Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Ingredients amounts are a total shitshow, particularly non-metric. Volume measurements for everything! A cup of water! A cup of beans! A cup of rice! A cup of flour! A cup of chopped celery! A cup of carrots! A cup of potatoes!
At least if they used weights for non-fluids it would be ok, but recipe makers hate scales or something I dunno.

For sure. I don't really bake tbh. But I've heard it...from a Teen Titans Go! episode I think. I have a scale at home I use to make things like pizza dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

biosterous posted:

bands named after it that feature emily haines:
metric: 1
imperial: none

clear winner here, pack it up

Help I'm alive

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

soft skeleton: also 1

from now on I am measuring things using the soft skeleton system

ty nesamdoom!

more falafel please

forums poster

there's like 17 different measurements in the broken social scene system but only a couple are permanent, the rest keep shifting around

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

more falafel please posted:

there's like 17 different measurements in the broken social scene system but only a couple are permanent, the rest keep shifting around

but one of the former members can be used to count, see: 1, 2, 3, 4

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

Shellac has a new number order.

Escape From Noise

Punk is a base 4 system.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

biosterous posted:

:hai:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Jaguars!

If you're still in a place of imperiousness of measurements, it's because you have the luxury of being last. Metric eliminated hundreds of competing versions of imperial measurements. Buying in country bushels and selling at near market bushel prices. Feet that were redefined non interchangably every hundred years or so. Bent yard standards! The real reasons for the metric system have nothing to do with intuition and everything to do with eliminating corruption and miscommunication just when the word was really starting to interconnect. These days when you use traditional measures don't have to worry about that sort of thing. At least, not very much.

Escape From Noise

I will never get over how dumb barrels are because they vary in volume by product, and not even by similar product. 1 beer bbl=31 gallons, 1 bourbon bbl=53 gallons, and 1 wine bbl=59 gallons.

Escape From Noise

My point is...WHY DO AMERICAN BREWERS STILL MEASURE VOLUME IN BBLS???

Escape From Noise

Haha, yes, I would like to measure all liquid used in the process of brewing, fermenting, and kegging of beer in 31 gallon increments. No. Not 30. No nice round numbers for me. Why yes, a half barrel keg is 15.5 gallons and a sixth barrel is 5.1666666667 gallons. I fail to see the issue here.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
0 = too cold, 100 = too hot. 69 = nice and 420 = baked. who cares about decimals or whatever

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChubbyChecker

pnac attack posted:

0 = too cold, 100 = too hot. 69 = nice and 420 = baked. who cares about decimals or whatever

Escape From Noise

Ain't nothin' like takin' yer pants off after a full day a' work, I tell ya hwut

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

Ain't nothin' like takin' yer pants off after a full day a' work, I tell ya hwut

Socks for me.

fps_nug

horsing around no longer

pnac attack posted:

I like Fahrenheit now

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Good morning all. It is currently not raining here in Wales; this is a sufficiently rare event to merit comment. It is however 0c which I just added so as to be contributing to the metric vs imperial debate. Also Imperial wins because of Pints. Who wants to go to a pub and order 0.57 of a liter? Not me. Pints all the way.

fps_nug

horsing around no longer

Andoman posted:

Good morning all. It is currently not raining here in Wales; this is a sufficiently rare event to merit comment. It is however 0c which I just added so as to be contributing to the metric vs imperial debate. Also Imperial wins because of Pints. Who wants to go to a pub and order 0.57 of a liter? Not me. Pints all the way.

I like a pint and I hate that is was -24 degrees yesterday. what is that in c?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

pnac attack posted:

gently caress yeah

Stoner Sloth

pnac attack posted:

a fine point but in metric 0 = too cold, 100 = too hot, 420 = blazed and 69? 69 is a :nice: temperature for things that you're gonna eat (its just above the safe internal temperature that most foods need to be cooked to)

Andoman posted:

a fair point but do you go in and order a fluid ounce of whiskey or do you just order a shot? similarly you can just grab a beer without specifying unit measurements since they're locally standardized - also a fluid ounce is just below a standard drink so you'd be getting ripped off

however where it's a problem with imperial is that it's still used in many places here for beer and it's led to different measurements being in place for each state - since a british imperial pint is different by about 20 percent from an american imperial pint - which is dumb as heck quite apart from the barrel problem EFN mentioned

that's without getting into dry pints, canadian pinte de biere, royal pints, indian pints or any of the others - this means that your "pint" of beer could be anywhere between 250 ml for a flemish pintje up to 1696 ml for a scottish pint which is uh quite a different amount of beer

Escape From Noise

I think no matter what size you make a standard glass of beer, most English speakers are just going to call it a pint, whether it's measured in ml or oz.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I got it real bad folks
I dunno what it is but I got it and it's real bad

Andoman

Stoner Sloth posted:

a fine point but in metric 0 = too cold, 100 = too hot, 420 = blazed and 69? 69 is a :nice: temperature for things that you're gonna eat (its just above the safe internal temperature that most foods need to be cooked to)

a fair point but do you go in and order a fluid ounce of whiskey or do you just order a shot? similarly you can just grab a beer without specifying unit measurements since they're locally standardized - also a fluid ounce is just below a standard drink so you'd be getting ripped off

however where it's a problem with imperial is that it's still used in many places here for beer and it's led to different measurements being in place for each state - since a british imperial pint is different by about 20 percent from an american imperial pint - which is dumb as heck quite apart from the barrel problem EFN mentioned

that's without getting into dry pints, canadian pinte de biere, royal pints, indian pints or any of the others - this means that your "pint" of beer could be anywhere between 250 ml for a flemish pintje up to 1696 ml for a scottish pint which is uh quite a different amount of beer

I did not know this, to me a pint is a pint but clearly I was mistaken. I am not down with a 20% difference (unless of course it is in my favour!). I will also nail my colours to the mast and say that a proper pint glass should contain cider and not beer.

Andoman

Cardi BYOB posted:

I got it real bad folks

That doesn't sound good. Hope you are okay

nesamdoom
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I guess, but I don't really use quarts. I guess I'd say a liter or half a liter? Or glasses? I don't know. I still don't get the better for understanding outside temperature thing at all. This morning I woke up and looked at the forecast. It said 10℃, so I put on my lighter jacket over my hoodie and made sure I had my gloves and it worked real well for me?:shrug:

I think it's just what you're surrounded by. Now that I'm surrounded by metric, I just use that.

An ounce or pure alcohol is considered a drink. so like a shot of turkey is half a drink. a pint of whiskey is 16 drinks. it's alcohol math. I used both when I sold weed and now the poo poo is so expensive people are going by grams when I just would sell eighths by roughly 4 grams kuz it split that way and as long as the poo poo was 4 or more I knew I wasn't shorting ppl on their 25 bucks. I get the point of using litres tho, it's just annoying that everything else is in oz and I don't wanna remember poo poo or do the math. If it's not intrusive, how are you now surrounded by metric?

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Escape From Noise

nesamdoom posted:

An ounce or pure alcohol is considered a drink. so like a shot of turkey is half a drink. a pint of whiskey is 16 drinks. it's alcohol math. I used both when I sold weed and now the poo poo is so expensive people are going by grams when I just would sell eighths by roughly 4 grams kuz it split that way and as long as the poo poo was 4 or more I knew I wasn't shorting ppl on their 25 bucks. I get the point of using litres tho, it's just annoying that everything else is in oz and I don't wanna remember poo poo or do the math. If it's not intrusive, how are you now surrounded by metric?

Oh, it's not. I moved to Japan. Coming from beer I'll order a small, medium, or large some places. Some places give out drinks in pints or half pints. If you ask for a nama-chu here at a regular restaurant you'll get a mug that's 350-500ml. I guess that's a bit of a gap, but TBF it's not like a pint is going to be the same from bar to bar in the US either.

Robot Made of Meat

pnac attack posted:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Andoman posted:

That doesn't sound good. Hope you are okay

I'm very okay. This is good.

Escape From Noise

Cardi BYOB posted:

I'm very okay. This is good.

It's good 2 b good.

biosterous

Manifisto posted:

soft skeleton: also 1

from now on I am measuring things using the soft skeleton system

:hmmyes:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nesamdoom
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Oh, it's not. I moved to Japan. Coming from beer I'll order a small, medium, or large some places. Some places give out drinks in pints or half pints. If you ask for a nama-chu here at a regular restaurant you'll get a mug that's 350-500ml. I guess that's a bit of a gap, but TBF it's not like a pint is going to be the same from bar to bar in the US either.

Yea, I'm pretty pissy about pints in the US. It's not like its hard to get a loving pint glass and fill that poo poo from the tap but so many places give out like a 12 oz glass. I love a good mexican place that when I order a large beer it's a loving half pitcher sized stein and it's enough to drink with the meal. generally i'll have a pint waiting for food then one with and another at the end of the food and while everyone else finishes or I have to eat whats left from the kids and wife(she gets this thing one place that she likes but it's 2.5x what she will eat so i get to really gently caress myself up eating what they all leave on plates). but yea, 350-500 is a gap but i agree on the getting hosed around on a pint in the us. japan has to be cool to like grab a drink and stand on the sidewalk to knock it down as opposed to like here and ppl look at ya lovely if ya smash a beer and burrito outside the store and then bin that poo poo and walk away.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Gramps

alnilam posted:

Honestly metric stuff is plenty arbitrary too but at least its relationships tend to go in 1s and 10s

I like metric cause it all can be related to water so weight and volume and distance are all related to a tangible thing.

Gramps

Cardi BYOB posted:

I got it real bad folks

wait are you hot for teacher?

cruft

I dreamed I visited EFN! He picked me up from work in some sort of bus, bed, and breakfast that could climb walls, and the driver and his assistant made me coffee. But then I realized it was 8pm and coffee was a bad idea. Then we rented a hotel room so we could make noodles.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Let me introduce you to the joy of Feliz Navidad...

Not anything wrong with the song, it is just overplayed as hell here in Texas.

cruft

Cardi BYOB posted:

I got it real bad folks

That ain't good.

Stoner Sloth

Andoman posted:

I did not know this, to me a pint is a pint but clearly I was mistaken. I am not down with a 20% difference (unless of course it is in my favour!). I will also nail my colours to the mast and say that a proper pint glass should contain cider and not beer.

friend i very much agree with you on this! i am not much of a beer drinker but a good cider owns!!

Escape From Noise

nesamdoom posted:

Yea, I'm pretty pissy about pints in the US. It's not like its hard to get a loving pint glass and fill that poo poo from the tap but so many places give out like a 12 oz glass. I love a good mexican place that when I order a large beer it's a loving half pitcher sized stein and it's enough to drink with the meal. generally i'll have a pint waiting for food then one with and another at the end of the food and while everyone else finishes or I have to eat whats left from the kids and wife(she gets this thing one place that she likes but it's 2.5x what she will eat so i get to really gently caress myself up eating what they all leave on plates). but yea, 350-500 is a gap but i agree on the getting hosed around on a pint in the us. japan has to be cool to like grab a drink and stand on the sidewalk to knock it down as opposed to like here and ppl look at ya lovely if ya smash a beer and burrito outside the store and then bin that poo poo and walk away.

I just think it's one of those things. I get getting like a pint if it's set, but it usually isn't outside of I guess England, but that has to do with beer culture there. On the flip side Germany is metric and glass size seemed pretty stamdartized region by region, which has to do with different beer cultures depending on where you are, so Bavaria is like big steins for most beers except maybe Hefeweissen which comes in a standardized glass I think, Köln does kölsch in small glasses as does dusseldorf with their altbier, so even there there's fluctuation, but it's regional. I think that stuff has so much to do with culture surrounding alcohol and what is considered important for a standard. Here, generally, the size of glass depends on the glassware provided by the brewery, but is possibly up to the establishment. But I feel like the size of a sake server is slightly more standardized. I dunno.

Yeah. It's nice to grab a can of beer or whatever and just drink it wherever. Eating while walking is considered rude here, or at least that's what I've heard, but plenty of people here do it too, them again Osaka has a reputation, so IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Zil posted:

Let me introduce you to the joy of Feliz Navidad...

Not anything wrong with the song, it is just overplayed as hell here in Texas.

I disagree. There is something wrong with it. I grew up in New Mexico so...