Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arivia posted:

isn't this actually the belief of some religions with reincarnation ideas? like buddhism or whatever, you have to experience all of the world's ills as part of finding release from suffering?

thats not choosing your reincarnation, but yes, there are beliefs that say you keep coming around until you experience what you need to to be able to move one, and that would imply that yes, sometimes you come back and get a nice hosed up life.

maybe next time around your life will be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

thats not choosing your reincarnation, but yes, there are beliefs that say you keep coming around until you experience what you need to to be able to move one, and that would imply that yes, sometimes you come back and get a nice hosed up life.

maybe next time around your life will be better

i better get a real nice one next, just a relaxing fun time. i'll be some old lady's housecat

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think I'd like to be an armadillo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm really hoping for spoiled bunny

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

From the same account (which is great, by the way):

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1436850837465174016

Alex Jones's career is so dead he's got to crash musty comic book guy streams for relevance now. And for the record, if you look down in the lower left corner, that's the "gently caress off @elmo, you dumb bitch" dweeb with his massive fivehead peeking out from behind Lance's chat.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1468588712296697861

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There was a football guy in the UK a few years back who was (or at least said he was) Buddhist and he got in a lot of poo poo for saying that disabled people were disabled because of something bad they'd done in a previous life. Ron somebody? Can't remember.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/AtomAtkinson/status/1468799076242182144?s=20

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sugar mouse posted:

I met a guy irl recently who also had this theory that everyone chooses their own reincarnation. I asked about abused children and he said, yes, them too... It really creeped me out. I told him to gently caress off but he still goes to my local pub and I just avoid him like hell.
Richard Bach fan?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusions_(Bach_novel)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vib Rib posted:

What the gently caress does "woke conservative mob" mean

I believe she is saying that "woke means cancels people"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Everyone actively hates us and how contemptible we are, but we found one another and we're even more miserable now so there

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brawnfire posted:

Everyone actively hates us and how contemptible we are, but we found one another and we're even more miserable now so there
An echo chamber of two :love:

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

I can understand reinventing the wheel, but reinventing Second Life is just infinitely more pathetic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wouldn't you know it
https://twitter.com/AtomAtkinson/status/1468828414186508289

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

at least second life had free flying dick generators

what the gently caress does the metaverse have

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

From the comments it appears their interest in things being pure and colorless extends beyond gold and diamonds.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Unkempt posted:

There was a football guy in the UK a few years back who was (or at least said he was) Buddhist and he got in a lot of poo poo for saying that disabled people were disabled because of something bad they'd done in a previous life. Ron somebody? Can't remember.

Was this somebody raised buddhist or a white dude that read some books by the Dalai Lama? Cuz while buddhism does generally teach that your past-life conduct influences your current birth (eg Hitler would come back as a roach), it does not teach making GBS threads on people like "your dad's an alcoholic? You deserve it!" You're supposed to be as upstanding as possible until you attain the status of boddhisatva and break out of the cycle, at which point your job is to help other souls get out. making GBS threads on people is not upstanding. At least that's my understanding, IANAB.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was this somebody raised buddhist or a white dude that read some books by the Dalai Lama? Cuz while buddhism does generally teach that your past-life conduct influences your current birth (eg Hitler would come back as a roach), it does not teach making GBS threads on people like "your dad's an alcoholic? You deserve it!" You're supposed to be as upstanding as possible until you attain the status of boddhisatva and break out of the cycle, at which point your job is to help other souls get out. making GBS threads on people is not upstanding. At least that's my understanding, IANAB.

Well it was driving me crazy so I had to google it and he wasn't a buddhist at all - it was Glenn Hoddle, who claimed to be a 'born again Christian' but also shat this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jan/30/newsstory.sport7 posted:

'I have got an inner belief and an inner faith with God. I do believe spiritually we have to progress because we've been here before. The physical body is just an overcoat for your spirit. At death you take the overcoat off and your spirit will go on to another life in a spirit dimension.
'I think we make mistakes when we are down here and our spirit has to come back and learn. That's why there is an injustice in the world. Why there's certain people born into the world with terrible physical problems and why there's a family who has got everything right, physically and mentally.'

What a twat.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That take alone should make his god make his legs fall off.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've seen it way more with devout Hindus as a means to prop up the caste system, but it is also pretty common in Therevada. It also pops up in a lot of traditional Japanese buddhisms too. For example, being born disabled is actively shameful because it is something you effectively brought on to yourself. Born with a clubbed foot or a missing hand? You did something lovely to deserve that.

It is just another form of social control. Since it is a proselytizing religion, a lot of westerners have an overly romantic view of Buddhism.

Though her lovely take seems more new agey to me. Lots of cross pollination with vedic religions there but new age tells on itself because it is fundamentally narcissistic with a healthy dose of solipsism.

Vitruvian Manic has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Dec 9, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"narcissist" and "sociopath" are absolute alarm bells in my mind. Whenever I see someone using them, I know that they're the one I should be wary of.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The use of “Miss” with her former married name is certainly a choice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lots of women who get divorced keep their previous married name, especially if they have a child who shares that name. Miss vs Ms is entirely personal preference. Fair play, says I.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

She's really very good, but I've always really loved this performace of The Dolls Song. She hits these incredibly difficult high notes perfectly. Where it seems like they'd be so high it would hurt, but it transports you. I believe she goes higher than the woman in the quoted video. Skip to 6m35s and watch through to the end for the insanely high notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dlGDNoliH0

I've always liked this one. Like, there is audible awe at that high note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp4LLnlKIg

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I've seen it way.more with devour Hindus
:stare:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
All this reincarnation talk just feels like someone had a really hard time reconciling a loving god with the world's suffering, and found an explanation that not only fixes it, but also dissolves all personal responsibility to be a good person and justifies not caring at all about making the world a better place, or working to reduce systemic suffering.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

How can you tell that the disabled person was a lovely human in a past life & not a phenomenally benevolent cockroach

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Borrovan posted:

How can you tell that the disabled person was a lovely human in a past life & not a phenomenally benevolent cockroach

See? You can't so that's why you can't go around making GBS threads on people for their past lives, you have no idea where they're coming from.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What the gently caress did whoever got reincarnated as Elon Musk do in their life? Is being Elon Musk a reward or a punishment?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The punishment is on us.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1468965933150400521?s=20

The comments on this one are full of weird nerds trying to deflect the seriousness of Tesla letting you browse forums and play video games while you drive.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Man I don't even hate the idea of online weddings, but there's something so pathetic about doing it on a shittier version of second life, an awful game where you can actually do poo poo and maybe not look like your wife's twin

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ReidRansom posted:

I've always liked this one. Like, there is audible awe at that high note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp4LLnlKIg

Watching the guy sitting behind her on the right and he's is just astonished and delighted - it's lovely to see :3: (at 3:45-4:00 and from about 6 mins onward) I know some of it is acting but there's a quality of genuine amazement there too

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Wait I worked it out if they they were a benevolent cockroach that means that in the life before that one they were probably like a racist hamster or something

Circle of life

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Your ethics determines your next life's species

Your species determines your next life's ethics

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vib Rib posted:

All this reincarnation talk just feels like someone had a really hard time reconciling a loving god with the world's suffering, and found an explanation that not only fixes it, but also dissolves all personal responsibility to be a good person and justifies not caring at all about making the world a better place, or working to reduce systemic suffering.

I had an Indian guy complaining to me about reincarnation just being a way to reinforce the caste system in India so yeah that seems right. He then went on to talk at length about why Mike Tyson was the best boxer of all time. I just wanted to finish my work and go his dog was cute but the whole house smelled like dog piss and I, too, smelled of dog piss when I left.

I hope I come back as a dog I wanna piss everywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bet the crowd guffawing at the beginning of the Doll performance when she's being wound up, about to walk off the stage etc have some fantastic views about modern comedy that would be perfect fodder for this thread.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Luckily reincarnation is a really simple concept agreed upon by all practitioners of all faiths that include it

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Groggy typing after a flight and lovely autocorrect his a hell of a drug.

Though I could go the Spielberg route and get real racist with it. Kalimaaaaaaaa!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

that's like the opposite of what buddism teaches

like the world is inherently 'bad' yes but just sitting back and doing nothing waiting to get reincarnated just means you'll get stuck in a karmic cycle of misfortune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Luckily reincarnation is a really simple concept agreed upon by all practitioners of all faiths that include it

Even within larger faith traditions, there are certainly not dozens of faith traditions with widely varying doctrines

I’m saying it’s just bouncing between benevolent cockroach and racist hamster forever unless you buy some DLC to get out of that loop