Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

site posted:

what exactly have they been doing for a whole month. her hair is perfect, she has no marks on her, her dress is perfect. were they keeping her in a nice room with a closet, and bathroom stocked with makeup the whole time

Making sure she was dressed in the most stereotypical 60s outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

site posted:

what exactly have they been doing for a whole month. her hair is perfect, she has no marks on her, her dress is perfect. were they keeping her in a nice room with a closet, and bathroom stocked with makeup the whole time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Only in the old '80s TV show and Marvel continuities. In the first IDW series, they're separate characters.

Hell, isn't it complicated in the Marvel comics as well? LIke he's Megatron from an alternate timeline's future, like he's Cable or something?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, isn't it complicated in the Marvel comics as well? LIke he's Megatron from an alternate timeline's future, like he's Cable or something?

Yes, the comics didn't do the events of the movie or the 20-year time skip, so Megatron and Optimus were still around even when the cartoon had Galvatron and Rodimus, but the comics did introduce multiple time-traveling Galvatrons from the future (one of whom only appeared in the British comics, which were sort of published around the American comics), so it was possible for Megatron and Galvatron to meet.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Push El Burrito posted:

Dang Storm. That whole hair situation seems detrimental in a fight.

It's where she keeps her spare knives.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Gaz-L posted:

In Marvel there's Megatron, and a Megatron clone who thinks that he's Megatron but is really Straxus.

Galvatron 1 was made by Unicron (probably) from the clone.

Galvatron 2 was brought over from another universe where Unicron won, he was probably made from Megatron

Galvatron 1 never appeared in the US comics, he was entirely a UK comics character.

In IDW Galvatron was an ancient Transformer who got stuck in a Zombie universe for millennia, then came back to life. He's Arcee's twin brother.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BooDooBoo posted:

In IDW Galvatron was an ancient Transformer who got stuck in a Zombie universe for millennia, then came back to life. He's Arcee's twin brother.

Reposting a badass panel

Phy posted:

Livio Ramondelli has an... idiosyncratic way with his lineart, but I always liked his coloring.

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #34

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

What was that really good Transformers run again, where Megatron flips sides and I half remember something involving a spaceship? Loads of sad robot moments.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rhaka posted:

What was that really good Transformers run again, where Megatron flips sides and I half remember something involving a spaceship? Loads of sad robot moments.

That's the arc after that in IDW continuity. After the war on Cybertron, the book splits into Megatron Space Goofball Feels Trip (More Than Meets The Eye) and Starscream v. Bumblebee Politicking on Cybertron (Robots in Disguise).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Infinitum posted:

Making sure she was dressed in the most stereotypical 60s outfit

That's how she dressed in that period, I could have sworn I saw an old cover or panel with her in that exat outfit, but I haven't found a perfect match, but a lot of them are very similar.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Toshimo posted:

That's the arc after that in IDW continuity. After the war on Cybertron, the book splits into Megatron Space Goofball Feels Trip (More Than Meets The Eye) and Starscream v. Bumblebee Politicking on Cybertron (Robots in Disguise).

Neat. I don't really know Transformers, but saw some shares of scenes from this and have been meaning to check it out. Are these decent jumping-on points or will I end up completely lost?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
More Than Meets The Eye 1 is as good a place as any*, as it was intended to be an onboarding point for new readers after some major shakeups to the setting, like the end of the millions-of-years Great Cybertron War. MTMTE is the Random Autobots (and eventually Megatron) Having Space Adventures series, Robots in Disguise is the Cybertronian Politicking series. (Not to be confused with the Robots in Disguise anime dub from 2000,or the Robots in Disguise CGI cartoon from the mid 2010s.) The two comics do cross over at several points.

*You could preface it with a standalone called The Death Of Optimus Prime. It's really "The Death of 'Optimus Prime' ", because it's about the truck robot guy walking away from the responsibility of that name for a while, in the wake of the end of the civilization-defining war.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Although one mild thing with More Than Meets The Eye, Megatron doesn't show up for Reasons until a little ways into the book. Still good and you should read the whole thing, though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BooDooBoo posted:

In Marvel there's Megatron, and a Megatron clone who thinks that he's Megatron but is really Straxus.

Galvatron 1 was made by Unicron (probably) from the clone.

Galvatron 2 was brought over from another universe where Unicron won, he was probably made from Megatron

Galvatron 1 never appeared in the US comics, he was entirely a UK comics character.

So from memory, the very first comic appearance of UK Galvatron was in the UK Transformers comic in a story arc called “Target: 2006!”

It’s set in the (then) present of the Transformers universe in Earth in the 1980’s.
Three transformers vanish and Galvatron, Scourge and Cyclonus show up*.

They have come from the universe in the middle of Transformers the Movie. Essentially in the middle of the film when Unicron sets Galvatron to find the Matrix he takes out a time machine and goes back in time with his two best buddies. Their plan is to beat up Megatron, encase him in rocks (since they can’t kill him) and build a giant laser on Earth, so Galvatron can blow up Unicron in the present day.

I think the ending was Blur and Ultra Magnus (and some other Autobots also from the middle of Transformers the movie) show up fight the Decepticons and convince them that their plan is doomed to failure because they have gone into an alternative time line and not back in time, and what they do here won’t defeat Unicron in the future. This may have been a lie but it did trick Galvatron into leaving.

In a sequel story years later Galvatron (after he was defeated and thrown out of Unicrons head at the end of Transformers the movie) remembers he still has his time machine. He goes back to the 80’s to team up with Megatron. It ends up going very Timecop with the idea that the same two people being in the same place results in lots of very bad things happening with time.
Galvatron in the UK comics was portrayed as this super, monstrous mega heel who wrecked transformers. It was great.

* = Basically how Time travel worked in the Simon Fermen stories was if you went back in time, to conserve mass, someone of roughly equal size had to get shunted into Limbo while you were in the past. This was really bad for one transformer (Skids, I think?) who got stuck in limbo for months while one time traveler stayed in the past for ages.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

So from memory, the very first comic appearance of UK Galvatron was in the UK Transformers comic in a story arc called “Target: 2006!”

It’s set in the (then) present of the Transformers universe in Earth in the 1980’s.
Three transformers vanish and Galvatron, Scourge and Cyclonus show up*.

They have come from the universe in the middle of Transformers the Movie. Essentially in the middle of the film when Unicron sets Galvatron to find the Matrix he takes out a time machine and goes back in time with his two best buddies. Their plan is to beat up Megatron, encase him in rocks (since they can’t kill him) and build a giant laser on Earth, so Galvatron can blow up Unicron in the present day.

I think the ending was Blur and Ultra Magnus (and some other Autobots also from the middle of Transformers the movie) show up fight the Decepticons and convince them that their plan is doomed to failure because they have gone into an alternative time line and not back in time, and what they do here won’t defeat Unicron in the future. This may have been a lie but it did trick Galvatron into leaving.

In a sequel story years later Galvatron (after he was defeated and thrown out of Unicrons head at the end of Transformers the movie) remembers he still has his time machine. He goes back to the 80’s to team up with Megatron. It ends up going very Timecop with the idea that the same two people being in the same place results in lots of very bad things happening with time.
Galvatron in the UK comics was portrayed as this super, monstrous mega heel who wrecked transformers. It was great.

* = Basically how Time travel worked in the Simon Fermen stories was if you went back in time, to conserve mass, someone of roughly equal size had to get shunted into Limbo while you were in the past. This was really bad for one transformer (Skids, I think?) who got stuck in limbo for months while one time traveler stayed in the past for ages.

TFUK ran on rough 50 issue cycles, you'd get 1 big event story a year, Target: 2006 was the first, and Time Wars was the last, there was a LOT of Galvatron in between, Simon Furman liked him a lot so he was always lurking around.

The American stories were not as good as the UK ones, and they were just small scale and generic, so a good run of the UK stories was always a treat, but it also had to loop in to the US stories and fill in a lot of cracks as it went along.

It did explain how Cyclonus and Scourge were Targetmasters though, and used that to lead into Time Wars.

in conclusion, the UK transformers comics are great, and Marvel knew it, which is why the UK creative team got the US comic at the end of it's run.

*Yes it was Skids, and he was stuck in the Limbo/Hell dimension for at least a few years, the UK comic was roughly real-time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The first IDW run is absolutely the best that Transformers has ever been, with some genuinely interesting sci-fi thrown into the mix.

It also absolutely demands that you find a fan-created reading order and follow it, because it's split up among what's got to be close to four dozen series, miniseries, one-shots, and relaunches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

The first IDW run is absolutely the best that Transformers has ever been, with some genuinely interesting sci-fi thrown into the mix.

It also absolutely demands that you find a fan-created reading order and follow it, because it's split up among what's got to be close to four dozen series, miniseries, one-shots, and relaunches.

You can also just get the IDW Collection volumes which does that all for you. Phase 2 is technically the run most people are thinking of.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

You can also just get the IDW Collection volumes which does that all for you. Phase 2 is technically the run most people are thinking of.

The Hardback collections are great, they put all the books in a (mostly correct) order, and yes Phase 2 is the best part.

Soft-back trades are the way to go if you only want to follow one thread, the MTMTE/Lost Light run is mostly self contained, Death Of Optimus Prime is included in the first volume, Dark Cybertron is the only big crossover that really matters and that's 1 book, the Combiner Wars crossover barely had an impact other than a couple of characters leaving for a bit.

If you read all of the books though you do get some lovely little things that crossover, Prowl's actions in early Robots In Disguise issues are partially explained in MTMTE for example, and it's 100% worth reading both streams.

If you want to see if you'll like this stuff, try The Last Stand Of The Wreckers, it's a stand-alone Dirty Dozen type story, and it's pretty amazing...

If you're planning on reading MTMTE, you could do worse than to start with a bit of the old Wreck And Rule!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looks like Brawns blasting off again!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Looks like Brawns blasting off again!

That's Guzzle, The Wreckers don't tend to get well-known characters, other than Springer.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
iirc they needed a bunch of obscure characters that weren't being used in the main arc at the time, hence why the main villain is Overlord and the new Wreckers are Pyro, Ironfist, Guzzle and Rotorstorm

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

iirc they needed a bunch of obscure characters that weren't being used in the main arc at the time, hence why the main villain is Overlord and the new Wreckers are Pyro, Ironfist, Guzzle and Rotorstorm

The Wreckers were a Marvel UK idea, a place for the C-list characters to be used. Roadbuster and Whirl were members, and those toys were never even mentioned in the UK, let alone released.

The use of lesser-known characters is entirely thematically correct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BooDooBoo posted:

That's Guzzle, The Wreckers don't tend to get well-known characters, other than Springer.

It took ages to get an Impactor figure.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It took ages to get an Impactor figure.

You wait 30 years for 1, and 3 come along at once

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Inkling Alice

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Geiger, Issue 6

Geiger self-immolates in a nuclear explosion to avenge his family.

I really liked Geiger.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Is that a coyote with two heads?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a two-headed wolf named barney

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm sure this has been posted before, possibly many times, but I just read this the other day. The first bold appearance of Lockheed! I was just reading the Brood saga, as you do, turned the page...

That is beautiful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Actually do not think that page has graced this thread before

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Geiger, Issue 6

Geiger self-immolates in a nuclear explosion to avenge his family.

I really liked Geiger.

Read this after seeing this post and yeah Geiger was fun as hell. I really enjoyed the volume and looks like there’s an annual of sorts coming out soon. Looking forward to it.

Also, I have a small badass related request. There was a few panels posted here sometime a while ago about a comic set in modern times about Arthurian legends, I think? I remember an older woman chilling outside when some crows land by her and do evil spooky poo poo. She sings an old tune and shoot some of the birds to leave two (which would give be a good omen for her). So in return, one of the birds kills the other, leaving just one (a bad omen). This rings a bell to anyone?

EDIT: Oh im an idiot I forgot there’s actual search within the thread and “Arthurian” did the trick

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are we still talking about King Arthur, because everyone should be reading Once and Future, which is mainly about how the old tales are far more horrible than we tell them.

There's also a sequence where a bunch of Britain First style racists get killed by zombie King Arthur for being Anglo-Saxons instead of true Celts

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 21, 2022

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also, I have a small badass related request. There was a few panels posted here sometime a while ago about a comic set in modern times about Arthurian legends, I think? I remember an older woman chilling outside when some crows land by her and do evil spooky poo poo. She sings an old tune and shoot some of the birds to leave two (which would give be a good omen for her). So in return, one of the birds kills the other, leaving just one (a bad omen). This rings a bell to anyone?

I got turned on to Once and Future thanks to this thread, and man is it ever good. Metafictional Gillen is the best Gillen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I got turned on to Once and Future thanks to this thread, and man is it ever good. Metafictional Gillen is the best Gillen.

I finished the first volume this weekend and it was indeed really loving cool and good. I love the whole concept of stories being what we’re told and what we believe and how can people be molded to the roles they need to be.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dandadan - Chapter 43

Don't really need to know setup other than the guy with the teeth is the hero.

The last page :swoon:

What a great manga.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Golden Kamuy

The protagonists' faction are fighting with the antagonists on a train. Right now, a man who goes by the completely normal nickname Ushiyama the Undefeated is tearing through literally dozens of soldiers with his bare hands. (He's a Judo master.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mashle: Muscles and Magic

Mash, the protagonist, has zero magic, in a world where magic power is everything. But, on the other hand, he works out a lot!

He's currently fighting the most powerful enemy he's faced until now. The enemy charges up a super big spell and goes, "This is my strongest magic! It's over!"

(Read right to left.)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Eternals: The Heretic
Thanos has become leader of the Eternals, and as part of a side-story, meets his grand-uncle Uranos, who had also tried to kill the universe. This is his introduction.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, I liked that intro. It could have easily been a cheesy, "See? He's TWICE as bad as Thanos!", but I thought the did a good job defining his motivation and making him more of a manipulator.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He also looks a lot like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a weird thing, but unless his granduncle raised Thanos, he isn't allowed to be dissapointed in Thanos. You can only be dissapointed in friends and close relatives. Someone absent your entire life showing up and saying "You're a disappointment" is like when I say I'm disappointed in a celebrity I liked that gets Me Tooed or me saying it about a pro athlete who does worse than they usually do. If he expected better from Thanos maybe he should have offered him some guidance at any point in time