Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

buddy they won’t even let me garf a cino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

he moved to Canada in his mid-late teens. I think some of the idiosyncratic speech patterns are ESL stuff, but I don't know enough Arabic speakers to be confident.

Yeah, be honest, I'm sure it affects him. In college I helped a fair amount of exchange students with their English writing, most of them were from Japan, but some other places. I would help some people whose spoken English sounded totally native, not even an accident when I talked with them, but their writing came off as nonsense sometimes. Just certain sentences would make no sense.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Empty Sandwich posted:

suddenly occurs to me that he can't blame millennials or he would have by now
Millennials are the only ones who have any interest in Garfield, ironic or otherwise.

Empty Sandwich posted:

he moved to Canada in his mid-late teens. I think some of the idiosyncratic speech patterns are ESL stuff, but I don't know enough Arabic speakers to be confident.
He was born in Canada, but after 30 seconds on Google I can't tell at what age he left so I can't tell what his first language is. He does refer to Canada as his "home country" though. I think his speaking style is more a side effect of his brainworms than ESL, but that's just my interpretation.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does anybody in the thread speak Arabic? I wonder if you could tell if he’s thinking the sentence in Arabic and writing it in English.

Also, the fact that IIRC he bailed college after one year after making a giant stink about going kinda implies he wasn’t very studious in school, so he probably didn’t actively spend a lot of effort trying to perfect his English…

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I think some of it, at least, is affected speech that Nathen uses to sound forceful and unique. It's the verbal version of his stupid open-mouth expression

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I know I sorta sounded like I was defending him, I just know writing is a way different thing from speaking in another language. On the other hand he's also clearly nuts and it's part of his brand to entergage us with.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I think some of it, at least, is affected speech that Nathen uses to sound forceful and unique.

That's a bingo. He's trying sooo hard to sound sophisticated, distinguished, successful. It's kind of a shame, honestly, that he feels the need to fabricate his personality so obsessively- I think he has a pretty interesting combination of life factors and his "Story" offers a net gain to society, but he needs to learn how to keep it real lol and tone things down a wee bit.

I think it's way less about ESL stuff than I initially perceived- he's far more concerned with his audience judging him for being dumb than being Arab

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Arabs are roasting him on tiktok for not being fluent in his arabic either lmao.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The Alchemist posted:

Arabs are roasting him on tiktok for not being fluent in his arabic either lmao.

Garf of all trades...

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
... Heathcliff of none

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

... Heathcliff of none

Imagine missing out on the opportunity to become the youngest ham blimp operator because you dedicated your life to the wrong cat, lol

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine missing out on the opportunity to become the youngest ham blimp operator because you dedicated your life to the wrong cat, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This could have been you, Nathen. This could have been you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Nathen missed out again https://godzillafoods.com/

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Escape From Noise posted:

I would help some people whose spoken English sounded totally native, not even an accident when I talked with them, but their writing came off as nonsense sometimes. Just certain sentences would make no sense.

If the internet is any indication, most native English speakers from English-speaking countries can't write for poo poo either. Nathen is one of them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Long-Time Lurker posted:

If the internet is any indication, most native English speakers from English-speaking countries can't write for poo poo either. Nathen is one of them.

Please. I know I'm garbage at posting. BUT I REFUSE TO STOP!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

steinrokkan posted:

strange way to talk about your mom dude heyoooh!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Ooooooohhhhhhhh!!!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Modern Heathcliff's surrealism is probably a better match for Nathen's unhinged personality too.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Krazy Kat Kielbasa

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The egeez website is really weird. It looks like IP owners are supposed to sign up for an account to sell through it? Nothing appears to be for sale but I'm wondering if the premise is that Disney etc. is supposed to voluntarily enter into an agreement to have their products sold through his platform? It doesn't seem like there's a real chance of that happening. Why must anyone think of egeez when they think of Mickey Mouse?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
This is the most business-brained poo poo I've ever seen. WHY WOULD ANYONE USE THIS???

Ship your way
After we onboard your products, you can accept orders and fulfil them ready for shipping to your customers locally or internationally.

-(it sounds like you are responsible for shipping the product itself- so what exactly does egeez do other than decide if you are worthy to sell on this "marketplace"?)

Geolocate your fans
Trusted users access egeez marketplace dedicated to global licensed brands whenever, wherever. Boost your visibility with fans in the grid geo-located. Add as many shipping locations.

-(this seems to mean that you can ship to anyone who orders? kind of an easy thing for egeez to tout if they aren't the ones actually fulfilling the orders. "You mean I'm personally on the hook for getting this thing 'whenever, wherever'?? Wow!!")

Maximize visibility with
Artificial Intelligence
Every cartoon or celebrity has fans worldwide. Our entergaging AI predicts the IP statistics per region such as popularity, ranking, sales, fan base, and more in order to target your licensed products to the right fans who will buy. You just ship!

-(again- I just ship? is this purely a marketing service? was this the same science that led Nathen to choose Garfield based solely of how much the license makes?)

Retain your
customers
egeez is your digital marketplace that will act on your behalf to automatically remind customers of your products with our creative content generator and social media expertise.

-(translation: Nathen will shill your product in an Instagram story which will probably make people less willing to buy it. The whole "Garfield is celibate" thing is so insane on its face I can't even attempt to exaggerate or parody it.)

Tailored Dashboard
Access your egeez reports, sales, orders, and more to make enhanced decision making with your licensor, marketing team, & manufacturer as you learn on the go about your licensed products.

-(I guess it would kind of suck if they didn't let you see how few people are buying through the platform, but ultimately what I'm wondering is how much they take off or add on to every order)

Overall the word I would choose is "upsetting". He doesn't seem like a malicious guy but I really don't see the value in any of these ventures. The truth is none of these things- egeez, GarfieldEATS, Scooby EATS, whatever- have a reason to exist.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

:pusheen:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Knormal posted:

He was born in Canada, but after 30 seconds on Google I can't tell at what age he left so I can't tell what his first language is. He does refer to Canada as his "home country" though. I think his speaking style is more a side effect of his brainworms than ESL, but that's just my interpretation.

well, poo poo. bilingual kids often end up in a weird state where it's hard for native speakers of either language to understand them, but that clears up by like... age 3.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

well, poo poo. bilingual kids often end up in a weird state where it's hard for native speakers of either language to understand them, but that clears up by like... age 3.

Well, he is the youngest Garfield franchisee!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

quote:

Boost your visibility with fans in the grid geo-located. Add as many shipping locations.

This is what I'm talking about. These two sentences make no sense. They're not Nathen's worst efforts but I had to re-read these several times to try to make sense of them and the only way I can is to rearrange the words and add more of them.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It's almost French syntax, like how the red bicycle is le bicyclette rouge ("the bike red", makes as much sense as fans geo-located)

English is apparently one of the few languages where the order of how to describe things (size, colour, other characteristics) isn't clearly defined, but through mostly immersion native speakers use them in agreement while also not being able to articulate how exactly the rules work.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Futanari Damacy posted:

It's almost French syntax, like how the red bicycle is le bicyclette rouge ("the bike red", makes as much sense as fans geo-located)

English is apparently one of the few languages where the order of how to describe things (size, colour, other characteristics) isn't clearly defined, but through mostly immersion native speakers use them in agreement while also not being able to articulate how exactly the rules work.

Again, I don't fault Nathen personally but it's very clear that he does all this stuff himself and is either too cheap to hire a proofreader or is so narcissistic that he thinks he doesn't need one.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Yoooo thanks for this!!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Futanari Damacy posted:

Is Nathen french canadian? That would really explain why his grammar and syntax are so messed up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Futanari Damacy posted:

This is the most business-brained poo poo I've ever seen. WHY WOULD ANYONE USE THIS???

Because it makes him money.

He's basically just trying to intermediate between IP holders and people who want crap based on that IP.

I could see it being valuable if like a big consulting firm like McKinsey did a huge study on brand awareness and desirability among demos all over the world and then basically set up a marketplace where you could come with IP and contract a (Chinese) manufacturer to make low-grade crap with your celibate cat that hates Mondays on it, choosing the items to slap said celibate cat onto based on the market data. And then each of the parties (IP Holder, Manufacturor, Market-owner) would each get a cut of each sale based on some built in formula.

In that sense, it would have some similarities to things like that NYSE or more likely commodities markets - a kind of IP clearing house, especially because Chinese manufacturing companies disappear or reform sometimes to avoid liabilities or get out of contracts, theoretically the clearinghouse would have enough clout with the CCP to make them enforce the contracts.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

We doing that thing again where we speculate on Nathen's nationality and foreignness to explain why he's weird instead of accepting that he's a narcissist and brain poisoned by money?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Steve Jorbs posted:

We doing that thing again where we speculate on Nathen's nationality and foreignness to explain why he's weird instead of accepting that he's a narcissist and brain poisoned by money?

No

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah, living in Montréal, Québec for years and knowing anything of French is quite a leap of logic to make and you should absolutely be offended by the insinuation.

pseudanonymous posted:

Because it makes him money.

He's basically just trying to intermediate between IP holders and people who want crap based on that IP.

Yeah this is obvious, but... those channels all already exist? Merchandising anything is predicated on being able to get it to the people who want it. Disney isn't closing their stores to do this instead. And does it actually make him money? It doesn't seem like there are any takers as it's not clear how this is advantageous to selling something through a brick and mortar retailer like Wal-Mart or any number of online stores that already exist.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah, living in Montréal, Québec for years and knowing anything of French is quite a leap of logic to make and you should absolutely be offended by the insinuation.

Yeah this is obvious, but... those channels all already exist? Merchandising anything is predicated on being able to get it to the people who want it. Disney isn't closing their stores to do this instead. And does it actually make him money? It doesn't seem like there are any takers as it's not clear how this is advantageous to selling something through a brick and mortar retailer like Wal-Mart or any number of online stores that already exist.

It's the loving stupid "entrepreneurial spirit" bullshit. In theory apps like Uber and Lyft are a marketplace for buys of rides and sellers of rides, and those are making tons of theoretical dollars.

A lot of the "successful" apps and tech companies do the same thing, they basically try to dis-disintermediate, wedge themselves between buyers and sellers. Sometimes having an actual marketplace can add value, but if you're doing cargo cult entrepreneurship I get how you come up with egeez.

init
Jun 20, 2021

godzillaEATs doesnt quite have the same ring to it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can somebody fill me in on the ham blimp; is that in the thread somewhere?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

david_a posted:

yeah, turn off your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

david_a posted: