Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mu Zeta posted:

I have zero bonds. I also don't rebalance ever and only buy more. I plan to start adding bonds when I'm 50.

The case for phasing one's emergency fund into I bonds is too compelling for me to skip, especially as significant increases to US inflation are taking place with more looming on the horizon. It's also locked away insurance for my dumbass decisions.

On the topic of rebalancing, I recently read this from a 2007 Q&A on Jack Bogle's blog:

Jack Bogle posted:

Fact: a 48%S&P 500, 16% small cap, 16% international, and 20% bond index, over the past 20 years, earned a 9.49% annual return without rebalancing and a 9.71% return if rebalanced annually. That’s worth describing as “noise,” and suggests that formulaic rebalancing with precision is not necessary.

We also did an earlier study of all 25-year periods beginning in 1826 (!), using a 50/50 US stock/bond portfolio, and found that annual rebalancing won in 52% of the 179 periods. Also, it seems to me, noise. Interestingly, failing to rebalance never cost more than about 50 basis points, but when that failure added return, the gains were often in the 200-300 basis point range; i.e., doing nothing has lost small but it has won big.

My personal conclusion. Rebalancing is a personal choice, not a choice that statistics can validate. There’s certainly nothing the matter with doing it (although I don’t do it myself), but also no reason to slavishly worry about small changes in the equity ratio. Maybe, for example, if your 50% equity position grew to, say, 55% or 60%.

In candor, I should add that I see no circumstance under which rebalancing through an adviser charging 1% could possibly add value.

Use your own judgment, but perhaps these comments will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pretty short horizon though

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

skipdogg posted:

My company is enabling a self directed brokerage option in our Fidelity 401K's next year. I definitely understand people wanting the choice to choose their own investments, but I think it's a terrible idea. I can't wait for stories about people blowing up 20 to 30 years of savings in the market because they think they're smarter than everyone else and can beat the market.

It can vary based on rules set by the employer. I have access to BrokerageLink and for whatever reason my employer doesn't allow me to buy ETFs or stocks. I can only buy mutual funds, but it does open it up beyond what the 401k offers. I really only use it to get Fidelity Zero mutual funds and a low cost Fidelity Small Cap Value fund. But I guess you could just buy some really terrible funds if you wanted.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My new job has a stock plan in which I can purchase up to a certain % of salary in stock and which they will match up to 3.9% on the first 6%. There’s no discount, but this is a no brainer, right?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Is there a lookback or are you buying at today's market price with up to a (3.9% * 6%) match in shares? Are you required to hold it for any period of time?

If not, you get (.039 * .06 * salary) in free money I think. If you make $100k that is the large sum of $234.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm reading it as if he puts in 6% towards the stock plan, the company will kick in 3.9% for a total of 9.9% of salary in stock. I don't know if I'd deal with the hassle or not. I guess it's a free 3 grand a year in your pocket at 100K a year salary

I've never understood these ESPP plans. A former company just stopped offering it because no one ever held their shares, and it was just another way for highly compensated employees that could afford it to make a little more money from the company. We had a decent one too. 15% discount on the lower price of the start or end of the period. Max of 25K though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The language around percent matching of percents is frustrating. 401k accounts, I'm looking at you :argh:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Happiness Commando posted:

The language around percent matching of percents is frustrating. 401k accounts, I'm looking at you :argh:

A former employer had a match of "100% of the first 3% and 50% of the next 3%" (if you kicked in 6%, they'd kick in 4.5%). Very frustrating indeed.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Been putting off rolling over my 401ks from previous jobs (two, at voya and empower) until i was sure i'd be at my current position for a long time and i think i'm finally ready to start the process (on fidelity now). any tips on the process? i figure it shouldn't be too bad since they're all fairly major companies and they should have the process hammered out but i've still got anxiety about it lmao. don't want a 30k penalty or some poo poo to pop up on my taxes

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Spokes posted:

Been putting off rolling over my 401ks from previous jobs (two, at voya and empower) until i was sure i'd be at my current position for a long time and i think i'm finally ready to start the process (on fidelity now). any tips on the process? i figure it shouldn't be too bad since they're all fairly major companies and they should have the process hammered out but i've still got anxiety about it lmao. don't want a 30k penalty or some poo poo to pop up on my taxes

Fidelity's website walks you through the process. I had zero issues when I did my rollover back in Feb. I went from Vanguard to Fidelity, so Vanguard had to mail a check which was a little nerve wracking, but Fidelity lets you mobile deposit it so I was only out of the market like 14 days or so.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I'm reading it as if he puts in 6% towards the stock plan, the company will kick in 3.9% for a total of 9.9% of salary in stock. I don't know if I'd deal with the hassle or not. I guess it's a free 3 grand a year in your pocket at 100K a year salary

I've never understood these ESPP plans. A former company just stopped offering it because no one ever held their shares, and it was just another way for highly compensated employees that could afford it to make a little more money from the company. We had a decent one too. 15% discount on the lower price of the start or end of the period. Max of 25K though.

This is how I read it too. It’d be a little over $5k free (plus my 6% contribution) and the stock is considered a dividend aristocrat, so even though it may ebb and flow, it has a good >3% annual dividend return. I would assume I’d sell it as soon as I could though, so dividends may not matter. I didn’t see anything about a look back period which I had at a previous employer, nor did I see anything about a lockout period.

I’ll have to look more into it!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

My new job has a stock plan in which I can purchase up to a certain % of salary in stock and which they will match up to 3.9% on the first 6%. There’s no discount, but this is a no brainer, right?

It is usually a no-brainer. The amount of the match (plus anything else from any kind of lookback period) is free money. You will be betting that the stock price won't tank by more than that amount between the time the purchase is made and the time you can sell it (which should be ASAP).

Tricky part is how the free money gets reported on your taxes, it may show up both on your W-2 and on the 1099-B from whoever handles the stock purchase. If that is the case then you need to adjust it in your tax paperwork so it doesn't get double-counted.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Cacafuego posted:

and the stock is considered a dividend aristocrat, so even though it may ebb and flow, it has a good >3% annual dividend return.

These things don't mean anything. I see you mentioned selling immediately, which is good, but don't get the impression that "astrologers call company X an (any name)" should have any bearing on your strategy.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

These things don't mean anything. I see you mentioned selling immediately, which is good, but don't get the impression that "astrologers call company X an (any name)" should have any bearing on your strategy.

Fair, but it allows me to (attempt to) assess the potential risk of having the stock drop over that period of time. Because if I can’t sell them back immediately and have to hold for a length of time, at least there’s a >3% dividend that has a 25+ year history of 1) being paid and 2) increasing. Looking back, it’s on an increasing trend since 2009.

Basically, I would like to get >$5k in free stock (in addition to my contribution) per year that I can sell as soon as I get the match. If I can look back >10 years and see an increasing trend and a >25 year history of paying an increasing dividend, it makes me feel safer about holding it through whatever lockout period I have to, if there is one.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cacafuego posted:

Looking back, it’s on an increasing trend since 2009.

You don't say....

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know anything about it really but "dividend aristocrat" may be the most dire and cringeworthy financial term I've ever heard

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know anything about it really but "dividend aristocrat" may be the most dire and cringeworthy financial term I've ever heard

it's an old term and very commonly used. prior to a 1982 SEC rule change ( https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule10b18.asp ), buybacks were rather uncommon. thus, companies largely returned profits to shareholders via dividends. it's why you see old school investing books discuss dividends so heavily.

a strong, stable company that was a good investment often paid, and even increased, its dividend annually for decades without missing a beat.

eventually people formalized this as an investment style, running funds or publishing indexes based on dividend "aristocrats" or "kings". here is a current-day example:
S&P 500 DIVIDEND ARISTOCRATS ETF
https://www.proshares.com/funds/nobl.html

as a strategy, dividend aristocrat investing has dwindled in popularity as more and more companies do buybacks instead of dividends because of the advantages that offers to extremely wealthy, very large shareholders. but some retired people still adopt something like this to generate regular income.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hello fellow BFC goons, I'm looking for some input on utilizing a backdoor Roth IRA conversion.

I have a couple old IRA accounts on Vanguard, one pre-tax traditional and one Roth, both with about $10k in them. I also have a Current Company 401(k) with Schwab and an Old Company 401(k) with Fidelity (yes, it is annoying to have accounts across so many providers, but whatever).

I understand that in order to do the backdoor roth conversion without paying taxes I need to have my traditional IRA accounts completely empty of pre-tax dollars as of year-end. The problem is that my current 401(k) plan does not permit rollovers from IRA accounts and my old 401(k) plan certainly doesn't permit rollovers into the account since I am no longer with Old Company. I also don't want to pay the pro-rata taxes on a backdoor Roth conversion since I have a substantial sum in the trad account already and I would strongly prefer not to pay taxes on the full amount.

Am I stuck? I contributed to the stupid trad IRA just once ~5 years ago and now it's apparently a huge blocker for my backdoor Roth options.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Sounds like you might be boned. But taxable brokerage accounts aren't that bad, especially when you have income high enough to force the backdoor option.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vox Nihili posted:

Hello fellow BFC goons, I'm looking for some input on utilizing a backdoor Roth IRA conversion.

I have a couple old IRA accounts on Vanguard, one pre-tax traditional and one Roth, both with about $10k in them. I also have a Current Company 401(k) with Schwab and an Old Company 401(k) with Fidelity (yes, it is annoying to have accounts across so many providers, but whatever).

I understand that in order to do the backdoor roth conversion without paying taxes I need to have my traditional IRA accounts completely empty of pre-tax dollars as of year-end. The problem is that my current 401(k) plan does not permit rollovers from IRA accounts and my old 401(k) plan certainly doesn't permit rollovers into the account since I am no longer with Old Company. I also don't want to pay the pro-rata taxes on a backdoor Roth conversion since I have a substantial sum in the trad account already and I would strongly prefer not to pay taxes on the full amount.

Am I stuck? I contributed to the stupid trad IRA just once ~5 years ago and now it's apparently a huge blocker for my backdoor Roth options.

you could just pay the ~$2500 in taxes. you are going to pay it eventually. Might not be an option in 2022 with the BBBB.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You've got $10k in a trad ira and enough income to need to backdoor. Just convert it now and pay the tax. With upcoming tax law changes, this may be your last chance to get funds in the Roth at all.

E:f,b

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does the BBBB stuff affect long term capital gains? I've got $210k in unrealized gains and I really do want to liquidate those positions. I was going to split it into thirds for this December, then January, and then January 2023, but if the Libs are about to blow it all up...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The proposed increase in the long term capital gains to 25% is currently out. It was also planned to be retroactive back to September 2021.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

smackfu posted:

The proposed increase in the long term capital gains to 25% is currently out. It was also planned to be retroactive back to September 2021.

Christ! Out as in "scrapped", right? Not out as in "now in effect"? My combined state and federal gains tax would be about 40%!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Christ! Out as in "scrapped", right? Not out as in "now in effect"? My combined state and federal gains tax would be about 40%!
If it's the latter (or instead soon to be in effect), I'm suddenly happier about having squirreled away as much as I possibly could into Roth up to this point, despite that being arguably sub-optimal for me based on current rates.

As you've indicated, 25% on top of state taxes basically starts to look like earned income tax rates in most of the U.S.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just don't sell until you fall out of that tax bracket. You're welcome in advance.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Pretty sure it’s “out” as in “scrapped”, especially because congress hasn’t actually passed anything.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Just don't sell until you fall out of that tax bracket. You're welcome in advance.
Yep.

Currently structuring my retirement plan around minimizing taxes owed in this and other ways. Good times.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

But now I live in fear of retroactive tax rates!

Also these are inherited shares of single company stocks like Procter & Gamble and JnJ and IBM that I don't want to hold on to

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But now I live in fear of retroactive tax rates!

Also these are inherited shares of single company stocks like Procter & Gamble and JnJ and IBM that I don't want to hold on to
If you inherited them not long ago, there shouldn't be a lot gains to worry about. Might consider offloading them soon in that case, and then putting the proceeds into index funds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ersatz posted:

If you inherited them not long ago, there shouldn't be a lot gains to worry about. Might consider offloading them soon in that case, and then putting the proceeds into index funds.

I inherited them in 1991 but the estate they are from was pilfered and they only recently found their way to me. The account is about 80% unrealized gains

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I inherited them in 1991 but the estate they are from was pilfered and they only recently found their way to me. The account is about 80% unrealized gains

good problem to have, i guess?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

good problem to have, i guess?

For sure :-) I did no labor to receive this money, but I do feel a strong ethical obligation to minimize how much money I give to the united states governments

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Give it all away to charity and take the tax write off. Everybody wins.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ersatz posted:

FAANG, Microsoft, and Tesla support this strategy.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Which brokers support MFA/2FA using an app (not SMS)?

I use Fidelity and Vanguard and but neither seem to support app code generation which is more secure IMO than SMS, email or phone call.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

dexter6 posted:

I use Fidelity and Vanguard and but neither seem to support app code generation which is more secure IMO than SMS, email or phone call.

If your email account is protected by a 2FA you like, I'd consider that just as safe as a direct 2FA token.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

Fidelity can do Symantec VIP. It does seem that these guys don't take account security as seriously as they could.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
I made the maximum Roth IRA contribution for 2021 in January and didn't think much about it, but just realized that I might be in the reduced contribution range this year due to unexpectedly getting a new better-paid job in September and cashing out a lot of unused vacation/sick leave time from my last job. What's the best way to proceed? Wait until I get my W-2s to determine my MAGI? How hard is it to reverse that contribution at this point? My Roth IRA is with Vanguard, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Reach out to Vanguard, they're fairly accustomed to dealing with this kinda thing.

For others, it's a good cautionary tale - if you ever think you're gonna be close to the limit or have a chance of getting to it, you should split up your contributions or delay til you get your final MAGI. time in market is good, but not creating a whole pain in the rear end for you is even better than marginal time in market.