Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
This thread became about Watson's disgusting abuser status and rightfully so but Easterby is still a garbage presence and he ain't going anywhere it seems

https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/1468432790647717892

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams allegedly offered the Texans a similar deal they gave for Stafford but the Texans wanted more first rounders. Everything that has come out since about the Stafford trade though suggests that initial report was a lie though.

After the accusations I assume? That's lovely

Glad they ended up with Stafford even if he may be broken on some level

Intruder posted:

This thread became about Watson's disgusting abuser status and rightfully so but Easterby is still a garbage presence and he ain't going anywhere it seems

What is Easterby's role in this? I wasn't really paying attention when it all went down so I don't really know a thing about him... he's the guy who used to be the Patriots... chaplain or some poo poo?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Play posted:

What is Easterby's role in this? I wasn't really paying attention when it all went down so I don't really know a thing about him... he's the guy who used to be the Patriots... chaplain or some poo poo?

He worked for the Patriots as kind of like a glorified baby sitter and some sort of pseudo counselor for the players. According to Zolak, he was the one who was supposed to be in charge of keeping Josh Gordon in line and out of trouble while he was there which well... so much for that

He then made his way to Houston and tried to recruit Caserio there at an event at Krafts house only for the Patriots to get mad and block the move. Caserio ended up going to Houston anyway once his contract expired

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nodoze posted:

He worked for the Patriots as kind of like a glorified baby sitter and some sort of pseudo counselor for the players. According to Zolak, he was the one who was supposed to be in charge of keeping Josh Gordon in line and out of trouble while he was there which well... so much for that

He then made his way to Houston and tried to recruit Caserio there at an event at Krafts house only for the Patriots to get mad and block the move. Caserio ended up going to Houston anyway once his contract expired

Does he have anything to do with this Watson stuff though?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Man remember the good old days when we could just lol at Easterby instead of what the Texans have become?

Whoever started calling him "Youth Pastor Rasputin" is a loving genius because that is the perfect summary. He got into the Pats org a while back as a "chaplain/counselor" and for what it's worth you can pull up a bunch of player quotes about how he helped them through hard times. I think he was specifically brought in in the wake of the Aaron Hernandez debacle. Which, fine, whatever. But then he followed BoB over to the Texans and went full Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings. He's by all accounts become the owner's right hand man with sweeping influence over the team and no oversight of his own decisions, which is just :psyduck: because he has no actual football experience or knowledge whatsoever.

As far as his role in the Watson poo poo, I don't think there's any direct naming of him. But given his position and how he worms his way toward anyone with power and influence there's just no way he was uninvolved and unaware.

Also if you search YouTube for his speeches and sermons it's the most cringe poo poo ever. I think it's been linked in this thread but he's like badly imitating his take on the mannerisms of black players and talking about how to trick people into thinking he's their friend with all the sophistication of a 17 year old /r/redpill poster. All of this taken together adds up to uh not exactly a good look for Texans' ownership. But they seem content to ride or die with him.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Play posted:

In dealing/not dealing him, maybe. In the stuff Watson actually did, no

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Didn't Easterby have a had in running Hopkins out of town?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

No it was before, I think the Stafford trade was wrapped up before the Super Bowl was even played

Hard to believe the Texans haven't known about their rapist QB for awhile though

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Easterby got his start at South Carolina as a chaplain/"character coach" and also was working that role for the Chiefs when the Jovan Belcher situation happened, so there are more than a few players who will say nice things about his counseling.

Easterby did indeed push for a Hopkins trade and had reportedly been trying to do so since 2019, because of 'attitude' so yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Play posted:

No, but this thread predates the Watson accusations and was originally about how hilariously incompetent Easterby is

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Didn't Easterby have a had in running Hopkins out of town?

I think that was still mostly BoB and Bob McNair. They also pushed Duane Brown out of town for being vocal about BLM (before it had that name) which was the catalyst that led to where the team is today. With him gone they suddenly had a massive hole at LT they filled by trading for Tunsil whose production ended up more or less equal to Brown's but at triple the price tag and at the cost of two firsts and two seconds

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 8, 2021

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Anyone who hasn't read the story in the OP absolutely should because it's hilarious

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Not to make light of addiction but I can't imagine anything making me want a drink more than having to put up with a meeting with Easterby.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

I think that was still mostly BoB and Bob McNair. They also pushed Duane Brown out of town for being vocal about BLM (before it had that name) which was the catalyst that led to where the team is today. With him gone they suddenly had a massive hole at LT they filled by trading for Tunsil whose production ended up more or less equal to Brown's but at triple the price tag and at the cost of two firsts and two seconds

SI has said it was Easterby, fwiw.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/deandre-hopkins-trade-jack-easterby-texans

quote:

Texans executive Vice President Jack Easterby pushed the team to trade star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins last offseason, Sports Illustrated's Jenny Vrentas and Greg Bishop report.

Four sources told Sports Illustrated that Easterby was the first, and most persistent, advocate for the team dealing the star receiver. Former Texans head coach and general manager Bill O'Brien was previously regarded as the primary advocate for dealing Hopkins to the Cardinals.

One source told Sports Illustrated that on multiple occasions in 2019, Easterby told a small group of people that “we need to move on from that person” referring to Hopkins without using the wideout's name. Another source told SI that they later learned the Texans discussed trading Hopkins as early as the summer of 2019.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Evangelical Rasputin lmao

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

Easterby got his start at South Carolina as a chaplain/"character coach" and also was working that role for the Chiefs when the Jovan Belcher situation happened, so there are more than a few players who will say nice things about his counseling.

Easterby did indeed push for a Hopkins trade and had reportedly been trying to do so since 2019, because of 'attitude' so yeah

I would bet my life it's because DeAndre Hopkins used to lead his teammates in prayer and sorry we can only have White Republican Jesus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Anyone who hasn't read the story in the OP absolutely should because it's hilarious

cheers, that was good. definitely a wormtongue-rear end motherfucker

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
LOL Caserio won't say anything about David Culley until after the season. Why not just say "Of course he's our coach, he's signed through whenever and will be back next year"

Honestly Culley has done better then anyone could have expected given the roster. They already had to scrape the bottom of the barrel getting the Ravens Passing Game Co-ordinator. Whose going to come with a roster this bad and the fact that they will just fire you after 1 season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

syzpid posted:

LOL Caserio won't say anything about David Culley until after the season. Why not just say "Of course he's our coach, he's signed through whenever and will be back next year"

Honestly Culley has done better then anyone could have expected given the roster. They already had to scrape the bottom of the barrel getting the Ravens Passing Game Co-ordinator. Whose going to come with a roster this bad and the fact that they will just fire you after 1 season.

Caserio seems like a perfect corporate villain in a movie or something, he's very into de-humanizing language. Assuming he didn't know about the Watson stuff long before we did (...maybe he did but I kinda doubt it was a lot earlier) and was just working off of Watson not wanting to play for the Texans he repeatedly referred to him as 'the player' when asked about him.

Er, my scattered thoughts are that 'we don't think about these things until after the season' is perfectly in character with his fake lawyer act.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Breer had in his mailbag that there’s rumblings Caserio has a guy he’s wanted as his HC since before he got the Texans job and Culley is more or less placeholding if he’s able to get him.

So probably McDaniels or like Steve Belichick.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Diva Cupcake posted:

Breer had in his mailbag that there’s rumblings Caserio has a guy he’s wanted as his HC since before he got the Texans job and Culley is more or less placeholding if he’s able to get him.

So probably McDaniels or like Steve Belichick.

Take Joe Judge, please.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wouldn't be shocked if the Texans have convinced themselves they can poach Belichick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know if it'd be dumber to try and get the age 71 and 72 years of Bill or if you mean Steve.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
They steal Bill’s dog, name it the head coach, and proceed to improve to 5 wins next year.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

McDaniels whole thing is being picky about QB and ownership situation and given that Texas has zero stability at either of those I think that is a long shot. I don't say that in the sense McNair is going to sell the team, just he can't be trusted not to stay out of the way either on his own or with Easterby subtly pulling the strings. As far as their QB situation goes, well... yeah

Caserio does love Judge and it would be the most Texans thing to immediately hire him if he gets canned. I could almost say BoB if it was any other team but obviously not the Texans. Here is a terrifying thought, what if it's Matt Patricia

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It remains super weird for me that the coach with a Hall of Fame reputation for being able to make anything work as long as his players have buy-in keeps on spawning saplings who absolutely insist on having very specific players & coaches or else nothing they do will ever work

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

McDaniels whole thing is being picky about QB and ownership situation and given that Texas has zero stability at either of those I think that is a long shot. I don't say that in the sense McNair is going to sell the team, just he can't be trusted not to stay out of the way either on his own or with Easterby subtly pulling the strings. As far as their QB situation goes, well... yeah

Caserio does love Judge and it would be the most Texans thing to immediately hire him if he gets canned. I could almost say BoB if it was any other team but obviously not the Texans. Here is a terrifying thought, what if it's Matt Patricia

Then it is time to disband the Texans and try starting a new team.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It remains super weird for me that the coach with a Hall of Fame reputation for being able to make anything work as long as his players have buy-in keeps on spawning saplings who absolutely insist on having very specific players & coaches or else nothing they do will ever work

How many American companies do you think tried to install the Toyota Production System and only managed to mimic the most surface elements and language?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

Then it is time to disband the Texans and try starting a new team.

No bullshit an expansion draft would probably result in a better roster than what they currently have

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SKULL.GIF posted:

Getting a lot out of guys who aren't known as top-tier talent isn't the same thing as making anything work. Bill is a control freak who is both the GM and coach. He's absolutely ruthless and has repeatedly traded players to shitter teams for falling out of line. He's also notorious for filling a lot of coaching roles himself if he doesn't have someone he trusts. If he wasn't successful, he'd be known as the biggest diva coach in the league. He can only do what he does because he wins. I mean poo poo go back to his resignation from the Jets.

Also, he has one of very few owners that are actually good. Also, he has staff around him from a 20 year reign of terror. If McDaniels leaves again, yeah it will hurt, but McDaniels would have to build a whole coaching staff from scratch or deal with the drama from guys carried over. Bill just has to figure out who is going to be the new OC from a pool of guys he already works with.

Also, there are an awful lot of people who will teach you what they want you to do without teaching you how to be like them. So these guys working under him see Bill as a micromanaging perfectionist control freak, which he is, but if they don't learn all the minutia that let him get away with it, they're not going to repeat his success.

I'm not trying to make excuses for McDaniels or anything, I'm just pointing out that "lol just be Bill Belichick" is kind of a ridiculous task for anyone that requires the stars perfectly aligning.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 9, 2021

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Introducing your new 2022 Houston Texans head football coach, Jason Garret.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TowerofOil posted:

Introducing your new 2022 Houston Texans head football coach, Jason Garret.

I almost made that joke myself, but I think if Caserio or Easterby wanted Garrett, they’d have poached him last offseason, since he’d have been making the jump back to head coach. I can’t recall if his name ever came up in their coaching search before Culley was hired.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's mostly they try to be be Bill Belichik instead of like taking the best of what they learned from him and try to adapt to their personality. It's like every manager you had that read an HBS article and then on the fly said we were doing this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I do think it's interesting that the most successful coach* from the Belichick tree is a former player.

*so far

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

When you leave New England to be a HC you get injected with a portion of Bill's surliness and a coupon for one free victory over him.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

fartknocker posted:

I almost made that joke myself, but I think if Caserio or Easterby wanted Garrett, they’d have poached him last offseason, since he’d have been making the jump back to head coach. I can’t recall if his name ever came up in their coaching search before Culley was hired.

They only hired Culley to appease Watson

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DariusLikewise posted:

I doubt they had many options. That’s a poo poo job even compared to other notorious poo poo jobs in the NFL.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Naw Watson was pretty vocal about wanting to get Bieniemy and started asking for a trade shortly after we hired Culley.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

spaced ninja posted:

Naw Watson was pretty vocal about wanting to get Bieniemy and started asking for a trade shortly after we hired Culley.

Yeah that's the opposite of what i remember (the Culley hire appeasing Watson somehow), he got super pissed that Cal/the front office said he would be involved in the decision and he wasn't at all.

Watson's by far the worst but holy crap I just step back now and then and think about how every single aspect of the Texans is a mess.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Despite winning a couple games the Texans are absolutely a bigger joke in every way than the Lions. Let that sink in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

spaced ninja posted:

I thought the deal was Watson wanted Bieniemy because he thought he would be better for the team but he wasn't religious/high character enough for Easterby and his take away was Watson wanted a black head coach so he set out to find a man of god who is also black