Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reminder that if you're near a Microcenter, they'll often have the best CPU prices.

e:12600K for $250, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

In a 3060 build your choices should be

5600x

Any should be fine, so I’d go based on what price you can get stuff for.

12700k isn’t gonna do you any good here.

Thank you! I finally found a good benchmark comparison at Puget System with the programs I actually use and looks like you are very right on the 12700 not being much of an upgrade for my use cases: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/12th-Gen-Intel-Core-CPU-Review-Roundup-2248/ Kinda surprised the two extra cores didn't make more of a difference! Glad I asked.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you live near a micro center, then $250 for a 12600k plus $20 off a compatible motherboard is a good deal. You're looking at $450 - $500 for those, which isn't any more expensive than a 5800X + a good B550 board. And you'll still be able to upgrade the GPU again in a few years and not be held back much by your CPU, if that's a concern.

A 12700K would be a pretty big waste of money.

edit: also I promise you that a 12600k will still feel like a massive step up from a 2600k

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 9, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

powderific posted:

Thank you! I finally found a good benchmark comparison at Puget System with the programs I actually use and looks like you are very right on the 12700 not being much of an upgrade for my use cases: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/12th-Gen-Intel-Core-CPU-Review-Roundup-2248/ Kinda surprised the two extra cores didn't make more of a difference! Glad I asked.

I don’t know where the more cores = more better thing came from (o wait I do, it was amd releasing ridiculously high core count CPUs because they couldn’t compete and thought they could market their way out of the hole), but it’s mostly bullshit from a gaming perspective.

Only Incredibly specific workloads can take advantage of higher core counts, and you will know if you fall into that category.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm reaching the end of collecting the parts for my friend's budget build and just got the used B250M MOBO from Ebay... but there's no backplate. Can I... rawdog the cooler or should I buy one

Edit: Crisis averted, the Arctic Freezer 34 actually comes with an LGA 1151-compatible plastic backplate, how lucky

change my name fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 9, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Did you try out Fallout 4 by any chance? That's been the most impressive performance boost going from a 6400 to a 11600K. The average FPS might have been okay before, but it was a much more bumpy 60fps. I don't have benchmarks, but the game now seems to run better at 1440p than it used to at 1080p. The STALKER flashlight mod was always an issue (but worth it, imo), now it's fine or there's enough of a performance buffer for it to not matter as much.

Overall, I've been happy with the performance gains (I was a bit worried I was spending $650 on nothing). I can use settings a tier higher than before, and/or get higher, more stable framerates.

What GPU are you running? I went back in to Fallout 4 to test it out after getting a 1440p monitor and 2070 Super and had to slap a framerate limit in place otherwise the game went hilariously sideways. CPU is a 3600X, and in Fallout 4 I was getting physics-breaking high framerates.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

change my name posted:

I'm reaching the end of collecting the parts for my friend's budget build

What'd you get them?

I don’t know where the more cores = more better thing came from

Next gen anticipation?

Do we know if UE5 will push CPUs more?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What GPU are you running? I went back in to Fallout 4 to test it out after getting a 1440p monitor and 2070 Super and had to slap a framerate limit in place otherwise the game went hilariously sideways. CPU is a 3600X, and in Fallout 4 I was getting physics-breaking high framerates.

A 970. And yeah you need fan patches to fix fps physics bugs

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

What'd you get them?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (Purchased For $27.26)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $75.00)
Memory: G.Skill FORTIS 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory (Purchased For $55.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $167.00)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $54.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $38.00)
Total: $416.26

Everything marked $0 was on-hand already, hence the B250 board since I had the 7400. Not sure why it gives a compatibility warning about the power supply, it fit in the case just fine since Seasonic provides a mounting plate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

change my name posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (Purchased For $27.26)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $75.00)
Memory: G.Skill FORTIS 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory (Purchased For $55.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $167.00)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $54.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $38.00)
Total: $416.26

Everything marked $0 was on-hand already, hence the B250 board since I had the 7400. Not sure why it gives a compatibility warning about the power supply, it fit in the case just fine since Seasonic provides a mounting plate.

That looks like a better version of what I was upgrading from. So acceptable 1080p performance in a lot of titles, and should be great for emulating older systems. Games that pushed the PS2 had serious issues though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

That looks like a better version of what I was upgrading from. So acceptable 1080p performance in a lot of titles, and should be great for emulating older systems. Games that pushed the PS2 had serious issues though.

Her use case is mainly Dragon Age Inquisition and Baldur's Gate 3, two games that, from my testing on a similar Ryzen system I built for a friend, you can push at high on 1080p with like 11% CPU utilization. She's coming from integrated Intel graphics so I think this will last at least 4-5 years assuming the GPU doesn't die.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I couldn't get a smooth 60 with DAI. Not sure how much better a 7400 is than a 6400, but your RAM's a bit faster too. e:It was perfectly playable, though, of course.

With the 11600K, it's no problem, so not GPU bound.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-GX-...ics&sr=1-1&th=1

Good deal. Click the coupon for $60 off. 850w gold seasonic for $89.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Spoke too soon, some of the MOBO pins on the used board are bent, guess I'll be straightening them out tonight and complaining to Ebay if the PC doesn't post

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
take pictures and raise with ebay rather than doing any repair work yourself, imo. test if it works out of the box and then make the decision if it stays or goes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you live near a micro center, then $250 for a 12600k plus $20 off a compatible motherboard is a good deal.
with the mobo this can be up to $70 better than you can find on amazon/new egg btw

(also do the thing where you get the freebie 240 gb ssd if you havent registered a phone number)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Had a very impulsive day yesterday and decided it was time I wanted a desktop again and didn't want to do any work so I picked this up on sale at microcenter for $1300, Decent deal? I don't follow computer pricing anymore.

PowerSpec G509 Gaming PC
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz Processor
NVIDIA RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6;
16GB DDR4-2666 RAM;
500GB SSD

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Looks like a "fair" deal in todays GPU market, as much as I hate to admit it.

The RAM speed is a little slow compared to what's out there now, but honestly I think the importance of RAM speed is kinda overstated these days. It seems to matter most when you're trying to put out a lot of frames, or if you're like me and leaning on integrated graphics.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 9, 2021

Vashro
May 12, 2004

right on, fair is all I was hoping for. I hated coiners already and I'm guessing that's why these are all so expensive so add that to the list

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ram speed legit is not understated with ryzen, actually, it pretty significantly influences CPU performance. you would enjoy a non-trivial bump by increasing to even 3000 MHz and up to 3600 could be justified. still, if you've already bought it it probably won't make a huge difference - good upgrade for like 50-60 bucks tho.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Vashro posted:

right on, fair is all I was hoping for. I hated coiners already and I'm guessing that's why these are all so expensive so add that to the list

It's myriad issues of which crypto mining is actually way down the list this time

Think global chip shortages, massive demand driven by the new generation of tech, working from home, increased budgets for purchases like this because of less travel, covid disrupting the production, international trade and supply routes being way overstretched, scalpers taking advantage of all that to bot buy available stock and further jack up the prices etc

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Ram speed has effect on what, quickness changing between multiple tasks?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's myriad issues of which crypto mining is actually way down the list this time

Think global chip shortages, massive demand driven by the new generation of tech, working from home, increased budgets for purchases like this because of less travel, covid disrupting the production, international trade and supply routes being way overstretched, scalpers taking advantage of all that to bot buy available stock and further jack up the prices etc

Oh so monopolies and supply chains like everything else?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vashro posted:

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Ram speed has effect on what, quickness changing between multiple tasks?

CPU performance generally, the way that ryzen uses the infinity fabric (someone cleverer than me can explain that, i think it relates to boost behaviour) means it gets pegged to ram speed, which can significantly limit the performance. your 5600x will perform fine but will not reach hypothetical peak with that ram and generally due to low cost people reccomend at least 3000Mhz, which means you are "leaving some on the table" as it were.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Looks like a "fair" deal in todays GPU market, as much as I hate to admit it.

The RAM speed is a little slow compared to what's out there now, but honestly I think the importance of RAM speed is kinda overstated these days. It seems to matter most when you're trying to put out a lot of frames, or if you're like me and leaning on integrated graphics.

It’s not negligible because the cost difference is so low.

A $40 16GB kit of 2666 ram will lose around 5%+ performance vs a $60 3600 kit. For $20, that much increase should be a no brainer.

People discount a 5% gain because CPU classes usually have a similar gain between models, but we’re taking about 5% for $200 vs 5% for $20.

Vashro posted:

Had a very impulsive day yesterday and decided it was time I wanted a desktop again and didn't want to do any work so I picked this up on sale at microcenter for $1300, Decent deal? I don't follow computer pricing anymore.

PowerSpec G509 Gaming PC
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz Processor
NVIDIA RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6;
16GB DDR4-2666 RAM;
500GB SSD

https://www.microcenter.com/product/635448/powerspec-g509-gaming-pc

Here is the machine.

It’s honestly not too bad. Asus B550, 650w PSU, SSD is an NVME (my guess is inland, which is generally fine). Images show an EVGA card, but who knows what you got.

Weak points are the slow ram speed, not a great case, weak cooler, and small SSD.

As far as what I’d change, I’d monitor temp for a few days and probably grab a better CPU cooler, and I’d only upgrade the ram to a faster speed if I was upgrading to 32GB ram.

Similar quick build (better case, better ram, maybe better PSU) is $650.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($294.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($38.47 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $623.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-09 09:42 EST-0500

So you essentially paid $650 for a 3060 + assembly. So high compared to release MSRP, but on point with what Zotac direct is selling them for.

https://www.zotacstore.com/us/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3060-amp-white-edition-zt-a30600f-10p

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
If I have a b450 tomahawk max which has only a PCI-E 3.0 slot, would there even be a benefit to me somehow managing to get something like a 3070 which looks like it supports 4.0? How does that work?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

If I have a b450 tomahawk max which has only a PCI-E 3.0 slot, would there even be a benefit to me somehow managing to get something like a 3070 which looks like it supports 4.0? How does that work?

It's fine, GPUs can't even take advantage of those speeds yet. I was using a 3070 on the same board and there's no difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_2kRO-RPg

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

change my name posted:

It's fine, GPUs can't even take advantage of those speeds yet. I was using a 3070 on the same board and there's no difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_2kRO-RPg

Ah, thanks. I thought it was odd considering my motherboard is less than 2 years old. It’s all a moot point anyways, I can’t imagine I’ll manage to get a card at MSRP.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

It’s not negligible because the cost difference is so low.

A $40 16GB kit of 2666 ram will lose around 5%+ performance vs a $60 3600 kit. For $20, that much increase should be a no brainer.

People discount a 5% gain because CPU classes usually have a similar gain between models, but we’re taking about 5% for $200 vs 5% for $20.

Eh, yeah you're right. I guess I was looking at it in terms of the entire build. 2666 MHz RAM isn't a deal breaker, and when DDR4 starts getting dumped on the used market, the upgrade path will be—as you aptly put—a no brainer.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 9, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

Ah, thanks. I thought it was odd considering my motherboard is less than 2 years old. It’s all a moot point anyways, I can’t imagine I’ll manage to get a card at MSRP.

the only exception is the 6600 and i think the 6600XT, a low end card that for what must be cost saving reasons has half the number of pcie connectors than a standard card. it doesn't need them if you're running PCIE gen 4 where even half the bandwidth is plenty for the card, if you're running gen 3 there are non-trivial performance penalties.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Similar quick build (better case, better ram, maybe better PSU) is $650.

I appreciate the effort. I returned that one and am going to order parts online.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Vashro posted:

I appreciate the effort. I returned that one and am going to order parts online.

Uh, good luck with that!

Not supposed to be sarcastic but yeah, you've traded an actual working PC for months of frustration that I hope is worth it for you. That said, you could aim for a 3060ti now that you're building yourself and get better performance for the same price.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah i think that was a little unclear, it's 650 + whatever the GPU winds up costing you, which with the 3060 could easily be 650 or 1300 total. he was saying it was a pretty reasonable purchase.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Oh no what have we done

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got the 3060 installed in my 2600k system last night and it's all working well. Metro Exodus benchmark on Ultra 1080p went from 30avg/17min to 60avg/30min which is pretty cool (and actually not that far off 3060 benchmarks I've seen on way more recent systems!) I can't believe how massive the R9 290 it's replacing was — I had trouble just getting it out of the case.

Is there much reason to move from my SATA boot drive to an NVME something when I upgrade the rest of the system? It already boots up super fast and I don't have any complaints about program load speed. Seems like I might get more benefit by using one as a dedicated cache drive for Resolve and then just stick with my existing SATA for OS and applications?

For the old R9 290, what's a fair price to sell it? It's an 8 gig Sapphire card if that matters (and like a foot long.)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

no it's fine guys I don't need that much graphics power

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the loving GPU market is completely bonkers. worse ever, still. you will struggle to get any GPU and honestly a prebuild was often the cheapest route of entry. it seems like SIs have finally started pricing according to market value or closer and that's less true, now

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vashro posted:

poo poo my bad.

I meant that while you’re paying $650 for a 3060, that’s kind of reasonable in this market.

Getting something lower powered GPU wise won’t be easy either.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

ok so I got this one instead and this time oing to get their store card discount my high rear end didnt do before https://www.microcenter.com/product/637901/asus-rog-strix-ga15-gaming-pc-platinum-collection

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
lol don't buy computer parts high man. Like a moth to a flame, you will float towards the thing with the most blinky lights and glowing RGB doohickeys. The sales associates will have you in the palms of their hands as you stare at the constantly changing unicorn vomit drooling about how good it must taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lol don't buy computer parts high man. Like a moth to a flame, you will float towards the thing with the most blinky lights and glowing RGB doohickeys. The sales associates will have you in the palms of their hands as you stare at the constantly changing unicorn vomit drooling about how good it must taste.

I did this last week and discovered I had accidentally specc'ed out my friend's system twice. Thankfully I canceled the orders for the extra stuff the next day before it shipped