Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
material conditions literally do not matter, they literally do not, there is literally no possible conceivable connection between material conditions and voting choices, that is completely irrelevant, now let me tell you about how demographics are destiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

calves cramping

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mila kunis posted:

i'm being too harsh on corruption. even corrupt party machines used to actually deliver something to keep themselves in power and do incidental good

Yes, that's the really confounding thing about it. No matter how much it's in their existential interest to do so, Democrats refuse to do politics. It's more than just their class or fundraising interests preventing them from doing literally anything - there has to be some kind of ideological blinder that leads them to total impotence. Democrats are watching Republicans cut the brake lines of the electoral system and just going, "you'll be sorry when I start driving that thing around and everyone sees what you've done. I'll wrap myself around a loving tree, and then you'll be really sorry."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ex post facho posted:

calves cramping

The only way Beto could win is if he tricked Abbot into getting close to another oak tree

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Maximo Roboto posted:

He did engage non-engaged voters, but isn't that just because of population growth. Biden got more votes than Trump in 2020, and Trump got more votes than he did in 2016.

Sort of yeah. Using a 2010 population number (couldn't find a 2008 number easily) and a 2020 estimate, Trump 2020 and Obama 2008 got roughly the same amount of votes.

Trump got 22.4216% of the population
Obama got 22.4906% of the population
Biden 2020 got 24.5523%

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Maximo Roboto posted:

He did engage non-engaged voters, but isn't that just because of population growth. Biden got more votes than Trump in 2020, and Trump got more votes than he did in 2016.

Do you think Biden won primarily because D voters thought to themselves "Biden will be a good president" or because "Trump is bad we need a different guy"

because one of those reasons won't apply in 2024, and the R voters will turn out for whatever psychopath the GOP floats. 2020 results should have been utterly terrifying to D strategists but they're too busy going up their own asses with poo poo like that Hillary acceptance speech lmao

e: also, turnout percentage wise was unusually high for both parties, in spite of COVID which certainly discouraged some portion of voters

https://www.brookings.edu/research/turnout-in-2020-spiked-among-both-democratic-and-republican-voting-groups-new-census-data-shows/

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Dec 8, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Hillary finding new and even cringier self owns

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes, that's the really confounding thing about it. No matter how much it's in their existential interest to do so, Democrats refuse to do politics. It's more than just their class or fundraising interests preventing them from doing literally anything - there has to be some kind of ideological blinder that leads them to total impotence. Democrats are watching Republicans cut the brake lines of the electoral system and just going, "you'll be sorry when I start driving that thing around and everyone sees what you've done. I'll wrap myself around a loving tree, and then you'll be really sorry."

the neoliberal consensus in the Democratic Party and news media see “doing things that will make your citizens want to vote for you” as cheating at politics, as if politics was high school debate club

vote for the democrats because they don’t overtly say racist things like those gross republicans (they’ll just enact the exact same grotesquely unpopular policies)

this also explains their hatred at anyone who chooses not to vote. how can you not think we’re the smarter ones, we said all those nice eloquent things

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Do you think Biden won primarily because D voters thought to themselves "Biden will be a good president" or because "Trump is bad we need a different guy"

because one of those reasons won't apply in 2024, and the R voters will turn out for whatever psychopath the GOP floats. 2020 results should have been utterly terrifying to D strategists but they're too busy going up their own asses with poo poo like that Hillary acceptance speech lmao

My point is the "X got the most votes ever" are meaningless because it's probably just a consequence of population growth, and 2020 in particular was because of lowered barriers to voting thanks to vote-by-mail, and voters more engaged due to extreme circumstances.

It doesn't mean that D isn't screwed, I just don't think big number means much.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Sort of yeah. Using a 2010 population number (couldn't find a 2008 number easily) and a 2020 estimate, Trump 2020 and Obama 2008 got roughly the same amount of votes.

Trump got 22.4216% of the population
Obama got 22.4906% of the population
Biden 2020 got 24.5523%

Okay I do like comparing it on a percentage basis.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

sorry yeah I edited my post with more info that followed up on that, the percentage of both parties' participation went way up in 2020. it's not just population growth.

e: by the way that previous big spike in 1992 is Bill Clinton vs. George HW Bush

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Dec 8, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DoubleDonut posted:

this also explains their hatred at anyone who chooses not to vote. how can you not think we’re the smarter ones, we said all those nice eloquent things

lol they get so mad when you tell them you voted third party

what do you mean, you just said to go vote, so i voted for nader since his positions were closest to my views, didn't your civics class teach you to do that?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

this might be a controversial opinion but, the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

libs really do get mad at republicans not for doing the thing, but for doing things at all (See how many trump policies sleepy joe is continuing)

most of the indignation is like "hey! no fair! he's enacting the agenda he was specifically elected to enact! the one he talked about for months! can i talk to the manager about this!"

like they were genuinely surprised trumo or the people around him actually believed in stuff and tried to do stuff and accomplish goals rather than just congratulating themselves on taking the high road and doing things the right way

"oh they won't make immigration illegal, they need it for turnout"
*soyface*
"oh they won't replace rbg it'd be against decorum"
*soyface*
"surely they won't ram through a justice just to control the court for a generation that would be rude"
*soyface*
"surely they won't rollback roe vs. wade they need it for turnout"
*soyface*

i forget who it was that said trump was like a golden retriever playing basketball and he was throwing down sick dunks and making 3 point shots and the libs are the guy screaming COME ON REF HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT and even if they happen to be right most people can't escape the fact that they are getting their asses kicked by a dog playing basketball

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Dec 9, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

mericans are motived to the polls by spite. "negative engagement" or something its called. i actually read a whole book about this called The Great Alignment: Race, Party Transformation, and the Rise of Donald Trump by Alan Abramowitz, who is a tepid little nerdlinger lib bitch, but, he has a lot NUMBERS in this book, which u can read if u like.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Come check out my masterclass on resilience, I'll teach you to be resilient, a quality that I am a master of. We'll talk about the election I lost 5 years ago. I should have won, right? Everyone really regrets not voting for me I bet, they should, I deserved that. In my resilience masterclass, I'll talk about how I would have been a great president, if only those motherfuckers gave me a chance. The key to resilience is not letting things get to you too much. You want to hear the victory speech I would have given? Oh, it's great. I still have it, too, want to hear it? I keep it on me, sometimes I'll give the speech in the bathroom.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Robert Francis "Beta" O'Dork

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hillary finding new and even cringier self owns

the only hope for the survival of the democrats is that they immediately transfer every living Clinton and Obama to a CIA black site for the next 50 years.

but they’re not playing to win so I fully expect Clinton to get another bite at the apple in 2024

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Watching Hillary get owned again would be very, very funny

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Come check out my masterclass on resilience, I'll teach you to be resilient, a quality that I am a master of. We'll talk about the election I lost 5 years ago. I should have won, right? Everyone really regrets not voting for me I bet, they should, I deserved that. In my resilience masterclass, I'll talk about how I would have been a great president, if only those motherfuckers gave me a chance. The key to resilience is not letting things get to you too much. You want to hear the victory speech I would have given? Oh, it's great. I still have it, too, want to hear it? I keep it on me, sometimes I'll give the speech in the bathroom.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Hillary is going to make so much money from 2016 dead Enders

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

hillary dead enders are hilarious none more so than hildawg herself

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Nothing teaches resilience like losing to a reality TV show star.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

the neoliberal consensus in the Democratic Party and news media see “doing things that will make your citizens want to vote for you” as cheating at politics, as if politics was high school debate club

vote for the democrats because they don’t overtly say racist things like those gross republicans (they’ll just enact the exact same grotesquely unpopular policies)

I felt like this was simplistic at first, but I think there is a lot to it. Like when Nancy Pelosi said, "we're all about identity now," she meant it literally. Democrats are selling people a basket of cultural signifiers that reinforce their own sense of superiority over others. Voting Democrat proves you're a good person, and that's all that counts. Democrats themselves only need to serve the whims of market forces, because as an advanced bourgeois dictatorship those are the only forces that count.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

*sobbing as i crank fight song*

drat you vladmir putin it was her turn

we could've had an abuela

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

*sobbing as i crank fight song*

drat you vladmir putin it was her turn

we could've had an abuela

Thank you comrade Putin from saving America from Crooked Hillary's fake folksy voice!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol remember when she casually revealed in passing that she used to have slaves?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol remember when she casually revealed in passing that she used to have slaves?

Also how the slaves were punished / sent back to prison if they didn’t work fast enough.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

i remember the libs were like "pfft not like they were HER slaves, they were slaves of the STATE she happened to USE!"

*nods in kamala*

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Dec 9, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

Nothing teaches resilience like losing to a reality TV show star.

nevertheless, she persisted

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

...................... What?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/PollTrackerUSA/status/1468968016662564869

sickos.jpg

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

...................... What?

when bill clinton was governor of arkansas they used prison labor as personal servants in the governor's mansion, i.e. modern slavery

https://www.newsweek.com/hillary-clinton-prison-labor-african-americans-arkansas-622209

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

when bill clinton was governor of arkansas they used prison labor as personal servants in the governor's mansion, i.e. modern slavery

https://www.newsweek.com/hillary-clinton-prison-labor-african-americans-arkansas-622209

most/every state does this with their government facilities btw, it's far from just a lovely arkansas thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's monstrous that it happens but it is funny that clinton actually brought it up. no one would have known otherwise.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's more ghoulish than that, she mentions it in her book while musing about how she had total power over them and could have them sent back to the slammer if they were rude or anything

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

it's going to be goddamn hilarious if trump and the republicans do all this work to rig the election and he wins like 50-38% just walking away with it because the dems run the butt and copmala

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol he hasn't even been in office for a year and the libs are already fantasizing about biden not running somehow

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, they were fantasizing about him not running while he was running. the idea was that after biden won the primary, cuomo would somehow take over.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol he hasn't even been in office for a year and the libs are already fantasizing about biden not running somehow

It's hardly a "somehow." There's a good chance he doesn't even survive the year. If they wanted Biden to run again they'd have to strap his rear end to the Golden Throne.

https://twitter.com/queeralamode/status/1468650830127452163?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
2022 and 2024 are going to reach heights of comedy we previously thought was impossible