Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MarcusSA posted:

Tbh I just watched a let’s play of it which helped a lot.

It was also a really chill way to relax lol

Any specific one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing from 7DTD's A20 along with what some friends are reporting, though I'm currently hitting a black screen after the TFP splash screen hits. Anyone experience similar? Haven't found any obvious fix yet, but it's like day 2 of the experimental release so I'm chillin'

edit: oh I should probably check the thread too, huh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drone posted:

Any specific one?

Yeah this guy was my choice because there’s not a whole lot of people doing it but he’s pretty chill

https://youtu.be/L3s0CPlWz7M

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So hey people were talking about Myth of Empires in this thread, right? Because it turns out it might be built wholesale on ARK's stolen codebase.
E: Some title confusion thanks to the apparently erroneous name in sub-header

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 8, 2021

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So hey people were talking about Myth of Empires in this thread, right? Because it turns out it might be built wholesale on ARK's stolen codebase.
E: Some title confusion thanks to the apparently erroneous name in sub-header

Nice to know now why it was gone when I went to buy it the other day. Looked good I was watching kage848 play it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Maxing bows in Icarus kinda breaks the game. I can easily solo polar bears with a longbow & bone arrows now without having to do anything more than walk backwards a little, and run speed talents + run speed with bow + two speed modules makes you fast as hell.

Find some carrots (+5% ranged damage) and cook up some fish (+75% stamina regen) and you’re pretty much set.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

idiotsavant posted:

Maxing bows in Icarus kinda breaks the game. I can easily solo polar bears with a longbow & bone arrows now without having to do anything more than walk backwards a little, and run speed talents + run speed with bow + two speed modules makes you fast as hell.

Find some carrots (+5% ranged damage) and cook up some fish (+75% stamina regen) and you’re pretty much set.

Add some flatbread too for +100% more stamina regen. Wheat in mortar and pestle, flour in herbalist station, then cook in a fire. It has a massive buff that lasts for like 1800 seconds. edit: 900

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 9, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Good point. I was thinking about saving the bp points but I have like 40 unspent points, one extra isn’t a big deal.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Project Zomboid has released their B41 multiplayer as an experimental test branch https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2021/12/b41-mp-test-41-60-branch-released/

They advise playing only with people you know/white listed servers due to likelihood of exploits and hacks. Louisville addition has been added.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Project Zomboid has released their B41 multiplayer as an experimental test branch https://projectzomboid.com/blog/news/2021/12/b41-mp-test-41-60-branch-released/

They advise playing only with people you know/white listed servers due to likelihood of exploits and hacks. Louisville addition has been added.

Here’s some new footage of it that just got released.

https://youtu.be/P8oeNpy9Hzs

Also who here wants to play some multiplayer?

poo poo I’ll even spring for a server if need be.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
God, I was just asking about this. Had no idea it might be so soon. Let us know how stable it is because I'm not sure if I should jump in with a friend now or wait a little longer.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

They advise playing only with people you know/white listed servers due to likelihood of exploits and hacks.

Uhhhh, to what extent? Like cheating/griefing or something more malicious and consequential?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BrianRx posted:

Uhhhh, to what extent? Like cheating/griefing or something more malicious and consequential?

quote:

Public servers are NOT recommended. Whitelisted and co-op servers are strongly recommended for the best experience. There will likely be exploits and hack vulnerabilities that will probably make public servers a nightmarishly annoying place to be. We’ll look to address these in future builds.

Sounds like griefers, probably looking out for the risk of someone taking an axe to the front door of your base and letting all the zeds in.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Here’s some new footage of it that just got released.

https://youtu.be/P8oeNpy9Hzs

Also who here wants to play some multiplayer?

poo poo I’ll even spring for a server if need be.

I'm down to play. I'm warcrimes on the Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming discord server.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

warcrimes posted:

I'm down to play. I'm warcrimes on the Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming discord server.

Sweet mine is Field Marshal Prolapse.

I’ll look around to see what the hosting options there are. I’m just using a very old iMac that has Boot Camp on it, it’s probably better to host it somewhere.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sweet mine is Field Marshal Prolapse.

I’ll look around to see what the hosting options there are. I’m just using a very old iMac that has Boot Camp on it, it’s probably better to host it somewhere.

Third party hosting isn't available yet, I think. Players have to host it for now. And I think you can only join a server via Steam but not 100%. I just got home so am not fully versed on all that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

warcrimes posted:

Third party hosting isn't available yet, I think. Players have to host it for now. And I think you can only join a server via Steam but not 100%. I just got home so am not fully versed on all that.

Ah I see. I thought that this version already had that built in. I guess it’s just steam for now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

God, I was just asking about this. Had no idea it might be so soon. Let us know how stable it is because I'm not sure if I should jump in with a friend now or wait a little longer.

I’m personally waiting a few weeks for initial bugs then seeing if my usual crew would be up to it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Pushing into the higher levels of Icarus and it definitely needs a group if you don’t want to grind the same poo poo for hours to make t4 stuff.

I think Valheim had a great system for unlocking tech and equipment advances; mix a little of the previous biome materials in with newer, harder to get materials. Icarus is more akin to Albion/New World where you end up having to farm a shitload of basic materials to make high level stuff. You can cut some of that short by taking certain talents (namely make sticks from wood) but it’ll cost you multiple (I think at least 3-4) talent points (you currently get 40 total) and a blueprint point as well. Pretty loving rough tbh.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

idiotsavant posted:

Pushing into the higher levels of Icarus and it definitely needs a group if you don’t want to grind the same poo poo for hours to make t4 stuff.

I think Valheim had a great system for unlocking tech and equipment advances; mix a little of the previous biome materials in with newer, harder to get materials. Icarus is more akin to Albion/New World where you end up having to farm a shitload of basic materials to make high level stuff. You can cut some of that short by taking certain talents (namely make sticks from wood) but it’ll cost you multiple (I think at least 3-4) talent points (you currently get 40 total) and a blueprint point as well. Pretty loving rough tbh.
You can just turn sticks into wood with 1 blueprint point into the t2 carpentry table. The talent and points expenditure just let's you do it by hand. Absolutely don't waste a talent on it unless you have a desperate need to craft sticks by hand.

Edit: same goes for the leather into rope, don't waste poo poo on it, the textile station has the recipe already by default.

Edit2: it goes without saying that requiring a *talent* point just to unlock a *blueprint option* that you then gave to spend a *blueprint point* on to craft sticks or ropes by hand without a station is the DUMBEST poo poo.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 10, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idiotsavant posted:

I think Valheim had a great system for unlocking tech and equipment advances
I will still say that needing to dungeon crawl so you can smelt metal was really obnoxious, especially since the only way to really progress was to just wander aimlessly over vast areas and hope you found it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think it waa a good way to do tech advancement, valheims dungeon crawling (mostly the finding) loop was just really bad. Tweak their RNG to something sensible and its a much better experience.

(For example: Take a swamp of a given size and calculate how much metal it should have based on the size with some narrow variation. Then spawn at least one crypt and distribute the metal among them. Suddenly if you find a lovely crypt that is balanced out by a huge reward for being persistent, and it means you always get at least something no matter how minimal. Thats introduction to procedural generation level stuff)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 10, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Warrior Princess posted:

You can just turn sticks into wood with 1 blueprint point into the t2 carpentry table. The talent and points expenditure just let's you do it by hand. Absolutely don't waste a talent on it unless you have a desperate need to craft sticks by hand.

Edit: same goes for the leather into rope, don't waste poo poo on it, the textile station has the recipe already by default.

Edit2: it goes without saying that requiring a *talent* point just to unlock a *blueprint option* that you then gave to spend a *blueprint point* on to craft sticks or ropes by hand without a station is the DUMBEST poo poo.

Oh poo poo, that’s super helpful! I realized that about the textile table, which makes the talent point thing even more obnoxious. It’s a glaring flaw that you get limited talents to spend, can’t respec them, and also get entirely useless options to choose with no way to figure it out other than re-rolling.

Edit: also entirely agreed on Valheim’s swamp dungeons. I didn’t mind the crypts since it only took a few and you’re still getting used to the game, but the swamp dungeons are obnoxious given the amount of iron you need and how hard it is to move it around.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

idiotsavant posted:

It’s a glaring flaw that you get limited talents to spend, can’t respec them, and also get entirely useless options to choose with no way to figure it out other than re-rolling.

This is my biggest complaint about the game by *far*, the lack of good information in the UI trees (what comes from where, etc) and the ridiculous lack of respect for player time investment in regards to the talents. No confirm, no respecc, no apply changes/reset button. One misclick and the dev solution is "lmao reroll your character."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Warrior Princess posted:

This is my biggest complaint about the game by *far*, the lack of good information in the UI trees (what comes from where, etc) and the ridiculous lack of respect for player time investment in regards to the talents. No confirm, no respecc, no apply changes/reset button. One misclick and the dev solution is "lmao reroll your character."

My friends and I spent all our space bucks crafting workshop items and trading them around, for example I built 5 canteens for the boys and my buddy made 5 knives and handed them out. Anyway funny story all of that gear got deleted when we beat the first mission because they have a character flag on each item and you are only allowed to bring back your own items.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Drone posted:

Any specific one?

I really like Ashantin 3's playthroughs. They're slow and relaxed and pretty good to chill to.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
A lot of people unaware that Icarus permanently deletes your character if you let any mission you're on expire: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1149460/discussions/0/3195864334798429960/

e: by design, not a bug

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 11, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Lol holy poo poo

edit: also loving all the survival game stans jumping out to defend terrible dev decisions in that thread

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 11, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RandomBlue posted:

A lot of people unaware that Icarus permanently deletes your character if you let any mission you're on expire: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1149460/discussions/0/3195864334798429960/

Wait so you can die all you want but if you go on holiday and forget you're hosed?

Holy lol.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its a player hosted server model, but anyone in your group can resume and host the world. I assume the world time limit is to make this possible by cutting down on storage space for their own hosting?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Salt Fish posted:

My friends and I spent all our space bucks crafting workshop items and trading them around, for example I built 5 canteens for the boys and my buddy made 5 knives and handed them out. Anyway funny story all of that gear got deleted when we beat the first mission because they have a character flag on each item and you are only allowed to bring back your own items.

For a game that supposedly is designed around group play that is dumb as poo poo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

RandomBlue posted:

LMAO that's amazing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The dumbest part is you can go back to the drop ship and abort at any point and you just lose your progress from that mission (and maybe items you brought?) so this is just absurdly stupid to me.

Why wouldn't it just be an auto-abort if a mission expires?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Salt Fish posted:

Honestly everything I've read about this game, even from the people supposedly enjoying it, makes it sound like the absolute stupidest survival game I've ever seen with exactly zero reason to engage with it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I honestly think the jank and early access feel are part of the survival game appeal. I can forgive almost anything if it leads to me laughing at a funny ragdoll or a bear lighting on fire and barging into our thatch house killing my whole team. It takes a lot more than a half assed rogue-lite implementation to undo that fun. I think the whole genre is hard to rate and review because the 'fun' in them is based on a social dynamic that can have a mystery science theater type of appeal where the B-side feel is the point.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
So let me get this straight for mining in vintage story. Once I prospect pick an area and find a metal I want, I should dig straight down exactly where I am, as it's only a random chance that any ore will actually be there?

If so, how far should I dig down before I stop and try a different spot?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Salt Fish posted:

I honestly think the jank and early access feel are part of the survival game appeal. I can forgive almost anything if it leads to me laughing at a funny ragdoll or a bear lighting on fire and barging into our thatch house killing my whole team. It takes a lot more than a half assed rogue-lite implementation to undo that fun.
See, I would think intentionally antagonistic design and permanently deleting your character count as "a lot more" but what do I know?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

Oh poo poo, that’s super helpful! I realized that about the textile table, which makes the talent point thing even more obnoxious. It’s a glaring flaw that you get limited talents to spend, can’t respec them, and also get entirely useless options to choose with no way to figure it out other than re-rolling.

Edit: also entirely agreed on Valheim’s swamp dungeons. I didn’t mind the crypts since it only took a few and you’re still getting used to the game, but the swamp dungeons are obnoxious given the amount of iron you need and how hard it is to move it around.

Valheim is a game where playing co-op was a blessing. Three people swarm the swamp dungeons, one loads the boat and sails it back, and then a few people back home to smelt, cook, build and so forth. It wasn’t all power gaming either, we just had a person who really liked driving the boat and a few people that disliked video game combat. Between that and Raft (where we had a few people who just did not open the journal the whole time) I’m starting to gain new respect for survival games that allow people to opt in or out of mechanics in co-op mode.

That’s one reason why I’m a little worried about 7 Days to Die - usually the building is no problem but blood moons are all hands on deck. Maybe they can just log out and I can stream that portion?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Umbreon posted:

So let me get this straight for mining in vintage story. Once I prospect pick an area and find a metal I want, I should dig straight down exactly where I am, as it's only a random chance that any ore will actually be there?

If so, how far should I dig down before I stop and try a different spot?

Start poking around in a 10--block radius or so, you don't need to dig a vertical shaft. Most common ores come in horizontal-ish veins of a dozen-plus blocks, you won't have to worry about missing copper or iron if it's there. Tin, on the other hand, comes in tiny little clusters and kinda sucks rear end to find

If you see surface nuggets you should have a guaranteed copper vein beneath within the top like five stone levels. If you're using the prospecting pick and haven't turned on node search there's no guarantees, it'll search much farther and give you a probability for the general area. if it gives you high chances dig a staircase like 30 layers deep, cut a little shaft to the side every few levels to make sure you're not right next to it. If you're getting frustrated just move on you're probably not missing anything by that point

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
There's also a toggle in the prospecting pick you can do on the command line that swaps it between a large area search and I believe you can set the cube area in the command, such as "is there or within any five cubes of the one I just broke?" - they work well in tandem