Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

YggiDee posted:

Dragon Warrior IV and Final Fantasy VI were the first RPGs I ever played and they gave me unrealistic expectations ever since.

That's a hell of a jumping-off point, drat. What's the story behind those? Like, what led you to choose to play those specifically over other games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm still waiting for an announcement of the replacement composer

Because sugiyama is loving dead :sickos:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ofecks posted:

That's a hell of a jumping-off point, drat. What's the story behind those? Like, what led you to choose to play those specifically over other games?

I assume my older brother chose Dragon Warrior, because I was, like, four and wasn't asked on the matter. As for Final Fantasy, my grandmother was a huge nerd so when we visited my grandparents in the summer Grandad would take us fishing and carve wooden masks and set up elaborate ponds for frogs and critters, while Granny set up her fancy Super Nintendo with her Squaresoft games and Prima guides and annotated Zelda maps.

Basically the RPG life was chosen for me

Edit: I probably played other RPGs but I mostly don't remember poo poo from when I was that young. Also we had, like, Mega Man and Mario and poo poo but I've never had the reflexes for those.

Mom also used to play video games but three kids (one disabled) and a full-time job took priority over Zelda.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shugojin posted:

How I sleep at night knowing Sugiyama is dead

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Shugojin posted:

I wonder if this is why some of the games are delayed? Maybe S-E is still trying to license the rights for upcoming releases?

The Infinity Strash web site still mentions a 2021 release, but not a peep since earlier this year.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Stupid question but do the Spear/Armor/Sword displays ever contain any items? I've been checking every single object in DQVII and I'm not sure if it's a complete waste of time or just a typical waste of time checking them all for items/mini medals.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

What gear is male-only, something added to the remakes?

DQ3's SFC remake also had a much more powerful/stat-gaining personality that female characters could start with as well.

It's remake only equipment yeah, Boxer shorts and Dandy Suit are male only. I think if you get the Dandy Suit at the earliest possible moment, it's the best armor for a couple of classes for a short period of time early/midgame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Stupid question but do the Spear/Armor/Sword displays ever contain any items? I've been checking every single object in DQVII and I'm not sure if it's a complete waste of time or just a typical waste of time checking them all for items/mini medals.

Not that I can recall.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

IIRC you should only look in barrels/pots, drawers, closets/cupboards, and the little hanging sacks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Quick DQ11 question: I'm at Yggdrasil, and is there any missable content? I'm assuming once I actually reach the tree, Important Plot Events will happen and change things.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Not permanently, no, but you might want to finish up any side quests you've been putting off anyways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You'll get a chance to do everything, but some of those chances will be unavailable for a good long while.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
There was a chance to duplicate items before you set on the path but I don't think it's anything critical overall.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Since Sylvando can turn weapons into bread, he truly is Gay Jesus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Can I get a gamer hell yeah

https://twitter.com/sackchief/status/1479260595996221440?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sorry

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1479465258146222086?t=tHJAof6jvED-OcBN-cw8AA&s=19

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I don't know if this is more appropriate to this thread or to the Simpsons meme thread but I just reached That Part of XI and:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

drat...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Starting my first playthrough of DQ V. Using the mobile port cause I heard it was solid

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Starting my first playthrough of DQ V. Using the mobile port cause I heard it was solid

15 bucks is a bit steep, but also those graphics just make me want DQBuilders 3.

Though actually now that I have a halfway decent PC I’m tempted to get DQB2 on PC, since just a little bit of building on the Switch makes the game run like molasses.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Saxophone posted:

15 bucks is a bit steep, but also those graphics just make me want DQBuilders 3.

Though actually now that I have a halfway decent PC I’m tempted to get DQB2 on PC, since just a little bit of building on the Switch makes the game run like molasses.

Game's definitely worth $15 if you can swing it. V's a masterpiece.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I can, in fact, swing 15 bucks and now I’m tempted.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"Airsoft"? They're going to give the characters guns.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

slimes with ak-47s hell yeah

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"Airsoft"? They're going to give the characters guns.

*Pop pop pop*

Veronica wins again!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Veronica: Eternal would get a pre-order out of me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Code: Veronica

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the ideal skill tree setup for the characters? I know the Luminary can dump absurd damage with greatswords later in the game but what was the general recommendation for the other characters in 11?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's been a long time since I played so I don't have much specific build advice, but I just want to note that respeccing is super easy in DQXI, so don't stress too much about where you put your skill points. You can reset them at any save statue for really cheap, and what's best for each character tends to change at different stages of the game. By the postgame you can unlock almost every skill for every character just through leveling.

I can say that at endgame/postgame my strongest damage-dealers were the Luminary with a greatsword and Eric dual-wielding swords, though in the earlier game, I got more mileage out of Eric with a dagger using (and exploiting) status effects. One character of note is Sylvando: his lower skill tree (Showmanship, I think) is really, really good and can give him some great healing and Charm-scaling damage.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The only build mistake I can think of is not beelining Hustle Dance ASAP for Sylvando early. It’s the only healing spell you need for act one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I must say the English team gets much fancier with the villain titles then Japan does. They seen reluctant to just use the same title again.

English Japanese
DQ1 Dragonlord
DQ2 Master of Destruction Malroth
DQ3 Archfiend Baramos and Master Archfiend Zoma
DQ4 Psaro the Manslayer and Estark Lord of the Underworld
DQ5 Grandmaster Nimzo
DQ6 Dread Fiend Murdaw and Archfiend Mortamor
DQ7 Orgodemir the Demon King
DQ8 Lord of Darkness Rhapthrone
DQ11 Mordegon Lord of Shadows

Japanese
DQ1 Ryūō (King Dragon)
DQ2 Hakaishin Sidoh (God of Destruction Sidoh)
DQ3 Maou Baramos (Demon King Baramos) and Daimaou Zoma (Great Demon King Zoma)
DQ4 Maou Pisaro (Demon King Pisaro) and Estark Jigoku no Teiō (Estark Emperor of Hell)
DQ5 Daimou Mildrath (Great Demon King Mildrath)
DQ6 Mao Mudou (Demon King Mudou) and Daimao Deathtamoor (Great Demon King Deathtamoor)
DQ7 Daimao or Tenmao Orugo Demira (Great Demon King or Heavenly Demon King Orugo Demira)
DQ8 Ankoku-shin Rapusōn (God of Darkness Rapusōn)
DQ11 Mao Urunōga (Demon King Urunōga)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 11, 2022

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jazerus posted:

slimes with ak-47s hell yeah

Did you mean Goozis?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Did you mean Goozis?

Proud to be a Slimerican

E: wait, poo poo

Proud goo be a Slimerican

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 12, 2022

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I just beat 7 after about 110 hours

That game was great, the script ruled (PlayStation version), the battles were super easy (beat final boss at level 38(not super boss though)), not going to do the bonus dungeons. 8/10 Would not recommended to any person I know but if you read this thread it's a solid entry to kill a couple months with

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So what do the Tickington quests reward? Because I can't say I'm a big fan of playing slow as molasses classic rear end Dragon Warrior

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Calaveron posted:

So what do the Tickington quests reward? Because I can't say I'm a big fan of playing slow as molasses classic rear end Dragon Warrior

I think each one rewards a unique item item with some pretty powerful effects, like casting Oomphle for free or reducing the magic damage the party takes. They aren't necessary to finish the game by any stretch, I did the first one and stopped and I don't even remember what the reward was, but they can be helpful for sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, I wish it was animated sprites DS Dq5 instead of the DW version.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

serefin99 posted:

I think each one rewards a unique item item with some pretty powerful effects, like casting Oomphle for free or reducing the magic damage the party takes. They aren't necessary to finish the game by any stretch, I did the first one and stopped and I don't even remember what the reward was, but they can be helpful for sure.

Those all sound like real useful things to have but oh geez I don't have it in me to trundle through "charming" ancient RPG game design.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're not replicating the design of the original games, just the layout of some areas. One of the three destinations in each book will have a short dungeon with a boss fight at the end, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the encounter rate is ridiculous though and you want to use Safe Passage like your life depends on it.