Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think Chaos is boring as much as they could use some extra flavourful mechanics.

Chaos Marks for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chaos Matthews

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Yeah Chaos is boring but not without tricks. They even have dragons and manticores, not to mention giants and trolls. And some of the best heavy infantry and undisputed best artillery in the game.

They’re just boring as gently caress.

Boredom is a choice. You could say any faction is boring for any reason. Why is Chaos boring? Well, they just have great infantry, powerful cavalry, tons of monsters, and the best artillery. What could possibly be more borrrrring? So bored. You don't have to play Pontus, dude.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

True but it is coming back in like a year. I'm sure Games Workshop is putting a lot of faith in Total War fans (and Vermitide!) being willing to take out the several comedically large bank loans needed to buy their models.
Given how little GW takes in royalties each year according to their investor report and how closely they're working with CA on stuff that will be in the Old World launch it's clear they view Total War and earlier Dawn War as just extremely effective ad campaigns for the plastic dude mans. GW made 150~ million pounds in profit last year about 15 of which came from royalties. Substantial but nowhere near the amount they make from models.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll say it: I've always liked the giant, armoured Chaos Warrior aesthetic. They're Chaos Marines in a setting without a good guy equivalent, so they stand out more. I think the height of their inexorable menace is in that CG Mark of Chaos intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enBMSH5ghc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordja posted:

I'll say it: I've always liked the giant, armoured Chaos Warrior aesthetic. They're Chaos Marines in a setting without a good guy equivalent, so they stand out more. I think the height of their inexorable menace is in that CG Mark of Chaos intro.

Space Marines were based on Chaos Warriors appearance wise.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Boredom is a choice. You could say any faction is boring for any reason. Why is Chaos boring? Well, they just have great infantry, powerful cavalry, tons of monsters, and the best artillery. What could possibly be more borrrrring? So bored. You don't have to play Pontus, dude.

Because their outdated horde mechanics make you have to park your rear end and not do anything on a lot of turns and for some reason they're the only faction that can cause attrition on themselves. Every horde faction in TW2 has a much better feel on the strategic map, including Nakai, who is also not that much fun to play. When you look at the VCoast or the Beastmen campaign (post-Taurox) it's like night and day. It's not a question of what units they have available, I actually really like playing WoC in multiplayer but the campaign is just glacially slow

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I wouldn't say no to them looking back at Chaos Warriors and putting some more meat on their campaign mechanic bones. The mechanic for the gods having the most corruption thing they're implementing for the Daemon factions could be taken advantage of as well, with things like Chaos Marks on units similar to how Greenskin units can get upgrades with scrap (with the mark's effectiveness boosted by whichever god is ascendant). There's probably way more things they could add too, and I hope they do. I don't consider them really boring, but fairly rigid in how their campaign starts and where it goes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
At the very least Sigvald should be broken off and made into a Slaanesh lord

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Mark of Chaos got the scale right. It feels like the Chaos Warriors in the TW games are too comparable to the random humans in size. It lessens them, in a way. Then again, melting them with artillery or mass ranged fire also belittles them, so there's that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CA needs to fix chaos ponies

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

litany of gulps posted:

drat CA! Learn you some fantasy history! I will not pre-order again! CAGrace is a woman! :argh:

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Lore Question: Is the whole 'Skaven do not exist!' thing just a joke that they have doubled down on to a ridiculous degree?

It seems that the Empire does not deny the existence of Chaos demons, orcs, vampires, zombies, and a thousand other weird horrors. Why Skaven?

Like, they presumably do not deny the existence of Beastmen, who are humanlike animals, but they do deny the existence of Skaven, who are humanlike animals with rat heads instead of goat heads?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Lore Question: Is the whole 'Skaven do not exist!' thing just a joke that they have doubled down on to a ridiculous degree?

It seems that the Empire does not deny the existence of Chaos demons, orcs, vampires, zombies, and a thousand other weird horrors. Why Skaven?

Like, they presumably do not deny the existence of Beastmen, who are humanlike animals, but they do deny the existence of Skaven, who are humanlike animals with rat heads instead of goat heads?

Because acknowledging the Skaven are already inside every major human city, digging underground, constantly ready to invade but never able to do so due to infighting, is a lot worse than the bad guy being "over there" in the distance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Those other menaces are comparatively limited in number and are very much an external threat. Like, Chaos invasions always sweep down from the north so the Empire can make preparations to fight them. Meanwhile, the Skaven are by far the most populous race in Warhammer, are pretty much spread under the entire planet, and if they got their act together, could literally rise up and devour cities whole. People would freak if they knew about that.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Mordja posted:

Those other menaces are comparatively limited in number and are very much an external threat. Like, Chaos invasions always sweep down from the north so the Empire can make preparations to fight them. Meanwhile, the Skaven are by far the most populous race in Warhammer, are pretty much spread under the entire planet, and if they got their act together, could literally rise up and devour cities whole. People would freak if they knew about that.

I feel the lore for the Greenskins is almost identical but that they don't live under the humans and aren't kept secret.

edit: in that they are the most populous thing around and if they stopped infighting they'd win ...or that is more a 40K thing

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 9, 2021

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I bought that game due to this video, decent campaign but with absolutely no replayability.

Someone in the comments made a fun observation, the empire troops are outnumbered but take on the chaos warriors almost 1:1 ratio in casualties. So these must be some elite rear end state troops specifically hunted down down by this khornate warband for being a worthy fight.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mordja posted:

That shot from overhead showing just how loving huge they are compared to a normal warrior is awesome. You just know poo poo is gonna end badly.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It feels weird to say because it's not like these are very narratively focused games but the reason I think so much Chaos is dull isn't really mechanical. Ultimately there's just something about playing a mindless horde of daemons out to destroy the world or whatever that's not that compelling to me. They're thematically boring, not mechanically.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah i think Chaos would be immediately more interesting as a faction if their goal wasn't almost always just "Crush, kill and destroy"

You'd think Sigvald would want to carve out a piece of the world to establish the most glorious pleasure palace instead or something. The "crush kill and destroy" motivation only really fits Khorne

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Chaos being four distinct gods, all with their absurd quirks and self-destructive obsessions they share with their weirdo followers, that hate and fight wach other as much as they hate and fight "Order" races is interesting and good. Chaos being a single, united, giant horde of faceless warriors and demons whose sole purpose is destroying all of civilization is extremely boring and lame.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i love the keeper of secrets animations but im kind of worried n'kari wont be as sassy since hes kinda doing a monster pose during all the vids so far

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i love the keeper of secrets animations but im kind of worried n'kari wont be as sassy since hes kinda doing a monster pose during all the vids so far

Did you see those shoulder muscles move?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mr. Grapes! posted:

People will ride a joke to death but the skaven denial has two components in the lore:

1.) Official Empire policy is that there’s no such thing as skaven. You saw them? Very large rats. You saw the rats talking? Surely some mutant or beastmen. They had Gatling guns?? Preposterous. Most officials are aware but have decided to not make too much noise aside from hiring some extra rat catchers now and then because

2.) Individuals that make a lot of noise about civilized rat men down in the sewers tend to get a visit from a clan eshin assassin

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

So we've established the reasoning behind the Slaaneshi crab claws. What is up with the anteater raptor things? Does nature also constantly try to evolve anteaters?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Muscle Tracer posted:

So we've established the reasoning behind the Slaaneshi crab claws. What is up with the anteater raptor things? Does nature also constantly try to evolve anteaters?

they're called 'snootlers' and that is the shape that slaanesh decided was most erotic. also they kind of look like slaanesh's symbol if you look at them side on kinda

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That type of weirdness I have always liked in Slaanesh as it makes them more then just a generic lust faction.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Triskelli posted:

People will ride a joke to death but the skaven denial has two components in the lore:

1.) Official Empire policy is that there’s no such thing as skaven. You saw them? Very large rats. You saw the rats talking? Surely some mutant or beastmen. They had Gatling guns?? Preposterous. Most officials are aware but have decided to not make too much noise aside from hiring some extra rat catchers now and then because

2.) Individuals that make a lot of noise about civilized rat men down in the sewers tend to get a visit from a clan eshin assassin

at least the skaven credit it to magic ritual as well, but, well, that is the skaven account.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Just imagine what those things can suck. :wow:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Muscle Tracer posted:

Nah Slaanesh just really likes tongue

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

I like the aesthetic, I just think it's better served by having variants. You'd think Slaanesh would have some Sigvaldy dudes in nipple plate, prancing around the battlefield with a rapier and trying to 1v1 everyone. You'd have some phalangite-esque warriors obsessed with perfect discipline and perfect tactics. You'd have shirtless drugged-up berzerkers who do poo poo like the scene in FotR where Aragorn stabs the orc and he just pulls the sword further in and smiles. Every god, even boring fucko Khorne, has a lot to work with. It's constrained by having to physically sculpt and produce every toy soldier.

I also think Undivided is more interesting in recent 40k lore. The different legions having very different views of the gods is very cool, and humanizing. The Black Legion has a greco-roman view. You may not like the gods, but they exist, and they will gently caress you up if you don't appease them. Some people have a patron, some people pray to whoever seems most helpful.

Then there's the Word Bearers who are almost christian, with a holy book, and devoutly loving the four as part of a larger single whole.

There's tons of stuff to do beyond the black metal demon vikings, that would just make the black metal demon vikings cooler in contrast.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

litany of gulps posted:

This post is weird

The army is fine and good and strong, the campaign is boring as gently caress. And it takes forever, because AI has a natural aversion to the player, which makes most of them not want to fight each other, because warring the same faction boosts relations.

Also they’re the least fun and most tedious horde

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 9, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like the aesthetic, I just think it's better served by having variants. You'd think Slaanesh would have some Sigvaldy dudes in nipple plate, prancing around the battlefield with a rapier and trying to 1v1 everyone. You'd have some phalangite-esque warriors obsessed with perfect discipline and perfect tactics. You'd have shirtless drugged-up berzerkers who do poo poo like the scene in FotR where Aragorn stabs the orc and he just pulls the sword further in and smiles. Every god, even boring fucko Khorne, has a lot to work with. It's constrained by having to physically sculpt and produce every toy soldier.
Oh, sure. I for one really like that Tzeentch Warrior look the old Warhammer MMO concepted.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mordja posted:

Oh, sure. I for one really like that Tzeentch Warrior look the old Warhammer MMO concepted.

concept art for that game ruled.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I am here for the Slaaneshi snootlers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A Perfect Twist posted:

I feel the lore for the Greenskins is almost identical but that they don't live under the humans and aren't kept secret.

edit: in that they are the most populous thing around and if they stopped infighting they'd win ...or that is more a 40K thing

Fantasy Orcs have never really been as big in population as 40K Orks. They don't seem to have the same explosive growth and their numbers are never really described in the same terms.

Honestly Skaven are closer to 40K Orks than Orcs are thematically.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Mordja posted:

I mained a Chosen in Age of Reckoning and the aesthetic was incredible. Every tier of armour had these increasingly ornate and bad-rear end designs. My Order main was a Warrior Priest, which also had fantastic visual design throughout. I sorely miss that game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scandalous posted:

I mained a Chosen in Age of Reckoning and the aesthetic was incredible. Every tier of armour had these increasingly ornate and bad-rear end designs. My Order main was a Warrior Priest, which also had fantastic visual design throughout. I sorely miss that game.

It's been rebooted by fans and is entirely free to play, not even a pay to win system, nowadays https://www.returnofreckoning.com/

e: also an SA thread for it, albeit no one has posted in a few months https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917780

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 9, 2021

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's been rebooted by fans and is entirely free to play, not even a pay to win system, nowadays https://www.returnofreckoning.com/

e: also an SA thread for it, albeit no one has posted in a few months https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917780
Yeah I heard of that, but thank you. Sadly I’m too old and employed to play MMOs anymore. I barely find time to press the end turn button and force move a line of Perfect Chosen Lads into an artillery barrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Where’s the slaaneshlings turning into a very sensual voltron