Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

my tomatos are the most chill motherfuckers on the planet bitches

ilovebeersooomuch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

my tomatos are the most chill motherfuckers on the planet bitches

sorry to hear about your flavorless tomatoes

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
tomorrow will be 2 months sober and last night i had a dream i drank like an embarrassing amount of beer and even in my dream i felt embarrassed and shameful rather than prideful like i would've when i loved getting hosed up.

good sign i think

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

its_my_birthday posted:

tomorrow will be 2 months sober and last night i had a dream i drank like an embarrassing amount of beer and even in my dream i felt embarrassed and shameful rather than prideful like i would've when i loved getting hosed up.

good sign i think

good job buddy I'm proud of you (not a joke)

it makes it even better that you hit this milestone on your birthday (joke)

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I always knew that there was a congressman in The 1000 Page Thread. Nice to have photographic confirmation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I always knew that there was a congressman in The 1000 Page Thread. Nice to have photographic confirmation.

I am the senate.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

good job buddy I'm proud of you (not a joke)

it makes it even better that you hit this milestone on your birthday (joke)

thank you!

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I genuinely wonder how many rich and influential people have, at some point in their lives, created accounts here. People on Fight Island found the niche forum accounts of a 30-something billionaire who owns a wrestling company- I wouldn't be shocked if there were actual powerful politicians who made an account here fifteen years ago or so (and later forgot about it).

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
BLT talk is gonna get me checking if the tomatoes and lettuce i bought a week plus ago are still good or a moldy pile of sadness

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!

Derpies posted:

BLT talk is gonna get me checking if the tomatoes and lettuce i bought a week plus ago are still good or a moldy pile of sadness

if theyve gone bad you can throw them at vaudeville performers who arent entertaining enough, perhaps leading to them getting yanked offstage by a large hook

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Puppy Doll posted:

I genuinely wonder how many rich and influential people have, at some point in their lives, created accounts here. People on Fight Island found the niche forum accounts of a 30-something billionaire who owns a wrestling company- I wouldn't be shocked if there were actual powerful politicians who made an account here fifteen years ago or so (and later forgot about it).

Even odds that Lauren Boebert is one of the posters permabanned from TFR.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

its_my_birthday posted:

good sign i think

Keep it up! :)

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

its_my_birthday posted:

good sign i think

Congratulations though. This is great news and we’re happy to celebrate it with you here, in The 1000 Page thread.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Puppy Doll posted:

if theyve gone bad you can throw them at vaudeville performers who arent entertaining enough, perhaps leading to them getting yanked offstage by a large hook

ah so the same thing that happens to me about halfway through explaining the waistband trick

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Derpies posted:

ah so the same thing that happens to me about halfway through explaining the waistband trick

:vince:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

its_my_birthday posted:

good sign i think

Good work!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The 1000 Days of Sobriety Thread

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
How’s Carl? We need more Carl updates.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fartknocker posted:

How’s Carl? We need more Carl updates.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

its_my_birthday posted:

good sign i think

Nice!

Not nearly on the same level but I haven't had any caffeine for the last week. Normally I require large amounts of caffeine just to function but I've been sick and had to go on a bland diet with no caffeine and I'm doing ok.

Think I'm going to continue without caffeine once I'm better.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Another day, another "look at the snow and statues" - post.

This is The Monolith, arguably the centerpiece:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Also, these are kind of specific to certain times and places: Temporary gravel dispensers.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Computer viking posted:

freaking incredible

<mom's dildo joke>

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Also, these are kind of specific to certain times and places: Temporary gravel dispensers.

I've never seen temporary gravel before! How does that work, you gravel is placed in the roadway and after a certain time it disappears? :dadjoke:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

hell yeah dude, how did you guys get such rad statues

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Computer viking posted:

The only kind of orgy I'd want to be apart of

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

MakaVillian posted:

The only kind of orgy I'd want to be apart of

you're not invited :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

The Aristocrats!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I've never seen temporary gravel before! How does that work, you gravel is placed in the roadway and after a certain time it disappears? :dadjoke:

It's actually made out of compressed time, which gives your tires more time to grip the ice.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

you're not invited :colbert:

How rude

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bagmonkey posted:

A single madman with a vision, and a young city that wanted a memorable park. :)

Roughly: After the semi-independence from Denmark in 1814 (which took us directly into a looser union with Sweden), Oslo grew very quickly, especially from 1880 or so. One of the fashionable villa/farmhouses just outside kept its formal gardens, but sold off the farmlands for development. The city bought the villa and gardens, plus a bunch of surrounding land, and made a decently large park, mostly grass with the formal garden in a corner. It proved useful for exhibitions and picnics.

While this was going on, Gustav Vigeland became somewhat famous as a sculptor. Not long after the independence from Sweden (in 1905), he sketched a monumental fountain he thought would fit nicely in front of Parliament. The city dwelled on that for a bit, and wasn't sure if they wanted to dedicate that space to a huge fountain - and while they deliberated, he kept expanding the project with surrounding statue groups and monuments. After a while the city decided to go all in on his idea, and built a studio for him, conditional on it becoming a museum after his death; they also let him design a whole formal art installation inside the somewhat under-utilized park they had. He went a bit overboard, and there's some 230 statues there, plus the neat sculptural forged iron gates and fences.

He started drawing the first ideas around 1900, and died with it mostly finished in 1943 (during the occupation - the Germans basically left him to his work).

This place: https://goo.gl/maps/nL5P4vdKiJop8cbb9

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 9, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Carl Pupdate:

Our li’l buddy experienced snow for the first time this morning! I didn’t grab any pics because it was 6 am but he had a blast. Tarkus even played with him for a few minutes. We’ve been working on some basic training and he went all day today without an accident inside. He figured out the basement stairs finally so every night we run him up and down a few times to tucker him out before bed.

I’ve been really busy with appointments and doing stuff around the house so I haven’t been getting too many pics (also didn’t want to spam the thread). I’ll try to get some outside shots during play time tomorrow!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
carl? spam?? CARL???

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite statue

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

:redass:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Computer viking posted:

This is a great picture and a great story Cv, thank you for sharing with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

A single madman with a vision, and a young city that wanted a memorable park. :)

Roughly: After the semi-independence from Denmark in 1814 (which took us directly into a looser union with Sweden), Oslo grew very quickly, especially from 1880 or so. One of the fashionable villa/farmhouses just outside kept its formal gardens, but sold off the farmlands for development. The city bought the villa and gardens, plus a bunch of surrounding land, and made a decently large park, mostly grass with the formal garden in a corner. It proved useful for exhibitions and picnics.

While this was going on, Gustav Vigeland became somewhat famous as a sculptor. Not long after the independence from Sweden (in 1905), he sketched a monumental fountain he thought would fit nicely in front of Parliament. The city dwelled on that for a bit, and wasn't sure if they wanted to dedicate that space to a huge fountain - and while they deliberated, he kept expanding the project with surrounding statue groups and monuments. After a while the city decided to go all in on his idea, and built a studio for him, conditional on it becoming a museum after his death; they also let him design a whole formal art installation inside the somewhat under-utilized park they had. He went a bit overboard, and there's some 230 statues there, plus the neat sculptural forged iron gates and fences.

He started drawing the first ideas around 1900, and died with it mostly finished in 1943 (during the occupation - the Germans basically left him to his work).

This place: https://goo.gl/maps/nL5P4vdKiJop8cbb9

Thanks dude! That was a really informative write up. The Detroit area has a disturbing lack of cool statues, it's slowly getting better. We still don't have that fuckin' Robocop tho