Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

MokBa posted:

That image of the dick pic was the very first nudity ever on this show right? One thing I love about Succession is it does not do the usual prestige HBO thing of "blood and tits because we can". Pretty funny to save it all for an image of half a boner on a phone.

We almost saw Kendall's crotch in that scene where he poops the bed, plus some side-booty. I think that's it, though....there's definitely been no straight-up nudity in any of the sex scenes.

Bringing up Walton Goggins again, Righteous Gemstones has plenty of nudity but it's 100% male nudity, which my partner and I thought was a hilarious change from a lot of HBO shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MokBa posted:

That image of the dick pic was the very first nudity ever on this show right? One thing I love about Succession is it does not do the usual prestige HBO thing of "blood and tits because we can". Pretty funny to save it all for an image of half a boner on a phone.

Might be the first nudity, but the second episode holds on a shot of Roman jacking off on his corporate office window pretty explicitly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
You don't see his dick though :/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Aw man, I wait a few days to watch and miss out on Kendall's Dead dipshittery! :mad:

Maybe it's because I read that profile of Jeremy Strong today (yikes) but I enjoy the idea (I forgot to quote it so I dunno who to credit, sorry) of Strong playing Kendall playing the drowned waiter and them thinking that's anything but hilarious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

I heard Tom Hardy ate a brain a day to prepare for Venom
I was an extra in Venom 1, the dining scene he has with Michelle Williams early on. After every take he was vaping up a storm in this steak house. It was really strange.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I don't buy the idea Kendall is just trying to see what the waiter felt. He was in the car, we saw him panicked, scrambling to escape. He already knows what it would have been like

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's such a good knife twist because Kendall did try to save him, but even failed to do that. More failure on top of failure.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Josh Lyman posted:

I was an extra in Venom 1, the dining scene he has with Michelle Williams early on. After every take he was vaping up a storm in this steak house. It was really strange.

Sounds pretty loving cool, better than whatever insane behavior actors like Jared Leto consider “method”

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

dude loves his drugs. He is on copious amounts of steroids, too.

He accidentally broke his own jaw wrestling with Shia Labeouf and told Labeouf to spread the rumor that Shia did it to him.

cheese eats mouse posted:

It's such a good knife twist because Kendall did try to save him, but even failed to do that. More failure on top of failure.

Kendall feeling guilty because it's both entirely his fault and partially his fault is interesting complexity. If he hadn't convinced the kid to help him go score coke then it never would have happened. If he had just taken the ketamine he would have had a great time and everything would have been fine.

He was driving on cocaine and some alcohol, probably speeding, but he wasn't the one who jerked the wheel and he did try to rescue the kid, which is not an easy thing to do. Many people would have panicked and swam immediately for shore before realizing "oh poo poo there was another person and they're not here."

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

sticklefifer posted:

I love that Kendall drank a 40 of OE for his 40th.

Little things the writers / directors think up, like that or the rigging comment, maybe will only be noticed and appreciated by a minority of the people watching, it's a real treat. Good show.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1469214285083590659

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/dec/10/madness-in-their-method-have-we-fallen-out-of-love-with-actorly-excess?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I didn't read the article but I saw the bit in the interview about Strong's co-stars "rolling their eyes and shrugging" at his methodology and if you think about what things actors were "rolling their eyes and shrugging" about like... 8 or more years ago in regards to their co-stars and executives... yeah, doing it over Strong just being self-serious is perfectly fine by me.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The article basically says that “well, method acting worked for Strong so idk why everyone is making a big deal about it”, which I think misses the point that nobody minds the method itself so much as the fact that the actors become insufferable to work with when they do it.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The article basically says that “well, method acting worked for Strong so idk why everyone is making a big deal about it”, which I think misses the point that nobody minds the method itself so much as the fact that the actors become insufferable to work with when they do it.

clearly worth it to me, since kendall is a stand out in this show
he should keep doing it and the other actors should toughen up

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is a standout in this show, it's amazing.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fucker posted:

clearly worth it to me, since kendall is a stand out in this show
he should keep doing it and the other actors should toughen up

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm not normally into blondes (I am one), but Willa is so goddamn pretty. :allears: I'd kill for that hair thickness/length.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

that robert pattison quote comes to mind

quote:

“I always say about people doing Method acting, you only ever see people doing Method when they’re playing an a**hole. You never see someone just being lovely to everyone going, ‘I’m really deep in character.’ … Between action and cut, that’s the thing. That’s the safe place. I need to know that there’s a cut coming, and then I feel safe. That’s when you go crazy.”

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A bud pointed out that Greg is actually the cause of most of Tom's current problems. On rewatch, this kind of holds up. Greg is way more shifty early on than I'd caught on first viewing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The World Inferno posted:

A bud pointed out that Greg is actually the cause of most of Tom's current problems. On rewatch, this kind of holds up. Greg is way more shifty early on than I'd caught on first viewing.

I kinda get where you're going with this, but how is Greg the cause of Shiv.....being Shiv?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

Tom probably shouldn’t have decided to make him his whipping boy within minutes of meeting him

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Read After Burning posted:

I kinda get where you're going with this, but how is Greg the cause of Shiv.....being Shiv?

In the first episodes, he lies to Tom about telling Gerri about him coming clean about the cruise line stuff, which leads him to assume it was Shiv, exacerbating his trust issues with her. Also saving some of the cruise documents.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

the big reveal next episode will be that greg is shiv's biological father

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Ouch, the 'defended by a terf'-kiss of death

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

finding out next week’s the finale has me reassessing the last few episodes, which i enjouyed, but now it feels like there’s a chance we’re going loving nowhere

ya man. this ep was clearly the climax, and it was a climax where nothing happened and everything stayed exactly the loving same.

the show has ended up being mistitled. it's not about a succession crisis at all, it's just the shitstains at the top of the global class structure being shitstains. I don't even really like or trust the enjoyment this kind of voyeuristic resentful rubbernecking generates anymore.

wealth turns people into monsters. no poo poo. jerking off to the horrific spectacle of it all just gives people like this the attention they think they deserve. and you what?

Nobody on this show is worth paying any attention to.

at. loving. all.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

It's not real man

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can’t believe I mad it this far without realizing that the show isn’t a documentary.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

what, they just like, make all this poo poo up?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They can just do that? Make TV about fictional things? :psyduck:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should have to put a disclaimer on it or something.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you're telling me these people spend years just imagining what some rich family would do? okay buddy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kieran Culkin really do be like that tho

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
A story where the main characters endlessly argue about something that never happens? What will they come up with next.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

epic cspam climate change thread guy howling in rage that every episode doesn't end with the entire cast being executed irl

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Succession S3: Waiting for GoJo

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Farm Frenzy posted:

It's not real man

withak posted:

Can’t believe I mad it this far without realizing that the show isn’t a documentary.

eke out posted:

what, they just like, make all this poo poo up?

Collapsing Farts posted:

They can just do that? Make TV about fictional things? :psyduck:

wow, it's a bunch of illiterate zombies. it's a miracle you guys managed to find the post button, or maybe it's just bots? i should have realized i was posting in tviv i guess.

here, let me try to educate you drooling fuckshits.

culture is produced by people whose themselves produced by a culture. the people who produce tv can only use the resources at hand to make their shows. the resources at hand are always around going to be cultural constructs which are also produced by the society that produced the people , so, wait for it:

all art is has a concrete relation to the society that produced it.

this relation can be excavated and productively examined by something that clearly none of you know how to do yet: thinking about the media you consume.

i know i know. why would anybody want to think about television? we watch television as a way to drool into the void without the social stigma of a heroin addiction! tv is for not-thinking! tv fun. fun. happy! fun!

cuz if you drones thought about poo poo for two seconds, you'd realize that narratives are all 'real', shows are 'real', fiction is 'real', and art is 'real'. the question isn't about the ontological status of fiction - if it wasn't 'real' then what the gently caress are you watching and how the gently caress are you watching it? the question is - how is concretely existing fiction related to empirical reality?

howmi doin so far? learned something yet? probably not, because to actually learn anything you'd have to leave the structural position of the pristine disembodied observer that your television spectating practice generates, and actually get your loving neurons dirty.

when you sit down to watch a television show, you are really doing something real! you are participating in a really existing social practice with others. the content you consume has a really existing relation to the really existing society that you're a part of. this society is a highly striated class society, and you're not at the top.

a show like succession is ideological programming. it's telling you this - sure, the people who own your life and are destroying the biosphere are irredeemably dysfunctional scumbags, but you, the objective neutral observer, are better than they are! what succession does is invite you to gawp and point and stare at the spectacle of our broken society from a position that's 'outside' of it, so you can pretend that you're somehow not a part of the charade.

except, there is no outside, and shows like succession are why you stupid fucks are gonna go right back to work on monday morning at the mass extinction event factory, smugly savoring the afterglow of 'at least I'm a better person than those rich pricks'.

but you're not. the actual rich pricks this show is based have way, way too many fun toys to spend their time watching garbage television entertainment for worker drones. they're not better people than you, but they are smarter than you, if only because they know that all the media you consume becomes a part of you, and hatewatching lovely people doing lovely things is something that only lovely people do.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
O_o

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
my favorite kind of something awful post: the villain monologue. u can almost hear the creepy violin strings building up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i may not have read the entire post but i do agree with 100% of everything that it said