Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MeinPanzer posted:

It's funny that when I returned to MTG after literally 20 years away from the game and learned about all the tiny variations on kicker or whatever that got their own dogshit keywords, it's cleave of all things that leads people to claim that keywords have jumped the shark.

"Everything is kicker" has been an in-joke for years, but at least the other keywords WotC has come up with have had some sort of flavor fill. "Cleave" is uniquely bad in describing the effect's function, especially coming from the Dungeons & Dragons company where "Cleave" has a very specific meaning that it evokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh yeah it should have been bribe and then the rules could read "if the bribe was paid, ignore the bracketed text"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm here because the squeeze of Arena has become too much and I don't want to pay boatloads of money to play this game. In-person drafts sound fun to me, as well as a cube for playing with friends. Are artisan or pauper cubes affordable/fun?

I have a pauper cube (it's just the list from here) and it's great fun. It's low effort to maintain as they stick to about 4 updates a year and roll sets together into a single update rather than go to a more frequent schedule. 95% of the cards cost pennies and a lot of the older pricier cards have been pushed out by the surge of new powerful commons in the modern horizons sets. Off the top of my head, the most expensive card currently in the cube is Nature's Lore and that's a massive outlier.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MeinPanzer posted:

It's funny that when I returned to MTG after literally 20 years away from the game and learned about all the tiny variations on kicker or whatever that got their own dogshit keywords, it's cleave of all things that leads people to claim that keywords have jumped the shark.

I think a lot of the beef with Cleave is a combination of: not being very evocative as a keyword, not fitting in thematically with the setting of Innistrad, incredibly clunky to read - especially aloud.

If it was Bribe/Omit/Redact/whatever and in a set where that makes sense thematically (eg Capenna, Fiora, Ravnica in Dimir or Azorius, etc) I'd expect fewer people would hate it.

What was the last keyword to get this much scorn? Was it Megamorph??

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I had a lot of trouble trying to convince people to draft my cube, even when people were tired of the current set. "We draft and then don't even get to keep the cards!? Why would I do that?"

It was disappointing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

odiv posted:

I had a lot of trouble trying to convince people to draft my cube, even when people were tired of the current set. "We draft and then don't even get to keep the cards!? Why would I do that?"

It was disappointing.

Absolutely insane. I love playing other people's cubes and tinkering with my own.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

They preferred to buy leftover prerelease packs from previous sets and doing sealed instead. :(

I was willing to let randos handle my Liliana of the Veil and Force of Will. At least meet me half way?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Honestly I'm excited for more Spirit support out of Kamigawa than anything else. New Katilda is super fun but not quite good enough

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

MeinPanzer posted:

It's less jumping the shark and more that it's just an extremely obtuse way to word a kicker variant (and it's especially frustrating to read out loud because you essentially have to read the card twice to explain how the mechanic works). That and it kinda sucks at flavor because it doesn't really have anything to do with Innistrad or a wedding theme.

It's a bad version of kicker that will hopefully be seen as disliked and therefore rarely (if ever) reused, much like many other mechanics that they don't print cards for anymore.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

odiv posted:

It was disappointing.

That's another benefit of the pauper cube, imo. No one cares about keeping commons with a max value of £3.50, and my friends have said they appreciate being able to draft purely for deck quality rather than there being a tension between good for the deck vs good for the collection.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
we postin cubes, it's the best format, draft broken poo poo like bomat courrier

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/wtwlf123

thank god crimson vow has maybe one card to add, midnight hunt added a ton

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/dixonij/status/1468978412425400325

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Tarnop posted:

That's another benefit of the pauper cube, imo. No one cares about keeping commons with a max value of £3.50, and my friends have said they appreciate being able to draft purely for deck quality rather than there being a tension between good for the deck vs good for the collection.

This is it exactly it, drafting on arena was very little fun for me because I felt like I had to balance having fun with gambling to try and get the best collection for my money. If I could pay like $10 for a season pass to phantom draft a set on arena that would be worth it, but that doesn't seem to be their aim at all.

This sort of cube is pretty much what I was looking for, thanks for the link! It's good to know that there's plenty of other people around who want to play the game like I do. I'll probably look around at other lists to see if I would make any modifications for personal taste in the future but this seems like a great place to start. And while I generally don't want to spend a lot of money, Llanowar Elves has been my favorite card for like 20 years and I want the fanciest/prettiest looking ones possible, so what's the best way to see all the different ones ever printed?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dracula Factory posted:

And while I generally don't want to spend a lot of money, Llanowar Elves has been my favorite card for like 20 years and I want the fanciest/prettiest looking ones possible, so what's the best way to see all the different ones ever printed?

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Llanowar+Elves%22+include%3Aextras&unique=prints

Scryfall -> "View all Prints" of the specific card you're looking at

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Cleave's fine conceptually but the way they word it is dumb as hell. Everytime I've played a cleave card and I've paid the cleave cost there's always a pause as people have to think about what the card's suppose to do now. There's something about paying a higher cost to have words removed that gets people.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

If you only care about the art, you can reduce it to unique arts

quote:

!"Llanowar Elves" include:extras unique:art
https://scryfall.com/search?q=%21%22Llanowar+Elves%22+include%3Aextras+unique%3Aart&unique=prints&as=grid&order=released

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

What was the last keyword to get this much scorn? Was it Megamorph??
It's got to be devoid right?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Why is Faceless Haven suddenly banned in historic now?

I can't seem play BO1 with it anymore after the most recent update?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Megamorph and Devoid are apparently two of the worst received mechanics of all time, but mostly just because they're kind of boring. Cleave isn't boring (well, it's boring in the sense that it's just a weird alternate casting cost thing, but at least the cards are cool) but the flavour sucks and it is kind of confusing.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Why is Faceless Haven suddenly banned in historic now?

I can't seem play BO1 with it anymore after the most recent update?

Faceless Haven got ALCHEMIZED and is now a 3/3. I guess there will be a new version in your collection? I haven't logged into the client today so can't say for sure.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Infect player

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you have to go into the deck and swap it manually lol. At least I got to upgrade my wizard class in baral brawl?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Faceless Haven got ALCHEMIZED and is now a 3/3. I guess there will be a new version in your collection? I haven't logged into the client today so can't say for sure.

Apologies for a possible stupid question but isn't Alchemy it's own dedicated format?

Why would it effect Historic legality?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

:can:

edit: "We" just complained about Alchemy affecting Historic for a bunch of pages.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Apologies for a possible stupid question but isn't Alchemy it's own dedicated format?

You need to take out your faceless heavens and replace them with faceless heavens. You can recognize them by the fact that they use the exact same set symbol.

Because Historic is a digital only format it uses the digital only version of cards. Haven't you been on the internet this week? Every historic player has been screaming about it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Sit down buddy there's something you should know.

Alchemy is part of the eternal format on arena. There is no separate Historic format. Alchemy is Historic

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

Because Wizards hates having formats that people enjoy.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

odiv posted:

:can:

edit: "We" just complained about Alchemy affecting Historic for a bunch of pages.

I mostly skim posts unless it's something I really care about.

lol, this whole time I thought Alchemy was it's own separate format (which is why i ignored it because i wasn't going to play a format with rebalanced cards) so I was under the assumption it was a brand new arena only format that had it's own card pools with said rebalanced cards.

i totally glossed over that it was part of historic vs it's own dedicated format. i thought you could play historic with alchemy balances or play regular historic as it's been forever. so dumb

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think Alchemy is its own format but any card modified for one is also modified for the other

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Elyv posted:

I think Alchemy is its own format but any card modified for one is also modified for the other

yeah, i am on board now. granted my stupid bo1 deck isn't that ruined because of faceless haven but i was just like wtf.....rip to anyones decks who got screwed over, I can see why people would be mad all of a sudden

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If Alchemy does totally destroy Standard (and I expect that it will) it bums me out that I’ll never be able to get all the cards I need from a set by drafting it a bunch anymore. I realize that’s been true of Historic for a hot sec but I was finally getting in the groove the last few sets of basically acquiring a play set of everything I needed by drafting.

Which I suppose may be part of why they’re doing this. A bummer.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We might see them offer a mix of alchemy and vanilla boosters as draft prizes, who knows. Just stay away from constructed basically I guess.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

THREAD RULES AND GUIDELINES

They're Ruining Magic! It's Doomed!: Magic: The Gathering is the most profitable Trad Game around the world and it is not going away any time soon. If they're printing cards you hate, fair enough: you can say so, and you can say why. But please, nobody really wants to explain to yet another poster how this latest Secret Lair is not, in fact, dooming the game or the company to oblivion. Perhaps it's the last straw for you, and if so, that's your call to make... but don't expect many posters to follow. We are also completely done with re-hashing the problematic nature of the Walking Dead Secret Lair cards.

Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro Sucks: Yes. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. This company has, and likely will in the future, make really lovely hiring and firing choices, abuse employees, ruin the environment, screw over customers, and sell a gambling product that exploits people's addictions and rips people off. Everyone who plays Magic or spends money on Magic must contend with their own moral compass. If you want to engage in this discussion, it belongs in the TG as an Industry thread, not here.

============================================

It's been pointed out to me today by a poster that maybe we haven't been enforcing these new thread rules. I haven't been keeping up with this thread on a daily basis lately, potatocubed doesn't either, so perhaps we've been negligent. However, based on skimming a few pages about the current Alchemy thing, I'm not sure if I could directly apply these as-written anyway. Altering the base assumptions of how Historic works isn't exactly comparable to the secret lair stuff, and the complains don't seem to be "Wizards is doomed/Magic is doomed" so much as "I hate this", which is explicitly permitted by these rules as a topic.

This also isn't about Wizards' malfeasance as an employer, like, abusing employees or moral compass decisions.

So on reflection, no, I don't think this thread has been flagrantly violating either of these rules, at least not in the last couple of days. That said, it sure seems to be grim up in here lately, there's a lot less chat about specific play or whatever and a lot more angst and anger etc. I don't think it's reasonable for mods to insist a thread always be cheerful, but I also don't think a permanent "death thread" is what any of you really want for the magic thread.

I do want to emphasize that regardless of the state of the game currently, when people ask questions - newbies or regulars - they can be answered without derision or scorn. We've let a few reports that were marginal slide in recent weeks, because it's been tough to look at one specific post that was borderline and say "OK that clearly deserves a sixer" or, in a few cases, neither of us saw the report until like 18 hours later and the posters involved had already moved on. That's always going to be the case for moderation in Trad Games because we don't have round-the-clock mod coverage the way some of the more busy forums like GBS or the politics forums have.

But when a poster goes on a tear with several lovely posts, we're going to hit that. And we're going to continue to ask folks in the thread to try to cut each other some slack, assume good faith instead of presuming bad faith, and generally try to get along.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the thread rules are ruining magic

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think alchemy is the exception for doom posting since it’s a fundamental shift in the game. It’s a pretty massive change and considering the pattern from wizards over the past year, I think folks who are pessimistic have turned out to be correct. Also like ya sure folks not in the thread are maybe happy but it’s ok for the consensus in this thread to be negative about some things.

Shits bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah this new stuff is so messed up that even I have a problem with it. but you know life goes on