Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eej posted:

I'm trying to think of the use case for the exile from library part of this card. Deck thinning? Removing potential bad draws from your current matchup?

A big flaming stink posted:

Holy poo poo I only now realized that Huntmaster doesn't give you additional copies for each copy you exile from your deck

Why the gently caress would they write the card that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they're going to implement all this complicated arcane bullshit, let me synchro summon already

Melding is already halfway there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Melding is already halfway there

That's Fusion!!!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That same set had tribute summoning so I guess someone was getting Ideas

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Yeah I get the reference but why

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's Fusion!!!

Wizards needs to print a card named "Polymerization" just to thumb YGO in the eye.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they're going to implement all this complicated arcane bullshit, let me synchro summon already

banding, but permanent

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007
These new cards seem to interact with Persistent Petitioner/Dragon's Approach in a way that might be . . .unexpected.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bringing merfolk back to modern tonight

Yeah!
In my lgs, people are also playing suboptimal/semi-budget or old decks. It’s really fun and my cheap living end deck fits right in.

Let’s just collectively ignore alchemy and instead play fun formats.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DreamScythe posted:

These new cards seem to interact with Persistent Petitioner/Dragon's Approach in a way that might be . . .unexpected.

I mean you still have to draw and cast the card to Do The Thing, not trivial in a 60 card deck. But even if it became a problem somehow, they could just rebalance the cards

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DreamScythe posted:

How so? If you pack your deck with dead cards, you can... thin your deck of those dead cards?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's Fusion!!!

Its both! Syncro in being purely creature based and not needing a spell, fusion in that the creatures are super specific (altho yes modern yugioh doesnt do that but bare with me)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hahahahahahahaahhajajahaha

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kind of surprised there's a large enough market for trad Chinese (I assume simplified already had these products?)

e: jfc isn't digital the worst format for mucho texto due to text size?

Its pretty clear they expect a 'you know what it does' approach to these cards rather than a full mechanical understanding.

Also maybe I missed it before but 'draft' is literally just discover from hearthstone from whatever cardpool.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DreamScythe posted:

Maybe, but I think Lost Legacy is the best enabler for this plan, unless you're building a one card combo in your SB it will let you draw a few cards from your deck when it goes off.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Wizards of the Coast company is not happy with me—that’s okay, I’ll still keep playing that garbage.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
these things are not magic cards

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalvanoo posted:

these things are not magic cards

More like tragic cards 😂😂😂🤣🤣

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Wizards of the Coast company is not happy with me—that’s okay, I’ll still keep playing that garbage.

Hey now, you seem to really enjoy merfolk. Don't be saying it's garbage already

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah I updated the OP to include their title.

I guess Koreans and some parts of the Chinese diaspora don't play draft, only commander?

Being in traditional means it only hits HK and Taiwan. And both LGSs I follow are loving pissed at this. I've known dudes for a literal decade now that do 3-4 drafts a weekend, and have been playing since the 90s and they are PISSED right now

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

And thinking that in 2019 they began printing Pokemon in traditional Chinese and it blew up and took over alot of floor space in those places, hmm yes dropping traditional chinese and switching to just english is sure gonna bring in new players here

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So it's intuitive enough what it means when the game asks you to draft from a spellbook but I'm still not clear on all the details. If you draft multiple cards from the spellbook are you allowed to take the same card multiple times? Is it a shared spellbook between players? The word draft implies it's like a physical booster pack, which would mean there's exactly 1 copy of all the cards for that game, but there's a lot of different ways they could have made it work.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ultima66 posted:

So it's intuitive enough what it means when the game asks you to draft from a spellbook but I'm still not clear on all the details. If you draft multiple cards from the spellbook are you allowed to take the same card multiple times? Is it a shared spellbook between players? The word draft implies it's like a physical booster pack, which would mean there's exactly 1 copy of all the cards for that game, but there's a lot of different ways they could have made it work.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-alchemy-2021-12-02

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultima66 posted:

They have stated that drafting a card from the spellbook doesn't remove it and it can show up to be drafted again.

I believe that answers all of the included questions.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I can't wait for Draft (wheel), which works like Draft, but if you choose the option that has been chosen the least amount of times by all players on Arena today, you get two copies instead!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's the one good idea hearthstone ever had, if you've ever heard of how 'discover' works in that game: you get presented 3 options off of a shortlist of cards in the game, and you get to pick the one you think is best for your current situation. you're not presented with the full list, because in that case it'd just be extra copies of the best card in that list

even then hearthstone backed into it b/c their previous go-to was 'randomly pick any card in the game for you' -- meaning that a card that gave you a random 2-drop could give you one of the best cards in the game or wipe your entire board. plus, their early implementations of discover Sucked because their shortlists weren't curated (a card that let you discover any card in the game with a certain keyword at the time had very high odds of giving you, again, one of the best cards in the game in certain classes)

mtg having a very specific shortlist should make it feel a bit different at least

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I know what Discover is in Hearthstone and it's a good mechanic. I just didn't know Draft in Arena is Discover and what the hell that's such a terrible name for it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Draft will be fine in Magic because the worst part about playing against Discover was that it essentially doubled or tripled the number is legendaries you could have in a deck (ie from 1 to 2 or 3) which makes playing around someone's deck extremely annoying if you're saving removal for their one or two bombs but they pull a third copy out of thin air

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
"Draft" as a keyword really makes me feel like they are running out of words. That feeling kinda started with cleave or something I have repressed.
I do look forward to finding out if they keep the translations consistent between the two meaning of the word.

Mechanically it is fine, but hilariously terrible for arena because I am quite certain that they will be unable to build a good interface to look up the details for all the cards in a "spellbook" inside the arena interface.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The chose Draft because you're picking a card out of other cards, and it's a word they would never use as a keyword in non-Digital Magic.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
"vivisect" would have been an infinitely better keyword than "cleave." both more evocative and flavorful

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

"vivisect" would have been an infinitely better keyword than "cleave." both more evocative and flavorful

Not me explaining what vivisect means to kids all day.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

the only way I see Cleave being a rational choice, is if the word itself needed to be as short as possible, so they were left with only bad choices

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the only way I see Cleave being a rational choice, is if the word itself needed to be as short as possible, so they were left with only bad choices

makes sense if my hypothesis is right (they split innistrad into 2 sets and had to fill out the vow design doc so they snatched the "hack" mechanic from kamigawa and hastily renamed it)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

makes sense if my hypothesis is right (they split innistrad into 2 sets and had to fill out the vow design doc so they snatched the "hack" mechanic from kamigawa and hastily renamed it)

It was devised during Streets of New Capenna design and was meant to feel like bribery, not hacking; if you pay the cost, you get to ignore some of the text. It didn't fill the gap it needed to fill there, but they liked it enough that when Crimson Vow came into Set Design with multikicker, they removed multikicker and used this mechanic instead.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm here because the squeeze of Arena has become too much and I don't want to pay boatloads of money to play this game. In-person drafts sound fun to me, as well as a cube for playing with friends. Are artisan or pauper cubes affordable/fun?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cleave should not have been cleave because cleave is something I would expect for a combat trick, or actually cutting something. Not "Reductive Kicker"
Omit is what I would have used and had it been an additional cost exactly like kicker.

Cleave would have been saved for some 'fixed' rampage effect where it deals its full power to each creature blocking it and then maybe can't trample? I don't know, design didn't hire me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

disaster pastor posted:

It was devised during Streets of New Capenna design and was meant to feel like bribery, not hacking; if you pay the cost, you get to ignore some of the text. It didn't fill the gap it needed to fill there, but they liked it enough that when Crimson Vow came into Set Design with multikicker, they removed multikicker and used this mechanic instead.

Oh yeah it should have been bribe and then the rules could read "if the bribe was paid, ignore the bracketed text"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I think a better application of "splice" is going to fit the hacking theme just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's funny that when I returned to MTG after literally 20 years away from the game and learned about all the tiny variations on kicker or whatever that got their own dogshit keywords, it's cleave of all things that leads people to claim that keywords have jumped the shark.