barotrauma like a dream

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lmao
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti..._source=twitter

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

So someone stop me if I'm missing something, because even after reading about blockchains and cryptocurrencies many times over I still feel like I've missed something.

The big feature of blockchains is that, rather than storing data in, you know, a database, you store it with every single user of the system, who each have to perform a variety of complex calculations just to validate that it's not fraud (and it can still be fraud).

So Kickstarter "moving to the blockchain" is, if not just an utterly meaningless buzzword meant to con gullible investors, a statement that they will be storing their data on a highly redundant, highly inefficient system whose main claim to fame is that it claims it's less likely to be hacked or defrauded, even though the most successful frauds are things like Phishing and Vishing anyway, not hackerman cracking the password to your NFT.

Do I have that right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

somehow this more than anything else sells how goddamn stupid this fuckass shithole of a technological future is

knew there was a reason i had that cloud yellers tag, i mean good god

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xanderkish posted:

So someone stop me if I'm missing something, because even after reading about blockchains and cryptocurrencies many times over I still feel like I've missed something.

The big feature of blockchains is that, rather than storing data in, you know, a database, you store it with every single user of the system, who each have to perform a variety of complex calculations just to validate that it's not fraud (and it can still be fraud).

So Kickstarter "moving to the blockchain" is, if not just an utterly meaningless buzzword meant to con gullible investors, a statement that they will be storing their data on a highly redundant, highly inefficient system whose main claim to fame is that it claims it's less likely to be hacked or defrauded, even though the most successful frauds are things like Phishing and Vishing anyway, not hackerman cracking the password to your NFT.

Do I have that right?
You're completely accurate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I bought Teardown when it was on sale and its pretty fun. Their voxel engine is impressive as I've never had it slowdown on me even on epic explosions (2080, 4 year old intel cpu).

I am a bit disappointed how inflexible the alarms are in the missions lately. The game is full of anarchic fun and creative solutions but the limitations imposed by the alarms starts to feel a little repetitive. When I first encountered them I was thinking there would be ways in the map to cut the power or maybe be able to ease them off their attach point to move them around or something. I'm still having fun setting up my destruction paths but I hope the game throws some variety at me eventually.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There’s normally a couple objectives that can be moved or cleared entirely without setting off their alarm, but for the most part the inflexibility of the alarms is necessary to make the game a cool heist simulator and not just minecraft.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There are a bunch of really bad missions in Teardown, where you're really just doing things the way the developer intended or you aren't doing them at all. The missions that aren't just "do a speedrun" are loving great. The alarm speedrun missions are mostly boring and extremely repetitive. A few have enough gimmicks or viable alternative routes to keep things interesting, but most of the mid/late game missions with are just "gently caress you, do exactly it this way".

It's not that time pressure is bad. It's that in many of Teardown's missions, it makes it so that there are maybe a couple options to complete the mission at all and only one way to actually do all the objectives. The feeling of creativity and experimentation from the non-speedrun missions just vanishes and you sigh and ask yourself how the developer intended you to complete the mission.

I haven't played the additional campaign yet. I'm hoping it's more of the good poo poo and less of the garbage filler.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 9, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The 7th Guest posted:

check your PMs, you get it gratis

smerry chrilmmas

drat you made my day, thanks so much!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The new campagin has three new levels, and does have a bit more variety in the missions. There are still a few «gone in 60 seconds» missions, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Serephina posted:

Xcom2: Vanilla first, no DLCs. Then if you like it, second playthrough with everything and the kitchen sink. That's not since the DLC is bad, but because it adds a LOT of front-loaded stuff that's really overwhelming with all the new systems and such.

Fanboy talking: The DLC model was mostly 'throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks' and so you see a very strong iterative progression.
  • First DLC was Resistance Warrior pack, a cosmetic one that was rightfully panned as you can get better stuff for free in the workshop.
  • Then was Alien Rulers and Shen's Legacy, which have stand-alone awesome missions that result in new toys. The missions are available from day1 almost and result in a bit of a sensory overload from the strategic map. Alien rulers also added boss monsters, which where imperfect.
  • War of the Chosen is a bigass full featured xpack like you'd expect from the 90's, with about a dozen new mechanics, factions, and story missions happening from the get-go. Also they figured out how to make cool boss fights.
  • Finally was Tactical Legacy Pack, a kind of epilogue of optional tall-tale, fish-that-got-away missions missions set in their own mini-campaign. Aimed at veteran players who've finished the game a few times.

So yea, if you have XCOM2 just fire it up and play it, and if you love it and want to do a second playthrough grab the "everything" edition and shove it all on at once. Tip: Don't "intergrate DLC", it hides the cool special missions in an attempt to reduce the mission overload. Boo!

i bought the everything bundle during the steam sale, but it could be a long time before i want to play it second time. do you think it's okay to play with WotC out of the gate?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean possibly? You can dive in with everyone on at once, more power to you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well my adventure in Conan Exiles was short, as the game decided it wanted to do an update which made my mods break and nuked my save. I pray to Crom that things will be fixed soon. And if he does not listen, then to hell with him.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rinkles posted:

i bought the everything bundle during the steam sale, but it could be a long time before i want to play it second time. do you think it's okay to play with WotC out of the gate?

It'll have some confusing moments but I think like a third of all the people that have played XCOM 2 have experienced it that way so :shrug:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Rinkles posted:

I hated XCOM2 vanilla, I think it’s a bad game that is miraculously turned into a great game by War of the Chosen. Just play that straight off, the learning curve isn’t a big deal. Just stay away from the “mysterious alien weapons” mission, that kicks off the alien lords DLC which sucks poo poo.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I hated XCOM2 vanilla, I think it’s a bad game that is miraculously turned into a great game by War of the Chosen. Just play that straight off, the learning curve isn’t a big deal. Just stay away from the “mysterious alien weapons” mission, that kicks off the alien lords DLC which sucks poo poo.

Agreed with all of this, just play it all at once. I don't go back to games generally, and it was perfectly fine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
While we are on the topic: If I were to re-re-re-re-replay XCOM2, should I play with Long War or does that become tedious?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
In regard to the vanila xcom debate, I agree it’s better to have wotc on and startover from failure than as new game+. It is an addition, not extra.

I did my new game+ with mod class and have more fun over it.

Antigravitas posted:

While we are on the topic: If I were to re-re-re-re-replay XCOM2, should I play with Long War or does that become tedious?
Long war sucks. All it really did is add deployment time, infinite reinforcement, and 2x to 5x enemies in group. Immersion breaking and unfun.

If you really want to do it anyway, download some custom OP class mod to even the tedious playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I always thought the tedium was the point of Long War mods