Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bape Culture posted:

I don’t know who’s joking any more I hate electric!!!!!!

electric motors are fantastic, pity about the whole batteries thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

dk2m posted:

It is really weird for me to admit that a 1000hp car is genuinely unlikeable but Tesla managed it. I do agree that it is way too fast - I doubt I could drive that thing well, let alone someone who has never triggered their ABS before

This.
Seriously the idea of a 1000hp car I could own should excite me, and yet the Tesla S Plaid doesnt. At all.
If I honestly had money to be shopping in that price range Id be looking at a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Heres what C&D said about the Plaid at high speeds:

quote:

But, trust us, you don't want to do 200 mph in this car. Even 162 mph was terrifying, wandering and nervous to the point that we were concerned about our ability to shepherd it between lane lines. The steering doesn't firm up enough with speed, making the task more difficult. At similar velocities, a Taycan is resolutely stable. Another reason to fear a 200-mph speed is brakes that got soft during our testing. Although our braking regimen isn't nearly as severe as what a racetrack demands, a warning message reporting the brakes' demise popped up on the dash. Between the flappability at high speeds and the iffy brakes, our helmets are way off to former FIA GT racing driver Andreas Simonsen, who piloted the Plaid to what must have been a harrowing 7:35 Nürburgring lap.

There’s also a number of posts on the TMC forums about the brake warning coming on after a single lap or a couple of drag runs.

It’s one thing for a production car not to be a track ready weapon, it’s quite another for a 1000hp, 150k car that’s touted as the fastest production car ever to not even make it through an entire lap before the brakes give up, and for it to be dangerously unstable at 75% of its advertised top speed (which it cannot reach).

If you spend 150k on a BMW or a Porsche or a Mercedes the brakes may not be good enough to race, but they can handle an occasional track day without giving up after a few minutes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

tbh building teslas to accelerate absurdly quickly in a straight line was a brilliant bit of salesmanship since it's both the only thing they're actually good at and a tremendous selling point that sticks in people's minds; nobody would give a poo poo about teslas if they weren't ~*omg so fast*~

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
.....just watch that Taycan Turbo S test drive with Matt Farah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONuaO9KzxQ&t=306s

STOP IT Siri !

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 9, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

tbh building teslas to accelerate absurdly quickly in a straight line was a brilliant bit of salesmanship since it's both the only thing they're actually good at and a tremendous selling point that sticks in people's minds; nobody would give a poo poo about teslas if they weren't ~*omg so fast*~

Not the ONLY thing.

https://i.imgur.com/OXWRwZt.mp4

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I'm the A4 getting the gently caress outta the way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Even the most forgiving poster in AI shits on Tesla when it's called for.

Who’s that?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

The question I have about the Tesla's lovely brakes is why those nerds don't put some special software on it to keep the car limited to speeds within the present confines of the braking system. Like this:

if (madeHighVelocityStopInLastTenMinutes == true) {
limitSpeed = true
}

or

if (brakesAreHot == true) {
limitSpeed = true
}

or better yet

if (gps.inResidential == true) {
maxSpeed = 25
}

Easy now they've yet to figure out exterior lighting should be on when the wipers are on despite both being software controlled devices and legislation stating such.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

Easy now they've yet to figure out exterior lighting should be on when the wipers are on despite both being software controlled devices and legislation stating such.

There will be dark gray cars driving in rain so heavy there's zero visibility without their lights on until the heat death of the universe.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ford keeps sending me little gifts for my Bronco reservation taking so long. First was a camping type hammock. Second was a nylon Bronco flag like you’d hang in your garage. Now this little calendar.

I think my reservation has been poached by the Ford dealer but I need to stop in and at least yell at them about it.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

There seems to be a lot of recent bad press about the Plaid's brakes. How close are we to some tweets from Musk telling everyone that journalists and professional drivers are wrong? Or announcing a new more expensive brake option which arent available yet, but if they were, would make those people wrong?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

Lol @tesla who by law have to put a physical hazard light button. If it was up to them it would be gesture controlled or some poo poo.

if they could, it would be for the occupants to use say a phrase in uWu voice

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

There seems to be a lot of recent bad press about the Plaid's brakes. How close are we to some tweets from Musk telling everyone that journalists and professional drivers are wrong? Or announcing a new more expensive brake option which arent available yet, but if they were, would make those people wrong?

Someone mentioned a page or two back that carbon ceramic option coming "next year".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Franco Caution posted:

Russian Bear posted:

Someone mentioned a page or two back that carbon ceramic option coming "next year".
$20,000

Expected “mid-2022”

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s-plaid-carbon-ceramic-brake-kit

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

As someone who doesn't know that much about them, isn't that really expensive?
I could have sworn Z07 package on corvettes was like a $7500 option. And aren't they like less than $10k on porsche?
I just remember they are loving expensive to replace when they wear out, but didn't also think it was a 20k buy in.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea; Carbon Ceramics are a $10K option on a 911 GT3 lol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Franco Caution posted:

As someone who doesn't know that much about them, isn't that really expensive?
I could have sworn Z07 package on corvettes was like a $7500 option. And aren't they like less than $10k on porsche?
I just remember they are loving expensive to replace when they wear out, but didn't also think it was a 20k buy in.

10k option yes, but the replacement cost for pads/rotors is something like 25k.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Aren't carbon ceramics actually a good idea for fancy regular street cars that you won't track? If you're leasing an expensive vehicle for 3 years, you probably won't wear anything out in that time. Let the next schmuck deal with replacement.

If you actually plan to use it on track, you will probably be replacing often so steel is the way to go.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"I won't replace them during the lease period" still doesn't seem like a good reason to roll them into the cost of your lease though? If you're not doing 'real' performance driving then what's the point of getting them at all, other than increasing the size of your epeen

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Russian Bear posted:

Aren't carbon ceramics actually a good idea for fancy regular street cars that you won't track? If you're leasing an expensive vehicle for 3 years, you probably won't wear anything out in that time. Let the next schmuck deal with replacement.

If you actually plan to use it on track, you will probably be replacing often so steel is the way to go.

I was under the impression that carbon ceramics perform best (or at all) only when they get heated up so using them to tootle round town is likely to leave you with a brake pedal that doesn't do much when you press it.

And if you're tracking a car surely you'd want the best possible brake performance rather than some that might fade on you at some point?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Sab669 posted:

"I won't replace them during the lease period" still doesn't seem like a good reason to roll them into the cost of your lease though? If you're not doing 'real' performance driving then what's the point of getting them at all, other than increasing the size of your epeen

Uh, the most important reason of any car option: they look cool.

Also, they don't get rusty while the car is sitting on a motorized lazy Susan in your masturbatory garage.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was under the impression that carbon ceramics perform best (or at all) only when they get heated up so using them to tootle round town is likely to leave you with a brake pedal that doesn't do much when you press it.

And if you're tracking a car surely you'd want the best possible brake performance rather than some that might fade on you at some point?

Carbon ceramics perform just fine in normal driving. Otherwise they wouldn't be a luxury option on sub 100k porsche SUVs.

If you're super rich and don't care about 20 to 30k in consumables... maybe. But for most folks upgraded steel brakes with new lines (AP racing etc) are the go to I'm guessing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If manufacturers only sold what was most practical then we wouldn't live in Touch Screen Hell for the last ~5 years

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

touchscreens are extremely practical for the company's bottom line

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah. My pal took them off his GT3s for some AP pro5000s. They don’t heat cycle well and you’ll get through them quickly as hell. They’re good on road cars as no dust and last absolutely ages.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRUvz1QPueA&t=72s

I think a lotta people ITT don't like Doug but he got to check out a Lucid Air, so :hellyeah:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah carbon ceramics are pretty optimal if you're just taking the car to cars and coffee. Price wise they're pretty lovely if you actually track your car, although apparently Surface Transform makes replacements that are reasonably priced/can be refinished.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Sab669 posted:

I think a lotta people ITT don't like Doug but he got to check out a Lucid Air, so :hellyeah:

I cant even imagine how much cost or the wait time that would be involved for that gigantic front glass roof panel to get fixed.

I love the whole Reverse Camera on one screen, 360 Camera on the other screen thing though.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s so sexy. The proportions are wonderful and it doesn’t have the plonked on 8” too high electric look. I want one

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

touchscreens are extremely practical for the company's bottom line

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Might have been true several years ago but not anymore. IMO they are the perfect solution for the vast majority of Ferraris and Lamborghinis and other exotics that will never see significant mileage, let alone track time

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sab669 posted:

The base model on their website doesn't give the option to add AWD despite saying it's available

Edit: also needs better colors on the non limited edition models

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I designed one of the parts he did a mini-segment on.

It's a really cool car and the company itself is lightyears better than Tesla to work with.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 10, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jymmybob posted:

It's a really cool car and the company itself is lightyears better than Tesla to work with.

Can you talk more about some of the supplier issues working with Tesla?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

If I could hazard a guess, the perpetual fear of being called a pedophile on Twitter?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
my guess is 180 days to get paid

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

Oooo, would love to hear more if you’re able to say anything

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you spend 150k on a BMW or a Porsche or a Mercedes the brakes may not be good enough to race, but they can handle an occasional track day without giving up after a few minutes.

In the case of Porsche at least, their brake durability testing is absolutely brutal; their vehicles need to be able to do 25 stops in a row from 80 percent of the vehicle's rated top speed to 90 km/h, with every fifth stop being in full ABS, and with the car able to maintain at least 0.8g of braking deceleration. This isn't just a test either that the 911 GT3 has to pass and that's it; every model, from the Cayenne to the Panamera to the Taycan, has to be able to pass this. In the Taycan's case it's particularly brutal apparently, since it's one of the heaviest and also one of the hardest-accelerating cars in Porsche's lineup, which gives the brakes not just a harder workout, but far less time to cool between stops as well.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28915025/porsche-taycan-huge-brakes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Can you talk more about some of the supplier issues working with Tesla?

Can't really but the gist is that I feel that it all stems from Tesla thinking building cars are just like building juiceros but there's an insane amount of institutional knowledge in automotive. Tesla thinks they can just ignore it and you end up with hilariously embarrassing things like their paint and build quality. There's a lot of fun things on forums or news like the wood braces and strapping but it's really hard to stress just how completely insane that actually is coming from an OEM. I've also heard more than a few credible stories that are pretty hairy but it's just too risky to talk about, especially with how Tesla is.

Lucid's definitely new to this and doesn't have infrastructure, but the multiple people I've interacted with have been pleasant and professional. I've personally never had a positive interaction with Tesla and not because of anything my company or I did. I'll also say that in my experience the public's perception of a lot of brands is surprisingly accurate to how they operate behind the scenes, in both pros and cons.