Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I wasn't sure MacArthur was even around as late as Kennedy (checking Google, he died in 1964), but MacArthur was noisiest in WW2 and the beginning of Korea, so Gandhi was my educated guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She’s such a terrible host. God drat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't really have that much against her, but Mayim feels like she's being pushed on us in a similar way to Richards. The main difference is that I don't think Mayim is pulling strings behind the scenes to propel herself to the top job; it just seems like executives are set on giving the hosting position to her.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I wasn't sure MacArthur was even around as late as Kennedy (checking Google, he died in 1964), but MacArthur was noisiest in WW2 and the beginning of Korea, so Gandhi was my educated guess.

Am I mis-remembering that "anachronistic" was the specific word used to describe the death, within MacArthur's quote? Maybe that word has a broader definition than I'm aware of, but a pacifist's death by violence is not really anachronistic (old-fashioned, out of place by virtue of being "of or related to" an earlier era). It is, perhaps, ironic, or maybe just especially tragic?

I guess maybe it's "anachronistic" in the sense that World War 2 had ended somewhat recently? But nobody thought violence, as a concept, or even more specifically political violence, was "over and of the past," right?

So maybe that word's kind of a red herring. Okay. But then a quote from an American general is also kind of vaguely misleading. What train of thought were they going for, here?

probably overthinkin my nightly jep here, but that final felt REAL strange to me

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 9, 2021

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

A Tasteful Nude posted:

"anachronistic"

I felt that way, too. MacArthur didn't use the word correctly, but that is in his quote.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

She’s such a terrible host. God drat.

It’s so much more obvious when Ken is around, too. Dude has virtually no TV experience outside of J! and yet right off the bat is so much better at it than her. And this is without getting into her abhorrent personal views that should keep her from being host, too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Sean posted:

I felt that way, too. MacArthur didn't use the word correctly, but that is in his quote.

Yeah he definitely meant to say "ironic," but even then the clue is real shaky because MacArthur is the only proper noun in the entire clue and he's pretty much irrelevant to it. Definitely needed a rewrite, I think

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't really have that much against her, but Mayim feels like she's being pushed on us in a similar way to Richards. The main difference is that I don't think Mayim is pulling strings behind the scenes to propel herself to the top job; it just seems like executives are set on giving the hosting position to her.

100% -- they're giving the game away by introducing her as "the host of Jeopardy!" while Ken just gets "Hosting Jeopardy." It's such bullshit, any rear end in a top hat with eyes and ears can tell he's ridiculously better at it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I got Gandhi. I did not get any clues in the first act because the network decided to preempt the show to show us Air Force One taxiing at the local airport for ten minutes, thanks.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

ninjahedgehog posted:

100% -- they're giving the game away by introducing her as "the host of Jeopardy!" while Ken just gets "Hosting Jeopardy." It's such bullshit, any rear end in a top hat with eyes and ears can tell he's ridiculously better at it

Hopefully it's just some sort of contract or union thing.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Remember that Call Me Kat premieres Sunday, January 9th at 8 PM on Fox. Set your DVR if you have to but live viewership is even better. We gotta make sure Fox keeps it on the air.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Outside of the host, the tournament has been a little bit of a bore. These are certainly not power players. Very weak bets and safe plays from people who really need to fight for those wildcard slots.

I wonder how they get the players. Do they just pull professors from their usual recruiting pool? Which means they're bringing on a bunch of people that wouldn't otherwise make it onto the show? Or do they straight up recruit to fill it up?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mearn posted:

Remember that Call Me Kat premieres Sunday, January 9th at 8 PM on Fox. Set your DVR if you have to but live viewership is even better. We gotta make sure Fox keeps it on the air.

Be warned, watching that show counts as self harm. It's one of the rare shows I turned off before the first commercial break.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mearn posted:

Like, remember to boost it so that if it's successful she'll be so busy she can't host Jeopardy?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Zesty posted:

I wonder how they get the players. Do they just pull professors from their usual recruiting pool? Which means they're bringing on a bunch of people that wouldn't otherwise make it onto the show? Or do they straight up recruit to fill it up?

i haven't been looking at the online tests in the past couple years but generally you click a box for "i'm a kid" or "i'm a teacher" or w/e, maybe they had a separate box this time

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The Sean posted:

Like, remember to boost it so that if it's successful she'll be so busy she can't host Jeopardy?

Precisely!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mearn posted:

Precisely!

:sickos:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This is all just a 4th-dimensional chess game to boost Call Me Kat's ratings. They've played us for fools.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Zesty posted:

Outside of the host, the tournament has been a little bit of a bore. These are certainly not power players. Very weak bets and safe plays from people who really need to fight for those wildcard slots.

An aside in Claire McNear's article that took down Michael Richards mentioned that a casting agency was helping with the search for the professor tournament, which led to some worried speculation that Jeopardy might start moving away from the audition process they've been using for years.

It was a petty minor controversy compared to everything else going on at the time, but it is something that stuck in my mind.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

I think they hired a firm to do it? I remember like a year ago someone found some post on Instagram looking for professors interested? I’d look it up but I’m on the road so can’t right now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I yelled at my TV when (I assume) Bialik had to have the judges rule that Connecticut is acceptable for UConn. It was in the college sports category about Maya Moore.

Bialik was horrible today. One contestant was allowed to practically sing You Are My Sunshine to get to the chorus with the correct song title in it. The pacing was totally fried and Bialik's cadence is driving me up the wall.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HookShot posted:

I think they hired a firm to do it? I remember like a year ago someone found some post on Instagram looking for professors interested? I’d look it up but I’m on the road so can’t right now.

There were ads during Jeopardy episodes earlier this year, too.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Maya Moore went to my high school so I was excited about that question. :v: She graduated the year before I started, I think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, we haven’t watched jeopardy since Richard’s was fired and I don’t know if we are going back. Show seems to not be on the right track, and as long as Mayim is involved gently caress it.

I really like Ken, so if they give it to him great, but I’m not holding our hope.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I yelled at my TV when (I assume) Bialik had to have the judges rule that Connecticut is acceptable for UConn. It was in the college sports category about Maya Moore.

Bialik was horrible today. One contestant was allowed to practically sing You Are My Sunshine to get to the chorus with the correct song title in it. The pacing was totally fried and Bialik's cadence is driving me up the wall.

Also let someone have the 1984 question with just "Winston". Thought you needed last names...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think that applies to fictional characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really don't know why they don't just keep doing teacher tournament, this professor poo poo feels weirdly forced like 'oh you know, SMART PEOPLE Jeopardy' which could be something, but then they just make it normal questions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It feels extra dumb because its jammed right in the middle of Amys run as champ and she would destroy all of them.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

They could have all wagered $0 and still made the semis, because the highest loser’s score this week was $4000.

why were the scores so low this week? I guess a typical professor only focuses on their field and not trivia, but at least some must be good at it. So how did the producers select these people??

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bialik laughing at a contestant for not getting the category while continuing to not reiterate. :jerkbag:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Bialik laughing at a contestant for not getting the category while continuing to not reiterate. :jerkbag:

This is easily my least favourite thing of all the bad things she does. She also laughs at contestants' wrong answers in final? Like, gently caress off. Alex could throw shade with the best of them, but he never openly, actively laughed at people's wrong answers.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

This is easily my least favourite thing of all the bad things she does. She also laughs at contestants' wrong answers in final? Like, gently caress off. Alex could throw shade with the best of them, but he never openly, actively laughed at people's wrong answers.

Alex throwing shade also felt deserved; you knew he could step behind a contestant podium and destroy you.

It's why I like Ken. He relates well to the contestants because he actually has been in their shoes and knows what they're going through. He seems to do a great job of putting them at ease and breaking things up with humor that doesn't feel like it's at the contestants' expense.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HookShot posted:

I also hate how she'll talk over contestants to add in random snippets that aren't interesting. Its rude and breaks up pace of show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Alex's 'I'm gonna razz the contestants' things were like 'ha ha none of you people in an academic field liked that sports category huh?' or 'aw you didn't know this canadian trivia?' kinda things, jokes that made sense beyond just 'lol you got question wrong'.

Also yea it helped that he wasn't an anti-vax brain pill shill and actually seemed like he'd make a perfectly fine contestant himself so it's more a 'peers' thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
She sucks as both a host and a person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is darkly funny that they got woo peddling/believing nutjobs as three of the guest hosts for the "smart person" show.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I find JP very annoying

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well that was a hell of a final jeopardy there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It seems two got tripped up by Scotland. It was basically Who was Queen of England in 1707?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Unkempt posted:

Well that was a hell of a final jeopardy there.

My vow to wager it all on physics regardless of the scenario would have really put me at risk there. That was the most atrociously written final. I got it at the very last second but gently caress, that was so poorly worded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Sam looks like a cross between Steve Martin and Mandy Patinkin