Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wizards` pattern of lovely behavior is bigger than her. It's one thing to say "leave my mentions", it's another to suggest that this is some "fire" that people are "adding on to".

Sure. But she’s still allowed to have an opinion contrary to mine cause she’s her own person and isn’t obligated to like us using her name as part of a larger cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wizards` pattern of lovely behavior is bigger than her. It's one thing to say "leave my mentions", it's another to suggest that this is some "fire" that people are "adding on to".

The thing is, Twitter social media fights take on a life of their own and often the person at the center of it is left severely drained and exhausted from all this poo poo even if they did ask for it (and I’m speaking from experience). She’s not saying don’t criticize WotC, just to give her a break now that things have been fixed. Tanya is a person and her health and safety matters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Edit: you know what, never mind, I'm dropping it.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 9, 2021

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is pretty amazing, especially how the incentive to contribute is a "membership" to their really sad attempt at a TSR museum.

I visited lake Geneva this summer when I took a gig in the area and hadn’t heard of the museum til it’s location popped up on google maps.

I don’t think I’ve seen a sadder looking museum, at least from the outside. It was allegedly open four or five days a week but all you could see through the windows was random clutter and crap. Kind of like one of the bad old gaming stores on their last legs.

Town itself seemed nice though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rhandhali posted:

I visited lake Geneva this summer when I took a gig in the area and hadn’t heard of the museum til it’s location popped up on google maps.

I don’t think I’ve seen a sadder looking museum, at least from the outside. It was allegedly open four or five days a week but all you could see through the windows was random clutter and crap. Kind of like one of the bad old gaming stores on their last legs.

That’s because it’s intentionally in what used to be the local gaming store TSR ran, I believe. They are buying artifacts and stuff for the collection, but it’s not really a museum for everyone to enjoy. It’s a pilgrimage for grogs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Toshimo posted:

Meals is still at WotC, but has been removed from D&D entirely and collects his paycheck for something vague on the Magic the Gathering side.

The topic came up a few months ago in this thread and someone saw on his linkedin that he has filler middle/upper management job titles for both D&D and Magic listed as present positions. They're just shuffling him around to consult on D&D in other ventures, I guess. First with Baldur's Gate 3 and now the Forgotten Realms MtG expansion.

Rhandhali posted:

I've visited the area, too. It's alright but not really remarkable about anything besides being a footnote in D&D's history. Apparently that's all it needs to be right now though because this isn't even the only D&D-centric project people are trying to launch out of there right now:

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/8650011002

quote:

Dungeons & Dragons immersive fantasy restaurant, amusement experience proposed for Lake Geneva

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Lake Geneva has a bunch of millionaire/billionaire mansions on the lake and is traditionally where the richest people in Chicago/Wisconsin go to flaunt their wealth to each other, it's nice enough but way overpriced.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arivia posted:

That’s because it’s intentionally in what used to be the local gaming store TSR ran, I believe. They are buying artifacts and stuff for the collection, but it’s not really a museum for everyone to enjoy. It’s a pilgrimage for grogs.

IIRC, Tim Kask said it's not even remotely a museum, it's a store that sells "official TSR" merchandise like dice and poo poo. There's an adventure on there by LaNasa(sadly, he got Poag to do the art, but I don't begrudge poag for taking a paycheck long before LaNasa was well known) and some other garbage. It's mostly just cheap poo poo you can get made up like buttons, pins, patches etc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

"Oh yeah we are totally going to replatform the entire backend of our site to a non-existent blockchain technology, nbd should only take a few quarters"

somehow i have a feeling this means nothing and is just throwing buzzwords at investors

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

"Oh yeah we are totally going to replatform the entire backend of our site to a non-existent blockchain technology, nbd should only take a few quarters"

somehow i have a feeling this means nothing and is just throwing buzzwords at investors

This is my take as well. Like it's clearly very dumb and I'm not sure what possible actual benefit this could be for Kickstarter beyond bilking gullible investors out of money, but "moving to blockchain" isn't the same as starting a cryptocurrency or messing with NFTs, it exists within the same griftosphere but it's not quite the same.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What possible benefit could it even have? The blockchain serves no purpose and solves no problem here (or anywhere).

It's just as dumb as Ubisoft adding NFTs for cosmetic items in their games. They literally already have ways to buy cosmetics and they're already tied to your game accounts and crap.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bottom Liner posted:

What possible benefit could it even have? The blockchain serves no purpose and solves no problem here (or anywhere).

It's just as dumb as Ubisoft adding NFTs for cosmetic items in their games. They literally already have ways to buy cosmetics and they're already tied to your game accounts and crap.

yeah but by saying "blockchain" they interrupt the logic circuits in the brains of venture capitalists, causing them to dispense money

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"What if donating to a bunch of Kickstarters was an even better way to launder money"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

A friend of mine pulled this TSR lolsuit from pacer. I'm not a lawyer so have zero idea how dumb this is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DDWHvDc6EDE43B0ykWS0lQeyQRCyTpzF/view?usp=drivesdk

I am also not a lawyer, but they seem to be making some pretty strong claims here...

quote:

8. Upon information and belief, Defendant stopped manufacturing and selling a number of the products previously sold and distributed through TSR, Inc.

9. Despite not maintaining the registrations for the Marks at Issue or putting them into use in interstate commerce, Defendant has continued to assert ownership of the Marks at Issue and repeatedly ordered Plaintiff to stop registering, using or promoting the Marks at Issue.
..that are obviously false to even my non-lawyer eyes in at least some cases, given that, for example, Wizards is actively selling Star Frontiers in both digital and print-on-demand form.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's to draw the attention of stupid investors who will go after anything with a current trending buzzword.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's worth remembering that "on the blockchain" has been tech investor bait (and as much of a meme) since before NFTs ever went mainstream. As far as I can tell there's never a readily explainable, practical benefit to blockchain anything for companies that want to increase their valuation and stock price by throwing buzzwords around, but it doesn't have to have a benefit if saying it makes the line go up.

Now this doesn't mean Kickstarter won't get into crypto/NFT/whatever at some point down the line, and I'll be honest that I'm not sure what the actual viable alternative is. Kickstarter is the platform everyone uses because despite its numerous flaws and lovely management decisions, it's still the best bet someone who isn't a big company waving a license around has of getting projects in front of peoples' eyes and crowdfunded. There are alternatives, but none that have the reach that KS does. Unless KS comes out with some "no crypto/NFT poo poo" statement (incredibly unlikely) or one of its competitors in the crowdfunding space suddenly takes off really big, this feels like it's one of those things where a lot of smaller designers and publishers are basically gonna have a choice between "use KS and actually get funded" or "don't plan on reliably funding any of your projects."

e; it's like how every few months Patreon makes noises like they're gonna do something really dumb and lovely, eventually they are going to do something so dumb and so lovely that a bunch of users are wholly forced off or make the decision to abandon the service, but doing so means that for a lot of those people they're going to take significant hits to their income which might never recover. Or Twitch, Twitch sucks poo poo on numerous levels, but if you want to try and make some sort of living streaming then what are your serious alternatives?

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 9, 2021

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/21/long-island-iced-tea-micro-cap-adds-blockchain-to-name-and-stock-soars.html

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The only crypto/NFT thing that would make sense for KS would be some kind of blockchain list of donators, or limited NFTs for digital backer rewards. Like the same way you get backer lists in game credits, or high donations mean a shoutout somewhere in the game (like an NPC), you could have digital-only collectibles that are more like a public digital donor plaque.
Presumably KS would be managing and supporting it, since NFTs still require a server to hold the "digital item" as long as it's anything besides a string of text.

Like, it's not a lovely idea, except to the extent that crypto/NFTs involve wasted energy to sustain, but it's one of the less stupid or hackneyed uses for NFTs that I've heard of, instead of just "something something NFTs because they're hot" with absolutely no point.

I mean assuming that's actually what it's about, I didn't read the press release or whatever because gently caress that. I'm having a real hard time visualizing what else it could be so if it is something else then it's probably real poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured they’d go for tokens representing the backer pledges or rewards so that people could trade them around and create shipping nightmares for creators.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't understand enough of what a blockchain even is to comment on this development.

https://twitter.com/cypheroftyr/status/1468703351877652490

I just wanted to report that there was, after all, an apology for Tanya and she seems satisfied.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bottom Liner posted:

My favorite part of the Ubisoft thing is their faq has a question of "Couldn't you do this easier without Blockchain?" "Yes."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
We do these things not because they are easy, but because investors and management are particularly thick hogs.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

this year there was a good punchline to the Long Island Iced Tea blockchain pivot that I'm sure no one could have ever seen coming: they never lifted a single finger to do anything blockchain related and it was all an insider trading scheme.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/10/investing/blockchain-long-island-insider-trading/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

This is my take as well. Like it's clearly very dumb and I'm not sure what possible actual benefit this could be for Kickstarter beyond bilking gullible investors out of money, but "moving to blockchain" isn't the same as starting a cryptocurrency or messing with NFTs, it exists within the same griftosphere but it's not quite the same.
"Every time we take a DB backup it will include field containing a hash of the previous backup" is literally all that's required to "move to blockchain". It's a (usually deliberately) meaningless statement.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

zachol posted:

The only crypto/NFT thing that would make sense for KS would be some kind of blockchain list of donators, or limited NFTs for digital backer rewards. Like the same way you get backer lists in game credits, or high donations mean a shoutout somewhere in the game (like an NPC), you could have digital-only collectibles that are more like a public digital donor plaque.
Presumably KS would be managing and supporting it, since NFTs still require a server to hold the "digital item" as long as it's anything besides a string of text.

Like, it's not a lovely idea, except to the extent that crypto/NFTs involve wasted energy to sustain, but it's one of the less stupid or hackneyed uses for NFTs that I've heard of, instead of just "something something NFTs because they're hot" with absolutely no point.

I mean assuming that's actually what it's about, I didn't read the press release or whatever because gently caress that. I'm having a real hard time visualizing what else it could be so if it is something else then it's probably real poo poo.

I'm going to preface this that I'm nowhere near an expert in computer science, so if anyone with a better understanding of the subject matter wants to override me please go ahead: It sounds like they're looking to convert the backend of their platform that manages transactions and contracts to blockchain technology, which is within the purview of what that technology is designed to handle but, like most things that use the blockchain, probably isn't going to work any better than their current system? Especially if they're using one that's running on a PoS model which, while much more energy efficient than the PoW model is also a fair bit less secure.

It's kind of the problem that NFTs and most other crypto ventures run into: The technology is technically capable of handling the task they're using it for, it's just not particularly good at it compared to other alternatives and the main appeal is either to bilk money out of venture capitalists or because the idea of a decentralized network is appealing to libertarian types.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nuns with Guns posted:

$1000 Diamond & Thank You Letter of Wonder

Just lol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KingKalamari posted:

I'm going to preface this that I'm nowhere near an expert in computer science, so if anyone with a better understanding of the subject matter wants to override me please go ahead: It sounds like they're looking to convert the backend of their platform that manages transactions and contracts to blockchain technology, which is within the purview of what that technology is designed to handle but, like most things that use the blockchain, probably isn't going to work any better than their current system? Especially if they're using one that's running on a PoS model which, while much more energy efficient than the PoW model is also a fair bit less secure.

It's kind of the problem that NFTs and most other crypto ventures run into: The technology is technically capable of handling the task they're using it for, it's just not particularly good at it compared to other alternatives and the main appeal is either to bilk money out of venture capitalists or because the idea of a decentralized network is appealing to libertarian types.
PoS/PoW isn't needed to be "blockchain technology", those are the just different implementations of determining who is allowed to approve changes in a trustless environment. If it's a trusted environment, like Kickstarter running all their stuff off servers they control, you just use standard authentication methods. Of course now you're just using a database which stores its info as a series of changes to a previous known state and tags a hash of the previous change (or state depending on implementation) to the change records. Only that last bit makes it a "blockchain" and is completely superfluous in a trusted environment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Roadie posted:

I am also not a lawyer, but they seem to be making some pretty strong claims here...

..that are obviously false to even my non-lawyer eyes in at least some cases, given that, for example, Wizards is actively selling Star Frontiers in both digital and print-on-demand form.
I'm just quoting this because Star Frontiers is involved!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Saying you're moving your privately owned business full of private customer data to "Blockchain technology" is like saying you're porting apocalypse world to "D20". It can mean anything from a full 2001 d20 system conversion to "you roll 2d20 and we multiplied all the numbers by 3.4".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Splicer posted:

PoS/PoW isn't needed to be "blockchain technology", those are the just different implementations of determining who is allowed to approve changes in a trustless environment. If it's a trusted environment, like Kickstarter running all their stuff off servers they control, you just use standard authentication methods. Of course now you're just using a database which stores its info as a series of changes to a previous known state and tags a hash of the previous change (or state depending on implementation) to the change records. Only that last bit makes it a "blockchain" and is completely superfluous in a trusted environment.

Huh, so it's even stupider than I thought. Truly the crypto boom is a well of nonsense decisions with no bottom...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingKalamari posted:

Huh, so it's even stupider than I thought.

That’s blockchain!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

So this whole collaboration with Cleo is just for show, basically? Some no-show or no-work contracts for some of their consultants?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One of LawTwitter's better folks (at explaining things) has taken a look at the LOLsuit.. and they are.. not particularly impressed with it, on the whole and in just about every beat:

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1468922309469745157

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SirFozzie posted:

One of LawTwitter's better folks (at explaining things) has taken a look at the LOLsuit.. and they are.. not particularly impressed with it, on the whole and in just about every beat:

They've just discovered that wotc are literally selling the trademarked stuff on DTRPG right now, I don't think they were prepared for lanasa

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They've just discovered that wotc are literally selling the trademarked stuff on DTRPG right now, I don't think they were prepared for lanasa

but surely, you see, argue New TSR, this sneaky underhanded method of maintaining ownership is just bs, right? if you just sell old things with those logos just so you can keep the logos, that shouldn't be allowed?

It looks like the one part of their suit that could have some merit (if they filed it in a governing jurisdiction, which they haven't) is challenging original old TSR's actual ownership of the lizard man drawing; but given that the illustrator of that drawing, Greg Bell, isn't a party to the suit, New TSR would not appear to have any grounds to bring such a claim? It'd need to be Greg Bell or his estate bringing that suit. And they'd probably lose, on the basis that old TSR's documents are all gone but obviously they used his drawing as a trademark for years and he never complained at the time, so an argument that a license or work-for-hire agreement had existed in the 1970s might prevail anyway? Maybe?

It doesn't really matter, though, because the court will dismiss the entire case for being filed in a non-governing jurisdiction (and likely award attorney's fees haha) but if New TSR brings the same suit to an appropriate jurisdiction, they're going to lose spectacularly. Why yes, selling old products specifically to maintain your trademark ownership counts as maintaining your trademark ownership, and I think Hasbro's legal department probably knows what they gently caress they're doing in this regard.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I first heard about this lolsuit from Akiva's Twitter thread. I get the sense this is another performative lawsuit for grifting chuds upset that the SJWs at Wizards ruined pretend elf games?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"What's that? You want to sue this fruit farmer about who invented your phone? Sure, I'll sue Apple, most people freak out and settle when they get a letter from a lawyer."

I assume that's basically the mindset of the NC lawyer suing some company called Wizard of the Coast on behalf of some nerds called Tactical Studies Rules over a lizard man logo from the 80s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The American legal system is a nightmare, but allowing scumbags with money to waste all their money suing God or Antifa or whatever is one of its better features.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

SirFozzie posted:

You know, I was assuming all the lawsuit talk was a grift, but this is so strange and incompetent that I'm starting to question that. Like if I were doing a grift, I would hem and haw about why I hadn't actually filed anything and still needed more donations until I decided to just ghost people, not file a suit in a way that means I'd be out lawyer fees on an obviously losing proposition.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gao posted:

You know, I was assuming all the lawsuit talk was a grift, but this is so strange and incompetent that I'm starting to question that. Like if I were doing a grift, I would hem and haw about why I hadn't actually filed anything and still needed more donations until I decided to just ghost people, not file a suit in a way that means I'd be out lawyer fees on an obviously losing proposition.

It is some magical thinking nostalgic pipe dream bullshit. I genuinely believe that these folks believe "if only we were in charge of D&D, we could make it (for lack of a better phrase) Great Again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So this whole collaboration with Cleo is just for show, basically? Some no-show or no-work contracts for some of their consultants?
"Blockchain is a solution looking for a problem." They could be doing a full Proof of Stake validation, stored hashes for every delta, never compressing the database implementation, but from an actual utility standpoint there's absolutely no reason to. It will get them absolutely nothing that whatever their current setup is won't get them, whatever their current setup is. Which is not to say they're not doing it though. Companies throw money away on pointless boondoggles all the time.

e: OK I just properly read the article and it sounds like they actually are going to try to spin up a full cryptocoin crowdfunding platform which is a whole other kettle of lol I might effortpost about later

KingKalamari posted:

Huh, so it's even stupider than I thought. Truly the crypto boom is a well of nonsense decisions with no bottom...

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 9, 2021